PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Winter fun

Mags
01-09-2006, 15:00
As mentioned, I am lousy skiier. But, does not stop me from doing it. :-)

I have been doing backcountry skiing since I moved out to Colorado. What is backcoutnry skiing? Basically it is cross country skiing beefed up. The skis have edges for basic turns, the skis have "fish scales" (grooves) on them for climbs up moderate slopes.

However, if you are going up steeper terrain and going down steeper slopes (I think Colorado may have one or two of those areas that fit the bill. :D), you need skis that are wider and allow more control. Being able to put on skins (used to be real fur..now it is artificial) for going up hill. You can free heel it for climbing. (Unlike downhill skiing, which you are locked in, you use chair lifts). Randonee/Alpine touring looks like what most people think of as ski boots. You can lock in for down hill turning. Made for wide, gorgeous bowls. Think the Alps (where randonee is very popular).

Telemark (invented in Norway) you free heel it on the way down. It is great for thickly wooded areas. An excellent telemark skiier looks so graceful going downhiil. I am not that type of skiier. :)

That's backcountry skiing at a very basic form. Some may quibble with the details..but you get the idea.

I took my backcoutnry skiis last week to a small cabin. It was steep going up. Barely made it with the fishscales. Even wax (really old school) would not have helped. Going down was esp. interesting as well!

I've had tele boots for years as I got a good deal on them. Hardly tele skiied, though. Well, after last week, went to the used sporting good store below my office. Picked up some used skis, bindings and skins ($55 total. Woo hoo!). This past Saturday, took the gear out.

Beautiful Colorado day. The continental divide was stark white against the sky. The day was sunny. Man..life is good. CLimbing up is easy for me. Heck, I am in good cardio shape. No problem.

Going down is another story. :) I became one with the snow..as in doing face plants. Made it back to the trail....yay! No more "Tree skiing". Well, the day was warm. But does melted snow do when the weather gets a little colder and is out of the sun? It freezes! So I was able to go down an icy trail. :D Once on the trail, though, made good time.

Got back to the car where two of my friends already were. Drove to the little mountain town called Nederland (Ned) and went to the Katmandu and CHOWED on some of the best nepalli/indian food around. Hot chai, naturally.

What a great day..beautiful scenery, good company and was able to practice my skiing for a hut trip next weekend (Two days and nights in a backcountry hut...oh yeah!). Even bumping into my former girlfiend at the restaurant could not dampen the day. ;) (Think my friends were more worried than I !)

Yep..life is good.

Pics: http://gallery.backcountry.net/cowint06?&page=5

800x600. If you need higher res, e-mail me.

01-09-2006, 15:10
Yea, yea, yea....
quit rubbing it in. That is unless you want more hiker trash sleeping on your floor for days on end.

Mags
01-09-2006, 15:25
Yea, yea, yea....
quit rubbing it in. That is unless you want more hiker trash sleeping on your floor for days on end.

Tell you what, I am organzing a hiker get together just so I can see more hiker trash. ;)

Was pleasure hosting you, Almanac and DB!

But, I'm still going to brag about my little ole corner of the world. :)

MOWGLI
01-09-2006, 15:32
Mags:

YOu are having way too much fun out there! I Just had Martha out in Vail for 7 days. She didn't do anything in the backcountry, but she hit the slopes at Beaver Creek.

Martha & I are hoping to maybe get out there in the summer again. We'd both like to do another week or so on a different section of the CT.

On another note, my eldest daughter is probably moving out to the Boulder areain October, so now my wife is open to the idea of relocating to Colorado. Wouldn't that be SWEET! Probably wouldn't happen for another 2.5 years at a minimum though.

Mags
01-09-2006, 15:40
Mags:
On another note, my eldest daughter is probably moving out to the Boulder areain October, so now my wife is open to the idea of relocating to Colorado. Wouldn't that be SWEET! Probably wouldn't happen for another 2.5 years at a minimum though.

Good deal! Think your daughter will love it out here! She going to CU?

I hope to be on the CDT this year..but will be back in November if she needs a contact out here.

If you make it out here...well, I think you'll enjoy it just a smidge. ;)

MOWGLI
01-10-2006, 08:14
Good deal! Think your daughter will love it out here! She going to CU?

Nah, the eldest is out of school. Her fiance got transferred, and its effective in the fall. Although Martha has expressed interest in atending CU. She's still only 15 though, so that could change next week.

I'm torn again between hiking in Maine and hiking more of the CT. I think I'm leaning towards the CT, but we'll see.

Mags
01-10-2006, 12:53
I am very active with an outdoor group here. We are mid-20s to early 40s pretty much. If her and her fiance are into the outdoors at all and are looking for a group to get to know people, well, have her give me a holler. We are pretty much a a social group that does outdoor stuff.

The activity level of the members range from people who do a hike at the local park once in a while to people who have done 8000m peaks. Lots of room under our tent. :)

If you do the CT again, well..I don't have to tell you how gorgeous it will be. :)

snowhoe
01-10-2006, 13:47
Backcountry riding is awesome I do not ski I snowboard. If you are going to ride in the backcountry you should get a beakon. Their is nothing like hiking for every turn you make in untracked powder. You should try hiking some of the back bowls at vail, keystone , breck, and steamboat. You can get alot more turns in if a lift takes you to the top and you spend about an hour hiking and looking for great powder staches. Thats one of the reasons I live here.

Mags
01-10-2006, 14:03
You can get alot more turns in if a lift takes you to the top and you spend about an hour hiking and looking for great powder staches. Thats one of the reasons I live here.

Ack! Resorts! Evil! :D

In all seriousness, I don't enjoy resorts as they are too croweded and $$$. I prefer ski touring to turns. But, that's what is cool about life: Many different choices for many different people!

Hey..you should comes to the Rockies Ruck. Footslogger will be there and others! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockies_ruck/

Feb 24th- 26th in Leadville.

snowhoe
01-10-2006, 14:23
That sounds pretty cool. I would like to come out to Leadville even if its just for the day.I am leaving to go to the A.T on March 14th and a couple people I know are going. I will see if they would be intrested in going also. I saw you dont like ski resorts but ther is a great little resort called Ski cooper just outside of Leadville. Its small but they always have great snow. Maybe you could bring you skis and hit it up. Lift ticket is only $30.00. Its pretty laid back.