PDA

View Full Version : Finances on trail

Tolmann
08-22-2016, 21:23
Trying to figure out the best way to handle money. A quick search on the forums shows a discussion back in 2010. Not sure if anything has changed. Anyone try using Apple Pay or any thing like it. I'm imagining most places along the trail are probably not using the latest in technology. I think I'll just set up a checking account and use a debit card. I've heard some rumblings that some hotels only accept credit cards? What has been folk's more recent experience?

OCDave
08-22-2016, 21:35
Can you set up Apple Pay without a credit card?

Hikingjim
08-22-2016, 21:48
I just go cash/credit mostly because my CDN debit cards seem to fail.
Bring some cash along for certain things that are cash only, such as shuttles, misc purchases. I don't see how you'd have any issues with cash/debit combo. Only thing might be if you were reserving a room you might need CC. Any vendor that doesn't take cash and wants to pay the average 2% CC processing fees is not very smart

Slo-go'en
08-22-2016, 22:05
I use a debit card for major purchases, like motels and at chain grocery stores. Nickle and dime stuff I pay cash, like at convenient stores or iffy looking swipe machines. Hostels mostly prefer cash for obvious reasons.

bemental
08-22-2016, 22:32
I carried $20-$30 in mixed bills for the occasion when a business didn't accept credit/debit, using my bank card as the primary means of paying for everything.

Would suggest carrying two cards just in case. A handful of thru hikers this year all had to get their cards replaced because of fraudulent activity, some getting stuck in town for a few days waiting on a new card to arrive.

-----

I would also suggest keeping a list of transactions while you're out on the trail to track your spending. I used an app on my phone to quickly jot down the business/amount. Helped me gauge how well I was sticking to my budget for the month and if I had any wiggle room to treat myself to a hostel or nice dinner (or whether I was going to have to cruise through town, resupply, eat, and leave all in the same day).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AfterParty
08-22-2016, 22:54
Take out 300 in cash monthly. Card for emergency's is my plan. Food and the occasional luxury tenting almost always.

jjozgrunt
08-23-2016, 22:46
First time to the USA so excuse the silly questions. I presume ATM's are quite frequent? Can you get cash out with eftpos purchases at the larger stores? I plan to use a Master Card that you load up with $us in advance, anyone have experience using them in the states? as I have had some problems with them in other countries. Is the USA chip and pin, paywave, phone or signatures when using Credit Cards?

firesign
08-24-2016, 10:51
First time to the USA so excuse the silly questions. I presume ATM's are quite frequent? Can you get cash out with eftpos purchases at the larger stores? I plan to use a Master Card that you load up with $us in advance, anyone have experience using them in the states? as I have had some problems with them in other countries. Is the USA chip and pin, paywave, phone or signatures when using Credit Cards?

Its not a silly question. I started off with about 3,000 cash, the other 7,000 I loaded onto a Mastercard from a travel agency. Changed the PIN at an ATM in England and used it to withdraw cash down the trail. I never used it to make purchases, everything cash (to void fraud) Check how much you are allowed to withdraw each day, mine was 500 which was more than enough. I used a waterproof money belt in town only, for my cash, cards (had a debit card for backup), passport and ins doc. I wish you well.

NewGuyOne
08-24-2016, 11:44
Did you spend much of that 7000? I assume you mean dollars not pounds?

Odd Man Out
08-24-2016, 12:18
When I travel, I carry an ATM card (without a credit card logo). I can use that to get cash at ATM's and there is no fear of fraudulent use if lost as it can't be used for debit card transactions. However these are becoming hard to find. I also have three credit cards (2 Visa and Discover) and a debit card (with a MC logo). For a hike I may not bring all, but I do like backup. Most I keep in my wallet, but some will be stashed elsewhere so all don't get lost together. Phone numbers for calling banks are stored in my phone so I don't lose the phone number with the card.

Getting cash from an ATM with a credit card has very stiff fees so that is only for emergencies. You can get cash back with debit card transactions at some stores. I can also do that with my Discover Credit Card with no fees, but only some stores offer. For foreign guests, check to see if your credit card charges an international transaction fee. Most US credit cards do. One of my Visa cards and my Discover card do not have foreign fees so I use those when traveling abroad.

Also, when traveling you must tell the credit card companies and banks where you will be going. If my cards are used out of my normal area, their computers will automatically reject the transactions and freeze the accounts for suspicious activity. I hope hikers have not waited to get new cards just because of this. All you have to do is call the banks, tell them where you are, and they reactivate. Last week I forgot to tell the bank I was going to NH and sure enough my cards were rejected. One call fixed it.

turtle fast
08-24-2016, 15:32
If it were me, it would be ATM card and take out $300-500 at a time to last through sections without ATMs. Cash transactions are the most common.....as they say Cash is king. Then it would be wise to have a credit card for hotel stays.

kayak karl
08-24-2016, 17:31
I used a debit card. always accepted. carried about 50-100 cash. the debit account i moved money into from a seperate account. never more then $100 on card if i lost it.

atraildreamer
08-25-2016, 18:04
Check and see if your bank has an agreement with US banks to honor each others ATM/debit cards. Many do, and it can save you a lot of money in fees.

One Half
10-04-2016, 11:14
I never use my debit card. Too much fraud and when it comes out of your bank account it can be a pain to get your money back. CC have much better protection. Even for every day use I take out cash from my bank in person and use that to pay for smaller items. Helps me stay in budget. Also, I use a credit union instead of a bank. My credit union participates in "shared banking" so that means any other credit union that also does the shared banking treats me just as if I was their own member. I don't know if that will help along the AT (would depend on CU locations) but it helped when I moved from MA to NH and then to TX. MA to NH I kept the same credit union and used shared branching a LOT. Same when we moved to TX though we did switch credit unions after about 5 months to a local CU which we used quite a bit before we moved our accounts. Now when I go back east for a visit and I need cash, I just head to the local wallyworld and they usually have a CU I can use.

MuddyWaters
10-04-2016, 12:20
Credit card gives up to 2% points or cash back in all you spend.
Debit card don't give nothing. I get hundreds per year in benefits back, your just giving away if use debit or cash for expenses.

I never use debit card for that reason. Plus atm fees to get cash are outrageous except own bank.

Starchild
10-04-2016, 14:34
CC for most transactions, DC as an emergency back up to the CC and to withdraw cash, apx $300 at a time. IIRC I had to hit a ATM 1x during my thru.

CarlZ993
10-04-2016, 15:45
I tended to use my CC as much as possible. I used my debit card to hit some ATMs along the way as pocket money lessened. I'd draw out $200-300 at a time & it would last me quite a while. All my ATM withdrawals were 'out of network' (Credit Union back home) so & would make the most of the ATM fees that were charged.