PDA

View Full Version : No Water at Amicalola this weekend

Lnj
08-31-2016, 14:04
I'm doing the approach trail and however far we can get on the AT by Monday afternoon, with my daughter this weekend. We are set to arrive at the visitor center at 9am Saturday. I called the visitor center and they said the approach trail is totally dry right now. We will have to carry water for 3 days. The weather looks nice, low 80s to high 50s.

About how much water should we each carry, assuming there will be not a drop gained from start to finish? My knee-jerk thought would be about 2liters per day, but man.... We'll end up carrying 80# packs if we do that and I'm not sure either one of us is up to that. This will be my daughter's first time out overnight and she is 17.

Please advise...:-?

Uncle Joe
08-31-2016, 14:29
It's not going to take you 3 days to do the Approach. The Approach is about 8.8mi. Someone can chime in on whether there is actually water available or not but I doubt it's totally dry all the way to Springer. But once you cross the road at the Springer parking lot you start heading towards Three Forks and you'll have Stover Creek as a source before you even get there. So about 12mi into your hike you should have plenty of water.

Hotgin
08-31-2016, 14:39
I just left springer Friday and there was water available by the shelter

Lnj
08-31-2016, 14:44
It's not going to take you 3 days to do the Approach. The Approach is about 8.8mi. Someone can chime in on whether there is actually water available or not but I doubt it's totally dry all the way to Springer. But once you cross the road at the Springer parking lot you start heading towards Three Forks and you'll have Stover Creek as a source before you even get there. So about 12mi into your hike you should have plenty of water.

LOL!!! Bless your heart... you don't know me... yes, it may very well take me 3 days to get to Springer. I am fat and ridiculously slow. Plus, I will have a first timer with me and I promised not to try to kill her. So we are going to just poke along and smell the flowers and giggle and joke and play and walk and talk and eat and fiddle fart along until we get tired and spot a campsite. This is not an official start to an AT section hike. This is a mommy/daughter weekend fun introduction hike.

But thank you for enlightening me that on the last day I will reach water. I truly hope there is a spring or creek or something somewhere sooner though. I just don't relish carrying 2+ days of water from the start. I'd still like to know a good rule of thumb for how much to carry per day, assuming there is none elsewhere along the way.

zachzz12
08-31-2016, 14:50
the hike inn trail had 3 flowing creeks before reaching the hike inn(5.5 miles) on Thursday afternoon last week. ...
we were advised to take the hike inn trail due to the approach trail being dry.
the springer mountain shelter has water and stove creek after that

i cant vouch for the approach trail but the hike inn had plenty of water. It is a beautiful time to hike have fun! ( not nearly as hot as expected, we didn't have any rain either contrary to other posts).

Hawk mountain shelter was a great stay, and then leave the trail at hightower gap , could work for you

Have a great time, it was our first time out there, loved it

HYOH

FreeGoldRush
08-31-2016, 14:55
This may be a good time to ask: Is there even a slight chance of not finding water between Woody Gap and the tenting areas at Lance Creek? Apparently there are four tent pads there. If they are taken can I assume there is more room there for tenting?

By the way, two liters of water per day would never be enough for me in hot weather. I can't imagine having to carry three days of water. That's rather extreme.

And finally, I assume you can camp anywhere on the Georgia section of the trail without a permit. Is this correct?

daddytwosticks
08-31-2016, 15:53
On a hot and humid summer day, I can drink two liters of water easy before lunchtime while hiking. :)

Uncle Joe
08-31-2016, 15:55
This may be a good time to ask: Is there even a slight chance of not finding water between Woody Gap and the tenting areas at Lance Creek? Apparently there are four tent pads there. If they are taken can I assume there is more room there for tenting?

By the way, two liters of water per day would never be enough for me in hot weather. I can't imagine having to carry three days of water. That's rather extreme.

And finally, I assume you can camp anywhere on the Georgia section of the trail without a permit. Is this correct?

No permits needed.

The guide book shows 2 springs between Woody and Lance Creek so there's a chance they could be dry. That said, you shouldn't run out of water in 4mi and I'd imaging Lance Creek should be flowing but I haven't been up there in some time and can't remember how big it was.

MuddyWaters
08-31-2016, 15:58
I

About how much water should we each carry, assuming there will be not a drop gained from start to finish? My knee-jerk thought would be about 2liters per day, but man.... We'll end up carrying 80# packs if we do that and I'm not sure either one of us is up to that. Please advise...:-?

Perhaps u meant 2 gallons/day?

Just for future reference, you would plan 4-5 L per day in moderate conditions. In very hot.....maybe 6-8 or more. To reduce this you resort to hiking at night in hot dry conditions.

So going 2 days without a drop of water really isn't a good plan.

Lnj
08-31-2016, 16:00
On a hot and humid summer day, I can drink two liters of water easy before lunchtime while hiking. :)

So a gallon a day then? Yep, it'll be an 80lb pack. Does anyone know of an alternative? We really want to do this trail. Maybe going comically slow will help with less of a need for water, as we shouldn't get quite so hot and sweaty as we would if we were really moving.

Lnj
08-31-2016, 16:06
Perhaps u meant 2 gallons/day?

Just for future reference, you would plan 4-5 L per day in moderate conditions. In very hot.....maybe 6-8 or more. To reduce this you resort to hiking at night in hot dry conditions.

So going 2 days without a drop of water really isn't a good plan.

Oh no... going an hour even without water was never part of the plan!!! Just trying to figure out how much to carry in from home, with the assumption that we can't camel up along the way to Springer. I know there will be water after the Springer summit, but we could feasibly hike 4 or 5 miles on Saturday and camp, then it would be Sunday afternoon before we reach Springer, so I would need to carry water for 2 days from the start.... which would be 8 liters at least....

Oh well... it's fine. We are both vampire slayers so... we can take it. She may never want to hike again but... we will survive. :)

Hikingjim
08-31-2016, 16:15
Oh no... going an hour even without water was never part of the plan!!! Just trying to figure out how much to carry in from home, with the assumption that we can't camel up along the way to Springer. I know there will be water after the Springer summit, but we could feasibly hike 4 or 5 miles on Saturday and camp, then it would be Sunday afternoon before we reach Springer, so I would need to carry water for 2 days from the start.... which would be 8 liters at least....

Oh well... it's fine. We are both vampire slayers so... we can take it. She may never want to hike again but... we will survive. :)

Can't comment on the water situation, but if there really won't be any water, I would bring 5L per person for that stretch and get to springer in 2 days.
drink 1L before you leave
2 L while hiking your first 4-5 mile
1 L each for saturday night cooking and drinking
2 L for your hike sunday.
drink more at springer.

zachzz12
08-31-2016, 16:16
hike inn trail has water and you wont have to worry about it, they start at same point and meet up after 6 miles

Hikingjim
08-31-2016, 16:17

Also, to keep your pack weight down, eat a lot for breakfast before you go and you won't need that much food for the 1.5-2 days

Uncle Joe
08-31-2016, 16:17
Another thought since you're local, drive up Nimblewill Gap Road and stash some water where the AT crosses. Then you know you have some there.

Lnj
08-31-2016, 16:24
Another thought since you're local, drive up Nimblewill Gap Road and stash some water where the AT crosses. Then you know you have some there.

Now THATS what I am talking about!!!! Excellent Idea!!! THANK YOU!! I hadn't even thought if that. That exactly what I will do!

JC13
08-31-2016, 16:25
I was carrying 4 litres in July and was averaging 8 litres a day. Wife had 3 litres in her bladder and was probably going through 6.

Lnj
08-31-2016, 16:29
Also, to keep your pack weight down, eat a lot for breakfast before you go and you won't need that much food for the 1.5-2 days

That is true. We will be eating a good breakfast at the Maple Restaurant at Amicalola before we get started so, that should hold us for a good while.

maptester
08-31-2016, 16:32
Last I read was Woody Gap was dry--3.2 mile to Lance Creek, should be flowing--and plenty of space pass the 4 pads (I tented on the top pad with a huge thunderstorm during the night--lots of water then :-) ). Also, no permits needed in GA. Happy trails.

Hotgin
08-31-2016, 17:24
I just left Unicoi gap this morning .... The driest patch was about an 8 mile stretch out of Neels Gap....I carried 4 liters and never ran out between water spots from Amicalola to Unicoi... Ron Brown has been hustling to put water out along the trail at various gaps... He keeps his Facebook updated with the latest Intel from hikers... Hope this helps

Lnj
08-31-2016, 17:33
I just left Unicoi gap this morning .... The driest patch was about an 8 mile stretch out of Neels Gap....I carried 4 liters and never ran out between water spots from Amicalola to Unicoi... Ron Brown has been hustling to put water out along the trail at various gaps... He keeps his Facebook updated with the latest Intel from hikers... Hope this helps

It does. Thanks.

Runsalone
08-31-2016, 20:39
I just hiked a 10ish mile loop of the approach trail - hike inn trail today. I carried 2 liters to start and drank the last of it at the hike inn during lunchbreak at the overlook. around 6 miles. The hike inn trail does have plenty of water, and is a much easier grade than the approach trail at least up to the inn. Then steadily uphill around the north side of frosty.

I was on Springer on Sunday and guys were having trouble finding water at the shelter, although I didn't go looking myself FWIW. Stover creek was flowing and cold-delicious.

How far do you think you guys can reasonably hike before the "fun factor" starts to wither? You could go in the hike inn trail, camel and water up heavy at the last creek crossing and dry camp somewhere on the approach a mile further. then make it to springer the next day, if water isnt at the shelter hoof it 2.7 more to stover creek? 6.5-ish first day. 6-ish to stover creek shelter 2nd?

Whatever you decide have a great time ad stay safe!!

Uncle Joe
08-31-2016, 21:41
Now THATS what I am talking about!!!! Excellent Idea!!! THANK YOU!! I hadn't even thought if that. That exactly what I will do!

Thinking of the same tactic for the Duncan Ridge Trail when it gets colder. It's notoriously dry but drops out on the Duncan Ridge Forest Road at least twice.

saltysack
09-01-2016, 07:15
Why not do another close by section that's not all up hill and has better views with water? Can't imagine hauling several gallons of water......doesn't sound fun....the Approach isn't even the "AT". Either way have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Joe
09-01-2016, 09:56
Never done the approach. Since I'm thinking of hiking this weekend maybe I'll hit the same stretch!

Dogwood
09-01-2016, 14:37
Yup, there are better alternatives to hauling 3 days water on the Approach tr. Agreed three days to go nine miles during 12 hrs or so daylight EACH day seems excessively slow, even for one on crutches. Cache, get H2O from AF Visitors Center, get water form the top of the falls(never have seen them totally dry), Len Foote Inn next(that gets ya about 3.? miles in on the Approach trail already), caches, etc.

Dogwood
09-01-2016, 14:40
Why not do another close by section that's not all up hill and has better views with water? Can't imagine hauling several gallons of water......doesn't sound fun....the Approach isn't even the "AT". Either way have fun

IMO, one of the biggest highlights of the Approach Tr is Amicalola Falls. If they aren't running consider another hike as Saltysack said for the reasons he said.

Lnj
09-01-2016, 14:50
I really wanted to start the true "AT" with my husband who is about of commission for a bit. Also, I've seen or been to "The Falls" so I wanted to see that as well, in addition to wanting to do a pretty short distance with an easy off, made the approach trail make more sense to me. It is insanely slow, and we may do a little better than that, but I am just not putting an importance on time on this at all. No stress whatsoever. Just very low key and fun. It's an introduction to backpacking for my daughter so I want to make as easy and fun for her as possible. I imagine we may be able to pull off maybe 5 mile days without much stress, so we could feasibly make it to Three Forks by Monday, but I am not committed to anything in particular. That's what makes it so fun for me. Its a do as you please trip and I am very excited about that.

Dogwood, I will do what you suggest, Cache at Nimblewill, Get water from the top of the falls, then dry camp. I'm just not taking that much water from the start. Maybe each of us will take 4 - 20oz. bottles, just shy of 3 liters and use it sparingly. We will be eating a big breakfast at the top of the falls too, at the Maple Restaurant, so we shouldn't be thirsty or hungry for a little bit afterwards.

Lnj
09-01-2016, 14:55

Just really wanted to see Amicalola. Never been there and want to save the true "AT" for when my husband and I can do it together. I will not be hauling several gallons of water. In this thread, thanks to my WB buddies, we have found a way or two around that. Trust me, we will have fun. My daughter and I have a good time going to the grocery store together so, it will be fun. The water situation is another reason I don't want to push too hard either. I just want us to mosey, and talk and laugh and cut up and be stupid and have fun. Less pushing means less water required.

JC13
09-01-2016, 15:34
Sounds like you have a good plan, may I suggest one thing. Electrolytes.

Lnj
09-01-2016, 15:40
Sounds like you have a good plan, may I suggest one thing. Electrolytes.

Thanks. Yes of course. Half the water bottles start out as Gatorade bottles ;). Plus snack bars with added salt and potassium. We'll be covered.

Dogwood
09-01-2016, 18:14
I really wanted to start the true "AT" with my husband who is about of commission for a bit. Also, I've seen or been to "The Falls" so I wanted to see that as well, in addition to wanting to do a pretty short distance with an easy off, made the approach trail make more sense to me. It is insanely slow, and we may do a little better than that, but I am just not putting an importance on time on this at all. No stress whatsoever. Just very low key and fun. It's an introduction to backpacking for my daughter so I want to make as easy and fun for her as possible. I imagine we may be able to pull off maybe 5 mile days without much stress, so we could feasibly make it to Three Forks by Monday, but I am not committed to anything in particular. That's what makes it so fun for me. Its a do as you please trip and I am very excited about that.

Dogwood, I will do what you suggest, Cache at Nimblewill, Get water from the top of the falls, then dry camp. I'm just not taking that much water from the start. Maybe each of us will take 4 - 20oz. bottles, just shy of 3 liters and use it sparingly. We will be eating a big breakfast at the top of the falls too, at the Maple Restaurant, so we shouldn't be thirsty or hungry for a little bit afterwards.

Yeah, you don't want to be hauling 3 days H2O up the MANY steps to the top of the falls or at the top that may wind up being your day's total mileage. ;):D:p Might want to also solicit Approach Tr water availability DIRECTLY from those who have hiked the Approach Tr nearest your Approach Tr hike date.

Lnj
09-01-2016, 18:21
Yeah, you don't want to be hauling 3 days H2O up the MANY steps to the top of the falls or at the top that may wind up being your day's total mileage. ;):D:p Might want to also solicit Approach Tr water availability DIRECTLY from those who have hiked the Approach Tr nearest your Approach Tr hike date.

I will be doing that. With the storms coming in, I am hoping there will be some rejuvenation of some of the dry spots. My hike date is in 2 days so I'm pretty close now. Maybe Friday's rains will make a difference. I will also be calling back to the visitor center Saturday morning in route, to see what the status is again. Not sure how to solicit directly, as I don't know who has hiked the approach most recently unless I ask the whole world first. I have had a few replies from people who were just there.

Uncle Joe
09-01-2016, 18:29
My plans are up in there but if I can get out to Nimblewill and stash I just might. So when you get to the airplane crash memorial look around for a sign.

Lnj
09-01-2016, 18:32
My plans are up in there but if I can get out to Nimblewill and stash I just might. So when you get to the airplane crash memorial look around for a sign.

I will do that. Thanks and have a great hike!

Uncle Joe
09-03-2016, 07:48
Well, I'll be on the approach after all. My future son-in-law wants to hike with me this weekend. Maybe we'll see you on the trail!

Uncle Joe
09-04-2016, 18:41
Well, my first time on the Approach Trail. It can be my last. Tough trail! At least for me at this stage. I set some water out at Nimblewill Gap so I hope you got some, Lnj. Hiked up to Springer Shelter where we camped for the night. Lots of folks there. I can attest water is pretty scarce on that stretch. Recommendations to hit the Hike Inn are well warranted. I didn't check the Black Gap shelter water and only saw one other spring sign, I believe. Since we had stash we didn't stop.