PDA

View Full Version : SOBO 2006 THRUHiKER REGISTRY

DLANOIE
01-09-2006, 20:42
I havent seen a link to anyone starting in Maine...
Just wondering if anyone else is and if anyone else will be driving up to Millenocket to reserve a campsite. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

hammock engineer
01-10-2006, 00:18
I am headed solo SOBO around mid to late June. Haven't made any plans past that.

I have heard that you will want to make reservations early. I heard they fill up on the weekends. One reason why I am going to start on a week day.

rcli4
01-10-2006, 00:27
I am going southbound about the 10 th of July

RITBlake
01-10-2006, 01:03
say hi to the black flies for me!

dharmabum86
01-10-2006, 11:39
I'll be SOBO starting the first week in June. I'm flying up and then I have no idea what I'll do from there to get to Baxter:confused:

Nean
01-10-2006, 12:04
I'm not sure how close you can get flying. Way back when the bus would get you no closer than East Millenocket but it was an easy hitch all the way to Katahdin Stream CG. I camped outside the front gate the first night. There is probably a shuttle in the area I'd think. I may be sobo this year too!!!

Marta
01-10-2006, 13:54
I'm planning to start July 3d or 4th. My huband is going to drive me to Maine and hike the first day with me. If that plan falls through, I've got a M-I-L and an uncle up there who have offered to do shuttle duty.

stickat04
01-10-2006, 14:28
I am going to Maine in late June. Not sure what I am doing, thru hiking or just hiking the Northeast. I am looking for a way to get there, plane ticket is about 300 to portland from MI. Then there are bus fares. So anyone looking to share expenses on renting a car to get to bangor drop me a line. I checked it's about 250 to rent a car one way from MI.

Alligator
01-10-2006, 15:24
I am going to Maine in late June. Not sure what I am doing, thru hiking or just hiking the Northeast. I am looking for a way to get there, plane ticket is about 300 to portland from MI. Then there are bus fares. So anyone looking to share expenses on renting a car to get to bangor drop me a line. I checked it's about 250 to rent a car one way from MI.
Sometimes the difference in airfare between Portland, ME and Bangor is negligible. Heck, if you are willing to drive, bus fare has got to be cheaper than $250 if you buy in advance.

dharmabum86
01-10-2006, 17:32
The bus never occured to me. I guess with all my other planning. It never dawned on me that that was the easier route to take. DUH :confused: thanks for the advice.
OJ

Rain Man
01-11-2006, 16:01
I'm planning to start July 3d or 4th. ....

Marta, you gonna have a Trail Journal? If so, I'd like to follow your hike, as I'm sure others would too.

Rain:sunMan

Marta
01-11-2006, 16:20
I've got a TJ up and partly going. Needs more work... There are a bunch more sections I've got hand-written notes on that I need to type into Prep entries, since that's what I'm now considering them to be. I do like to write...so there's lots of words. Search under "Marta" and there it will be.

I just hope there's a nice, long hike to report on. There's always the fear of going down in flames after a couple of weeks. In a very public way on TJ.

UCONNMike
01-11-2006, 22:41
say hi to the black flies for me!
HAHAHA!

...owned!

TJ aka Teej
01-12-2006, 11:11
The Bangor bus gets you to Medway (30 miles from the gate) about 7:30 PM. There are a few motels within walking distance of the store where the bus stop is. If you want, you can call the only Taxi for a ride to Baxter that night, but the gate will be closed and you'll have to stealth outside the Park and hitch into Katahdin Stream the next morning. I advise staying at a motel in Millinocket the night you get in, arranging with the Taxi guy for an early pickup in the morning. You really should try to pair up, and share the costs that will include a lean-to (It will rain if you tent, don't start with soaked gear) at Katahdin Stream. Try to reserve (sobos can't stay at the Birches AT site) two night's stay, before and after your climb. I do 2AM drives from southern Maine up to Baxter several times each year between May and July, keep me in mind (PM for contact info) and perhaps you can ride up with me.
Q- Should WB have a Southbounder forum?

DLANOIE
01-15-2006, 14:03
anyone gone up to register for camping reservations in Millanocket?

I understand that if your not like 60th in line you wont get to reserve a site except via mail request.:confused:

longben
01-22-2006, 14:31
Me and a buddy will be starting from Katahdin Stream CG hopefully on the first of june, maybe the second if the parks opening complicates matters.

We will be driving up there and staying as close to the park as possible on the 31st of May.

As far as campsite reservations go, I will be calling up there soon, and then taking the necessary steps to get in. One way or another we will be there.

Hope to see some of you up there, as of now it appears we will be the first group heading south.

LONGBEN

attroll
01-22-2006, 14:49
Me and a buddy will be starting from Katahdin Stream CG hopefully on the first of june, maybe the second if the parks opening complicates matters.

We will be driving up there and staying as close to the park as possible on the 31st of May.

As far as campsite reservations go, I will be calling up there soon, and then taking the necessary steps to get in. One way or another we will be there.

Hope to see some of you up there, as of now it appears we will be the first group heading south.

LONGBEN

Have you had your name added to the Class of 2006 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2006th) here on the site. If not you can do it by responding with the proper info in this thread NOBO 2006 Thru Hiker Roster (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10259) and dje97001 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=2805) will add your name to the list as long as you do it before he starts his thru hike.

Wolfclan
01-23-2006, 20:01
Right now I'm planning on starting around June 21st. I don't want to set a date with the park because I'm a teacher and we may have a few more snow days. I was thinking about the 4th of July but I was told any weekend may be tough to get in. Then I thought the week of the 4th may be tough too. My wife is driving me up and wants us to stay at a hotel. We have to be at the gate at around 5 am I hear, maybe earlier. I'm thinking of renting a camping space so I know that I can get past the gate on my starting date. Day one will be up and down and that is it. I may actually need to make reservations for two nights. What do you think and would anyone want to share the site. They charge for a minimum of two people anyway and I don't plan on using it. I might ad that I am only section hiking. If I do around 700 each summer I will finish again, 30 years after my first thru-hike.

Marta
01-24-2006, 14:09
I just made motel reservations in Millinocket for three days in early July. My plan thus far is to drive to Maine with my husband (and possibly another family member or two), stay in Millinocket, hike up and down Katahdin as a day hike with him, spend another day in Millinocket with the family, then set off down The Trail the following day. Am I overlooking some regulation or requirement about entering the park as dayhikers?

TJ aka Teej
01-24-2006, 16:20
I always recommend getting a lean-to inside the park the night before and after your climb. Being able to hit the Trail up Katahdin before first light, and before the gate lets in the masses, is a treat you will never regret. Katahdin is a butt-kicking 10.2 round trip. Staying the night after you've climbed will be a reward, and you won't have that 20+ mile drive back in (paying a $12 fee each day) from town the day after to pick up the Trail south out of the campground. Some MEGAs having been doing this, meeting up with a ride at Abol Bridge after day two, and heading into Millinocket for a motel night before heading into the 100 mile. More info: www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com)

Marta
01-24-2006, 19:09
Thanks for the information, and for the link!

kate
02-13-2006, 09:33
Hi. I am planning to head south bound this year. I am hoping to start earlier versus later but that remains to be seen. I have no definite plans yet.

Kate

Crafty
02-28-2006, 23:07
Add my name to the list! If all goes well I plan to hit the trail in early July, as well. I still have a house to sell, job to quit, etc., and then I'm looking forward to several months with nothing more to do than just walk!

TJ aka Teej
03-01-2006, 00:09
Hi Kate and welcome Mike! Be sure to check out the Southbounders Forum!

gilmour14
03-02-2006, 09:56
Add us to the list!
2 in the party, SOBO June 10th, no trailnames yet.
My girlfriend and I will be climbing Katahdin on June 10, and heading south on the 11th. We just got the reservation confirmation back for Katahdin Stream Campground, so it's set! 14 weeks and man we can't wait. Hope to see some of you out there!

Old Spice
03-02-2006, 12:30
I am starting the approach trail on April 5th. My trail name will be my whiteblaze name, unless someone thinks of something a little more flattering for me to go buy. Cheers.

Old Spice
03-02-2006, 12:31
Woops!... Didn't realize this was a sobo thread... LOL.

hammock engineer
03-03-2006, 00:10
I'm shotting for June 12th as my start date. See you out there.

Cumbrian
03-06-2006, 20:48
Hi all

We are British southbounders starting on 25th so maybe see you on the trail?

Ian (trail name 'Cumbrian') [email protected] ([email protected])

Alan (trail name 'Anglia') [email protected] ([email protected])

Kind regards

Cumbrian

Wolfclan
03-07-2006, 08:37
I just got reservations inside the park for a lean-to at Katahdin Stream Campground for June 22 and 23. My wife and I will actually stay in a hotel in Millinocket on the 21st and 22nd. I don't know which one yet, she is going to pick it. The idea is now I know I can get in to hike up on the 21st and get in to start south on the 23rd. See ya out there! The snow is melting heere in New Hampshire.

Marta
03-07-2006, 13:37
I just got my reservations for July 2nd and 3d at Katahdin Stream Campground. I feel as if I have won the Lottery! I was worried about getting space during the 4th of July week.

I probably won't see you out there, all you June starters, unless you hike exceptionally slowly...

Marta

lilpuppie
03-16-2006, 01:49
My best friend and I are planning to fly up July 1st and start soon thereafter, depending on ground transportation and camping options. I just read something rather unsettling in "The Appalachian Trail Hiker" that says less than 400 thru hiker's have completed a SOBO, or at least sent in their report to the ATC. I realize the majority of people start at springer, but I fear that this 400 person statistic means that starting on the hardest part of the trail means more people get frustrated and quit earlier than those who start at springer. I have the determination to finish, but I'm unsure of my friend, but he graduates in May, and in order to do it this year (and avoid the majority of blackfly season) we'll have to start around July 1st. Any thoughts?

ferryman
03-16-2006, 08:08
Having recently spent four days traversing in and around Baxter State Park, there is very little snow on the ground for this time of year. If you ever thought of starting around May 15 when the park opens, you may consider this year to be the year. In past years, many hikers arrived about that time only to be delayed climbing Katahdin or starting their hike at Abol Bridge due to heavy snow conditions. Check with Baxter State Park headquarters at 207-723-5140 for conditions on Katahdin. With the groundwater table full, you can still count of wet boggy conditions and of course those lovable little black flies and mosquitoes on your way southbound thru Maine. We open the Kennebec River Ferry Service on May 19 (officially) or sooner! Safe Trails, Steve the ferryman

chip B
03-23-2006, 12:22
I hiked katahdin in 2003 . started on june 13 and found the park almost empty. i stayed at a bed and breakfast who then shuttled me right to the rangers station to start. you will want to leave you pack there and use one of the small ones he has for water etc.. it took me about 10 hours for the round trip. there are some steep areas and some large huge rocks to climb over..
i had to stop my south bound at whites landing.... i will be starting from there on may 14th this year
some of you will most likely pass me since i plan on really taking my time and enjoying nature at its best...

hope to see you out there:sun

chipmonk

driftwood
03-26-2006, 21:14
Hey all... I'm hoping to start a solo southbound journey mid-June, maybe 6/10 or the following weekend. Looks like I might see some of you there?

Please add me to the 2006 SOBO Roster too! :o

DawnTreader
04-06-2006, 13:36
I Just got my BSP reservations in the mail! June 28th at roaring brook and June 29th at Katahdin stream. If weather permits, I will take the Helon Taylor Trail up the Knifes edge to Baxter Peak. If weather tells me otherwise, I'll sumit the next day from Katahdin Stream and figure out where I will sleep :) I also, feel like I won the lottery!

tsali
04-06-2006, 14:03
Hey all, floatero2 and I will be summitting june 20th he is hiking w/ that name and I am still w/out a name. Still trying to workout travel arangements to get there but we will be there. see you all out there.

mdionne
04-06-2006, 14:20
it's a short walk to the trailhead and it's supposedly reserved for thru hikers!

good luck folks!!!

boarstone
04-06-2006, 15:54
I'll be SOBO starting the first week in June. I'm flying up and then I have no idea what I'll do from there to get to Baxter:confused:
If you fly into Bangor, maybe I can pick you up andgive you a lift to BSP. E-mail me with your details. [email protected], when you know for sure your flight in.

TJ aka Teej
04-06-2006, 17:12
it's a short walk to the trailhead and it's supposedly reserved for thru hikers!
The Birches is for Northbounders only! Sobos, IATers, etc. are not allowed, and must camp elsewhere.

TJ aka Teej
04-06-2006, 17:18
June 28th at roaring brook and June 29th at Katahdin stream. If weather permits, I will take the Helon Taylor Trail up the Knifes edge to Baxter Peak. If weather tells me otherwise, I'll sumit the next day from Katahdin Stream and figure out where I will sleep

An Up&Over start! What an awesome way to begin your MEGA hike, DawnTreader! It's a long day's hike with a full pack, hope you have a Class 1 day!:D

Floatero2
04-11-2006, 18:37
We be going on the 20th everything is confirmed and ready to go woooooohoooo!!!!! I look forward to meting everyone.

To Be Determined
04-13-2006, 09:40
I'm heading up some time around the first week in June. :-). I don't quite know about my trail name yet. It is ... to be determined. But I look forward to meeting up with some of ya'll, as you pass me by.

tyro
04-14-2006, 15:01
I Just got my BSP reservations in the mail! June 28th at roaring brook and June 29th at Katahdin stream. If weather permits, I will take the Helon Taylor Trail up the Knifes edge to Baxter Peak. If weather tells me otherwise, I'll sumit the next day from Katahdin Stream and figure out where I will sleep :) I also, feel like I won the lottery!

How long is the hike from Roaring Brook to Katadhin Stream via Baxter Peak?

TJ aka Teej
04-14-2006, 17:27
How long is the hike from Roaring Brook to Katadhin Stream via Baxter Peak?
Roaring Brook to Baxter Peak via the Knife Edge is 4.25 miles. There are other, less exposed routes via Chimney Pond. Roaring Brook to Baxter Peak via the Saddle Trail is about 5.5 miles. Baxter Peak to Katahdin Stream Campground is 5.2 miles. What makes this a hard trip for southbounders is carrying a full-for-125-miles backpack up and over. Most hikers doing this route will carry just a daypack and it will still take them 8+ hours from Roaring Brook to Katahdin Stream.

tyro
04-14-2006, 20:48
Thanks for the info, TJ.

Cumbrian
04-15-2006, 03:46

We fly in to Bangor from the UK on June 22nd. Our plane arrives at 23.30 so for us, public transport to is not practical because the only bus out of Bangor leaves at 18.15 (meaning we would have to hang around Bangor all day). That bus then arrives in Millinocket at 20.45. This would mean another night of hotel costs and then we would have to hitch a ride or pay for a taxi to take us the next 26 miles to the campground the next day.

To avoid this, we have arranged for a local person to shuttle us direct from our hotel in Bangor at midday on 23rd direct to the Katahdin Stream Campground – arriving mid afternoon. He is charging $150 (split between us at $75 each). We plan to hike katadin on 24th. Looking forward to seeing you all on the trail!!

Ridge Rat
04-20-2006, 13:59
Me and friend are starting Sobo on or around the 1st of july. Hope to see you all on the trail. I am doing an up and over and hope to be out of the park in 1 day. Figure if I can burn through it I will be able to maybe zero day when I get out of the 100 mile woods

djp183
04-28-2006, 15:46
Add me to the list! Going Greyhound from Penna. to Bangor then to Medway, then somehow to the park. Hoping for June 15/16 reservations at Katahdin Stream C.G. Driftwood, I noticed you might be thinking the 2nd week in June - if you want to split motel/cab costs from Medway shoot me an e-mail!

TJ aka Teej
04-28-2006, 19:45
if you want to split motel/cab costs from Medway shoot me an e-mail!
Don't forget that those KSC reservations can be split too, they charge a two person minimum even if only one person uses the campsite!

DLANOIE
04-30-2006, 17:17
Just an update here.

I went up to millinocket on Jan. 17th of this year and waited in line with about 60 other people to make my resevations at KSC. I was tenth in line and was able to get the campsite and dates I wanted without a problem. Doing that part of the planning, it really set in then that it was all real. I cannot wait to start June 1, 2006. Hopefully the Hunt Trail will be open!

To Be Determined
05-02-2006, 00:01
I'm kind of hoping for some clarification as to the beginning of my hike. Do I make reservations in Baxter for the day I'm going to hike Katahdin or ...? Basically, do I sleep at Baxter, hike Katahdin, then hike out of Baxter on the same day, or do I get to Baxter early in the morning, hike Katahdin, rest up and sleep at my reserved spot, and then get out?

Shutterbug
05-02-2006, 01:40
I'm kind of hoping for some clarification as to the beginning of my hike. Do I make reservations in Baxter for the day I'm going to hike Katahdin or ...? Basically, do I sleep at Baxter, hike Katahdin, then hike out of Baxter on the same day, or do I get to Baxter early in the morning, hike Katahdin, rest up and sleep at my reserved spot, and then get out?

You will want to camp at Katahdin Streams campground on the night before your climb. You can start before 7 a.m., but if there is any question about the weather, you will need to wait until 7 a.m. for the Rangers to determine the classification. You won't want to carry your trail pack up Katahdin, so you will probably want to leave it at the Ranger Station. They will lend you a day pack.

Depending on your conditioning, your climb will take 4 to 6 hours. It took me almost as long to get back down as it did to climb. If the weather is good, you will probably want to cross the knife's edge before you start back down.

When you get back down, you will be very happy to camp again in Katahdin Streams campground. You will spend most of the following day making it to the southern boundary of Baxter State Park. The third night you can camp at Abol Bridge and enter the 100 Mile Wilderness on the morning after the third night.

You should have an alternate plan because getting a reservation isn't a sure thing.

TJ aka Teej
05-02-2006, 07:55
I always recommend that MEGAs stay the night before after their climb. If the trails are open the day before your climb, it's OK to start up before 7AM when the Ranger posts the weather/class day at the trail head. Chat up the Ranger when you meet him, he'll know the Trail conditions inside the Park, what other sobos are staying at the campground or have started out, etc. Be sure to read and sign the register on the porch and buy some firewood. That fire might be the last time you'll be warm until Monson. Start up the Hunt Trail as early as you can to beat the drive-in crowd, you won't regret it!

Myshkin
05-08-2006, 01:47
My wife and I are flying into Portland on July 15 and are planning to take a bus up. Is that the norm? Is there a better way from Portland? And, how exactly do you begin a SOBO? What's the most important info for starting a thru-hike in Maine?

chip B
05-08-2006, 13:26
will be leaving for millinocket on saturday the 13th... will stay there the night take a cab to abol bridge to start again south... did katahdin two years ago june wanted to start at whites landing where i left the trail but just too much hassel getting there whats another 30 miles on the trail anyway hope to see some of you heading north

baerbelleksa
05-11-2006, 22:41
i'm flying up to bangor the 31st of may, then shuttling over somehow or another to start southbound. any advice is more than welcome. i'm a novice.

TJ aka Teej
05-11-2006, 23:18
Myskin, Baer, and Chip - Have you checked out the Southbounder forum regarding your questions?

Just a Hiker
05-11-2006, 23:58
i'm flying up to bangor the 31st of may, then shuttling over somehow or another to start southbound. any advice is more than welcome. i'm a novice.

It all depends when you get into Bangor. If you get in by 3 or 4 O'clock, you can catch a taxi to the Greyhound terminal in Bangor and have time to catch the bus to Medway, Maine. The bus arrives in Medway at 7:40pm, so you'll never make it into Baxter by closing time; so I would catch the Minuteman taxi to Millinocket and stay the night. The next day you can take minuteman taxi into Baxter State Park from Millinocket. The minuteman drivers are really good and will get you right where you need to be. Good luck and have a great hike.

Just a Hiker

TJ aka Teej
05-12-2006, 07:52
Also: There are motels within walking distance of the store the bus drops you at. Minuteman will drop you off outside the Park gate at a spot where you can stealth camp before you enter the Park and hitch to Katahdin Stream. Try to partner up to split taxi and lean-to fees in Baxter. You're probably going to want to hit Millinocket to visit the supermarket and Post Office. You can do this by hitching back to town from Abol Bridge before you head into the 100 Mile.

spittinpigeon
05-16-2006, 13:58
It's still a maybe, but I'm about 80% sure about a thru this year. Just waiting for some finance issues to work out. But since I only decided a week ago, and have no reservations in Maine. I'm thinking about a flip flop, Ma/Me-Ma/Ga. Or is there I chance I could find a spot, possibly with a single who paid for two?

Nean
05-17-2006, 13:53
I think finding a spot wouldn't be a problem. A flip flop is going to cost you more money and time as well. Good luck!

To Be Determined
05-19-2006, 09:37
Just got reservations for Katahdin Stream on the 31st and 1st. I'm going to be flying into New York, then taking a Greyhound bus from there to Bangor. Any advice on how to get from Bangor to Baxter?

Wolfclan
05-29-2006, 19:44
We are all getting close now! The flooding in New Hampshire a couple weeks ago added two days to our school year. I have reservations at a hotel in Milinocket and also in BSP. The hotel reservations are the night of the last day of school. I am going to school with my backpack ready to go. Once school is out I am heading north (June 21st). I will go up and down Katahdin on the 22, spend a second night in the hotel and then head south on the 23rd. I have reservations in the park so that I am guarenteed to get in both days but I will not be using the shelter. Get in touch with me if any one wants in.

bignasty
06-05-2006, 00:19
I'm staying in katahdin streams on the 21st and 22nd, hope to see all you SOBOers!!

ferryman
06-07-2006, 20:54
Yesterday, Gary from Telluride, Colorado reached the Kennebec River having started on May 21 at Katahdin. Yes, it may have taken him 17 days to hike from Baxter State Park to the Kennebec River, but Gary (no trail name yet) was impressed with the conditions of the trail and the maintainers (volunteers) who have worked incredibly hard to get the Appalachian Trail in Maine in good hiking shape. Lots of Wildflowers, bird songs and yes, the Maine State Bird (Black Fly) make the Maine trail that more memorable. Coming into the Summer Solstice, daylight begins at 4:30 am and lasts until 8:30pm, making for a long hiking day. Aside from the rain days, most hikers consider the AT in Maine a rewarding experience. No rain, No pain, No Maine! Steve the ferryman

Lone Wolf
06-07-2006, 20:57
How do you know he was the 1st? Some don't sign registers or wait on a canoe ride, or announce they are "thru-hiking".:)

ferryman
06-08-2006, 19:57
The State of Maine might seem big to most having over 22 million acres of mostly wooded areas and water. Not to mention 3,500 miles of oceanfront and hundreds of islands, but in realty, Maine is a real small place to the local inhabitants. That remains true is every trail town along the 280 miles from Katahdin to the New Hampshire border, including Millinocket, 100 mile, Monson, Caratunk, Stratton, Rangeley, Andover and the northside of Gorham. Unless a hiker could get through all these little towns without being seen or hiked past every maintainer, section hiker, caretaker and other thru-hikers, unnoticed, then I could be mistaken. In the end, does it really matter? Wait, I just heard out of Stratton that Jason "Pokey" Hibbitts of Marion, Virginia who has worked at Mt Roger's Outfitters in Damascus is now the first thru-hiker headed south. having started at Katahdin on May 27. Man, these one horse hillbilly towns, got it down! Steve aka Thunder Rebel

TJ aka Teej
06-08-2006, 22:46
Maine is a real small place to the local inhabitants
Truth! Have a great season, Steve - and thanks for taking care of so many hikers over the years!

jaytew
06-12-2006, 20:53
I just found this thread after having started one in MEGA's Southbound thru hiker forum earlier called "Son and friend SOBO." My son, Jonathan (probably going by "Jon") and his good friend, Brom, (they don't have trail names that we know of yet) graduated from college May 14th or thereabouts (William and Mary and Haverford respectively). Brom's dad gave them a ride to BSP on June 2nd and they summitted Katahdin on June 3rd, then headed south on Sunday June 4th. We heard from them once a couple of days later after they had done an 18-mile day, but they didn't give us a location. If anyone sees them or hears of them, please tell them we said hello and to enjoy the trek. We look forward to hearing about their progress as often as possible -- from them directly and from all of you good people who happen to meet them or hear about them! [Tell Jonathan his Dad is STILL "jealous as hell!"] :D

Wolfclan
06-12-2006, 21:02
I will do what I can, but they will be way ahead of me. If it works out I will pass the message along. I will also keep my eyes open in the log books.
Wolfclan GA2ME 78

jaytew
06-12-2006, 21:44
As I was posting my earlier message tonight, the phone rang and it was Joanthan calling from Monson! He and Brom arrived in Monson this afternoon too late to get to the P.O. for the re-suuply box that should be awaiting them. They said they are pretty beat up with knees that are suffering and so plan to stop in Monson for at least one full day to take stock of things.

They confirm they started south from the foot of Katahdin on Sunday, June 4th and arrived in Monson today. They have had rain almost every day and are "waterlogged." They forded the river near Slugney Falls (?) at Long Pond River, but the Big Wilson River was impassable and so they by-passed using a logging road.

They enjoyed a pizza tonight and are looking forward to an all-you-can-eat breakfast in the morning. They are staying at Shaw's hostel tonight with several other SOBOs --most of whom are also beat up and bedraggled. Some of those that they have seen and hiked with are: Tina from CT; Nurse Dave and Runner Dave; Carlos from Mexico by way of GA; Thomas from TN and Eric from NJ. Carlos and Eric were in the Army. I can't say for sure which of these are also in Monson right now, but I will try to find out tomorrow.

Jonathan and Brom also ran into "Rebecca" who busted up a knee in the Hundred Mile Wilderness and left the trail by hiking out somehow. Also "Kurt" said he was leaving the trail too.

J & B saw a bull moose 20 to 30 feet ahead of them while on their way down from Katahdin in BSP. They have been averaging 10 to 11 miles or a little more a day and did one 18 miler (the day of their last communication which they said was from a logging road 2 to 3 miles before Potwadjo (?) lean-to. They somehow have had time to read both books they took with them (Asimov's "Foundation" and Baldacci's "Hour Game"), exchange the books and then exchange and read them again. :rolleyes: They should enjoy having two new books in their re-supply box. They are going to call agin tomorrow night and I'll try to get more info about other hiker's by name, condition, etc. The call should come in after 6:00 PM. If anyone wants to post inquiries about their hikers I'd be happy to inquire for you! :)

Wolfclan -- thanks very much for your posting and offer to keep and eye out!

They are more than a little discouraged about the condition of their knees and have actually wondered if this may be the end because their knees are so beat up. Their packs were 42-43 lbs. with 13 days of food when they started out (not counting water weight). Both are runners in good shape and have done two marathons each. Any advise or encouragement to pass along from veteran thru-hikers??

Barrel Roll
06-12-2006, 23:36
It won't get easier terrain-wise: Southern Maine is one of the toughest sections of the entire AT. However the weather is supposed to get better, albeit a lot muggier, which is problematic in its own right. If they have a lot of knee problems, some things to do are: try hiking poles if they're not using any, they help alleviate a lot of stress on the joints going downhill, and lose weight ASAP from their packs! I started around 50-55 with 1.5 week's food and water and lived by the rule that if I didn't use something for 3 days straight, it got sent right back home.

After a while you become used to the constant pain or your body becomes used to the beating and the swelling goes down which helps. Or it hurts so much it drives you off the trail. Best thing to do is tone down the miles, it's no shame to just have a couple 4-8 mile days in a row. They're marathon runners, so tell them: it's not about how far you get that day. It's about reaching the end and everything you do should be oriented towards that... less miles today may mean actually finishing as opposed to getting off after the Whites.

And the hiking gets smoother after NH until the Smokies.. they're doing great! It can be tough starting SOBO. Encouragement and a positive attitude from their base camp is everything :).

Barrel Roll
06-12-2006, 23:39
One more thing - they should be letting the trail get them in hiking shape. It's a little different than being in running shape... the body needs to get used to day-in day-out pounding on the joints. Tell them to take it easy until their body becomes acclimated. Take a day off, then dial the miles down to the point where the pain is a lot better. Slowly ramp it up. There'll be plenty of time to do big miles when you hit nicer terrain.

jaytew
06-13-2006, 06:39
Barrel Roll:

Thanks for the quick reply and advice which I will definitely pass on tonight when they call. I told them to take as many days off as they need in Monson to recover and to dial back the pace and miles. They had apparently came up with some rule similar to yours as they said they have a list of things to jettison (don't kow what yet). Excellent advice all around -- especially about the difference between running and long distance hiking -- and letting the trail get them in hiking shape.

Jonathan has a fair amount of long distance backpacking experience having done Philmont in New Mexico (55+miles); Northville-Lake Placid in the Adirondacks (121+miles); the North Highlands Trail in Scotland (90+) miles; and various other thru hikes/treks in Dolly Sods, WV, sections of the AT in VA, etc. -- so I take it seriously when he says they are pretty beat up right now. I think he is a bit surprised by the toll it has taken thus far, but he did not sound depressed or even discouraged. He says they have lots of good stories already and have met lots of great folks on the trail. We here at home are supporting this effort in every way we can from a distance. :)

jaytew
06-13-2006, 20:31
We got the scheduled call from Jonathan tonight. J & B are still in Monson where they feasted on an all-you-can-eat breakfast this morning and chowed down on a big dinner tonight at Shaw’s hostel. The day did not brighten the knee situation, however, and they have decided to pull the plug and head home. They will be getting a ride out to where they can connect with transportation to Boston where they will visit and stay with a friend. They then plan to work their way down from New England, to New York, to Pennsylvania and home to Virginia.

They are disappointed and surprised at the punishment their knees took, but they have made a considered decision to abort the trek. They say they met lots of great people on the trail and have some good stories to tell. I am sure they will share with those they visit on the way back and with the rest of us when they get home.

Jonathan confirms that Eric from NJ, Carlos from Mexico by way of GA and Tom from TN all arrived in Monson SOBO today. "Lefty" from Gettysburg, MAD also arrived at Monson.

Thank you to all those who said they would keep and eye out for J & B. Happy trails to all of you still out there! :sun

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” – Theodore Roosevelt