PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest option

skinnbones
08-25-2016, 13:34
Are there other options besides buying an expensive Ursack or bear canister? I recently purchased some odor-free bags with the thinking that I could now place food into any type of water-proof bag. I could really use some advice on the whole Bear hanging, food bags, and such. My pack is almost complete, just need to get my food issue solved. Oh, and on a side note without going commando, what are my options with underwear? I just can't force myself to spend $25 for a pair of underwear. Thanks.

Gambit McCrae
08-25-2016, 13:36
If you are speaking of the AT, don't worry about it. Only place that it is required is 7 miles in GA. Around Neel gap to jarrard gap I think? double check the stretch it is required, and just walk thru that without camping. Only required if camping in that stretch

skinnbones
08-25-2016, 13:46
If you are speaking of the AT, don't worry about it. Only place that it is required is 7 miles in GA. Around Neel gap to jarrard gap I think? double check the stretch it is required, and just walk thru that without camping. Only required if camping in that stretchYes, thru hiking the A.T. next spring. "Don't worry about it"... you mean the canister?

colorado_rob
08-25-2016, 13:51
Yes, thru hiking the A.T. next spring. "Don't worry about it"... you mean the canister?No bear canister or URsacks required or really ever seen on the AT. Hang your food or sleep with it, your choice. Couple places have rules, like the little 5 mile stretch mentioned below, and the national parks, just follow the rules (hang on cables, use bear boxes, etc).

I didn't see one single canister or even URsack on my entire AT hike.

tarditi
08-25-2016, 14:05
ExOfficio boxer briefs and never chafe with them... worth the money to me... you can get cheaper knockoffs, but only really need 2-3 pair
You may try bodyglide or something - you can still chafe commando, depending on the shorts/pants you wear

HooKooDooKu
08-25-2016, 14:41
Oh, and on a side note without going commando, what are my options with underwear? I just can't force myself to spend $25 for a pair of underwear.
This is one place you don't want anything that "rubs you the wrong way".
Check out Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com). They usually have ExOfficio underwear for <$20 (if they have your size in stock for the style you're looking for).
If you're willing to spend $50, you should be able to find (or sign up for) coupons that will not only lower the cost (by about 25%) but also free shipping (they have outrageous shipping costs, so you need to find/wait-for a coupon that will include reduced or free shipping).

swisscross
08-25-2016, 14:43
Massdrop has Exofficio briefs often.
i like Under Amour briefs. Can find them on sale every so often.

Ktaadn
08-25-2016, 15:00
I use an ursack minor and UA 9" boxerjocks. I really like them both.

MuddyWaters
08-25-2016, 15:21
Go to WalmartBuy a starter brand compression shorts

Puddlefish
08-25-2016, 15:22
Reebok Mens Performance Boxer Brief, about $10 on Amazon.

Most of my food and all of my trash ended up in zip lock bags. Any old dry bag is fine.

I did particularly like the z-line from Zpacks.com that was light and slick, so it didn't cut branches or get coated with pitch. I know you're trying to save money, but compared to some of the bulky, heavy line I saw some people using I think it was worth the extra few bucks.

Gambit McCrae
08-25-2016, 15:26
ExOfficio boxer briefs and never chafe with them... worth the money to me... you can get cheaper knockoffs, but only really need 2-3 pair
You may try bodyglide or something - you can still chafe commando, depending on the shorts/pants you wear

This is my choice for 2 years now.. just bought myself a new pair on ebay 23 bucks brand new with tags woohoo

Greenlight
08-25-2016, 15:42
As for the bottom half of your question, even at $25 a pair, moisture wicking compression shorts are probably the best choice. You don't have to buy UA or Nike, Gander Mountain, Cabelas, and others have their own brand. I think WallyWorld even carries the Starter brand and they're not bad, but they're bulkier than the others. I think I paid about fifteen bucks a pair at Gander Mountain for their guide series shorts. Buy a pair and a spare, you're only talking a couple of ounces.

Are there other options besides buying an expensive Ursack or bear canister? I recently purchased some odor-free bags with the thinking that I could now place food into any type of water-proof bag. I could really use some advice on the whole Bear hanging, food bags, and such. My pack is almost complete, just need to get my food issue solved. Oh, and on a side note without going commando, what are my options with underwear? I just can't force myself to spend $25 for a pair of underwear. Thanks.

Odd Man Out
08-25-2016, 16:10
I doubt there are comprehensive data on food storage strategies used by AT hikers. On the Internet, 92.3% of statistics are made up, including this one. But I would hazard to guess that relatively few long distance AT hikers use bear proof containers (Ursacks and Canisters) and the vast majority either sleep with their food, hang their food correctly, or hang their food incorrectly. So assuming you want to avoid canisters and go with the crowd, those are your three options.

Hanging your food incorrectly is obviously not recommended, but all AT hikers know this to be very common. If you choose to hang your food, read up on the PCT method and learn to do it correctly. People get away with bad hangs because the bear threat on the AT is pretty low (hence the advice "not to worry about it"). While you occasionally hear about people who loose their food, you don't tend to hear about the thousands (millions) of AT hikes who do not have any problems. Again, I've seen no hard data, but I would assume that the people who hang their food incorrectly will be the first to loose it. For a correct hang you will need a sturdy waterproof bag to keep your food in. The ZPacks Blast Food Bag is a very popular choice, although there are many other similar products available. ZPacks sells theirs in a kit that includes the necessary cord, carbiner, and rock sack. You will also want a sturdy food bag if you choose to sleep with your food. The bottom line is you do not want to leave your food unattended where bears can get it.

Not sure what you mean by "odor free bag". Do you mean unscented or odor barrier? There have been a few threads on odor barrier bags recently. I know of no evidence that having an odor barrier bag would help, but it certainly wouldn't hurt and is a cheap and light weight way to enhance your food storage strategy that makes sense no matter what method your choose (canister, hang, or sleep).

One last comment. Appreciate that keeping bears (and other animals) out of your food is not just to protect the food, but also to protect the bears and other hikers.

RockDoc
08-25-2016, 16:40
Don't worry about a bear canister for the AT. If there is a problem you will hear about it beforehand and you can avoid that location, or take action such as doing a good food hang.

Regarding quality undershorts, I think that's the best money I've ever spent!!

saltysack
08-25-2016, 17:06
Forget canister..line food bag with odor barrier or nothing....UA compression boxers are well worth the $$$$.....I chafe easily but never with these. I wear the same 2 pair several times per week crosstraining and always hiking....I also have 6 pair of exofficio but prefer the compression UA for physical activity...tried a cheap knockoff at Target...never again....save elsewhere....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christoph
08-25-2016, 17:28
Personally, I used one of those really light rope type nylon backpacks for my food. That did the trick, although I had a mouse decide he wanted some food, but it still held up well. Just take care hanging your food and pretty much anything will work. I freezer bagged everything in it too and even hung my trash in it. No worries on the AT for the most part. As for undies... well commando here when I hike so no suggestions from me that'll help.

skinnbones
08-25-2016, 19:11
Go to WalmartBuy a starter brand compression shortsJust did. Thanks.

bigcranky
08-25-2016, 19:58
1. Do some google searches on the PCT Method for bear bag hanging. If done well, it's a good reliable hang and requires only a stuff sack, some slick rope, and a small micro carabiner. I use the Zpacks cuben bear bag, but it's expensive and not really necessary. The place to spend money is on the line - some good slick Spectra line, not too thin, so it glides over tree branches and doesn't dig in.

2. Commando. Follow Fletcher's Second Law of Hiking Thermodynamics. :)

dig4dirt
08-28-2016, 10:44
Just did. Thanks.

Another place...
Kmart also sells athletech (or something) brand. I own 3-4 pairs. have 6 and 9 inch inseam. They are like $6-9 and almost always on sale for 20-33% off.
The shirts are also wicking and like $12 or so.

rocketsocks
08-28-2016, 11:12
Number 6 fig leaf...on a sliding scale.

rocketsocks
08-28-2016, 11:14
C9 from target boxer briefs, 4 pack for about $22 IIRC

MtDoraDave
08-29-2016, 21:03
When I go hiking, I wear the same boxers I do every other day, and haven't had any issues for a week at a time.

When I was in boot camp, prior to our long hike, the drill instructor suggested wearing a pair of running shorts under the camouflage pants rather than the tighty whiteys we were issued. At the end of that hike, my you-know-what had rubbed itself raw from the friction it wasn't accustomed to.
I can tell you, from that experience, that $25 is cheap if it prevents such an occurrence. Spend the money on whatever you need to be comfortable and chafe-free on your hike!

I was willing to pay $250 for boots that fit properly so I wouldn't get blisters! I told the guy at the outfitter that I didn't want to see or know the prices as I was trying on the different boots. I'm not a wealthy person by ANY stretch of the word, but there are some things worth spending the money on... It turns out that the ones that fit my feet the best were only $120, so I got lucky - but I was willing because blisters would do a good job of damaging if not ruining a perfectly awesome trip.