PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use "cheap" packs?

OhCanada
08-29-2016, 21:50
I've been looking at ultralight packs but I don't get out enough to fork out $200-$300 USD; just trying to lighten my load mainly by taking less.
I bought a second hand Spalding bag for $15, not a brand I'd normally buy but the price was right. This bag is around 3 pounds which is about half the weight of my Kelty bag.

So has anyone gone the cheap bag way rather than the expensive dedicated ultralight brands? People/books often say that with less weight the bags don't need to have heavy fabrics so it would stand that lightweight cheaper bags would last longer than if you overloaded them with traditional weight gear.

OldGringo
08-29-2016, 22:05
I picked up an REI flash 45 when it was on clearance. $80... I'm very happy with it. You can't compare it to some of the more expensive offerings. I definitely prefer my ULA's. But I would not hesitate to take it out for a weekend summer trip. It's held up fine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DuneElliot
08-30-2016, 09:08
A great guide from Gossamer Gear for anyone trying to lighten the load while strapped for cash:

http://gossamergear.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Ultracheap_Henley.pdf

tarditi
08-30-2016, 09:09
for people who go UL, they typically "invest" in the expensive bags or MYOG with something like the Ray bag.

I wouldn't pack my expensive UL gear in a cheap $15 bag, but if I had expensive UL gear the bag would be a deliberate, planned, part of the overall packing/carriying strategy.

Carrying less isn't the same thing as UL, necessarily. It's just taking less. I wouldn't want to pack like a day hike to do a week-long section hike just because I was limited by my $15 bag or (hypothetical) $100 budget... that's inviting trouble through being under-prepared.

PAHiker
08-30-2016, 09:22
Six Moon Designs Fusion 50 and 65 - 2014 models for $100.00. Quality packs at cheap prices.

Ktaadn
08-30-2016, 09:59
I have a Granite Gear Virga. I paid less than $70 for it from the clearance section of their website. It weighs 23.5oz and has been great anytime of year. If you are patient, you can always find a bargain.

DuneElliot
08-30-2016, 11:03
Six Moon Designs Fusion 50 and 65 - 2014 models for $100.00. Quality packs at cheap prices.

+1 on this also. But they no longer have the 2014 65L models available, only the 50L

KidA24
08-30-2016, 11:24
The backpack is the absolute last place I would skimp. A bad pack will result in hip/leg/back pain while carrying even the lightest of loads. Not what you want if you're planning to walk long distances.

scope422
08-30-2016, 11:47
Check Walmart. They have pack called the Arrowhead which is like 2lbs but kind of on the small torso size. I think its a 48L pack. If it fits you its not a bad pack as long as you keep your pack weight kinda light. Its only like $30. I used it for a couple of years before I bought a better pack. I'm no expert, just what I've tried.

Mags
08-30-2016, 11:56
Three things not to skim on IMO:

Sleeping bag/quilt
Shoes
Pack

Not that less expensive options are bad, but price should be the last consideration. A more expensive pack is not necessarily better, but if you buy a pack with the price being the main criteria, you may not like the pack in the long run.

The SMD pack is a good bargain right now, handles a lot of weight and is not heavy. You indicated you don't plan to carry much so the 50L pack may fit your need well. A friend of mine hiked the CDT with that model last year.

Believe it or not, the Ozark Trails (Walmart) packs are serviceable for moderate use. High Sierra and Teton Gear is in a similar category.

But they are heavy and $50-$70 depending. If you wait as others suggested, you will finder a better quality pack for not much more money. Look at the other examples people found.

Shutterbug
08-30-2016, 11:56
I've been looking at ultralight packs but I don't get out enough to fork out $200-$300 USD; just trying to lighten my load mainly by taking less.
I bought a second hand Spalding bag for $15, not a brand I'd normally buy but the price was right. This bag is around 3 pounds which is about half the weight of my Kelty bag.

So has anyone gone the cheap bag way rather than the expensive dedicated ultralight brands? People/books often say that with less weight the bags don't need to have heavy fabrics so it would stand that lightweight cheaper bags would last longer than if you overloaded them with traditional weight gear.

I often use a Costco pack -- about $35. It is a few oz. heavier than my Golite Pack, but does great for a one or two night backpacking trip.

yaduck9
08-30-2016, 12:39

her are two youtube vids of two different ( good ) guys who had two different ideas concerning equipment. Both made it to Mine, both had fun, both had great attitudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nVoX6mlmdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq-Rya2AxII

:-?

jcamp
08-30-2016, 14:02
I have been using a gossamer gear ruckus that I got on sale for less than $40. It's made of really nice Robic material and carries 40L. The side pockets aren't big enough for a nalgene but smart water bottles fit perfectly. It's can't fit my full winter load out but it's perfect for the other 85%of my trips.

Dogwood
08-30-2016, 16:07
You're exaggerating or simply need to do more research. Plenty of sub $200 UL packs on the market. I've been using a 20-21 oz 54 L $125-135 ULA Conduit/CDT for 7 yrs. As said look at Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs, etc, etc etc. Not every UL pack has to be a $300+ ZP's backpack!!! NOR does an UL backpack need to be made from Cuben Fiber!!!

Christoph
08-30-2016, 17:29
While mine isn't considered UL by any means, I did manage to lighten it up quite a bit while still retaining it's strength/integrity. I bought a Kelty Santa Fe 4000 years ago for around $89 on sale. Took it on my thru attempt and learned a few tricks that worked for me on the last few section hikes. I think originally the pack weighs in around 5 pounds. I shaved off 2 full pounds by removing the top cover (I only stored my rain gear in it and now I just cram my rain jacket over my food bag inside and pull the cord shut). And I guess I got lucky because I removed the internal metal frame pieces (3 of them) and when fully loaded on a recent section, noticed absolutely no difference in weight transfer. Now you can get them fairly cheap online, used. This is what worked for me and while I'd say it isn't (wasn't) a cheap pack, I couldn't see myself spending a lot of money on the latest greatest. Of course like Dogwood said, there's plenty of packs under 200 that you don't have to modify like I did. But, this is what works for me and I'll carry Animal (that's his name) on my next attempt.

OhCanada
08-30-2016, 17:53
Thanks for the replies. I knew some would promote the dedicated packs as they have already bought them. Those commenting on some of there packs are ones that went inexpensive vs cheap and much of my gear is bought second hand but still brand name.

It is interesting that there seems to be two groups on WB, the brand name folks and the DIY folks. I agree that a failure in the pack that carries your gear is not something you want. Small failures can happen to even brand name gear.

What happened before all this UL gear craze happened? People took what they had and made do ala Grandma Gatewood types. I am not putting one way over the other and really what I need to do is pack and carry my bag and see. The reason for the cheapness is that I could lay out $200 on a bag, I am trying to get gear weight down with what I have rather than those $1,000 gear lists.

Dogwood
08-30-2016, 17:59
Three things not to skim on IMO:

Sleeping bag/quilt
Shoes
Pack

Not that less expensive options are bad, but price should be the last consideration. A more expensive pack is not necessarily better, but if you buy a pack with the price being the main criteria, you may not like the pack in the long run.

The SMD pack is a good bargain right now, handles a lot of weight and is not heavy. You indicated you don't plan to carry much so the 50L pack may fit your need well. A friend of mine hiked the CDT with that model last year.

Believe it or not, the Ozark Trails (Walmart) packs are serviceable for moderate use. High Sierra and Teton Gear is in a similar category.

But they are heavy and $50-$70 depending. If you wait as others suggested, you will finder a better quality pack for not much more money. Look at the other examples people found.

Once again solid info. Think about it you're either in your sleeping bag/quilt or in your shoes on a hike how many hrs in a 24 hr day? It pays to get those dialed in. Again, how many hours does a backpacker wear his/hers backpack. It pays to get these all dialed in. Obsessing over these IMHO, especially the footwear/what's on the feet, combined with an adequate but not necessarily stratospheric priced backpack leads to hiking comfort. Get the sleep system down next.

Uriah
08-30-2016, 18:07
Small failures can happen to even brand name gear.

Big failures too; I can vouch.

What happened before all this UL gear craze happened? People took what they had and made do...

I realize you're a Cannuck, but making do is not the American Dream! You need to keep up with the Jones's, dammit!

I've made do with less than most here, and yet have hiked more than most here. Beware the experts, you needn't spend much to go backpacking. I think my Wal-Mart Ozark Trail Atka (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/ozark-trail/atka-28l/) (egads, no!) has close to 7,000 miles on it and counting. At 12 ounces, there's ultralight for you. And "cheap" too, at only $18.72. And with a capacity of 28L, it'll force you to go ultralight.

Mags
08-30-2016, 18:12
It is interesting that there seems to be two groups on WB, the brand name folks and the DIY folks. I agree that a failure in the pack that carries your gear is not something you wan

No. Just common sense speaking from experience.

Since I just espoused the utility of $20 wind pants from a Dancing supply company, not sure which category I fall into.

I think my Wal-Mart Ozark Trail Atka (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/ozark-trail/atka-28l/) (egads, no!) has close to 7,000 miles on it and counting. At 12 ounces, there's ultralight for you. And "cheap" too, at only $18.72. And with a capacity of 28L, it'll force you to go ultralight.

There are always outliers. A 28L pack would not work for most.
I know people who did he AT in $5 shoes, too.... Does not mean I would suggest it for most.

This size pack is probably more realistic for many (50L) and is $50 at Walmart. (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-45L-Montpelier-Ad-Pack/49332921?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=49332921&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=f30bc0b5-bc44-4a3d-b68a-ef3717d89d91&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=36606593&parent_anchor_item_id=36606593&guid=e91e5deb-8b97-476a-8763-b530bdcea07c&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n)

Another option is an external frame pack. $25 used. 3 lbs in many cases. And a war horse that lasts.

Dogwood
08-30-2016, 18:42
I fall into the category that all options should be explored. Have plenty of DIY pieces and plenty of hoity toity name brand high end pieces. Again. Mags got it right dialing in those three areas IMO. Sometimes that means dropping some do re mi to get it for some. Heck backpacking even after/IF dropping some serious $$$ still isn't all that expensive comparatively to many other sports, activities, etc. For example, have you seen the $$$ fishermen or hunters drop on trips? How about tennis lessons? Even playing football at the high school and above level can get costly overall.

nsherry61
08-30-2016, 19:16
Grandma Gatewood hiked the AT 3 times with nothing more than a duffel bag thrown over her shoulder? So, quit being a weenie, load up a nice 30-40L stuff sack (significantly less than a pound), throw it over your shoulder and head out. :jump

RockDoc
08-30-2016, 23:37
I want something really good, and if I'm lucky enough to find it, I buy it.
Price is secondary. Finding what I want, without compromise, is primary.

But I guess you can't do that if you ain't got no money.

Another Kevin
08-31-2016, 12:46
I follow Mags's lead and I have a mix of expensive high-end gear, inexpensive "starter" gear and dirtbag substitutes.

For several years I used an ALPS Mountaineering pack that I got for under $70 at an REI garage sale. I had a lot of fun with it. It carried OK for me. My Granite Gear Crown VC60 is about 12 oz lighter and rather more comfortable, so I have incrementally more fun with it, but the cheaper and heavier pack didn't keep me from having fun.

I'm still using my REI Radiant 20 sleeping bag. One of these years, I might spring for a lighter one if I don't turn into a hammock hanger first. But it's true to rating and I sleep well in it.

Shoes - I've found that New Balance 610 with green Superfeet fit my feet. I've tried considerably more expensive options that didn't.

It's not the lightest stuff, nor the most expensive, nor yet the cheapest, nor yet the heaviest. It's good enough, and cheap enough, and I've had it out for a lot of miles on a lot of weekends. I've had a lot of fun with it, and isn't that what matters in a hobby?

Lnj
08-31-2016, 14:13
I just got a cheap "WASING 55L" for $53 off Amazon for my daughter to try, since it's her first true backpacking trip and we have no idea if she will love it or hate it... it seemed a better idea to go cheap initially. We take it out this weekend. It should arrive tomorrow. I will report back if it gets the job done well enough.

Dogwood
08-31-2016, 14:29
…I have a mix of expensive high-end gear, inexpensive "starter" gear and dirtbag substitutes.

For several years I used an ALPS Mountaineering pack that I got for under $70 at an REI garage sale. I had a lot of fun with it. It carried OK for me. My Granite Gear Crown VC60 is about 12 oz lighter and rather more comfortable, so I have incrementally more fun with it, but the cheaper and heavier pack didn't keep me from having fun.

I'm still using my REI Radiant 20 sleeping bag. One of these years, I might spring for a lighter one if I don't turn into a hammock hanger first. But it's true to rating and I sleep well in it.

Shoes - I've found that New Balance 610 with green Superfeet fit my feet. I've tried considerably more expensive options that didn't.

It's not the lightest stuff, nor the most expensive, nor yet the cheapest, nor yet the heaviest. It's good enough, and cheap enough, and I've had it out for a lot of miles on a lot of weekends. I've had a lot of fun with it, and isn't that what matters in a hobby?

here here absolutely. I'm in the same camp. If ya really want to get out backpacking it rarely requires throwing the largest sum of $$$ at it. well said that IF you're going to spend the do re mi get the sleeping bag/quilt, pack and shoes right. Even then it doesn't always require buying the highest end pieces in these categories.

JC13
08-31-2016, 16:12
All this is summed up by saying, If the cheap gear fits and is comfortable, congrats for you! We tried the cheap pack option for my wife, it did fine on practice hikes but once we got out on the AT we realized that it was too short for her torso and it wasn't adjustable. $30 pack had multiple good reviews and youtube videos on it. Ended up dropping $170 at Neels for an Osprey that fit her perfect and made the trip way more enjoyable. Personally, I use the $100 Six Moon and it has been great.

OldGringo
08-31-2016, 23:00
good enough, and cheap enough, and I've had a lot of fun with it, and isn't that what matters in a hobby?

I think this sums it up perfectly.... Each of us will have different definitions of what "enough" is. HYOH... Right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Water Rat
09-01-2016, 09:59

You are off to a great start if you are beginning by lightening your pack weight!

Just to clarify - One absolutely can go out and have a great time with a less expensive pack. It all depends on how long you are going out at a time and how much you personally trust that specific piece of gear. One can get by on weekend trips with a less expensive pack...if it fits you and holds your stuff, then you are good to go. Would I trust this long run or on a longer hike? No, but whatever gets you out on the trail in the meantime.

Inspect the stitching - Heavier fabric does not necessarily translate to a longer lasting pack. Just because the fabric is heavier, it doesn't mean the stitching will hold. When things are mass-produced they are often run through big machines where the stitching might not be closely inspected. Thread weight would also be a concern of mine - If they used a lesser thread weight the stitched simply will not hold over time.

I wouldn't expect a $15 pack to last that long... Quality of craftsmanship is also something (in addition to lighter weights) that goes into the more expensive packs.

However, it sounds like you may have overlooked sales that are coming up, or buying from those who have (or have not finished) long hikes and are looking to sell their gear at a big discount. There are a whole bunch of really good new and used packs that are a "happy medium" to be had between the $15 and $200 prices you mention.

Bronk
09-01-2016, 13:42
My preference is to find name brand gear in the discount rack, but most of my hiking clothing is bought from the clearance rack at Walmart...that way if it gets beat up, dirty or stinks too much I have no problem just throwing it away...I have a 30 degree sleeping bag that I got on sale for $39.99 that normally sold for more than double that price. If you are patient you can find a nice pack on sale for around $80. If you don't have the mentality of "I have to buy this right now" then you can usually find some good deals.

Dogwood
09-01-2016, 13:58
Even with high end name brand gear, of which I have a closet full, it is not required to always pay high end name brand full retail price. There are ways to dirtbag/get discounted name brand high end gear. This is what is largely in my gear closet. Many ways to get discounted gear like this: outdoor consignment/resale stores of new to slightly used to trashed gear(many stores out west), military surplus stores, discontinued styles/color/etc, Sierra Trading Post, last yr's models, out of season purchases, etc. I always try to buy gear especially clothing off season. You will rarely find me buying say a down parka that just arrived on the market fetching top ooh ahh got to have it dollar or during the season leading up to winter or during winter. Communicated here on WB many times there is also the DIY route that can get one the personally customized gear they want at a fraction of the price. One of the other positives of DIY gear is that it involves a greater knowing of your gear.

SpoonsMcgoo
09-01-2016, 14:14
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs/F50-CU.html?redirected=1

I just did a 6 day on the NCT with this baby. $100 best bargain out there.

MtDoraDave
09-02-2016, 06:38
My first pack was a surplus ILBE military pack. 9 lbs empty. Hunters and "outdoorsmen" love them... what did I know about hiking?

I discovered it was way too heavy, but I still didn't want to spend the money a "good" pack cost - so when I saw the JanSport Katadin 60 liter on sale for $60 on Campmor.com, I bought it on impulse. It weighs 4lbs 1oz - cutting 5lbs off my back for $60!

While I found it to be less than idea for my needs, it has been sufficient and comfortable enough. My biggest complaint with it is that the waist belt doesn't hold tension. I have to re-tighten the belt periodically when I notice that the weight is on my shoulders instead of on my hips.

By scanning the threads here, I will eventually find a link or suggestion that leads to a better pack - better suited to my needs.
Many of the UL packs have a 30lb limit, and I haven't gotten my load under 30lbs yet, especially considering I do 1 week section hikes and often don't stop in the middle of that week to resupply, so 8 days of food is easily 16lbs. Add winter clothing and winter bag, and the total weight gets over 30lbs quickly.

JC13
09-02-2016, 08:25
$100 Six Moon Designs Fusion 2014. I carried 51 pounds in it From Springer... Only comfort issue I had was due to improper adjustment. I had it set to large and once that was squared up, it was great. Not saying anyone should carry 51 lbs of crap but I was trying to avoid resupply on a 10-day section.

Dogwood
09-02-2016, 09:42
You are off to a great start if you are beginning by lightening your pack weight!

Just to clarify - One absolutely can go out and have a great time with a less expensive pack. It all depends on how long you are going out at a time and how much you personally trust that specific piece of gear. One can get by on weekend trips with a less expensive pack...if it fits you and holds your stuff, then you are good to go. Would I trust this long run or on a longer hike? No, but whatever gets you out on the trail in the meantime.

Inspect the stitching - Heavier fabric does not necessarily translate to a longer lasting pack. Just because the fabric is heavier, it doesn't mean the stitching will hold. When things are mass-produced they are often run through big machines where the stitching might not be closely inspected. Thread weight would also be a concern of mine - If they used a lesser thread weight the stitched simply will not hold over time.

I wouldn't expect a $15 pack to last that long... Quality of craftsmanship is also something (in addition to lighter weights) that goes into the more expensive packs.

However, it sounds like you may have overlooked sales that are coming up, or buying from those who have (or have not finished) long hikes and are looking to sell their gear at a big discount. There are a whole bunch of really good new and used packs that are a "happy medium" to be had between the $15 and $200 prices you mention.

:):):) Like the advice on the wt of fabrics and stitching. The quality of stitching of seams is overall much better with companies that pay strict attention to these types of quality details such as Patagonia, Arc Teryx, etc who partner with higher quality sewers out of Vietnam, Mexico, parts of Asia, and some other Central America countries. It's part of what one pays for not just the brand name.

turtle fast
09-02-2016, 18:49
I know many who hike with thrift store finds. Like others have said, check out the stitching and before a big hike TRY IT OUT at home around the neighborhood with some weight in it (books or a 12 pack works). At least you get a rough idea how it feels. It's surprising how many people I run into that did not try out an important piece of gear before a big hike. Like the couple who had no idea how to set us their tent, nor was it seam sealed. Went straight from the box to pack.

theory
03-06-2017, 23:54
Your pack is going to be your most important item besides your shelter. If you are going to invest any money into gear, I highly recommend getting a decent pack. I've looked at those $15 eBay backpacks and there is little to no padding on them. There is no support for the back at all unless you pack it right with a sleeping pad up against your back. You should invest at least $80-120 for a better pack. There are some lighter and cheaper packs out there but the volume is just too low for most people to carry all their gear in them. 3 pounds for a pack is on the higher side in my opinion. Put all your gear inside a plastic garbage bag and pack it down to size and then measure it and see what kind of pack it would likely all fit in. Finding out the liters you will need will narrow down what pack you will need and help you locate a decent price.

rafe
03-07-2017, 01:07
I did about 2/3 of the trail with a $45 Camp Trails pack. I can still hear it squeaking, occasionally, in my dreams.

Moosling
03-07-2017, 03:02
I've got a stansport willow supposed 75 L though I think it's more like 60 L weighs about 3lbs and its been serving me well for the last 3 years. Was a gift from my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H I T C H
03-08-2017, 10:12
" whatever gets you out on the trail "

^ THIS !!

Hitch

left52side
03-18-2017, 22:19
I am at the point in fast packing where I am in the sub 6 lb base weight and have been experimenting with inexpensive packs in the 30/40L range and plan to start making videos of the different packs and reviews and how they carry over A forty mile day and etc.
I have 5 packs ordered from ebay right now all they all range in the 12 to 14 oz range and are all 30/40L range,
I guess my point is that as mentioned I do not necessarily think you have to spend 200 plus dollars to achieve what you need to achieve as ,ong as the planning is correct and kit is fine tuned to what you need it to be,

George
03-19-2017, 07:57
if you really want to save money buy used, watch the for sale here, post a wanted to buy (include what you are willing to spend - many wanted to buy postings are more like "I basically want it for free")

Ground Control
03-19-2017, 09:51
Agreed that the pack isn't where you want to skimp. You can still use the cheapie, but probably keep the discounted quality pack on your immediate radar.

I just picked up a new daypack (REI Trail 40L) at REI's garage sale yesterday for $22. Normally retails for $109. Came with a free rain cover!

Many WB members use the Osprey Exos 58L. You could get one right now for under $150 if you needed one in a small size:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ebay+opsprey+exos&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#tbm=shop&q=osprey+exos+58+pack&*&spd=6285120502321994995

Or you could spend $175 to buy this one brand new, size M, off Ebay:
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Osprey-Exos-58-Backpack-Basalt-Black-Medium-Brand-New-NWT-/322453622200?hash=item4b13bbcdb8:g:IyYAAOSw4YdYycz l)http://www.ebay.com/itm/Osprey-Exos-58-Backpack-Basalt-Black-Medium-Brand-New-NWT-/322453622200?hash=item4b13bbcdb8:g:IyYAAOSw4YdYycz l

I waited and waited for the Osprey Exos in my size to get down to around $160. Regular google searches. I found it within 6 months. Love it!

Keep hiking with what you have and keep looking for the right pack at the right price.

zig-zag man
08-11-2017, 13:24

Just went to their site. Shows nothing in their bargain bin. Must have sold out.

JC13
08-11-2017, 13:34
Just went to their site. Shows nothing in their bargain bin. Must have sold out.I think I purchased one of the last 2014 Fusion 50's, I used it once on a 10-mile hike and now it lives in my gear closet...

zachzz12
08-11-2017, 14:23
zig zag man , check boreas buttermilks on sierra trading post.com

its a steal @ $70.00

Venchka
08-11-2017, 16:09
zig zag man , check boreas buttermilks on sierra trading post.com

its a steal @ $70.00

If it fits the same way as the Lost Coast I bought and returned in approximately 1 hour, $70 is a rip off.
Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DownEaster
08-11-2017, 21:44
I'm of the "discounted quality pack" mindset. I started out early this year with a list of three packs I considered serious contenders for next year's AT through-hike: the Gossamer Gear Mariposa ($260), ULA Circuit ($235) and Granite Gear Crown V.C. ($200). Immediately there was a discrepancy of $60 in list prices of packs I consider roughly equivalent. Then the Crown V.C. went on sale for $150 and I almost bought one, until I learned this sale was because the Crown 2 (pretty much a replacement for the Crown V.C.) was introduced at the same list price. The Crown 2 fixed the biggest drawback of the earlier pack by including hip belt pockets (also a removable lid standard rather than as an add-on). And it added something new and improved: an adjustable hip belt so I wouldn't need to order a smaller replacement (an extra $45 at Gossamer Gear) as I got skinny on the AT. As I see it, this pack is superior to all my initial "quality pack" options, and generally cheaper. When the Crown 2 went on sale for the first time I bit at $159.49 (no tax, free shipping).

Is this the best or cheapest backpack available? No on both counts. But it is new rather than used, fairly light (2 lbs. 2 oz. with the lid removed), and a good match for my needs. It's pretty much half the price of the Gossamer Gear pack ($305 with a second hip belt). And in comparison to a high-end specialty pack, here's what it would cost to have the same features as my Crown 2 in a ZPacks Arc Haul: $299 base price + $45 belt pouches + $10 ice axe loops + $10 roll-top closure straps + $10 v top strap + $15 lumbar pad + $45 spare belt + $10 shock cord lashing = $444: that's roughly 3X what I paid. (Plus ZPacks only makes their belt pouches in black, which is a stupid choice. Who wants their chocolate snacks melted in the sun?) The ZPacks configuration would be 6 oz. lighter for that $284.51 price difference. Of the included standard features of the Crown 2 pack, I'll be using all of them on the AT except for the ice axe loops. (And those may come in handy later on the PCT. :cool:)

If you can come up with a pack that satisfies your needs and is cheaper still, more power to you!