PDA

View Full Version : hammock question

ttravel
01-09-2006, 21:01
I've noticed that hammocks are popular and since I'm not familiar with them - where does your gear go and stay dry? Is there enough room to sleep and store stuff in there?
Thanks.

Footslogger
01-09-2006, 21:05
Some folks leave stuff in their packs and place them under the hammock with a pack cover at night. Some take certain items inside and hang a bag under the fly at the end of the hammock. Lots of ways of doing it. But you are correct ...there is NOT a lot of room inside the hammock and once you are inside everything sort of caves in on top of you unless you have it hanging from the ridgline.

'Slogger

MorrisseyFan
01-09-2006, 21:08
I just want to say that I've been wondering the same dang thing. Thanks for asking this quesiton, ttravel.

neo
01-09-2006, 21:11
I've noticed that hammocks are popular and since I'm not familiar with them - where does your gear go and stay dry? Is there enough room to sleep and store stuff in there?
Thanks.

take a look at my pics,my tarp 9x9 is more than big enough to keep me and my gear dry,i also hang some things in stuff sacks at each end of my hammock:cool: neo
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9720&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9721&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7105&c=577

Just Jeff
01-09-2006, 21:39
My favorite...get a gear hammock. I've made two types: a Pack Cover Gear Hammock (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Documents/Transfer%20from%20Desktop/Hiking/Hiking%20Webpage/HomemadeGearPackCoverGearHammock.html) and a kids hammock (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Documents/Transfer%20from%20Desktop/Hiking/Hiking%20Webpage/HomemadeGearKidsHammock.html).
Put your stuff in a compactor bag or pack liner under your hammock. The tarp will keep it dry, and the bag will protect it from ground moisture. This is easiest and lightest if you already carry a bag liner.
Hang it with your bearbag. Kind of a pain if you realize you need something after it's hung.
Clip it to the end of your hammock with a 'biner. The tarp will keep it dry unless you get windblown rain. Very easy to get to your stuff, though.
Sleep with your extra stuff and stick your non-framed pack under your legs for insulation.
Get a Clark and put your stuff in the pockets. Or sew your own pockets into your hammock

Just Jeff
01-09-2006, 21:43
Harumph. The edit button didn't show up and all of the formatting and links are wrong. Try this one...

- My favorite...get a gear hammock. I've made two types: a Pack Cover / Gear Hammock (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPackCoverGearHammock.html) and a Kids Hammock (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearKidsHammock.html).

- Put your stuff in a compactor bag or pack liner under your hammock. The tarp will keep it dry, and the bag will protect it from ground moisture. This is easiest and lightest if you already carry a bag liner.

- Hang it with your bearbag. Kind of a pain if you realize you need something after it's hung.

- Clip it to the end of your hammock with a 'biner. The tarp will keep it dry unless you get windblown rain. Very easy to get to your stuff, though.

- Sleep with your extra stuff and stick your non-framed pack under your legs for insulation.

- Get a Clark and put your stuff in the pockets. Or sew your own pockets into your hammock

I usually use a gear hammock or just clip my pack and a few stuff sacks to the ridgeline.

peter_pan
01-09-2006, 21:48
You won't have much gear left when you are set up... bear bag in tree somewhere else...Hammock set up...clothes bag inside for pillow...ditty bag in bear bag if that is where the tooth paste is... pot and stove outside on the ground...water bladder at the tree at the footend of the hammock, take a drink after mid-nite stroll...Leaves a near empty pack, first aide kit, camera and a few misc items and your shoes...

options:

1...place them under the hammock and forget about them...

2...Same as above but put all in your pack bag liner "glad bad"...

3...Hang the pack over the hammock suspension line... and shoes with laces tied together over the other end of hammock suspension line ( all this under the Tarp)...

4...Or use one of Just Jeff's gear hammock/Pack covers...http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Jeffs%20Gear%20Hammock-Pack%20Cover.htm.... This really works well and provides convient waterproof storage...I used to use option 3 but have found the JGH/PC to be useful and light....but then I'm biased.

Pan

Trooper347
01-09-2006, 22:51
Also there is the Clark Hammock line, that have storage pockets already on them. A little more expensive than other models, but that was no question for me when considering my bed for six months or so. Pockets stuffed with any clothing not worn provide excelent insulation, and you can even use leaves if you get that cold. While using my hammock, I usually can empty the pack into the pockets, hang the bear bag if needed, and put the empty pack in the foot end of the hammock. (I'm only 5'6" so the hammock has alot of room left over lol)

Seeker
01-13-2006, 16:03
You won't have much gear left when you are set up... bear bag in tree somewhere else...Hammock set up...clothes bag inside for pillow...ditty bag in bear bag if that is where the tooth paste is... pot and stove outside on the ground...water bladder at the tree at the footend of the hammock, take a drink after mid-nite stroll...Leaves a near empty pack, first aide kit, camera and a few misc items and your shoes...

options:

1...place them under the hammock and forget about them...

2...Same as above but put all in your pack bag liner "glad bag"...

3...Hang the pack over the hammock suspension line... and shoes with laces tied together over the other end of hammock suspension line ( all this under the Tarp)...

4...Or use one of Just Jeff's gear hammock/Pack covers...http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Jeffs%20Gear%20Hammock-Pack%20Cover.htm.... This really works well and provides convient waterproof storage...I used to use option 3 but have found the JGH/PC to be useful and light....but then I'm biased.

Pan

i agree. that's just about exactly how i do it... my pack is nearly empty at night. shoes get tied to a small biner on the ridgeline inside. keeps spiders and such out of them. if they're too muddy, i hang them out through the slit, but that's rare... even if it's raining, you can squat under the tarp, hold your shoes out in the rain, and rinse them off... any leftover clothing goes in my sleeping bag stuff sack for a pillow and quick access if i need it later in the night. water bottle goes in a pocket i made inside which will also accomodate a paperback if i brought one. stove, pot, food, and hygiene items all go in the bear bag. other 'miscellaneous' gear stays in the outside pocket of my pack. i can hang it off the same biner as my shoes or lay it under my feet for more insulation. i hang my photon and headlamp off the overhead line, along with my glasses, a carabiner watch, and a thermometer (if i bring one, usually only in colder temps, when i'm experimenting with new insulation). there's a small loop in the ridgeline, at both the head and foot end, that i have put a small 1/4 oz biner through. i've already mentioned using one to hang my shoes from. if there is anything else i need inside with me, i can put it in the hammock stuff sack and hang it from the head end loop. it's sort of dead space anyway, like bow or stern storage in a kayak... good for small items. all i have to do it reach over my head and undo the drawstring, and it's accessible.

Just Jeff
01-13-2006, 18:51
I've found that a small loop of cord makes a great prussik for the ridgeline or hammock support ropes. I can hook my photon on it, stick the cordlock of a stuffsack through it, or clip a mini-biner on there. That way my things stay where I put them and don't slide down. For example, clipping a bag to the foot end of the ridgeline means I wake up with it near my head - with the prussik it stays at the foot.

ttravel
01-14-2006, 10:33
Thanks everyone for your replies. This helps and gives me some ideas.

Seeker
01-14-2006, 13:24
I've found that a small loop of cord makes a great prussik for the ridgeline or hammock support ropes. I can hook my photon on it, stick the cordlock of a stuffsack through it, or clip a mini-biner on there. That way my things stay where I put them and don't slide down. For example, clipping a bag to the foot end of the ridgeline means I wake up with it near my head - with the prussik it stays at the foot.

dang... now why didn't i think of that?! bet it's lighter than my biners too... thanks...