PDA

View Full Version : Where in Maine to get on/off

Sorcerer
01-09-2006, 15:26
Where in Maine could a person reasonably get on and off the trail? Is it reasonably easy to reach public transportation to/from Andover?

I'm going to hike from Hanover to somewhere around Andover and then I have to get off for a couple of weeks and then I'm planning on coming back to finish.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Footslogger
01-09-2006, 15:33
Don't have an answer for you but I'm paying close attention to the replies you get. The wife and I are hiking Gorham to Monson this coming July. Haven't decided whether to do it north or south bound. A lot depends on logistics and available shuttles.

Glad you asked this question ...

'Slogger

swift
01-09-2006, 16:30
Talk to Don lema or Susan at the Maine Roadhouse/Stratton Motel in Rangeley/Stratton area. They will take you or pick you up anywhere you want to go just about anywhere in Maine, as well as provide lodging if you desire. Great people. Tell em I said HI!

swift
01-09-2006, 16:31
whoops. number is 207-246-2060 or email at www.maineroadhouse.com

Peaks
01-09-2006, 17:45
I don't think that you can reasonably get to any public transportation from the AT anywhere in Maine. In Millinocket it's as good as it gets.

In order to get to public transportation, you will need to rely on a shuttle. Contact the ATC for their shuttle list.

And, by the way, public transportation in Maine is bus to Bangor or Portland.

Roland
01-09-2006, 18:58
Sorcerer & 'Slogger,

Because I live in the area and have never needed the services you ask about, I may not be the most qualified to respond, but here goes...

There is daily public transportation to & from Gorham, provided by Trailways. You can see their schedule here:

http://www.concordtrailways.com/berlin_conway_newhampshire_bus_schedule.htm

I am not aware of public transportation in Andover. I remember reading Ron Moak's journal, where his wife mentioned getting a ride to Andover (or Rangely?) from the owner of Hikers' Paradise, in Gorham. You could call to see if they still offer this service (603-466-2732). I have never stayed here; reviews are mixed.

The ATC shuttle list shows Arthur Jolin as a local shuttle provider. Here is his contact info:

Arthur Jolin
Gorham, NH
(603) 466-2127

If I can help you out in any way, don't hesitate to ask.

Footslogger
01-09-2006, 19:26
Roland,

Thanks for the info and your offer to help. Once we lock in on a starting place and hiking direction I'll be checking those resources and making firm plans. Just not sure yet wheter it would be easier to get to/from Gorham at the beginning or end of the hike. Either way it's going to be a trick getting in (and maybe out of) Monson.

'Slogger

Roland
01-09-2006, 19:50
Roland,

Thanks for the info and your offer to help. Once we lock in on a starting place and hiking direction I'll be checking those resources and making firm plans. Just not sure yet wheter it would be easier to get to/from Gorham at the beginning or end of the hike. Either way it's going to be a trick getting in (and maybe out of) Monson.

'Slogger
From a transportation-logistics point-of-view only, I would start in Monson, since you could get transportation out of Gorham regardless of what day you arrive.

Of course, there may be a dozen other reasons why it would make sense to hike this section in the opposite direction...

Footslogger
01-09-2006, 19:52
From a transportation-logistics point-of-view only, I would start in Monson, since you could get transportation out of Gorham regardless of what day you arrive.

Of course, there may be a dozen other reasons why it would make sense to hike this section in the opposite direction...
=============================================
That's the direction we were headed (at least thoughtwise) at this point. We might even go beyond Gorham a little and include the Wilcats, ending up at Pinkham.

'Slogger

Roland
01-09-2006, 20:04
=============================================
That's the direction we were headed (at least thoughtwise) at this point. We might even go beyond Gorham a little and include the Wilcats, ending up at Pinkham.

'Slogger
The bus makes a stop at Pinkham. Or, it's an easy hitch to Gorham, if you need the town services.

Footslogger
01-09-2006, 20:33
The bus makes a stop at Pinkham. Or, it's an easy hitch to Gorham, if you need the town services.
===================================
I didn't know about the bus but I have experience hitching between Pinkham and Gorham so I knew that wouldn't be a biggie.

Thanks again ...

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2006, 20:43
Public transportation in the Andover area?

I don't think so.

Your best bet is to contact a reliable local resident in Andover (the fine folks at either the Pine Ellis Guest House or The Cabin hostel for example) and talk to them about shuttles and rides. You can find their contact information in the On-Line Thru-Hikers Companion (www.aldha.org). Otherwise, see the Master Shuttle List at the ATC website, www.atconf.org

Greyhound used to service Gorham NH. Whether they go anywhere closer to Andover, I don't know, but a visit to their website will list all routes and service options/stops for Maine and NH.

Your best bet as a Northbounder might be to get to Hanover (very easily accessible by bus; there's regular daily service from Boston and other points; there's also an Amtrak station in nearby White River, Vt.); then hike north from Hanover to wherever, and then arrange a ride back to where you left your vehicle or to the nearest place with bus service.

Be aware that in the absence of public transportation, you may well have to depend on local shuttlers. Prices and services will differ depending on who you ask, so ask around. Be aware that there aren't a whole lot of efficieient east-west roads in central New Hampshire, so shuttling by car from Eastern Maine or from Gorham back to Hanover is time-consuming and may well cost more than you'd expect. Your best bet from the Andover area might be a shuttle to Lewiston ME or perhaps Gorham, where you could then get to wherever you need to be. The folks at the Pine Ellis or the Cabin can answer all your questions as they've shuttled folks all over Maine for many years.

TJ aka Teej
01-09-2006, 23:29
ATers making Maine plans need to know that the Andover Guest House, Pine Ellis in Andover, and Shaw's in Monson were all for sale last I knew.

Almost There
01-09-2006, 23:32
It's lookin more and more like I might not be hiking Maine as a section this year. Hopefully some of these locations solidify in the next few months, or I might have to pick up another section instead.

Footslogger
01-10-2006, 11:14
Anybody know if the Pie Lady in Monson is still taking in hikers ?? Might need that as a back-up if Shaws is down by July.

'Slogger

Sorcerer
01-10-2006, 11:29
I was hoping for advice on the best place in the first 80 (or so) trail miles in Maine where I can get on/off the trail with the least headache and expense. Andover was just a thought....Rangley might be better. I know some of you all have been through there many times.

This will be my first trip into Maine. I'm looking forward to it, even though it will be a bit chilly.

TJ aka Teej
01-10-2006, 11:33
Anybody know if the Pie Lady in Monson is still taking in hikers?

She's sold the hostle (it's now a private residence) and moved up to Greenville. She still does shuttles - something she's been doing since before Shaw's took in hikers. Lindy, of Trail Magic Massage took in hikers for a while, but I think she's done.

Alligator
01-10-2006, 11:52
Darn, I wish I was close to retirement, all these opportunities. I'd set up a little pond that I could let the hikers swim in.

Skyline
01-10-2006, 12:12
Do you have a vehicle yourself? Or could you rent or borrow one? Another alternative would be to advertise on this and other AT-related websites for a hiking partner who also has a vehicle. Then you can shuttle yourselves around Maine at will, and do vehicle-to-vehicle hikes. There are even access points within the "100 Mile Wilderness," tho you have to pay a nominal fee to use some of the roads.

If you did this, be sure to get a Maine DeLorme Gazetteer so you can find all of the obscure AT road crossings, and pick the brains of someone like the folks at the Stratton Motel who have actually been to these road crossings. There are a few that are just not worth the effort, and they can tell you where those are. For example, I overheard Charlie (former owner of the Stratton Motel) tell a hiker seeking a slackpack that the hodge-podge of old roads and snowmobile trails that the map shows might access the road from the "east" just north of Orbeton Stream is one such inadvisable effort.

In '03 I witnessed several section hikers doing exactly this in Maine, and hooked up with some folks myself for a stretch. One downside is that many of the road crossings are in the 20-mile (+/-) range apart, so you're forced to do longer miles than you might otherwise want to. But you can also carry a lot less weight over those miles. Anyway, another idea. Good luck.

walkin' wally
01-10-2006, 12:52
I may be able to help place you from point to point along the northern half of the AT in Maine. I work a compressed schedule so I have a fair amount of time off. If we can match the dates maybe I can help. P M me if you like.

I think the Maine Atlas and Gazeteer is a good idea too.

littledragon
01-10-2006, 13:14
Just found this on the internet:

FOR SALEAfter more than 30 years of serving the Appalachian Trail community, the Shaw family is retiring. Shaw's Lodging is a well established tradition on the trail and is a great opportunity for the hospitality investor or proprietor. If you would like information about how to purchase this business and continue a grand tradition, please contact Jake Morrel at Century 21 Muzzy Real Estate (http://www.c21muzzy.com/) in Greenville, Maine by calling (207) 695-4626.

This is sad. I am glad that I was able to experience Shaw's this past September when we hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness, though. I enjoyed my stay- met some great folks. Even had my breakfast coffee served by Baltimore Jack- that truly added to the whole experience.

I hope whoever takes over will try to continue the tradition.

Footslogger
01-10-2006, 13:49
I agree. Been there twice myself (2001 and 2003) and both times Keith Sr. was there to meet and greet hikers. Definitely the end of an era.

'Slogger

Askus3
01-11-2006, 03:33
Two items, I have alot of valuable information on day hiking the AT in Maine taking advantage of all the road crossings. See my threads and trip reports in my member sub-forum: askus3. I am sure you can pick up a tip there. Links to an excellent photo album to give you a good idea of what to expect. All photos are captioned. I experienced mostly good weather except one day on Katahdin and one day on Bigelow.

I am traveling from the New York area to Andover, ME to continue my next southbound section hike on Sunday, June 4. If that date fits in your plans e-mail me. The section hike is from Andover south to the Androscoggin River valley near Gorham.

Sorcerer
01-11-2006, 11:12
Unfortunately my trip is going to be a little less than ideal, but the last real opportunity to do large parts at a time and this way I can finish it this year.

I'm going to head to Hanover around May 10th via plane and bus. Then I'm going to hike north, utilizing the self-service huts/shelters through the Whites as available (they mostly claim they open May 12th for self-service). I'm going to hike northward for about 3 weeks and then get off and take a vacation with my wife (plane/bus again). Then I'll come back (plane/bus) around June 12th and head north again to finish the trail.

I typically do pretty good miles, but I've never hiked anything like the Whites and/or Maine. I've done the whole AT south of Hanover. I typically average about 20 a day (after I get going) upwards to 30 miles a day (a few times on very flat stuff, mostly in PA). I'm guessing I can make 15 miles a day which may get me up to mid-Maine (I'm actually going to attempt to get in shape before I go on this trip, which I don't usually do). Weather will make a big difference in this section, especially this early in the year. Deep snows will cut this down my mileage significantly. I guess I'll have to play it more by ear. Hopefully I'll be near one of the "shuttlers" listed on the ATC shuttle list. This is going to be a pricey summer trip! :datz

bullseye
01-14-2006, 22:21
I too was at Shaw's last September and got to meet Baltimore Jack and the rest of the crew. Met Keith Sr. the year before. Both he and Shaw's will be sorely missed.

013trailmaster
01-18-2006, 19:18
I met a group being guided by someone who hiked the entire trail in 2001 and said there was access to the 100 mile wilderness about 1/3 of the way in. Any truth to that? Only have about ten days (including drive time from MI) to make the approach and summit Katahdin.

Would appreciate any advise, just can't wait to get back on the trail.

Jack Tarlin
01-18-2006, 19:31
Sorcerer:

Please don't take this question the wrong way, but why are you electing to do this section at this time of year and not later? Is this the only time you can get free?

Two reasons I'm asking: There is still an excellent chance you'll encounter pretty severe weather in the high country, and several of the Huts in the Whites (Lakes of the Clouds and Madison) aren't open til 1 June, meaning you'll have no chance of staying there.

Also, you'll be hiking thru Maine at the height of Black Fly season; depending on the year, this can be pretty horrible, and will definitely impact your trip.

I'd also downgrade your mileage expectations, as these states are a lot tougher than the places you've achieved your big mileage days; there are several places you'll be happy to get 15 miles in, and in all likelihood, due to weather or terrain, there are places you'll make less.

I'm not in any way trying to discourage you, it's one of the great stretches of the Trail, but personally, if possible, I'd pick another time of year.

weary
01-18-2006, 22:15
....Also, you'll be hiking thru Maine at the height of Black Fly season; depending on the year, this can be pretty horrible, and will definitely impact your trip.

I'd also downgrade your mileage expectations, as these states are a lot tougher than the places you've achieved your big mileage days; there are several places you'll be happy to get 15 miles in, and in all likelihood, due to weather or terrain, there are places you'll make less.

I'm not in any way trying to discourage you, it's one of the great stretches of the Trail, but personally, if possible, I'd pick another time of year.
As would I.

Weary

terrapin05
01-19-2006, 18:28
ive done the trail in maine and n.h. often and never had trouble hitching in fact one of my partners got picked up by julia childs years ago,no,she didnt cook for him

Sorcerer
03-23-2006, 18:03
I know it isn't ideal. I'm pretty much out of choices though and this will just be a real exciting challenge to finish it off.

I got married 3 weeks ago and I'm starting a new job on June 28. So, this is my last long trip (2-3 weeks at a time). I either finish from Hanover to Katahdin by June 27th, or it takes me forever to get done. I'll only have two weeks of vacation in my new job and the odds of my wife letting me take one of those weeks for the next several years to finish up are fairly slim, especially since we're planning to have children by the end of 2007. I'd rather risk rough weather and bad bugs as to take an additional 5 years to finish up.

I'm hoping for some global warming to take effect this May/June! :cool: (In the hope it's warmer than usual type of global warming, not the "Today After Tomorrow" type of global warming where snow piles up to the top of the Empire State Building).

I appreciate the guidance on the mileage. I'm sure it's tougher than the southern part, but I'm pretty confident I can manage. I'm giving myself up to 38 days to hike 441 miles. I think I can make it.

However, I've still found no useful guidance on how to get to/from maybe somewhere around Stratton, ME to public transportation. If you want to be helpful, see what you can do to come up with that information!

Sorcerer:

Please don't take this question the wrong way, but why are you electing to do this section at this time of year and not later? Is this the only time you can get free?

Two reasons I'm asking: There is still an excellent chance you'll encounter pretty severe weather in the high country, and several of the Huts in the Whites (Lakes of the Clouds and Madison) aren't open til 1 June, meaning you'll have no chance of staying there.

Also, you'll be hiking thru Maine at the height of Black Fly season; depending on the year, this can be pretty horrible, and will definitely impact your trip.

woodsy
03-23-2006, 18:47
Sorcerer,
I do some shuttles in and out of this area, drop me an E-mail about your time frame and maybe we can work something out. You will be able to access public transportation (bus) from either Waterville or Augusta. Vermont transit or Greyhound.
Woodsy

Sorcerer
03-27-2006, 18:32
Woodsy,

Thanks. I sent you a private message with my email address. I couldn't find an email address for you. If you don't mind, please email me!

Sorcerer,
I do some shuttles in and out of this area, drop me an E-mail about your time frame and maybe we can work something out. You will be able to access public transportation (bus) from either Waterville or Augusta. Vermont transit or Greyhound.
Woodsy

rambunny
03-28-2006, 15:47
Hey! Aqua and myself will be caretakers at The Cabin in East Andover MAine from may-oct this year and would love to help free shuttle with stay from EastB or SouthArm. Slackpacking,Maildrops great food, and longer shuttles available too from Gorham to Stratton available

rambunny
03-28-2006, 15:48
Also Shaw's is up and running with new owners.

TJ aka Teej
03-28-2006, 15:55
Hey! Aqua and myself will be caretakers at The Cabin in East Andover MAine from may-oct this year
You'll have a blast! Honey & Bear off adventurin'?

schmuttis
05-12-2006, 09:37
A GREAT deal of information about access points to the Maine AT and how to shuttle between these points was recently posted on http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org.