PDA

View Full Version : Esbit fuel

jjozgrunt
08-27-2016, 07:17
G'day guys

How readily available are Esbit type fuel tabs on the AT? Just looking at my cooking options.

jjozgrunt
08-27-2016, 07:18
Also can they be mailed in the States?

Starchild
08-27-2016, 11:10
They can be mailed - no restrictions.

Using 2013 stats, It is fairly available, however not dependently so which is more of a problem, causing one to carry more than needed, just in case, or mail it to oneself. It was mentioned that it's use was becoming more common so may be good to go now IDK. A alternate solution is to supplement with a very light weight alchy stove if esbit can't be found (or know how to make one out of a soda/beer can or 2). A tea light candle holder is so light that 4 of them still does not register on my scale that measures in grams, and one can cook with it, however it is fragile.

daddytwosticks
08-27-2016, 13:11
I've seen them for sale in every outfitters from the start of thetrail up through Hot Springs. Esbit seems to be plentiful down here in the south. :)

Slo-go'en
08-27-2016, 16:16
I've seen them for sale in every outfitters from the start of thetrail up through Hot Springs. Esbit seems to be plentiful down here in the south. :)

I don't use them so I don't go out of my way looking for them, but I don't think they are very common. While canisters can be found almost anywhere now and finding alcohol is really easy, esbits are more of a specialty item so you'll only find them at outfitters and some hardware stores (I know Gorham Hardware in Gorham, NH has them, as I bought a box just to have).

Their also kind of expensive, a box of 12 cost me $6.95 so that's 58 cents a meal. Lets say you use one a day for 120 days, that's 10 boxes which will cost you $69.50. Going with an alcohol stove would be a lot less money in the long run.

bigcranky
08-27-2016, 16:24
They can be mailed - no restrictions.

Really? When I have ordered them online, they come USPS with the ORM-D label, ground transport only. The postal regs seems pretty clear about this. (http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_021.htm)

capehiker
08-27-2016, 17:53
I used Esbit for the first 3 weeks of my thru hike. I really liked it and I had extra tabs sent via Amazon along the trail. I stopped using Esbit because I wanted the speed and simplicity of a canister stove.

Secondmouse
08-27-2016, 18:42
Really? When I have ordered them online, they come USPS with the ORM-D label, ground transport only. The postal regs seems pretty clear about this. (http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_021.htm)

I get them from amazon, no special handling. I have Prime but I don't think that means anything...

Deacon
08-27-2016, 19:41
I get them from amazon, no special handling. I have Prime but I don't think that means anything...

Same here. I've ordered tabs from both Amazon and one other supplier and neither had the ORD tag. That's not to say they shouldn't.

shelterbuilder
08-27-2016, 19:49
I think that I've seen them for sale at Wal-Mart (but in a package with an esbit stove, which seems like paying for something that you don't need if you already have one). Military surplus stores also sell them (I live "near" the trail in Reading, Pa., and Priority One Surplus - in the same shopping center complex as Hamburg's Wal-Mart and Cabela's - has a big container of them on the shelf).

Skyline
08-27-2016, 19:51
Many, but not all, outfitters along the AT carry Esbit tabs and often also the Esbit stoves. Problem is, very few non-outfitters do, and also not every AT town has an outfitter.

But if you plan ahead a week or more, you can call Campmor (1-800-CAMPMOR) and have them sent to you at a PO just like a friend would send you a maildrop. Amazon also can ship to you, but you have to order online and I'm not sure how they handle shipping to an address other than where your credit card bill is sent. At least if you CALL Campmor, you can more easily explain it (a supervisor typically needs to approve it).

You may already know this, but there is a more readily available solid fuel made by Coughlin's. They are round. In my experience, you need three round Coughlin discs to do the job of one Esbit tab. But if all you can find is Coughlin's they would work temporarily for you on the Trail using an Esbit foldable stove. More often sold in stores or departments catering to hunters. Go figure...

jjozgrunt
08-27-2016, 21:05
Thanks guys, just looking at all the alternatives.

daddytwosticks
08-28-2016, 13:22
Just to be clear, I've seen them at the outfitters at Neel Gap, Three Eagle outfitters in Franklin, the outfitters at the NOC, and the outfitters in Hot Springs. :)

George
08-29-2016, 19:46
if you want to order a good amount and send them to your self coglan fuel tabs are about a third of the price and stink less than esbit

Starchild
08-29-2016, 19:55
I don't believe they meet that definition of flammable solids, more in the category of paper. Yes they burn if ignited, but flammable requires a bit more. I suspect the label was a unneeded precaution.

jeffmeh
08-30-2016, 11:14
Many, but not all, outfitters along the AT carry Esbit tabs and often also the Esbit stoves. Problem is, very few non-outfitters do, and also not every AT town has an outfitter.

But if you plan ahead a week or more, you can call Campmor (1-800-CAMPMOR) and have them sent to you at a PO just like a friend would send you a maildrop. Amazon also can ship to you, but you have to order online and I'm not sure how they handle shipping to an address other than where your credit card bill is sent. At least if you CALL Campmor, you can more easily explain it (a supervisor typically needs to approve it).

You may already know this, but there is a more readily available solid fuel made by Coughlin's. They are round. In my experience, you need three round Coughlin discs to do the job of one Esbit tab. But if all you can find is Coughlin's they would work temporarily for you on the Trail using an Esbit foldable stove. More often sold in stores or departments catering to hunters. Go figure...

FYI, Amazon definitely let's you ship to a different address than the billing address on the credit card. It will make you type the credit card info in again when you set up the new address, as some means of verification. I have sent many packages this way, not only to my son on his thru, but as gifts to friends and family.

QiWiz
08-30-2016, 14:13
You can ship Esbit to yourself in resupply packages. This is what I have done on expended trips with resupply. You will find it for sale here and there at outfitters but it's hard to count on it being there when you might need it. Some people (hint, hint) use a burner that can handle both alcohol and Esbit.

jjozgrunt
09-01-2016, 08:50
I've never seen an alcohol stove used in Australia, primarily gas and hexamine especially for us old military types.

QiWiz
09-02-2016, 10:53
I don't believe they meet that definition of flammable solids, more in the category of paper. Yes they burn if ignited, but flammable requires a bit more. I suspect the label was a unneeded precaution.

Esbit is actually harder to light than a candle, and can be blown out like a candle. Candles can be mailed. I've mailed Esbit to myself in resupply with no issues. What you will hear from the PO and from TSA largely depends on how the question is asked and answered: You: Can I mail Esbit (Can I carry Esbit in my luggage)? PO/TSA: What is Esbit? (here's where you will get a different answer depending on how you describe what Esbit is). You: Esbit is . . . .