PDA

View Full Version : Packit Gourmet

pickle
08-25-2016, 15:03
has anyone tried Packit Gourmet
the only problem I was concern with was the cost of shipping as they only give you 1 option

DuneElliot
08-25-2016, 15:18
I know someone on another forum who uses them and seems to like them

Hosh
08-25-2016, 16:26
I have purchased their breakfast drinks, butter powder and powdered eggs in the past. The quality is good, cost seemed kinda high, but I dehydrate my own stuff, so I'm cheap.

Shipping cost are pretty steep, especially from Austin to Denver. However they do have a broad selection which makes shopping easier.

jjozgrunt
08-25-2016, 16:37
I love their food and have it shipped to Australia. Less additives than most other companies and tastes like real food. Love there breakfast food especially, it makes a great change to oats.

imscotty
08-25-2016, 16:45
Hello Pickle,

I use Packit Gourmet and have been very happy with the quality and taste. Some of my favorite meals are the Market Pasta Puttanesca or Beef Bolognese (warning, the pasta meals need cook more so use more fuel), Texas State Fair Chile and the Big Easy Gumbo. Their Austintacious Tortilla Soup is tasty, but has fewer calories. I eat that my first day out when I am not too hungry. The breakfast shakes are a tasty way to start the morning (especially the peach), but are pricey for the calories you get. I've tried their 'Many Bean Salad' and 'Wild Carrot Salad' under 'sides', but they don't seem to be what I want to eat when I am on the trail.

To stretch my budget I mix the Packit dinners with some store bought items. For example I think the Texas Chili is great when put on top of some easily cooked up Near East Couscous.

imscotty
08-25-2016, 16:49
JJOzGrunt says it well, you feel like you are eating real quality, healthy ingredients. They are worth the extra cost in my opinion.

RockDoc
08-25-2016, 16:49
I didn't like what I saw in the ingredients and nutrition tabs. Lots of partially hydrogenated industrial seed oils, multiple forms of sugar including evaporated cane juice, corn syrup, sugar, sugar, and more sugar.

Why take the industrial SAD (Standard American Diet) on your hike? It is responsible for so much sickness. Hiking is your big chance to eat real food, not cr@p. And at over $1/ounce for most PG entrees!! Ugh.

Real food= bacon, avocado, cheese, eggs, vegetables (dried for hiking), fish, etc. This food won't hurt you, it is ancestral and proven to work.

saltysack
08-25-2016, 16:58
Hamburger rap is really good...little pricy with shipping as most backpacking meals...Hawkvittles used to offer free shipping with good size order. I typically order 12+ meals once a year to supplement Idahoans etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-25-2016, 16:58
Wrap....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V Eight
08-25-2016, 18:27
I have bought from them many times. I will stock up in late summer or early fall
for some of my longer winter hikes. When it's cold and getting dark early,
they can really hit the spot for me. I would usually get 15 or 20 items per order
and did not think the shipping was out of line. I have not been there yet this year,
so maybe the rates have gone up.

V8

SWODaddy
08-25-2016, 18:28
Fun for a weekend out. Not a lot of calories IMO for any distance hiking. Agree that they really bend you over on shipping.

AfterParty
10-09-2016, 21:33
I just got the large sample pack. I need to get some chips and tortillas the banana pudding was good.

Wise Old Owl
10-09-2016, 23:11
I didn't like what I saw in the ingredients and nutrition tabs. Lots of partially hydrogenated industrial seed oils, multiple forms of sugar including evaporated cane juice, corn syrup, sugar, sugar, and more sugar.

Why take the industrial SAD (Standard American Diet) on your hike? It is responsible for so much sickness. Hiking is your big chance to eat real food, not cr@p. And at over $1/ounce for most PG entrees!! Ugh.

Real food= bacon, avocado, cheese, eggs, vegetables (dried for hiking), fish, etc. This food won't hurt you, it is ancestral and proven to work.

Sad to say I agree with your position - but disagree with some of this, I think Hydrogenated Oils are aweful - but they do not go rancid long term. Leaf Lard won't keep on the trail over the course of a week at hiking temps and I would not take the risk unless someone can prove otherwise. Fat is is the only thing that is quickly converted by the body that delivers energy. High fat = energy, Real butter is still my go to, combined with hard boiled eggs. Protein feeds muscles as much as a tiny amount of Magnesium.

Sugars will continue to be a quick fix that will be converted to energy by the Pancreas.

Uncle Joe
10-10-2016, 08:47
Love PackIt Gourmet!

Five Tango
10-10-2016, 09:14
I had some Ramen Rescue last week-pretty awesome!They also make one with black beans for tortillas and sauces which is pretty good as well.

ryply76
10-21-2016, 15:35
They are good in conjunction with stuff you already have. Bit pricey.

JumpMaster Blaster
10-21-2016, 18:21
Yes, Packit Gourmet is pricey, but I don't make them my primary meal source. I'll take two entrees (Texas State Fair Chili is a MUST!) and combine them with my other food. The chicken salad is very good, as is the carrots & raisin salad and the burger wrap.

But the Texas State Fair Chili...

AfterParty
10-21-2016, 18:35
Chili, chicken wrap, burger is weird but great Tortilla soup is pretty good too. Don't like the red sauce with noodles or bean dip. Queso was decent pico good. smoothy nasty still need try the biskets and gravy. Ramen rescue totally ruined my blue ramen experience but I enjoy blue Raman anyways. All in all it was worth sampling now I know which ones to get in more quantities. For once a day it isn't that bad IMO but I wish they had some kinda bulk option.

MuddyWaters
10-22-2016, 00:43
They are OK, not as great as some think imo. I found some things didn't rehydrate that well.

Tear outer bag seal and vent air and take up a lot less room than MH in food bag.

Not all freeze dried, some things like pasta require boiling to. A bit misleading