PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Harpers Ferry Visitor Center question

TalulaPele
08-26-2016, 20:52
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I'm looking to park at Harper's Ferry Visitor Center on 9/3 and get a shuttle up to Pen-Mar to make the hike back down to Harper's Ferry. (Shuttle being set up as I type, just trying to get logistics down.) I know the visitor center doesn't open until 9, but I'm wondering what time is the earliest I can get in to park at the visitors center? Ideally, I'd like to be at Pen-Mar by 6-6:30am, so I need to be parked around 5-5:30am. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

TalulaPele

Big Hill
09-02-2016, 13:58
The park opens up at 9am. I was there yesterday with my daughter and noticed the signs saying the shuttle was currently going 9-6:30 but would start being 9-5 Oct. 1st. I'm pretty sure the gate follows the same schedule.

https://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/hours.htm

mikec
09-02-2016, 19:39
I section hiked from Harpers Ferry to PenMar this past May. I got to Harpers Ferry around 8:00AM and had to wait until the Visitors Center opened at 9:00AM to fill out the form to leave my car. Frustrating, yes. Maybe you could get there the afternoon before, stay in town somewhere and meet your shuttle early the next morning?

marilandica
10-05-2016, 09:42
You can fax or email the completed form back to the Park Service and get in/leave the parking lot after hours. The gate is shut but not locked. This happens all the time. It's exactly what the Park Service will tell you to do.