PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a trail to hike in the coming weeks

centerfieldr162
08-22-2016, 19:41
Hey everyone.. Labor day weekend so happens to be my birthday and me and my best friend were wanting to do some hiking to celebrate. Here's the problem, I'm not sure where to go. We will be in the Birmingham, AL area and the plan is to get up early in the morning and drive to a trailhead and drive home or car camp. Oak Mountain and Cheaha are out of the question because we want a change of scenery.

We thought about hiking the approach at Amicalola Falls but don't know if we could roundtrip that in one day and still drive home. Also considered Blood Mountain in GA. We are willing to drive 3ish hours to the trailhead.. any thoughts? Any advice is appreciated and welcomed. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Tractor
08-22-2016, 19:57
Savage Gulf?

la.lindsey
08-22-2016, 20:21
Cloudland Canyon or maybe noccalulu falls? (Have never hiked either. Just guessing based on location.)

Chattanooga is probably in the 3hr range, so maybe Cumberland trail section?

Uhh...have you hiked all of Red Mountain yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
08-22-2016, 22:07
Sipsey Wilderness (http://www.sipseywilderness.org/maps/mapindex.html).
It's about 2 hours or so north - northwest of Birmingham...
However it might be better suited to back country camping (don't think there are any front country camp sites).

HooKooDooKu
08-22-2016, 22:15
Uhh...have you hiked all of Red Mountain yet?
I assume you're talking about Red Mountain Park (http://redmountainpark.org).
This is a very urban park. It is wooded, and a nice place for day hikes, well over a dozen miles of trail. But I don't see it as a place to celebrate... unless you are going to do something like include the zip line tour.

Oh, and a word of warning to anyone going to Red Mountain Park, maps (including the online version) are not up-to-date. Additional trails exist beyond what is currently shown on the maps.

Secondmouse
08-23-2016, 11:35
you want a day hike or an overnight? if you are considering coming into N GA there are plenty of trails that can be done singly or strung together for whatever length you want.

an interesting destination is the Gennett Poplar tree. here's a link to it from the Bear Creek Trail. this area is crisscrossed with trails that can make a loop or out and back... -- http://www.atlantatrails.com/hiking-trails/hiking-bear-creek-and-the-giant-gennett-poplar/

HooKooDooKu
08-23-2016, 12:54
Another spot close to Birmingham is Cheaha State Park. It boasts to having the "highest point in Alabama" (2,407').
I've never been there, so I couldn't help with any questions about it... but I've heard there are some hiking loops and they seem to have front country camp grounds.

la.lindsey
08-23-2016, 14:04
Another spot close to Birmingham is Cheaha State Park. It boasts to having the "highest point in Alabama" (2,407').
I've never been there, so I couldn't help with any questions about it... but I've heard there are some hiking loops and they seem to have front country camp grounds.

Cheaha is out. See OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Secondmouse
08-23-2016, 14:19
...Oak Mountain and Cheaha are out of the question because we want a change of scenery...

woops...

:D

swisscross
08-23-2016, 14:35
Walls of Jericho, Hytop, AL
Providence Canyon, Lumpkin, Ga