PDA

View Full Version : time to drop some weight

Canadian_Hiker
08-26-2016, 06:53
I have been carrying a 35lb, 70L pack for years and due to getting older (40) and aching shoulders I want to shed some weight. I am looking at the Osprey Exos 38 &48. I will be carrying a Sea to Summit small sleeping pad, a Tarptent Contrail and a 2lb summer sleeping bag. Will these items fit in the 38L pack with room for my MSR Pocket Rocket small Titanium pot, four days worth of food and clothes (one pair of socks, one pair of underwear and tights for around camp and one northface thin compressable coat? I want to go as small as I can!

Cheyou
08-26-2016, 07:15
That's a great idea. a ultra light quilt would b less then a pound

thom

Don H
08-26-2016, 07:28
I use a Granite Gear Crown VC 60 which weighs 2.2 pounds and easily carries my outfit which is very similar to yours.
My Montebello Down Hugger 800 #5 sleeping bag weighs 19 ounces.
Those two changes would drop your weight by well over two pounds.

Canadian_Hiker
08-26-2016, 07:31
Thanks for the info Don! I will look into those ASAP!!!

Puddlefish
08-26-2016, 07:49
I used the Osprey 48, and found it the perfect size. Tent and sit pad strapped to the bottom. It was stuffed full in the colder weather at the start. When I sent home my cold weather gear, I was able to send home the brain as well. Here's my gear list, items with a zero got sent home when it warmed up. (https://lighterpack.com/r/cdawl9)

The pack got uncomfortable over 31 pounds, which happened early in my hike, and then never again. (Like many people I started with far too much food.) I think the 38 may be too small. I saw about an equal number of 48s and 58s on the trail.

ChuckT
08-26-2016, 07:59
Kindle and cord? What's that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
08-26-2016, 08:00
Good for you trying to cut weight! Makes for such a more enjoyable overall backpacking experience.

But: Consider a more supportive, yet probably lighter pack than that Exos. I used an Exos (46) for a couple/few years (and the Atmos 50 before that), then "discovered" ULA packs, bought an Ohm 2.0 and a Circuit together, compared the two, kept the OHM and returned the Circuit. Both much more comfortable than the Exos but of course YMMV on any piece of gear.

colorado_rob
08-26-2016, 08:09
Kindle and cord? What's that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using TapatalkUndoubtedly, a Kindle e-book reader and charger cord. Fantastic device for those of us who like to read on the trail in the evenings. I use a kindle app on my phone, does the same thing w/o the need for an extra device.

Gambit McCrae
08-26-2016, 08:18
It is hard to provide a list of items and determine if it will fit in a specific pack. But I would think that a 2lbs summer back is going to be a bit bulky for such a small pack. I would look into upgrading that to a quilt or UL bag, for both summer and cold weather camping. take all your stuff to the pack store and see if it fits prior to buying. If you are going with a cottage company which is what I suggest, call them and talk they will be happy to help you get the pack that is write for your needs.

garlic08
08-26-2016, 08:23
I agree with trying a larger pack with less suspension--eventually at least. Try the Osprey out and if it's not large enough, look at ULA, Gossamer Gear, Z-packs and other cottage manufacturers. Return policies are pretty generous if you don't take them on the trail. My path to UL finally succeeded with the third pack. You'll be lucky to get it right the first time.

Puddlefish
08-26-2016, 08:26
I posted the link to lighterpack soley to demonstrate how much crap you can fit in an Exos 48, let's not sidetrack the thread by critiquing my gear. I went with the Exos because of the relatively low cost, as well as that sweet sweet back ventilation. I love everything about the pack, including the shoulder strap, hip straps and overall comfort level.

Saw people on the trail with more expensive, more spartan ultra light packs, and they'd attached DIY foam bits to the shoulder straps. There are a lot of good choices, but in the end it's about what works for the individual based on what's going in the pack, your body type and probably a bunch of other factors.

colorado_rob
08-26-2016, 08:37
A word on pack size. If you're anywhere close to being "lightweight", and are talking about late-spring to early fall hiking in most of the US, like the AT (not sure about New Brunswick!), I betcha a 100 loonies that a 50 liter (or 46-48) pack is plenty big; you shouldn't need anything bigger.

If you go with the Exos (a fine pack, but for me, the ULA's are much better), look at what weight savings for the 38 vs. the 48, what, about 5-6 ounces perhaps? Even if all of your stuff fits in a 38, it might be more convenient and ultimately more useable to buy the 48; this gives you some margin and convenience (not being over-stuffed) on the trail.

BTW, my Exos 46 is many years old, I think 5-6, the new models perhaps are better for hip-belt support, which is my #1 complaint with my old Exos. I love Osprey packs, still use a couple others for shorter hiking (a Hornet) or expeditions (an Aether). Plus: it's Colorado company!

SWODaddy
08-26-2016, 08:43
I have been carrying a 35lb, 70L pack for years and due to getting older (40) and aching shoulders I want to shed some weight. I am looking at the Osprey Exos 38 &48. I will be carrying a Sea to Summit small sleeping pad, a Tarptent Contrail and a 2lb summer sleeping bag. Will these items fit in the 38L pack with room for my MSR Pocket Rocket small Titanium pot, four days worth of food and clothes (one pair of socks, one pair of underwear and tights for around camp and one northface thin compressable coat? I want to go as small as I can!

I have the Exos 48. With my 2lb tent and 14oz summer quilt it was pretty damn full with 5.5 days worth of food and minimal clothes on my last trip. Personally, I would get the 48L pack and ditch the brain if you want to shed some weight.

ChuckT
08-26-2016, 09:19
Ah charging cord, should have known.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

DuneElliot
08-26-2016, 10:07
As mentioned but others I think the 38L would be too small for your listed gear. I have a 62L ZPacks Arc Haul (52L not including the mesh pockets outside) and have found it perfectly suited for my gear (similar to yours) and have plenty of space for 5-6 days of food, all without having anything hanging off the outside.

I'd seriously consider the Arc Haul pack...very comfortable with the added lumbar pad (I had to add a little extra padding since I am kinda boney and small but most people don't). I have a ULA Circuit too which I like, but not as much as the Arc Haul...but another good consideration. I find both of these packs more versatile than an Osprey pack so far

poolskaterx
08-26-2016, 13:50
I used 65L Osprey as my "goto" pack for many years because of the comfy belt, shoulder straps, and ventilation; it seems HUGE now that I have lightened my load up.

After way too much research (or maybe just enough) I went with a Zpacks 52L ArcZip;the roll up top is awesome to accommodate different sized loads, just roll it up if you don't need the extra space. I keep my total weight fully loaded at 24-30lbs (with bear canister) and I find I am very comfortable with this pack and still get the advantage of ventilation on my back and the option to unroll the top if I need more space.

Canadian_Hiker
08-26-2016, 16:12
I had a chance to try out a Osprey Exos48 with 25lbs in it and it was so comfy! I am pretty sure I will go with this pack just because it is available at the local outfitters here in town.

I love the idea of a quilt but hate sleeping directly on top of the sleeping pad, find it hot and clamy!

I have been looking at the Montebelle Down Hugger 800 and I think I am in love with it!

poolskaterx
08-29-2016, 12:39
I think there are better options than the Montebelle when it comes to a sleep setup; not very impressed with customer service from them.

Price and warranty on the Osprey are very hard to beat unless you want to get very specialized. Good friend purchased that pack and likes a lot it, he feels it is a little small for some of the 4 season stuff that we do but 3 season is great!

Odd Man Out
08-29-2016, 13:27
I agree with trying a larger pack with less suspension--eventually at least. Try the Osprey out and if it's not large enough, look at ULA, Gossamer Gear, Z-packs and other cottage manufacturers. Return policies are pretty generous if you don't take them on the trail. My path to UL finally succeeded with the third pack. You'll be lucky to get it right the first time.

I like my Elemental Horizons Kalais. It would be in that "other cottage manufacturers" category.

Hikingjim
08-29-2016, 15:19
I had a chance to try out a Osprey Exos48 with 25lbs in it and it was so comfy! I am pretty sure I will go with this pack just because it is available at the local outfitters here in town.

I love the idea of a quilt but hate sleeping directly on top of the sleeping pad, find it hot and clamy!

I have been looking at the Montebelle Down Hugger 800 and I think I am in love with it!

I would go with the 48 instead of 38 so that you can get more use out of it when it's slightly colder (extra 4 oz weight)
As a fellow Canadian, I can appreciate the difficulty of getting gear from the states. Terrible exchange, expensive shipping, expensive to send things back, etc

The exos doesn't fit me well at all, but if it's a good fit for you, that's one of the few light weight packs at local outfitters

when you swap out that sleeping bag, you'll be well on your way to a good summer kit

OwenM
09-04-2016, 04:34
I'll say yes to the 38 fitting your gear. Depends on packing it efficiently and possibly carrying the shelter by the bottom straps, though. I've not long been a fan of stuffing vs. using multiple stuff sacks, but it really does make a noticeable difference when you want to minimize pack size.
Friend of mine whose packing convinced me I could make more use of my Exos 38 is doing the Long Trail starting in a couple of weeks, and using the same pack with 5 days between resupplies.

I have both the Exos 38 and 58. Could have gone with just a 48, but wanted room for a week with a bear canister, which the 58 accomodates, and the most compact pack possible for short trips, which is where the 38 sans lid comes in.
Pack fit is a personal thing-doesn't matter what works for someone else. I place a lot of value on the suspended mesh back panel of the Exos, and fortunately, it also happens to be a perfect fit for me, so that's what I use.

Dogwood
09-04-2016, 16:28
If I had to guess about some things the Osprey Exos 48L should be big enough. 38 L, meh maybe but obviously definitely more questionable especially downsizing from a 70 L. It's almost half the volume, a big jump in downsizing pack size.

Martzy
09-04-2016, 16:49
I'll second what Cheyou said, swap that 2lb. bag for a down quilt and you'll be surprised out how much room you have in the pack. I can only recommend from experience, but the Enlightened Equipment Revelation is one heck of a product. They are so versatile, I can use their 20* option all year! Good luck with furthering your weight reduction!

MikekiM
09-06-2016, 22:42
I was using an Osprey 36 for a few yours and decided to reduce weight.. I was at the limit of the packs capacity and was insanely frustrated by the unusable side and hip belt pockets. Switched to an Ohm this season and love it, on a three to five day'r I have quite a bit of room left empty. And oh! Those side and hip pockets are cavernous !

I was concerned I would miss the back mesh on the Osprey, but I don't. Also worried that the unstructured design of the UL pack would be uncomfortable but not only do I love it, I am now looking for a smaller UL day pack... A MLD Burn would be awesome.

Posted from somewhere east of Montauk

Dogwood
09-06-2016, 23:58

I'm assuming that quoted 35 lbs includes the pack's wt. Does your 35 lbs include consumable wt? water, food, fuel, etc? If yes, quantities? In that 70 L backpack? I ask because IF 35 lbs includes consumables it's my guess it is the consumable, especially the food bulk, that is taking up an inordinate amount of that 70 L pack's volume not so much when compared to the total volume of your gear although a 2 lb summer bag you certainly can drop 10+ oz there and likely some bulk. Next, look at your clothing bulk you'll have to haul regularly not what you'll be likely routinely wearing.

Dogwood
09-07-2016, 00:02
So, depending you may be best off with reducing consumable bulk. Just by doing that one could likely drop down in volume required in a backpack. And, if you're like me I generally much prefer as I reduce in volume in a backpack I also expect to be decreasing wt of the backpack.