PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes in NY/NJ?

becfoot
08-29-2016, 11:13
I'm in the planning stages of a five-day 60+ mile section hike from NY-NJ (figure from Arden to Culvers Gap) next summer. Up where I am in NY--about 15 minutes from the AT, there's been an increase in developers clear-cutting land and more locals talking about wildlife sightings, as well as the active bear warnings in north Jersey as mentioned in the AT guide. We've had news reports of coyote sightings sprinkled over the past year (nothing recent, as far as I know,) and I've had bear, turkey, fox, and other random animals in my yard in the past. Any issues with coyotes on the trail? I plan to either hang my food or use bear boxes when available and I plan to camp within the vicinity of shelters, but any issue with personal safety as far as coyotes are concerned? I will be with one other person. Thanks for the info.

Gambit McCrae
08-29-2016, 11:21
Separating coyotes from general wildlife reports/ sightings (bear, raccoon, ..The normal rat & mouse problems) I have never heard of any issues with coyotes, I have always known them to be extremely shy and I have never seen one, have heard very few at night at that. I wouldn't worry about coyotes or bobcats.

I hear Mountain Lion liver is extremely tasty...

Sarcasm the elf
08-29-2016, 11:27
Plenty of coyotes in the area you are talking about, however coyotes are effectively a non-issue as far as being a threat to adult humans, I have encounters with them at least a few times a year both locally and on trail and they always just slink away.

As a fun fact, coyotes are rarely in a group that is larger than 2-4 individuals, however when they howl they modulate their voices to create many different pitches and it can sound like there are far more of them than there really are. So next time you are sitting in your tent and it sounds like there are a dozen coyotes in the distance you can relax, it is most likely just a pair of then yodeling. I learned this from one of the Zookeepers at Bear Mountain Zoo, which you might very well be passing through on your trip.

becfoot
08-29-2016, 11:30
Thanks. On occasion I've heard them from my yard. I'd rather have wildlife pests like raccoon, etc. any day over a coyote. As for mountain lion, supposedly there aren't any out here but I've heard conflicting stories from people who've spent time in the Shawangunks, so who knows.... I heard they're tasty. I'll happily have a mountain lion or coyote sandwich over a mountain lion or coyote visitor.

becfoot
08-29-2016, 11:34
Plenty of coyotes in the area you are talking about, however coyotes are effectively a non-issue as far as being a threat to adult humans, I have encounters with them at least a few times a year both locally and on trail and they always just slink away.

As a fun fact, coyotes are rarely in a group that is larger than 2-4 individuals, however when they howl they modulate their voices to create many different pitches and it can sound like there are far more of them than there really are. So next time you are sitting in your tent and it sounds like there are a dozen coyotes in the distance you can relax, it is most likely just a pair of then yodeling. I learned this from one of the Zookeepers at Bear Mountain Zoo, which you might very well be passing through on your trip.

Thanks for the interesting fact! I've spent a lot of time at the Bear Mountain Zoo--I may just head there again in the fall. I've heard coyotes from my yard--and exactly as you said, it sounds like a lot of them.

jeffmeh
08-29-2016, 12:10
Thanks. On occasion I've heard them from my yard. I'd rather have wildlife pests like raccoon, etc. any day over a coyote. As for mountain lion, supposedly there aren't any out here but I've heard conflicting stories from people who've spent time in the Shawangunks, so who knows.... I heard they're tasty. I'll happily have a mountain lion or coyote sandwich over a mountain lion or coyote visitor.

Be careful what you wish for. Raccoons can be much more problematic than coyotes.

ChrisMek
08-29-2016, 15:04
I live about a mile from the AT by Waywayanda SP. There are coyotes in the area. I hear them on occasion. Don't worry about them. They will run off when the hear/see/smell you. I've hear of an occasion where a coyote attacked a person's dog as she was walking it but i imagine that was probably more of a territory dispute for the coyote.

Be more concerned about the bears, raccoons and mice.

There have been reports of mountain lions for the past 10-15 years in Northern NJ but never any photo proof.

On a side note, on September 9, I will begin hiking the entire length of NJ beginning on the State Line Trail By Greenwood Lake and ending at the Delaware Water Gap. I'll let you know how the wildlife is when I get back!

dudeijuststarted
08-29-2016, 15:09
there were some coyotes howling around my camp one night in Connecticut. I never saw them or heard them come into camp. It was eerie, but really cool. I would not worry about coyotes, but always be aware of bear.

Uncle Joe
08-29-2016, 15:31
While coyotes are pack hunting more, only one notable human death has occurred up in Canada back in 09 I believe. That was confirmed to be an Eastern Coyote, which distinguishes itself as having some wolf genetics. We have coyotes in GA but I never give them a second thought and usually only see them in my headlights when they scurry across the road. That said, I've lived here some 25+ years and maybe have seen 2? Even if I were in the NE like Maine I wouldn't worry about coyotes. Statistically, it's probably below being attacked by a marauding band left-handed mandolin players. :D

AfterParty
08-29-2016, 15:37
What they all said. I had some surround me once at dark with no light. As soon as I turned the light on they were gone. Very sictish scavagers more then predators.

Traveler
08-29-2016, 16:03
Shouldn't be much problem with coyotes, never have had any before myself. I figured they were always too busy ordering devices via mail-order to capture small, fast, flightless birds.

becfoot
08-29-2016, 18:05
Shouldn't be much problem with coyotes, never have had any before myself. I figured they were always too busy ordering devices via mail-order to capture small, fast, flightless birds.

I guess I should rephrase my question: Does Acme deliver anvils to the trail?

Sarcasm the elf
08-29-2016, 18:09
I guess I should rephrase my question: Does Acme deliver anvils to the trail?

Only to towns, they don't do direct trailside delivery anymore.

Just Tom
08-29-2016, 19:28
Only ever had one slightly scary incident with coyotes, when I stumbled across some of their pups and I tried to get them on video. Wasn't the AT, just a local hardly used trail. I probably wasn't in any real jeopardy, just a bit freaky. Otherwise coyotes are practically common backyard varmits here in CT. I wouldn't be worried about them.

becfoot
08-29-2016, 21:56
ChrisMek, I look forward to your wildlife report!!!! And have a great hike!!!!!

LIhikers
08-30-2016, 10:18
While I haven't seen any, I have herd them howling at night while I was camping in Harriman State Park.

Sarcasm the elf
08-30-2016, 10:36
While I haven't seen any, I have herd them howling at night while I was camping in Harriman State Park.

I think I saw that same one near the Inn!

becfoot
09-02-2016, 17:22
Okay, so today I saw coyotes and bear on the AT in NY.
Of course, they were just hanging out trail side at the Bear Mountain Zoo.
(Does that count?)

MuddyWaters
09-02-2016, 18:41
A pack of feral dogs running wild is a bigger threat than coyotes

saltysack
09-03-2016, 10:19
I'd worry about the mice..... Not the yotes.....they are very wary... You'd be lucky to see one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfdoc
09-03-2016, 11:05
For more information RE: Coyotes, see PBS. presentation about the coywolf. Very interesting.

Sarcasm the elf
09-03-2016, 13:34
Last night I had one of my closest encounters with a coyote yet. I was hiking on a local trail in Connecticut (about 45 minutes from the A.T.) jist before dusk walking fast and quiet. There is a place where I had to duck under a large fallen tree and when I stood up I was looking at a very large and gorgeous coyote (probably around 40lb) about 25 feet from me, who appeared to be also walking down the trail in the same direction that I was and had no idea I was behind it. As soon as I saw it I clapped my hands and it turned around, did a double take when it saw me and the took off running down the trail.

rocketsocks
09-03-2016, 15:01
I had a fox follow me one night on a walk around the neighborhood, kinda freaked me out every time he yapped, and because foxes have been found locally with rabies, I kept a close eye on him using my inferior cell phone light.

rocketsocks
09-03-2016, 15:03
...but yeah, jersey has a good amount of coyotes, foxes too, they've done well here.

ChrisMek
09-23-2016, 14:29
Sorry for the late report. I had a great hike! I started with a friend on the State-Line trail by Greenwood Lake in Hewitt, NJ on Friday September 9. My friend "tapped out" after 14 miles and I hiked to Delaware Water Gap alone. It took me until September 15 to get there as I had to make up some time and miles.

So here is what I saw along the trail over the course of a week. 3 King snakes, 2 Garter snakes, 3 Whitetail Deer Bucks, 1 Whitetail Deer Doe. 1 Momma Bear with 1 Cub. Too many to count squirrells and chipmunks. I never saw or hear any coyotes. I did hear 2 different Owls hooting one night. Besides the hawks and vultures and other small birds, that was everything.

I wouldn't worry about the coyotes!

I had a great hike and I've already started planning my next section hike, which will be New York SOBO from CT to NJ.

illabelle
09-23-2016, 15:03
Coyote is my trail name. If all goes according to plan, there will be at least one coyote in NY/CT next May. Yip Yip Yip YOW!!!! Grrr!