PDA

View Full Version : What you like or would like ...

hikehunter
08-29-2016, 22:40
Thinking of the AT between Clingman's Dome and Devils Fork Gap. Leaving Hot Springs, NC out of the picture, think on the following questions.

What were your re-supply options ? Could there have been something better ?

What about a place to take a nero or zero ?

Are there clean, hiker friendly, hiker affordable places to stay ?

Transportation ? (to get re-supply, etc.)

Would you want more choice at HWY 40 just after the GSMNP ?

Would you want more choice at the Old Asheville Hwy (MOM"S) ?

Both of the above or one over the other ?

MuddyWaters
08-30-2016, 04:35
Disregarding Hot Springs in that section is a bit of a stretch. Some hikers havent seen town in long time

saltysack
08-30-2016, 07:12
What's wrong with HS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
08-30-2016, 08:25
The OP isn't saying anything is wrong with HS as there obviously isn't. OP is wanting you to disregard HS as an option to think about what would your next best option be if it wasn't there. I40 is the first thing you hit out of GSMNP, and is 40 (+-) away from HS.

MOMS is a hole in the wall and about halfway between HS and devils fork...or Erwin I don't remember, anyway.

HS to Erwin is a solid 70 mile stretch (I was guessing 60). And I can see where it would be advantageous to have another resupply there at moms.

NOW as for i40, Standing bear is there, and has both a resupply room as well as a shuttle into town. So I see that as a less viable place givin the Geographic's of that exit, there just isn't really space for an establishment. It would be nice however if the Park service put some efforts on that side of the park

Puddlefish
08-30-2016, 11:16
Assuming you're thinking about going into business with some sort of hiker services.

Rte 40. For me, I'd just completed my longest mileage day ever to get to lower elevations and out of the snow. The little general store that you had to walk an extra mile to, held zero interest for me.

That leaves Standing Bear Farm as your main competition. I kind of loved it, kind of hated it. Was once well loved and had a lot of quirky features and details. My theory on hostels is that if the owner greets you, makes you feel welcome and gives off a vibe that they care for the place, then the hikers will respect that, and also care for the place...

Sadly, the main employee was some goofy kid, nice enough, but lazy, gave me only a partial tours of the place. The place was pretty much filthy. An aggressive cat was walking over the kitchen/food prep surfaces, the trash can was always overflowing, the shower was littered with trash. Half the hikers didn't clean up after themselves, they were noisy in the bunkhouse late at night, and just flicked on the overhead lights when they got settled in at midnight. There was a freaking rooster crowing through the night.

All it would take would be a single dedicated employee to lay down some expectations and the place would be ideal. I'd hate to compete against them in the area if they got their act together.

What mile marker is the Old Asheville Hwy at? I remember seeing MOMs off to the right one morning, but it was closed of course.

hikehunter
08-30-2016, 11:37
Thanks for the clairfication "Gambit" I am gathering opinions and facts about the area. I feel the options are limited in the two spaces on the east and west sides of Hot Springs. I really like HS. There are a few good eatin places there.

saltysack
08-30-2016, 11:49
The OP isn't saying anything is wrong with HS as there obviously isn't. OP is wanting you to disregard HS as an option to think about what would your next best option be if it wasn't there. I40 is the first thing you hit out of GSMNP, and is 40 (+-) away from HS.

MOMS is a hole in the wall and about halfway between HS and devils fork...or Erwin I don't remember, anyway.

HS to Erwin is a solid 70 mile stretch (I was guessing 60). And I can see where it would be advantageous to have another resupply there at moms.

NOW as for i40, Standing bear is there, and has both a resupply room as well as a shuttle into town. So I see that as a less viable place givin the Geographic's of that exit, there just isn't really space for an establishment. It would be nice however if the Park service put some efforts on that side of the park

Got it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk