PDA

View Full Version : Any UL wind/rain pants besides Driducks that aren't $$$$.

saltysack
08-29-2016, 15:35
Thinking about lil leg protection for late sept Collegiate loop hike. I always hike in shorts and carry rain skirt but thinking should carry wind/rain pants instead as its late season and good chance for cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leo L.
08-29-2016, 16:01
I have Chaps from Exped.
Easy to use, lightweight but sturdy, and not all to pricey.
http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/ponchos/chaps
While there is still some room for improvements, they work as expected.

RockDoc
08-29-2016, 16:50
Look for closeouts. We got all our Marmot gear for half price or less.

Cheyou
08-29-2016, 17:13
http://lukesultralite.com/argon-wind-pants

thom

Cheyou
08-29-2016, 17:19
I don't have Luke's . Borah gear made some for me . Argon 90 fabric very light and Very happy with them

Thom

saltysack
08-29-2016, 17:27
Thx guys all check them all out...

colorado_rob
08-29-2016, 17:33
What's your objection to dri ducks? I just finished my third 3-4 day CT section, sitting here at copper mtn, sucking down brews, wore my duck pants pretty much once a day at camp for warmth. Sure, the damn crotch rips out first chance it gets, but that just adds ventilation where needed, still plenty warm.

That being said, those argons look sweet...

But I still have a couple dri duck pants to wear out first.

saltysack
08-29-2016, 17:52
What's your objection to dri ducks? I just finished my third 3-4 day CT section, sitting here at copper mtn, sucking down brews, wore my duck pants pretty much once a day at camp for warmth. Sure, the damn crotch rips out first chance it gets, but that just adds ventilation where needed, still plenty warm.

That being said, those argons look sweet...

But I still have a couple dri duck pants to wear out first.

I've tried them twice....crotch thing just kills it..I froze my manhood off riding my scooter from SD to Fl several years back and swore them off....they just don't work for me as I have a hard time getting any pants to fit properly....small waist, big arse and legs...ill probably just wear the shorts with rain skirt..if legs get cold and not raining I'll just put on my cap 3 sleep pants....just can't stomach $80+ on wind/rain pants....I'm not really concerned with camp warmth as I usually set up and hit the sack quick when solo so sitting at camp doesn't really concern me...

AfterParty
08-29-2016, 21:37
I like scooters! Never thought chaps but I have some. Go commando and just wear chaps and a kilt. Not on the ruckus though.

saltysack
08-29-2016, 22:54
I like scooters! Never thought chaps but I have some. Go commando and just wear chaps and a kilt. Not on the ruckus though.

Ha..road King....lil far for the Honda ruckus...I did have a couple ruckus scooters...

saltysack
08-29-2016, 23:00
I don't have Luke's . Borah gear made some for me . Argon 90 fabric very light and Very happy with them

Thom

Wind or rain pants? How much $ and how heavy? Thx

Mags
08-29-2016, 23:46
Dancing ripstop warm up pants
http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_701.html?camp=Froogle_701&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=701&utm_campaign=Pro

They are wind pants by any other name (not rain pants).

They are unisex. A large is about a 34"-36" waist and weighs 3.5 oz.

$21 with S&H

Reviews:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64702

Pirouetting optional.

I've been using the same pair for about 4 years now. I like the DriDucks/Frogg Togg jackets. I keep the pants in the car kit.

Cheyou
08-30-2016, 05:23
http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_701.html?camp=Froogle_701&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=701&utm_campaign=Pro

$21 with S&H

Reviews:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64702

Pirouetting optional.

I've been using the same pair for about 4 years now. I like the DriDucks/Frogg Togg jackets. I keep the pants in the car kit.

very nice u look marvelous . I try to buy made in USA if possible.

saltysack
08-30-2016, 06:55

$21 with S&H

Reviews:

Pirouetting optional.

Perfect Mags! Just what I was looking for at a great price....can't wait till my wife sees the credit card statement....almost as good as Dirty Girl.....

colorado_rob
08-30-2016, 09:35
Awesome find, Mags. I'm going to pick up a couple pair (one for myself and one for my wife).

I'm on the fence on size though; medium or large. any fit advice? I'm a 32.5" waist, 33" inseam (though length isn't really important). I tend towards mediums in pants, any idea if these in a medium would be too tight if you have a body size anywhere near the same?

saltysack
08-30-2016, 09:55

$21 with S&H

Reviews:

Pirouetting optional.

$18.09 and free shipping on Amazon.....

saltysack
08-30-2016, 10:12
Awesome find, Mags. I'm going to pick up a couple pair (one for myself and one for my wife).

I'm on the fence on size though; medium or large. any fit advice? I'm a 32.5" waist, 33" inseam (though length isn't really important). I tend towards mediums in pants, any idea if these in a medium would be too tight if you have a body size anywhere near the same?

Rip-Stop Pant,701BLKL,Black,Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UR7PY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_g0yXxbB580YSE

Mags
08-30-2016, 11:38

From what other people report on other threads, and amazon reviews, they seem true to fit. At least *FOR MEN* I should say. The medium would probably fit you well waist wise if slightly shorter than optimal for your height.

Since it is wind gear, I tend to like baggier fits to go over thermals or shorts easily and quickly.

So...depends on how you wear it.

Here's what a taller/bigger gentleman wrote here on WB a couple of years ago if that helps:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?89254-rain-pants&p=1360062&viewfull=1#post1360062

re: Made in the USA

Much to my surprise, they are made in the USA. Or at least were 4 years ago I should say. Could not tell you now.

V Eight
08-30-2016, 13:05
Great timing! I was just looking at wind pants the other day. At $18 it's a no brainier!

V8

Dogwood
08-30-2016, 16:16

Yeah, but then you're likely purchasing chaps, kilt, and rain/wind jacket likely adding up to more $$ unless you already have some of the pieces of the ensemble.

Dogwood
08-30-2016, 16:59
Great suggestions for cheap rain/wind pants although have snagged UL rain/wind pants from the then GoLite Outlet at Silverton on the discount. GL Tumalo rain pants for $44. At the Montbell outlet in Portland negotiated a $55 price for MB Versalite rain/wind pants. And, from Montane, discontinued color/style Montane Featherlite pants which are more along the lines of true wind pants while the other two listed are true rain/wind pants for $45. FWIW, I think you need to decide if the weather and your other gear to which these pants have to fit entails the absolute need for true rain pants. As for myself there is little wt or possible volume savings comparing those three models so true dedicated wind only pants are less necessary for my endeavors. The breathability is not so different comparatively. I believe it absolutely can rain in Sept in Colorado on the CT although it's not like the summer monsoon weather. Thing is I've had and extensively used all these rain/wind pants. Compared to something like Dr Ducks which surely may work I likely would have had to buy 2 maybe 3 or even 4 pair of DrDucks compared to anyone of these pants so the upfront do re mi saved isn't all that so it comes down to performance and features. In this case the Dri Ducks are soundly beat according to ultimate do re mi allocated, performance, and features. From what I've experienced and from what I've observed from others using Dri Ducks is they start to pill and can rip especially it seems in the crotch area as CR has said. They seem overly baggy which may be good or bad too on me.

Dogwood
08-30-2016, 17:51
From what I can tell the dancing warm up ripstop nylon pants don't apply a DWR so they are strict just ripstop wind pants that will wet out in short order. Why would rip stock nylon pants marketed to dancers contain a DWR? Price looks right though as that may be all you require. Applying a high quality DWR adds to the cost. High quality longer lasting DWRs that don't impede breathability to such a great extent can be a nice feature to have in wind pants when one is attempting to cross over into the realm of true rain pants when rain is light or short duration. ???

Blaze12
08-30-2016, 17:55
I use a trusty garbage bag. For they price you can't go lighter than that.

Sent from mobile

colorado_rob
08-30-2016, 18:13
From what I can tell the dancing warm up ripstop nylon pants don't apply a DWR so they are strict just ripstop wind pants that will wet out in short order. Why would rip stock nylon pants marketed to dancers contain a DWR? Price looks right though as that may be all you require. Applying a high quality DWR adds to the cost. High quality longer lasting DWRs that don't impede breathability to such a great extent can be a nice feature to have in wind pants when one is attempting to cross over into the realm of true rain pants when rain is light or short duration. ???Salty can correct me if I'm wrong, but this thread is discussing "warmth" pants vs. actual "rain pants", meaning he's carrying a skirt for rain protection, which doesn't afford much warmth for mornings/evenings when the temps could be below freezing in mid-late September. So, he seems to be looking for a warmth layer to complement his leg rain skirt. Seems like a good system, actually; instead of the "standard" dri-duck pant, 5.5 ounces, which has it's limitations, maybe go with a 3-4 ounce skirt and 3-4 ounce wind/warmth pant, voila, nice versatile system.

Mags
08-30-2016, 18:25
I, personally, do not want DWR in wind pants.

DWR is usually not Durable or Water Repellent in the long run. And it breathes like crap.

Yes these pants are not water proof.

They are wind pants. Not rain pants.

Highly breathable and more to keep the warmth when worn with thermal layers.

And they work well for that use.

At least for me.

saltysack
08-30-2016, 18:44
Salty can correct me if I'm wrong, but this thread is discussing "warmth" pants vs. actual "rain pants", meaning he's carrying a skirt for rain protection, which doesn't afford much warmth for mornings/evenings when the temps could be below freezing in mid-late September. So, he seems to be looking for a warmth layer to complement his leg rain skirt. Seems like a good system, actually; instead of the "standard" dri-duck pant, 5.5 ounces, which has it's limitations, maybe go with a 3-4 ounce skirt and 3-4 ounce wind/warmth pant, voila, nice versatile system.

Yep...in addition to the 3.2 oz ULA rain skirt....I'm much more comfortable wearing running shorts with compression boxers under than convertibles or long pants etc.....the wind pants are for WIND and warmth in addition to wrap if it's raining....I've never had a pair of true rain pants that breathed enough to wear on the go even in cold weather....@ $18 I'll give it a shot...hell with Amazons return policy I could even return after the trip if they don't work.....given that Mags has used them for several years in the area I'm going i feel confident they just what I'm looking for........under 7oz for the pair sounds good to me....

Dogwood
08-30-2016, 18:49
Quite a few wind pants on the outdoors market include a DWR. Backpacking is after all an outside activity while dancing is an indoors activity. I get where you're coming from though. I think it comes down to if one wants true wind pants with optimal breathability, true rain pants, or something that attempts to sometimes bridge the gap offering characteristics of both true wind and true rain pants. FWIW, if I was running more in colder weather or doing done in a day peak bagging under CO conditions I might go for true dedicated wind pants. For now I'll be attempting to bridge the gap. ;)

Dogwood
08-30-2016, 18:57
There are many so so DWRs on the market especially with cheaper DWRed gear. There are however higher quality DWR treatments in themselves that last considerably longer comparatively.

saltysack
08-30-2016, 19:06
Basically I could wear long hiking pants and achieve a similar result I'm after but like the flexibility of wearing shorts with an optional outer layer. I was going to wear compression leggings under shorts but thought it might be too warm at lower elevation on the east side so thinking the Dance pants fit the bill at a cheap price.....Who said dancing is an inside sport?[emoji16]. I can make an arse out of my self outside just as easy!!

Mags
08-30-2016, 21:21
Quite a few wind pants on the outdoors market include a DWR.

And lot of shoes have GoreTex too.

Still crap.

Dogwood
08-30-2016, 21:30
Yeah, but as you know WPing in footwear goes so far beyond the GoreTex option. Even with GoreTex the specific footwear construction methods play a role in observed WPing. BTW, haven't bought or used anything GoreTex in years. So many typically better options IMHO with rain jackets, rain pants, footwear, etc than GoreTex.

Different strokes for different folks ya know. Always enjoy the give(hopefully) and take Mags.

Dogwood
08-30-2016, 21:33
Basically I could wear long hiking pants and achieve a similar result I'm after but like the flexibility of wearing shorts with an optional outer layer. I was going to wear compression leggings under shorts but thought it might be too warm at lower elevation on the east side so thinking the Dance pants fit the bill at a cheap price.....Who said dancing is an inside sport?[emoji16]. I can make an arse out of my self outside just as easy!!

he he he Make sure you remember that dancing in the rain. :D Have a great hike Salty. Still not bringing your son?

saltysack
08-30-2016, 21:46
he he he Make sure you remember that dancing in the rain. :D Have a great hike Salty. Still not bringing your son?

No just the pup, kids back in school so I'm planning 10.5 days Inc Elbert....hoping to take my son to either SNP or Grayson highlands on a 40-50 mile section during late October or November.....thanks again for all the great info everyone....

Dogwood
08-30-2016, 21:56
Stay warmly prepared summiting Elbert going into late Sept. Don't know your direction of travel but you may not have to come back down or go up the main Elbert trail possibly saving some miles and more importably(from my perspective) offering different scenery.

Secondmouse
08-31-2016, 13:15
Marmot Precip pants are used and liked by a lot of people...

saltysack
08-31-2016, 14:40
Marmot Precip pants are used and liked by a lot of people...

Yea looked at them...lil heavier than I want at +9oz for L and don't breath as well as lighter wind pants...thx

hayshaker170
08-31-2016, 15:19
Montbell Dynamo Wind Pants (<3 oz). But $70.

saltysack
08-31-2016, 16:41
Montbell Dynamo Wind Pants (<3 oz). But $70.

I about bought but $70 more than I want to spend....ill try the $18 dance pants as Mags recommends....second option is Borah gear will custom make for $50....

hikeandbike5
08-31-2016, 16:46
patagonia houdini pants. i got mine on sale for like $45.

saltysack
08-31-2016, 17:41
patagonia houdini pants. i got mine on sale for like $45.

If they are as good as the jacket that's a good deal......love my goochie Houdini....currently +$90.....

saltysack
08-31-2016, 17:48
Stay warmly prepared summiting Elbert going into late Sept. Don't know your direction of travel but you may not have to come back down or go up the main Elbert trail possibly saving some miles and more importably(from my perspective) offering different scenery.

DW...shooting to do this...
SE route
Quickest route up Mt. Elbert?

[quote name="saltysack" post=2079809]Are there any good camp spots on the northern route? Depending on timing finishing collegiate loop (day 10)if I can get back to Leadville to pick up my rental before 4pm I could drive to the trail head and begin that evening and maybe catch sunrise at summit....downside would be carrying a loaded pack less food weight...

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkGood plan! Hike up to treeline, camp, summit and descend, easy to make before noon using this scheme.

Excellent campsites along the east ridge route. None that I can think of along the NE ridge (what you call the northern route, I think), but there have to be some.

I can provide you an exact camp spot position and elevation on the East ridge; we use this every winter for our annual CO mountain club Elbert climb (25+ years running, I've led it for about 12 years now). Please consider doing the east ridge vs. the NE ridge, it's a much nicer route.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewhiteblaze%2Enet% 2Fforum%2Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D2079812&share_tid=119866&share_fid=24664&share_type=t&share_pid=2079812

Dogwood
08-31-2016, 18:47
Only reached the summit of Mt Elbert once. Ascended via the S. Mt Elbert Tr and descended on N.(NE) Mt Elbert Tr. Both routes as well as another (Black Cloud Creek Tr) are on the Aspen Independence Nat Geo TI Map #127 of which I entirely utilized the Nat Geo TI Maps on a CT flip flop thru hike. I've camped part way up S. Mt Elbert Tr twice. Have not camped on the N. Mt Elbert TR but if I was I'd try to get below treelike to camp. Preferably if I was doing this summit as a first I'd use Cal Topo maps instead. You could glean info from such sites as Summitpost, 14ers, Peakbagger, Rocky Mountain trails, fs.usda, etc that would provide more info than I know about. Might even get some MT Elbert chatter on the CT related forums. I'm sure CR, Mags, Beartooth, etc or one of the other Coloradans here will chime in correcting me if I've gotten anything wrong or provide greater insight.

BTW, first summit attempt in late Sept was aborted because I was ill prepared for -5* and 30 MPH winds at the summit. I wasn't the only one who aborted either. This info was gleaned from those descending from the summit. About 10" of snow was already on the ground. The two trails I used when I did summit had shallow snow but were already clearly used though ie;easy enough to follow. Expect company at the summit. Some of the CO 14ers have become crowded at times no longer a lone experience. BRING enough H2O even when it's cool or be prepared to melt snow!

saltysack
08-31-2016, 19:54
Only reached the summit of Mt Elbert once. Ascended via the S. Mt Elbert Tr and descended on N.(NE) Mt Elbert Tr. Both routes as well as another (Black Cloud Creek Tr) are on the Aspen Independence Nat Geo TI Map #127 of which I entirely utilized the Nat Geo TI Maps on a CT flip flop thru hike. I've camped part way up S. Mt Elbert Tr twice. Have not camped on the N. Mt Elbert TR but if I was I'd try to get below treelike to camp. Preferably if I was doing this summit as a first I'd use Cal Topo maps instead. You could glean info from such sites as Summitpost, 14ers, Peakbagger, Rocky Mountain trails, fs.usda, etc that would provide more info than I know about. Might even get some MT Elbert chatter on the CT related forums. I'm sure CR, Mags, Beartooth, etc or one of the other Coloradans here will chime in correcting me if I've gotten anything wrong or provide greater insight.

BTW, first summit attempt in late Sept was aborted because I was ill prepared for -5* and 30 MPH winds at the summit. I wasn't the only one who aborted either. This info was gleaned from those descending from the summit. About 10" of snow was already on the ground. The two trails I used when I did summit had shallow snow but were already clearly used though ie;easy enough to follow. Expect company at the summit. Some of the CO 14ers have become crowded at times no longer a lone experience. BRING enough H2O even when it's cool or be prepared to melt snow!

CR has given me great info on the trip...S Elbert trail is where I plan to start...as far up the 4x4 road the rental suv will safely go. No way I'd continue in those temps either...I'm hoping for cool weather but -5!!! Hell no!

Dogwood
08-31-2016, 21:22
Got to know when to say when. It hurts the gung ho go go go just do it go for it ego but I'll take prudence over excessive pride. Wow, reading my comment getting older and hopefully wiser. ;)

saltysack
09-01-2016, 20:27
Well I wish my ballet wind pants would have arrived I could have tested them out in hurricane tonight....[emoji38]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160902/bb1d6f89d9148837f594b0948ff8b3ef.jpg

jeffmeh
09-02-2016, 08:24
I don't run up mountains, I don't hike up mountains, I plie up mountains! :-P

Dogwood
09-02-2016, 09:12
Saltysack: "Hey, I'm thru-dancin the Collegiate Loop. Don't judge me. I have to express my inner dance self."

Other hikers: "Saltysack, are those dancing warm up pants you're wearing? Where's your tutu?"

Saltysack: "No, that's a kilt/rain skirt."

Other hikers: "Saltysack, maintain your center of gravity descending while practicing the 4th Position."

saltysack
09-14-2016, 20:49
Saltysack: "Hey, I'm thru-dancin the Collegiate Loop. Don't judge me. I have to express my inner dance self."

Other hikers: "Saltysack, are those dancing warm up pants you're wearing? Where's your tutu?"

Saltysack: "No, that's a kilt/rain skirt."

Other hikers: "Saltysack, maintain your center of gravity descending while practicing the 4th Position."

My wife is really busting my balls over this purchase! Thx MAGS!!![emoji38]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160915/2dc5b78a1d8a27552e31318b1cd195ed.jpg

Dogwood
09-14-2016, 20:59
I'm just poking at ya all. The wind pants combined with the rain skirt and Helium should be fine although I've never done that which is why you should tell us how that layering system worked for ya on the loop in sept/oct:D.

saltysack
09-24-2016, 09:49

$21 with S&H

Reviews:

Pirouetting optional.

Well the $18 dance pants are my new favorite piece of gear! Put them to the test!!!!! Yesterday evening on the divide outside Monarch pass...below freezing with 50+ mph wind and snow...with only compression boxers and shorts underneath my legs stayed ok....not warm obviously! My colder top half had synthetic T, Houdini wind jacket, OR helium 2 rain shell and even put on my down UL down parka.....I've never seen weather like this......these pants are great...this trip has seen wind driven rain in the mid 40s and legs stayed reasonably dry and warm...http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/3a9d0fde14cf8b4fc095b85726c23828.jpg

Dogwood
09-24-2016, 10:08
Saltysack is now called Little Ripper?

Dogwood
09-24-2016, 10:13
Last time on the CT more than 15 of us were sitting around the post having a snack and swapping stories. I was the only hiker. The rest were MBers all great folks. Astonished by my attitudes they said the same to me being a hiker. Building bridges, building bridges. We all can happily share the trail.

Fooses Crk is a nice CT segment with plenty of CS's and some H20.

saltysack
09-24-2016, 10:26
Last time on the CT more than 15 of us were sitting around the post having a snack and swapping stories. I was the only hiker. The rest were MBers all great folks. Astonished by my attitudes they said the same to me being a hiker. Building bridges, building bridges. We all can happily share the trail.

Fooses Crk is a nice CT segment with plenty of CS's and some H20.

I've seen about 15 bikers all nice as could be...only seen 3-4 day hikers, 2 CDT sobo, 1 CT thru....all folks have been amazing. I had to carry my pup down a few miles back to chalk creek and out....think the damn 21+ mile day ending with the awful road walk did him in. I met a trail volunteer that lived near chalk creek who took me into BV. He makes all the engraved signs for the trail. Great folks seem to surround all Ld hiking trails it seems....ended up catching shuttle into Poncha springs to board my pup til I'm done Tuesday or Wednesday. Start the west in hour or so...

jeffmeh
09-26-2016, 12:01
Well the $18 dance pants are my new favorite piece of gear! Put them to the test!!!!! Yesterday evening on the divide outside Monarch pass...below freezing with 50+ mph wind and snow...with only compression boxers and shorts underneath my legs stayed ok....not warm obviously! My colder top half had synthetic T, Houdini wind jacket, OR helium 2 rain shell and even put on my down UL down parka.....I've never seen weather like this......these pants are great...this trip has seen wind driven rain in the mid 40s and legs stayed reasonably dry and warm...

Pictures pirouetting or it didn't happen. :-P

saltysack
09-29-2016, 20:07
Pictures pirouetting or it didn't happen. :-P

All the way! On top of cottonwood pass before I realized my food cache had been http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160930/9d2704eaedd4b8539b5393055ad0a71c.jpgstolen! I was really pirouetting then!

jeffmeh
09-30-2016, 04:03
Sorry to hear about the food cache. Do you suspect beasts of the 4-legged or the 2-legged variety?

saltysack
09-30-2016, 13:34
Sorry to hear about the food cache. Do you suspect beasts of the 4-legged or the 2-legged variety?

I had it hidden fairly well I thought....it was a camo 50 cal metal ammo can lined with odor barrier bag...seriously doubt a bear carried off the can....I should have gone on north side of the road where less tourists go....waisted 3-4 hours going into town....live and u learn....it was only 1.5 days more days of food, I should have sacked up and carried it! Made for an exciting evening and night!!!! I'll do a trip review soon but in short I was nearly trampled by a moose in the dark while night hiking...wish I had a spare set of underwear!!!!