PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in June

Almost There
01-09-2006, 23:48
Question for some thru hikers or sectioners with large miles under their belt. I am going to be hiking the month of June, not sure where yet, could be Maine with a SOBO buddy, or could be on my own if his finances don't come together. The question is, if you had the month of June to hike, where would you hike on the AT. I more or less am looking for a starting point, doesn't matter to me if I go SOBO or NOBO, but I'm just trying to gauge weather, etc. and what would be the ideal June hike, knowing of course heat, rain and bugs can all be a part of what we like to call "vacation time". I have a couple ideas, but I just want some input from some of the more esteemed hiker trash out there other than myself. Thanks, Guys!!!:clap BTW I don't want to hike in either NC or Georgia, already finished GA, and NC is for weekend and short section hikes due to the proximity to my house.

Alligator
01-10-2006, 00:00
Do you wish to complete the trail by section hiking? Then anyplace is good. If you crave the social interaction of the trail, insert yourself into the pack. Otherwise, avoid it.

Almost There
01-10-2006, 00:08
Yep, I'm currently section hiking, might join the pack, I am a social hiker, as I have learned so I know most will be northern Virginia by that time, just curious if anyone thinks there are better places to section on the trail at that time. I don't really want to be with the big crowd anyways, but a few people at night to share the fire so to speak is always a good thing to me.

Alligator
01-10-2006, 01:06
I don't think I would hike in June through Maine though on second thought. The blackflies are in full force.

Almost There
01-10-2006, 09:49
That is why I am asking your guys opinion, I coach football so if my buddy starts SOBO in July I may not be able to hike with him, which leaves me June to hike, I would prefer to avoid the blackflies if possible.

Kerosene
01-10-2006, 13:01
I did slackpacking on the New York State portion in June and had lovely weather. I'd think that anywhere from Duncannon, Pennsylvania north into Vermont would be nice that time of year.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2006, 13:04
Harpers Ferry NOBO.

Red Hat
01-10-2006, 13:14
Last year I met some friends just south of Waynesboro and hiked north through the Shenandoahs to Harper's Ferry. Great hike! Arrived in Harper's Ferry on June 21 (hike naked day)... I didn't

Almost There
01-10-2006, 14:19
I was thinking NOBO from Harpers or starting somewhere in Va and hike towards Harpers. Although hiking north from Duncannon is an idea.

Jack Tarlin
01-10-2006, 14:26
If possible, I'd save the area north of Harpers for a cooler month than June.

If I were to hike for the entire month of June, I'd start in Erwin, TN, which would give you the opportunity to enjoy the Roan Highlands area during late spring and wildflower season; it's also a great time to do Southwest and Central Virginia.

Lilred
01-10-2006, 21:06
If possible, I'd save the area north of Harpers for a cooler month than June.

If I were to hike for the entire month of June, I'd start in Erwin, TN, which would give you the opportunity to enjoy the Roan Highlands area during late spring and wildflower season; it's also a great time to do Southwest and Central Virginia.

Hey, that's great to know. I'm planning on starting in Erwin and hiking north for the month of June. Being a teacher does have its advantages. :banana

eightiesguy
01-10-2006, 22:38
Yes, tis nice to be a teacher.... I'm spending a week in June hiking the Georgia Section with a couple friends.