PDA

View Full Version : General Info for Sam's Gap to Hot Spring's & Dennis Cove to Damascus

STICK
09-01-2016, 09:15
I have a 2 part trip coming up. I am planning to connect the dots between Hot Springs and Sam's Gap, and then push on from Dennis Cove to finally make it into VA!

A friend and I will be doing the hike's together, so we are planing to stage cars to save a little money on shuttles. First off, we are planning to drive into Hot Spring's the night before we begin our hike. I have stayed at Laughing Heart a few times (great place), and a couple of other places in Hot Springs, but it has been a while. I would like to simply pitch a tent (again, to save little money). Not worried about showers or anything. The next morning, we will be leaving one car behind in Hot Springs and then driving the other to Sam's Gap, at which point we will hike back SOBO. A few questions:

1. Any suggestions on camping in Hot Springs near the AT headed NOBO?
2. Suggestions on where to park the car in Hot Springs, closer to where the trail heads north the better so we hit the car sooner when hiking back into HS?
3. How "safe" is the parking at Sam's Gap? I know it's just a pull off under the interstate.
4. How are water sources along the trail between Hot Springs and Sam's Gap currently?
5. Any current bear activities worth noting in this section?

Once we hike back into Hot Springs, we will grab a bite, and then pick up the other vehicle at Sam's Gap, and then head to Damascus for the night. Then, the next morning drive to Bob People's place, and hike NOBO. Some more questions:

6. Suggestions on where to stay in Damascus? At this point, a shower would be welcome... Tenting vs bunk is debatable... shower is preferred!
7. Suggestions on where to park the car (again, the closer to where we will hike back into Damascus the better)?
8. Places to eat dinner and grab a cold beer in Damascus? (perhaps the most important question... lol!)
9. How is the water sources between Dennis Cove and Damascus currently?
10. Any current bear activity in this area? (IIRC, there was some activity last year near Watuga Lake Shelter...)

And as always, any other tidbit's of good-to-know info anyone would like to share for these area's is always welcome!

Thanks in advance!

la.lindsey
09-01-2016, 09:39
I've parked at Sam's gap a few times for sections and never had problems, but then, my old car was kind of crappy so I doubt anyone would have wanted it but the mice. The pull off was pretty decent, but don't trust your GPS. It's not intuitive to get to. I can look up the website that had a good description but I'm sure someone on here knows it well.

I ate at the "Irish" restaurant in Damascus and loved it. Bobo McFadden's. Didn't order beer though, so can't attest to that.

Camping on the NOBO side of HS- I remember seeing a bunch of people camped near the river, just north of the bridge. Don't know how safe/legal that is, but they did it in the daylight, so there you go.

I did this back in March, so can't attest to water or bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
09-01-2016, 09:51
1. Any suggestions on camping in Hot Springs near the AT headed NOBO?
Hot springs has a couple Hostels to choose from, I always chose Laughing heart and out of my 5-6 weekend stays there I would give it a double thumbs up all around. They have a huge yard for tenting, a bunk house and private rooms with AC as well. Prices range from$10 for tenting to $25 for a private room. From The river in HS up 8 miles to Tanyard there isn't a lot of nice tenting options.

Second option is there is a campground right on the river next to the French broad river bridge - I have never stayed there but drove thru it one time...looked loud and messy...

2. Suggestions on where to park the car in Hot Springs, closer to where the trail heads north the better so we hit the car sooner when hiking back into HS?
Laughing Heart is a great parking spot

Once we hike back into Hot Springs, we will grab a bite, and then pick up the other vehicle at Sam's Gap, and then head to Damascus for the night. Then, the next morning drive to Bob People's place, and hike NOBO. Some more questions:
In hot springs on north end of town is a pub called the ironhorse station, best burger and craft beer ive had on the trail, other than Magnolias up near front royal

7. Suggestions on where to park the car (again, the closer to where we will hike back into Damascus the better)?
Call sundog outfitter, they shuttle people and will be able to better tell ya where

8. Places to eat dinner and grab a cold beer in Damascus? (perhaps the most important question... lol!)
I walked through Damascus 2 years ago so I know small town business' come and go, I ate at a place called DOTS across from sundog, I believe they have closed down but if not, they have cold beer. upon finishing a trip in Damascus one time I ate at bbq joint on the trail, on the north end of town, long brown building, first thing you come to if I remember correctly, they had beer too. Lonewolf is on WB here, and lives in Damascus, might be able to better answer this.

10. Any current bear activity in this area? (IIRC, there was some activity last year near Watuga Lake Shelter...)
The lake always has problems so I would suggest bypassing that shelter, getting on up to or past vendeventer(spelling sucks) a fair warning that the water source at this shelter has a nasty little climb a far way down the hill for water, probably about .25 down the mountain.

Getty
09-01-2016, 09:58
Woodchuck Hostel is nice, Chuck is very friendly and has reasonable shuttle rates. Bobos' Restaurant is good and they have cold beer.

Getty
09-01-2016, 10:03
Watauga Lake shelter just North of Dennis Cove is currently closed due to Bear activity. We are hiking Dennis Cove to Damascus on 9/9..

STICK
09-01-2016, 10:47
@la.lindsey Yeah, we finished at Sam's Gap on the last hike and a friend picked us up. We simply met him up on the interstate to make it easier for him to get too... I have set the spot in the road on my GPS though, so it should take us to that spot pretty reliably... however, if you have a link to a site I would be happy to take a look at it... too much info never hurts! And I think I kind of know where you are talking about as for the camp site on the north side of the river... we will look into it. And thanks for the suggestion on the restaurant!

@Gambit McCrae Thanks for all the info! We have actually stayed at LH in the bunk room a few times, and my wife and I stayed at another hostel closer to the tracks another time. We stayed at the "resort" there one time as well... we have never camped there though... I wasn't aware of camping at LH, just never looked into it I guess. I will have to look into it. We will likely camp wherever we leave our car parked though and we have also left our cars at LH another time. We have also eaten at the Iron Horse, good restaurant. The Spring Creek Tavern is quite enjoyable as well. I go there every time I am in Hot Springs! And thanks for the info at the Watuga Lake... I was somewhat expecting that...

@Getty I did not know the shelter was actually closed! We were actually thinking about stopping in that area the first night... Thanks for the info! And I was looking at the Woodchuck hostel, and heard about Crazy Larry's. I am thinking I would be happy with a shower AND a bed, so may look into the bunkhouses... Thanks! And it looks like we will be in the area around the same time! Maybe we will run into each other!

hikehunter
09-01-2016, 12:15
Have Fun & Hike Safe (HFHS), Stick. I want to see a youtube vid post on this section. Think food/ re-supply options between Hot Springs and HWY 26. I think MOM'S at the old Asheville hwy is kinda limited.

STICK
09-01-2016, 13:27
@hikehunter Thanks, I plan on it! And I am going to try to get some video for a youtube vid, but not planning on doing as much as I usually do... Also, I don't have to worry about resupply since we are doing the 2 sections separate. We will leave the food for our second leg stored in one of the cars. The section from Hot Springs to Sam's Gap is a gap I need, and then I already have from there to Dennis Cove. Planing to finish up in VA and be totally done with GA, TN & NC!

STICK
09-01-2016, 17:47
Just wanted to add in here that it looks like Laughing Heart isn't allowing parking while gone. Although, they did mention that there is a place in town that allows it for free.

blue indian
09-01-2016, 18:07
Just wanted to add in here that it looks like Laughing Heart isn't allowing parking while gone. Although, they did mention that there is a place in town that allows it for free.

Yo Stick!

Laughing Heart let me park my car there for 2 weeks in May. I just walked in the front and asked nicely. I believe there is some kind of forest service parking lot within walking distance of the hostel though.

STICK
09-01-2016, 19:57
@bluedindian Actually, looking through the LH site, it looks like there may be a wedding there this weekend (if the site is up-to-date), so I guess they are wanting to make sure there is enough parking for that. And yes, directly behind the LH bunkhouse, maybe 100 feet at the most, is the trail and a parking area. Anyone can park in this area as well. There is another parking area near the railroad tracks which is free too... I vaguely remember it while walking through town...

saltysack
09-01-2016, 20:34

Free city parking behind the bbq joint...see dirt lot in middle pic.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160902/f01695b2718c0e78829ca4d52453e2aa.jpg

saltysack
09-01-2016, 20:38
Turn at the RR tracks...
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160902/b3b4dd6757382235d0128aa25509b8ee.jpg

STICK
09-01-2016, 20:43
@Saltysack Thanks for the confirmation! That is exactly what I was thinking. The photos were a great ideal. :)

And there's Spring Creek Tavern! Love that place... :)