PDA

View Full Version : Alternative hip belt

Huli
08-31-2016, 20:53
I have a Deuter Aircontact 65+10 pack and I love it. I do not love the hip belt and usually just don't use it. I would like to get some sort of alternatives along the lines of an ultralight pack. The interface on the pack is really large, sliding a different belt through so far has not worked out. The slot is about 6 inches tall with a single strip of the loop side of velcro in it.

Looking for suggestions on what I could use or a proven way to modify the existing belt.

Thanks!

DuneElliot
08-31-2016, 21:10
What problems, exactly, are you having with the hip belt?

I can't imagine carrying a 70+L pack without using the hip belt.

I had to modify the belt on my ZPacks Arc Haul since I am so skinny and small. Most people do great with just the additional lumbar pad but it wasn't enough for me. If you can explain what the problem is then there are also MYOG/home craft possibilities that might work or other standard solutions.

Dogwood
08-31-2016, 21:17
That is not an UL pack. That is not a pack one would typically carry an UL load. Suggesting an UL hip belt alternative is the answer probably is not your best approach. Perhaps a different pack is in order? This conventional pack with the wt and volume typically hauled one would likely need to have a hip belt that takes the wt.

Huli
08-31-2016, 21:18
The problem is that I don't have large enough hips for the belt to stay up without being so tight it causes pain. I do use the belt on longer trips, justice to deal with the pain until I eat/drink enough to loosen it.

Huli
08-31-2016, 21:20
What problems, exactly, are you having with the hip belt?

I can't imagine carrying a 70+L pack without using the hip belt.

I had to modify the belt on my ZPacks Arc Haul since I am so skinny and small. Most people do great with just the additional lumbar pad but it wasn't enough for me. If you can explain what the problem is then there are also MYOG/home craft possibilities that might work or other standard solutions.

What is this additional lumbar pad?

Huli
08-31-2016, 21:29
That is not an UL pack. That is not a pack one would typically carry an UL load. Suggesting an UL hip belt alternative is the answer probably is not your best approach. Perhaps a different pack is in order? This conventional pack with the wt and volume typically hauled one would likely need to have a hip belt that takes the wt.

I have a medical issue and have not yet identified an Ultralight pack that does not irritate it. My base pack weight is 17lbs with this pack.... 1.25 lbs is just the hip belt!

DuneElliot
08-31-2016, 21:40
There was another thread on here where someone was having the same problem with their hips not being able to hold the pack up and the hip belt slid down. They started wearing a lumbar/weight belt and then were adding some CCF to it to give them something extra for the pad to sit on and not slide down as well as some extra cushioning. It might be worth reading and contacting the other guy who is having issues with keeping his pack up. As a woman this is not an issue I have!!!

ZPacks offers an additional lumbar pad for their packs since it is technically an external frame pack and the lower bar of the frame sits right across the Iliac Crest. All it is is a piece of foam and mesh with attachment straps that fits on the belts of their packs at the back (not all the way around). You can find it on their website.

The modified lumbar pad I made was created out of Yoga mat foam, a wheelchair arm rest cover, velcro and some leather glue. It works great for me but I'm not sure how it would work in your situation. You can always try and would only be out a few bucks.

If the belt is removable then maybe try a belt from another company, if the attachment system is similar. ULA sells fairly comfortable, double-adjustment belts with two vertical strips of velcro to hold it in place that might work.

If modifying the belt yourself doesn't work then maybe a different pack is in order.

DuneElliot
08-31-2016, 21:42
I have a medical issue and have not yet identified an Ultralight pack that does not irritate it. My base pack weight is 17lbs with this pack.... 1.25 lbs is just the hip belt!

While I don't know your medical issue, and knowing what it irritates would be helpful, there are many UL packs that you can't try on because they are cottage industry made and not available in stores. Yes, buying one is a risk but they also generally have flawless return policies.

Huli
08-31-2016, 21:52
While I don't know your medical issue, and knowing what it irritates would be helpful, there are many UL packs that you can't try on because they are cottage industry made and not available in stores. Yes, buying one is a risk but they also generally have flawless return policies.

I have 11 screws and a plate in my collar bone.

Tried hyperlite pack, no good. Was thinking about asking them to make a pack using different suspension. Would not be returnable, don't want to be out that much cash.

Yes the belt is removable. I will look into ULA, thanks for the lead!

DuneElliot
08-31-2016, 22:06
I'm not sure how your collar bone relates in regards to hip belt issues. I wonder if you might be a good candidate for ZPacks. They are a little on the pricey side, but their suspension system is great for loads under 35lbs...and a great return policy. Just a thought!

Huli
08-31-2016, 22:25
I'm not sure how your collar bone relates in regards to hip belt issues. I wonder if you might be a good candidate for ZPacks. They are a little on the pricey side, but their suspension system is great for loads under 35lbs...and a great return policy. Just a thought!

Finding a pack with both shoulder pads and hip belt that work for me has proven problematic.

That being said, ULA has alternate straps that appear they may work. Going to entertain the idea of getting their circuit pack. Sent them an email, thank you for the lead!

DuneElliot
08-31-2016, 23:04
Finding a pack with both shoulder pads and hip belt that work for me has proven problematic.

That being said, ULA has alternate straps that appear they may work. Going to entertain the idea of getting their circuit pack. Sent them an email, thank you for the lead!

You're welcome. Let us know how it works out.

jjozgrunt
09-01-2016, 09:32
I've found the cinching system on the zpacks belts, fixes a lot of problems. Think about your hips they flare out from the top down, they DO NOT go straight up and down. Most packs use one or two straps a side but when you pull them tight they equalize and the padding is basically straight up and down. One point, usually towards the bottom is tight and the top is looser. With the zpacks they use two independant belts on each side, and you are actually able to get your hip belt to conform to your hips, and have equal pressure on your hip bones. This also helps avoid the belt slipping down. This has worked for me.

DuneElliot
09-01-2016, 09:49
I've found the cinching system on the zpacks belts, fixes a lot of problems. Think about your hips they flare out from the top down, they DO NOT go straight up and down. Most packs use one or two straps a side but when you pull them tight they equalize and the padding is basically straight up and down. One point, usually towards the bottom is tight and the top is looser. With the zpacks they use two independant belts on each side, and you are actually able to get your hip belt to conform to your hips, and have equal pressure on your hip bones. This also helps avoid the belt slipping down. This has worked for me.

I really like the system too. I find I don't have to tighten as much with the belt configuration. ULA has a similar set up, but it is not as good because the straps are not independent of each other.

Dogwood
09-01-2016, 14:23
The problem is that I don't have large enough hips for the belt to stay up without being so tight it causes pain. I do use the belt on longer trips, justice to deal with the pain until I eat/drink enough to loosen it.

If this is the case lightening your load which can begin with the pack itself should be explored. For example, you can still get that large a volume hauler without making such itsy bitsy wt saving feature sacrifices with a ULA Circuit or Catylyst. Advantage is you can try out customizing your hip belt with ULA usually happy to make exchanges and offering sound advice. ULA is not the only UL company offering a larger selection of pack options such as various hip belts either. Goss Gear, ZP, Granite Gear, SMD……

Huli
09-02-2016, 14:25
Thanks for all your input. Called over to ÜLA and spoke with Chris. They are making adjustments to their bag for me. I have a Circuit bag on the way!

DuneElliot
09-02-2016, 14:40
Let us know how the pack works for you...test it on an overnight with some weight so you can get a good idea how it works for you within their 30 day return window.

Huli
09-05-2016, 12:54
Pack should be here Thursday. Going to do the three ridges hike and mau-har trail as a test.

Huli
09-16-2016, 09:06
Loaded up with all my gear, for an idea of full weight and volume, and 3 days of food. Did a challenging 18 mile loop, pack was amazing! Would attach photos but tapatalk keeps crashing when I do.

DuneElliot
09-16-2016, 09:52
Glad you found something that worked for you. Pack fit makes such a difference. I couldn't get comfortable in a Circuit after my Arc Haul (which I LOVE), since they carry so differently, but it works and is so comfortable for 95% of people that do try it...glad you were one of them.

The worst thing about getting new gear at this time of year for me is that we are running out of good weather to backpack and go camping in...I don't do cold!!!

Huli
09-16-2016, 22:37
Glad you found something that worked for you. Pack fit makes such a difference. I couldn't get comfortable in a Circuit after my Arc Haul (which I LOVE), since they carry so differently, but it works and is so comfortable for 95% of people that do try it...glad you were one of them.

The worst thing about getting new gear at this time of year for me is that we are running out of good weather to backpack and go camping in...I don't do cold!!!

I was skeptical about getting that pack, thanks for the bit of courage. It paid off!

Traveler
09-18-2016, 07:52

Funny how we assess seasons. For me, we are coming out of the worst time of year (mid June/early July - early Sept) to be out and about.

egilbe
09-18-2016, 08:35
Funny how we assess seasons. For me, we are coming out of the worst time of year (mid June/early July - early Sept) to be out and about.

My thoughts, too :-) once it cools off, I'm good to go until December and take a break until Frbruary.

DuneElliot
09-18-2016, 09:54

My thoughts, too :-) once it cools off, I'm good to go until December and take a break until Frbruary.

I think it has a lot to do with location; our best season at 8-10,000ft is early July thru late September. Before that and there's too much snow, after and there are huge risks for snow storms and it remains below freezing most of the time.