PDA

View Full Version : Optimus Crux Stove

7ach
08-30-2016, 11:47
I'm shopping around for a lightweight canister stove and i am leaning towards the Optimus Crux Stove. Any one have experience with it?

7ach
08-30-2016, 11:48
Or do you know of something better I should consider?

HooKooDooKu
08-30-2016, 12:42
I've loved my SnowPeak LiteMax. It's one of the lightest canister stoves (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php/8153-What-is-the-lightest-canister-stove-and-pot-combination) available and folds up very small (https://www.rei.com/product/768603/snow-peak-litemax-stove) (check the image of the stove in someone's hand).

No experience with the Optimus. The only thing I've got to compare the LiteMax to is the Pocket Rocket.
When deployed, the Pocket Rocket and LiteMax are about the same size. But the Pocket Rocket leaves your pot sitting on three points, where as the LiteMax has flat arms for much more contact space (seems to make the pot a little more stable) and allows the use of skinner pots the Pocket Rocket might not hold very well.

Looking at manufacturer's specs, it looks like the Optimus can boil faster... but that appears to be due to the fact that the burner is much wider. I don't know for sure, but that sort of makes me think the Optimus could waste heat up the sides of a pot if it is paired with a particularly skinny pot.

SWODaddy
08-30-2016, 14:52
The Crux is my favorite canister stove. Very compact, great flame pattern, good heat adjustment.

7ach
08-30-2016, 20:43
I've loved my SnowPeak LiteMax. It's one of the lightest canister stoves (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php/8153-What-is-the-lightest-canister-stove-and-pot-combination) available and folds up very small (https://www.rei.com/product/768603/snow-peak-litemax-stove) (check the image of the stove in someone's hand).

No experience with the Optimus. The only thing I've got to compare the LiteMax to is the Pocket Rocket.
When deployed, the Pocket Rocket and LiteMax are about the same size. But the Pocket Rocket leaves your pot sitting on three points, where as the LiteMax has flat arms for much more contact space (seems to make the pot a little more stable) and allows the use of skinner pots the Pocket Rocket might not hold very well.

Looking at manufacturer's specs, it looks like the Optimus can boil faster... but that appears to be due to the fact that the burner is much wider. I don't know for sure, but that sort of makes me think the Optimus could waste heat up the sides of a pot if it is paired with a particularly skinny pot.

litemax was #2 on my list. Good point about smaller pots. I'll have to take that into consideration.

7ach
08-30-2016, 20:44
Any trouble with small/skinny pots? Whats the smallest you have gone?

7ach
08-30-2016, 20:46
The Crux is my favorite canister stove. Very compact, great flame pattern, good heat adjustment.

SWODaddy
08-30-2016, 21:32

The smallest I've used it with is my Primus Li Tech Kettle....~5in diameter. No issues.

ggreaves
08-30-2016, 22:48
I love the crux because it packs up into the dimple in the bottom of the canister, giving you room in the pot for other things. I normally use it with a Olicamp XTS pot or a MSR Titan kettle. I haven't used it on anything smaller. Are you thinking like a Fosters can or something? I have one. I could run a few boil tests tomorrow and see.

CarlZ993
08-30-2016, 23:03
No experience w/ the Optimus stove. My current go-to canister stove is the Soto Windmaster stove. It has a concave burner hear w/ a raised rim around the burner that helps shield the flame from the wind. It weighs 2.8 oz w/ the mini-stuff sack, stove, & removable pot support. The piezo igniter has worked perfectly for me every time.

They make a similar stove w/ the pot support permanently affixed to the stove - Amicus. Slightly heavier - 3.1 oz.

amk
08-30-2016, 23:12
The lightest and smallest option for today is titanium BRS-3000T stove from aliexpess or other Chinese suppliers. It is only 23 grams. And it is cheap too, only $11. Testdby many, it works. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BRS-3000T-Super-Lightweight-One-Piece-Titanium-Alloy-Outdoor-Burner-Camping-Gas-Stove-Factory-Wholesale/32409135166.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.77.byrHbR

capehiker
08-30-2016, 23:39
The Optimus is a solid stove. I saw more than I thought I would on the trail this summer (usually paired with the weekender HE pot). I like the way it nests under the canister. I have used this stove against my beloved Soto Windmaster and haven't seen any differences.

HooKooDooKu
08-31-2016, 01:44
The smallest I've used it with is my Primus Li Tech Kettle....~5in diameter. No issues.
I wouldn't expect any issues with a typical size pot... which I would label pots in the 4.5" to 5.5" in diameter.
But if you were using the SnowPeak Mini Silo or the SnowPeak 700ml cup where the diameter is closer to 4", that's where I'd start worrying about losing heat up the sides.
But the it still depends upon your planned usage. A weekend hike wouldn't mater how much heat you waste as you won't be able to burn all the way thru a 4oz canister in a weekend.

jefals
08-31-2016, 03:39
I've been using the optimus crux, but took a jetboil on my last hike. yes, it's a little heavier, but I'm not going back. I always felt like I had to really be careful so that nothing would tip over with the crux. the jetboil is more stable, easier and faster.

MuddyWaters
08-31-2016, 05:50
All depends on pot size.
But really, no reason for a small solo 2 cup pot to spend more than $15 on a 0.9 oz chinese brs3000

Secondmouse
08-31-2016, 11:27
nothing against the Optimus Crux but at around 3oz I wouldn't exactly call it a lightweight. if an ounce matters, check out the Snow Peak Litemax (or identical but cheaper Kovea Supalite) or one of the other recommendations..

LuckyMan
08-31-2016, 16:51
For thousands of miles I have used the Optimus Crux Lite with piezo lighter; it has always worked well for me.

7ach
08-31-2016, 19:24
I wouldn't expect any issues with a typical size pot... which I would label pots in the 4.5" to 5.5" in diameter.
But if you were using the SnowPeak Mini Silo or the SnowPeak 700ml cup where the diameter is closer to 4", that's where I'd start worrying about losing heat up the sides.
But the it still depends upon your planned usage. A weekend hike wouldn't mater how much heat you waste as you won't be able to burn all the way thru a 4oz canister in a weekend.

I mostly cook with a Evernew 1000ml pot but sometimes make coffee in a 450ml SnowPeak cup

7ach
08-31-2016, 19:27
The lightest and smallest option for today is titanium BRS-3000T stove from aliexpess or other Chinese suppliers. It is only 23 grams. And it is cheap too, only $11. Testdby many, it works. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BRS-3000T-Super-Lightweight-One-Piece-Titanium-Alloy-Outdoor-Burner-Camping-Gas-Stove-Factory-Wholesale/32409135166.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.77.byrHbR

Crazy cheap... for $11 ill try it regardless

Kaptainkriz
08-31-2016, 20:02
I have that stove and you need to be careful with heat exchanger pots and tip hazard. The tripod is tiny and works best with a flat bottom vessel. The OlicampXTS bearly fits on it...but does. :)
I like the stove a lot, but not for real cooking, the flame pattern is tiny and makes a hot spot.

capehiker
08-31-2016, 21:30

You can get it off Amazon and if you have Prime, two day shipping. I got mine for $12.50.

poolskaterx
09-01-2016, 00:27
I have used the Optimus crux with the weekender HE cook set that has the heat exchanger; it works very well and in fact in my experience can simmer foods and boil water faster than any jet boil-not that that is that big of a deal. I am currently looking to lighten up my cooking system as the stove is 3.05 oz, heat exchanger pot is 7.50oz and lid is 2.7oz. It does all fit together very nice, handles are solid and keep cool. Good system and has worked for me even up at 11,000ft and also in 15deg weather; it is not the lightest.

ScareBear
09-01-2016, 08:01
My Optimus Crux Lite has performed flawlessly for over 250 miles and 30 days of use. It is, like any other of this design, susceptible to wind. My Crux Lite does not have, nor do I want, the piezo igniter. Its about as small and light as you can go, for under 50 bucks. Very fuel efficient and has about a 4min/L boil time. I use it with the Optimus Terra Solo cook system and the canister and burner fit inside the pot. Optimus is quality engineered and quality manufactured. I give it 5 stars.

u.w.
09-01-2016, 09:28
I'm shopping around for a lightweight canister stove and i am leaning towards the Optimus Crux Stove. Any one have experience with it?

That crux & crux lite look an awful lot like the fire maple FMS-116 and FMS-116T stoves. Or maybe it's the other way around? Either way they resemble each other in appearance. Not so much in price though....
The stainless FMS-116 seems to be going for under $20 in a lot of places, and the titanium FMS-116T goes for less than $40 in a lot of places. The stainless 116 version seems to be the weight of the crux lite, though far less expensive, and the titanium version (116T) weighs in at 48g or 1.69oz - which is less than the crux or crux lite, while still being less expensive in the places I saw.
FWIW the 116T is/was also known as the Monatauk gnat, and Olicamp kinetic ultra titanium it would seem - though you'll pay more for either of the re-branded "brands" or stoves...

If you like the crux style, size, etc... perhaps give the FMS-116 or FMS-116T a look.
And if ya like the snowpeak litemax.... perhaps give the kovea supalite titanium a look...
Currently I think, the BRS-3000T is about as light as you can get for canister stoves and hard to beat for less than fifteen dollars most places. It does have a smaller flame pattern than the others listed though for sure, and is a bit louder.

u.w.

7ach
09-01-2016, 20:12
That crux & crux lite look an awful lot like the fire maple FMS-116 and FMS-116T stoves. Or maybe it's the other way around? Either way they resemble each other in appearance. Not so much in price though....
The stainless FMS-116 seems to be going for under $20 in a lot of places, and the titanium FMS-116T goes for less than $40 in a lot of places. The stainless 116 version seems to be the weight of the crux lite, though far less expensive, and the titanium version (116T) weighs in at 48g or 1.69oz - which is less than the crux or crux lite, while still being less expensive in the places I saw.
FWIW the 116T is/was also known as the Monatauk gnat, and Olicamp kinetic ultra titanium it would seem - though you'll pay more for either of the re-branded "brands" or stoves...

If you like the crux style, size, etc... perhaps give the FMS-116 or FMS-116T a look.
And if ya like the snowpeak litemax.... perhaps give the kovea supalite titanium a look...
Currently I think, the BRS-3000T is about as light as you can get for canister stoves and hard to beat for less than fifteen dollars most places. It does have a smaller flame pattern than the others listed though for sure, and is a bit louder.

u.w.

Dang, wish I saw your post a little earlier as I just ordered the crux....

7ach
09-09-2016, 19:17
Just got back from my week long backpacking trip in the sawtooth mountains. The stove worked ok... in the first 5 minutes or so the stove would go from full blast to off if I didn't adjust the flame up every 60 seconds or so. Not sure if I'll end up keeping it or not. I have 2 more small weekend trips planned for upstate NY this month. Ill see if it works better at the lower east coast elevations.

Rain Man
09-12-2016, 16:41

I've had one for two or three years and rarely use it as it's very unreliable. Won't hold a small flame at all (goes out). Won't hold a steady flame (need constant adjustment). Also, won't work with some gas canisters that other stoves work fine with. I just took it to Maine with me for two weeks. A mistake. Either wouldn't light at all or would flame up wildly. Partner and I swapped canisters and her Pocket Rocket worked fine on my canister, after my problems. I'm planning to mail it to the manufacturer and tell them it's defective.

I've loved my SnowPeak LiteMax.

I plan to buy one of these tonight at REI.

... in the first 5 minutes or so the stove would go from full blast to off if I didn't adjust the flame up every 60 seconds or so. ...

Sounds like mine. I got it because of the big head and wanting to simmer and cook on low with frying pan. Will NOT hold a simmer flame.

u.w.
09-16-2016, 22:10
Just got back from my week long backpacking trip in the sawtooth mountains. The stove worked ok... in the first 5 minutes or so the stove would go from full blast to off if I didn't adjust the flame up every 60 seconds or so. Not sure if I'll end up keeping it or not. I have 2 more small weekend trips planned for upstate NY this month. Ill see if it works better at the lower east coast elevations.

Interesting...

I've never used any of my stove at elevations higher than seven thousand feet. What I can say is I have used all the stoves I wrote of, plus add soto windmaster and jetboil micro mo (which I've got down to nine ounces).

I had no issues at all with the FMS-116T at all, but found that the windmaster (very similar burner head size) was actually a little faster while using the same or less fuel (isobutane). Both will boil or simmer just fine - in my experience. The FMS-116T is lighter, but not by much if you pull the piezo ignition off the windmaster... On my scale the FMS-116T weighs in at 1.5oz, and the piezo-less soto windmaster weighs in at 2.2oz - so a difference of 0.7oz .... for the better performance, I'll carry the windmaster at roughly a half ounce more weight.

I like the kovea supalite a lot, a whole lot, .... there's always a but right, lol
It weighs in at roughly 2oz - so same ball park area in regards to weight. I found it to be a little less efficient than the windmaster, but about on par with the 116T.
Now the "BUT", What I also found was that it had considerably more heat transfer back down to its base than the other two stoves did. As in the base of the stove where it screws onto/into the canister was Very hot to the touch, pretty much to the point of not being able to unscrew it with a bare hand. The windmaster & 116T do not do that at all. Their bases remain cool to the touch.
I figured that was probably not such a good trait for a stove that screw onto/into an IsoPro canister. Considering the canister contains flammable/explosive gas, under pressure. That's was the big "but"...
I will say that the soto windmaster stove has a regulator, whereas the 116T and litemax/supalite do not. That may make all the difference in the world at higher elevations???
The only - and I do mean the only thing - I'm not super crazy about on the 116T and windmaster (the windmaster being the preferred for me) is their size. They will fit in a toaks 750 ml ti cup (which I have) with a 100/110 gram fuel canister, and be able to put a lid on it all and into a sack. Everything in the cup, nice & neat, eazy-peazy.. I don't think they'll fit into a smaller ti cup though. That bigger burner head takes up some room. I'd love to get and use the 650 "ultra-light" toaks ti cup, but I do not believe it'll hold the stove(s) and fuel canister... so, a no go for me...

u.w.
09-16-2016, 22:56

Interesting...

I had similar issues with a FMS 300T "hornet". It was very squirrely, and had horrible heat transfer back down to the fuel canister. I donated it to the trash can. Oddly, I've never had any issues like that with a BRS stove - very similar in size and style.

I've never used any of my stoves at elevations higher than seven thousand feet. I have used all the stoves I wrote of, plus a soto windmaster and jetboil micro mo (which I've stripped down and mod'd of course).

I had no issues at all with the FMS-116T at all - great stove -, but found that the windmaster (very similar burner head size) was actually a little faster while using the same or less fuel (isopro). Both will boil or simmer just fine - in my experience.
The FMS-116T is lighter, but not by much if you pull the piezo ignition off the windmaster... On my scale the FMS-116T weighs in at 1.5oz, and the piezo-less soto windmaster weighs in at 2.2oz - so a difference of 0.7oz .... for the better performance, I'll carry the windmaster at roughly a half ounce more weight.

I like the kovea supalite a lot, BUT .... there's always a "but" right, lol
It weighs in at roughly 2oz - so same ball park area in regards to weight. I found it to be a little less efficient than the 116T, which is a little less efficient than the windmaster. I'd get roughly twelve-ish boils per canister with the supalite, roughly fourteen-ish with the 116T, and roughly sixteen-ish with the windmaster. All very non-scientific mind you. Outdoors, while hiking, on trail, mountain spring/stream water. A little kitchen counter testing thrown in there too, but mostly on trail...
Now the "BUT" for the supalite,
What I also found was that it had considerably more heat transfer back down to its base than the other two stoves did. As in the base of the stove where it screws onto/into the canister was Very Hot to the touch, pretty much to the point of not being able to unscrew it, or hold it, with a bare hand. The windmaster & 116T do not do that at all. Their bases remain cool to the touch.
I figured that was probably not such a good trait for a stove that screws onto/into an IsoPro canister. Considering the canister contains flammable/explosive gas, under pressure... would a manufacturer sell a product that was dangerous??? Either way, it was enough for me to not use it for the reason mentioned. Though I do like it's size/weight.

The soto windmaster stove has a regulator, whereas the 116T, litemax/supalite, etc.. do not. That may make all the difference in the world at higher elevations???
Some of the new jetboil systems have a regulator too.
The windmaster and 116T (the windmaster being the preferred for me) will fit in a toaks 750 ml ti cup with a 100/110 gram fuel canister, and be able to put a lid on it, and into a sack. I don't think they'll fit into a smaller cup though. That burner head takes up some room..

What the...??... I thought we were supposed to be able to edit????? what gives????

somehow the dang post used an auto saved version - NOT - what my "final draft" was... not at all what I meant to post... not cool... and NO option to edit what I wanted it to say?? not even a pico second of time to edit a glitch?
wow...really not cool... what I meant/wanted to post, is what's quoted above. And I keep getting booted/logged off while I'm trying to post..?...

u.w.

Rain Man
09-17-2016, 09:11
What the...??... I thought we were supposed to be able to edit????? what gives????

... not even a pico second of time to edit a glitch?
wow...really not cool...

What is "not cool" is not donating. Donating members have edit privileges. That's perfectly fair. For Pete's sake, it's only ten bucks!

u.w.
09-17-2016, 18:05
What is "not cool" is not donating. Donating members have edit privileges. That's perfectly fair. For Pete's sake, it's only ten bucks!
Rain Man,
Did it make you feel better? or superior? for having posted that? 'Cause it kind of comes across that way.

Though you and I have different outlooks and/or approaches to a multitude (maybe even the majority) of things, I have, and do respect your thoughts, opinions, and posts. In my humble opinion, there is always time and room for respect. Of course, it's quite easy enough not to [be respectful] - but is not necessarily better, or right... again, in my humble opinion.
I would have thought you and I might have been of like mind on that...

I am/was under the impression that there is/was some kind of "window" [time frame] for registered users to be able to edit their post. For example if there was a "glitch" that caused something they were writing to be posted, when they didn't want it posted yet. I thought I had read that, here on this forum... In fact, I have been able to edit a post I made here on this forum - Once -
At least in this case - that is not the case, good,bad,or otherwise...

I am aware that paid, or donating, members have that "privilege" Rain Man. I don't know that I necessarily agree that being a donating member would make you cool though... It seems easy enough to infer that you feel it does make you cool, and conversely non-donating members (registered users), me in this case - not cool. Got it. Thank you for sharing that Rain Man, I respect your thoughts on the matter.

For what it's worth, though now it is unfortunately a huge mess - for which I apologize -, post #28 could be deleted. In fact, if someone is able, please delete post #28. If I could fix it all, I would.
It is not what I had saved as I collected my thoughts and wrote, and certainly not what I wanted posted. It was what I started with, and what was auto-saved by the forum, at one of it's auto save intervals. The whole logged off (not done by me, so perhaps "booted off" or "auto-logged off"), paste what "I" saved - Not what the forum auto saved - logging back in, etc... got majorly jumbled up, and what I didn't want posted - got posted.

The whole thing wasn't a super great experience. Phrased by me as "not cool", last night. Perhaps I should've chosen a better way to say it? Perhaps not? Perhaps said nothing at all? I was trying to add pertinent, and hopefully useful information to the thread.

Either way, the fact is post #28 isn't what I saved, wanted, or intended to post. What is in quotes in post #29 is. One is more a collection of thoughts and rough draft, and the other more the final draft...

I may well become a donating member Rain Man, but that definitely wouldn't have anything whatsoever to do with editing a post... Or thinking I am cool, not cool, having others think I am, or am not cool, or thinking others are, or are not cool...
It would have to do with "giving back" to a forum, where I have learned helpful, and new to me "stuff" from various folks - both donating members and registered users.

Hopefully I've also helped some folks out in the short time I've been a registered user. I do try to when I see an opportunity to do so. I'm happy to let others be the judge of that of course... The post(s) on stoves alone would hopefully save people, many dollars, and time/effort. That's what my intent was.

In the mean time, it's easy enough for me to compose my post (thoughts) on a word doc, word pad, pages, Kword, OOWriter, LibreOffice Writer, etc.. and then paste/post'em up here once done/ready.
I should've done that last night.
I did do that with this one. Interestingly, I was ?auto? logged off numerous times while typing this reply, before I composed it elsewhere. Much easier, AND I can edit when I do it that way... I wonder if being a donating member would keep me from being logged-off while composing posts? I couldn't say for sure obviously, but I'm thinking it wouldn't.

And now back to stoves -
Among them the Optimus Crux. Arguably a good stove. Obviously some say differently. What it is not is: Not the smallest, not the lightest, and not the least expensive. Possibly also not the most efficient.

And if you get/got a LiteMax, do check it for heat transfer back down to it's base, and the canister. The SupaLite (same as a LiteMax but no cut-outs[so 6 grams heavier], and about half the cost) I had, did have a lot of heat transfer back down to the canister it was screwed on/in to. Also - for me - the 116T was better/more efficient than the LiteMax. Not to mention lighter, and less expensive... It did (does) take up a little more room in a pot/cup though.
Interestingly - on paper - the LiteMax is more powerful, listed at 11,200 BTU or 3,282Watts compared to the FMS116T which lists at 9,622 BTU or 2,820Watts.

u.w.

Deacon
09-19-2016, 07:57
U.w., to be a member of this site, you need a little thicker skin to survive.

Farr Away
09-19-2016, 15:45

Interestingly, I was ?auto? logged off numerous times while typing this reply, before I composed it elsewhere. Much easier, AND I can edit when I do it that way... I wonder if being a donating member would keep me from being logged-off while composing posts? I couldn't say for sure obviously, but I'm thinking it wouldn't.

u.w.

Near where you type in your login and password, there is a box that says something like "keep me logged in". If you check that box, you won't be auto-logged off.

-FA