PDA

View Full Version : Have you read Under the Stars: How America Fell in Love with Camping?

1azarus
08-26-2016, 16:13
Dan White's latest book is actually a great read (you might have already read "The Cactus Eaters: How I lost my Mind -- And Almost found Myself on the Pacific Crest Trail." I'm frankly not sure if I have!) I'm most of the way through it now, and thought I'd encourage you all to pick it up. It is a Bill Bryson-like scholarly ramble about being outdoors. The "book jacket" promotion follows:

From the Sierras to the Adirondacks and the Everglades, Dan White travels the nation to experience firsthand―and sometimes face first―how the American wilderness transformed from the devil’s playground into a source of adventure, relaxation, and renewal.

Whether he’s camping nude in cougar country, being attacked by wildlife while “glamping,” or crashing a girls-only adventure for urban teens, Dan White seeks to animate the evolution of outdoor recreation. In the process, he demonstrates how the likes of Emerson, Thoreau, Roosevelt, and Muir―along with visionaries such as Adirondack Murray, Horace Kephart, and Juliette Gordon Low―helped blaze a trail from Transcendentalism to Leave No Trace.
Wide-ranging in research, enthusiasm, and geography, Under the Stars reveals a vast population of nature seekers, a country still in love with its wild places.

...and, dear whiteblazers, what do you think of this book if you have already read it?

cmoulder
08-27-2016, 09:45
Sounds great. I just checked on Amazon and the paperback is $17, and I don't do Kindle but even that is $15.

I'll see if my local library has it.

1azarus
08-27-2016, 15:07
That's where I got my borrowed copy. Inter library loan is a great thing.

tflaris
09-17-2016, 07:38
Reading it now. Enjoyable book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1azarus
09-17-2016, 20:42
just finished it and loved it...

-Rush-
09-18-2016, 06:34
Sounds great. I just checked on Amazon and the paperback is $17, and I don't do Kindle but even that is $15.

I'll see if my local library has it.

If you're going to go to the library to avoid paying for it, why not just download it?