PDA

View Full Version : Nice VIdeo of Hike up Katahdin

peakbagger
08-22-2016, 11:49
This couple does a pretty good job doing amateur videos of hikes in the Northeast. A little goofy on occasion but the section climbing up the boulders is probably of interest to folks contemplating the climb.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?58440-Mount-Katadin-Baxter-Peak-Hunt-Trail-AT-8-16-2016

illabelle
08-22-2016, 13:17
Thank you for that, PB!
This is the best video I've seen of the climb up Katahdin. Helps us know how to prepare.

Kaptainkriz
08-22-2016, 19:23
Super video! Gives me a feel for what I need to prepare for. :)

AfterParty
08-22-2016, 19:53
Makes me wanna go Sobo possibly

SkeeterPee
08-22-2016, 23:16
Very nice. Scares the bejesus out of me seeing all those bolder. But maybe everything you do to get there prepares you for that.

Btw, how long was that hike in miles/hours? And is there an easy way down?

TJ aka Teej
08-22-2016, 23:43
Hope they knew they needed to touch the cairn!

peakbagger
08-23-2016, 06:31
Very nice. Scares the bejesus out of me seeing all those bolder. But maybe everything you do to get there prepares you for that.

Btw, how long was that hike in miles/hours? And is there an easy way down?

North bounders will get plenty of practice especially in Maine and NH. Its just a lot more sustained, intense and the exposure with a drop off the sides of the ridge just intensifies the experience. It is probably way too intense on a wet and windy day for some. That said numerous folks climb to the summit daily from young children to folks in their seventies with remarkably few injuries, when there is death its usually cardiac events. Some folks turn around in the boulder section and many folks over estimate their ability and underestimate the hike and end up getting out after dark. There is a spot in the parking lot with a good view of the ridge and I have been there in the evening looking up at the flashlights heading down the ridge. Southbounders on the other hand get to do it cold and I expect some go through a period of introspection climbing up wondering if they bit off more than they could chew. The hardcores who want to carry ther backpack up to the summit have even more of challenge.

There is no "easy way" down but the Saddle trail is less hard than the rest, it is in valley versus a ridge so visually its less threatening. It does descend a very step active gravel slide with the distinct potential of folks upslope starting a rock fall. It also ends up on the wrong side of the mountain. I plan to be trying out the newly relocated Abol trail in few weeks but expect its still going to be steep. The recently reopened Northern Peaks trail is the most gradual and really doesn't have any boulder fields but is significantly longer and really isn't suitable except for those backpacking as it ends up at Russell Pond a remote outpost in the center or the park which can only be reached by backpacking in.

Time to hike up the Hunt trail (the AT) can vary widely. I swear some thru hikers jog up it fueled by adrenalin, others take 6 to 7 hours (start at sunrise and get down at sunset). I am slow and steady hiker carrying a fair share of extra ballast and usually figure 4 to 5 hours up. The video does not do justice to the views up on the ridge, on a clear day its real hard to keep forward progress as every spot is a photo op. As noted in the video there are many false summits along the ridge of the Hunt trail. The park rates the weather forecast everyday, it can be real unpleasant experience on a class 2 day, that's why the standard recommendation is book a spare day and hope for a class 1 day. If there is cloud within 100 miles its probably going to end up forming on the summit.

linus72
08-23-2016, 09:12
this one is great too, followed him the whole time. the most detail ive seen of the climb up ​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ej5lMtxms

SkeeterPee
08-23-2016, 09:59
Thanks Peakbagger.

skinnbones
08-23-2016, 21:04
So much for the thought of lugging my full pack up to the top, thinking my pack earned the right to touch the sign too. Think I'll just take my day pack. May take some time, but I'm sure my Gregory will understand and forgive me.