PDA

View Full Version : Garmin E-Trex Legend

JTDawg
01-09-2006, 18:34
Someone gave me one of these as a gift. Since I have it, I might as welll put the AT maps on it. What is the best place to get the maps to download on a GPS?

Moxie00
01-09-2006, 18:54
I got topo maps from EMS but any Garmen dealer has them. There is no better words to describe their detail of the AT than"they suck". I went on the web and called the Garmen hot line and they told me the Garmen maps were the only maps you can download to the legend model. The maps are excellent in many ways, you will never lose your way but you will not find many shelters, road crossings, and at best the actual trail is vague in places. Otherwise I actually love my legend and have downloaded all of Maine's topo maps and have The US, Canada, and all South and Central America on CD if I need it. The capacity is such that I can't get all Maine on it at once but do have the areas I actually hike. I hope someone proves me wrong and has a way to download the official AT trail map to my Legend.

Alligator
01-09-2006, 19:00
How about these
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851255/k.4226/Appalachian_Trail_GIS_and_GPS_Data.htm

Smooth
01-09-2006, 19:47
Thanks for the link!! I think that I can load the data up to the map program in the computer, then download it to the unit. I use my E-Trex Legend for telling me where I am at work, measuring my local trails and, mostly, for off trail travel such as from where I am to where I want to be when there is no trail. I would NOT take my Legend on a Thru-hike as the dent in the ground is too plane to see and someone put white blazes on the trees every few hundred yards as it is. I bounce boxed the maps as needed only because I can read a map well and I liked to camp off trail and the provided maps worked for that. If you do not camp off trail then the guidebook is enough as it tells you how far to water, shelter, camp site and food.

Moxie00
01-09-2006, 22:24
How about these
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851255/k.4226/Appalachian_Trail_GIS_and_GPS_Data.htm
Thanks, that is a great site and I will download alot of that info onto my PC. Unfortunately, I don't think my Garmen Legend has the capacity to handle many files that large. It is a great little unit with limited capacity. Both my brothers own more expensive Garmens that easily will take the whole package.

johnsupertramp
01-10-2006, 16:42
Honestly, think of all the gear you could buy with $180. Next think about all those 40,000 little white blazes that they have out on the trail. I returned mine and bought more cooler stuff. Just my opinion. Thats just cause I'm a poor college kid. if you want software try easy gps I'm sure that can google.

The Old Fhart
01-11-2006, 10:17
if you want software try easy gps I'm sure that can google.Easy GPS is a utility that allows you to transfer waypoints and other infomation back and forth between your GPS and computer and is not a mapping software program. Generally the only mapping software that works with your GPS receiver is made by the manufacturer of that GPS. I use a Magellan Meridian Platinum that uses a SD memory card and have loaded topo map info that covers the entire area the trail goes through, but it basically doesn't show the trail.

As much as I love GPS I really don't think it is of much practical use on the A.T. unless you plan to try some geocaches along the way which I don't consider practical either. I'm one of the top geocachers in New Hampshire so I have had some experience with GPS.

anneandbenhike
01-11-2006, 12:50
We do not have AT maps on our GPS but we did use our GPS on a 218 mile section to find geocaches. I downloaded the waypoints for caches I wanted to find into the GPS before we left and my husband used it to download the waypoints for benchmarks to find. It added another dimension to our hike and it was fun to find the caches near the AT. We would not take the GPS on a thru if we ever did one.