PDA

View Full Version : Double Rainbow Questions

Bugman88
09-01-2016, 11:32
Hi All,

I own a double rainbow and have a couple questions for fellow tarptent users.

How long of a guyline do you cut for the porch?
When setting it up in the wind, do you want the side or the end of the tent facing into it?
What's the more important factor when setting up the tent, the slope of the ground or the direction of the wind?
Have you done any customization to your tent?

Thanks!

Franco
09-01-2016, 18:03
I don't own one but I was one of the first to use the Rainbow (the start of my TT addiction..) and have known the DR since it was just an idea.
1) 6', with a tautline hitch , so that it can be used on rocks and bushes if needed.
(BTW, 45 degree is a good angle with the stake at 45 degree the other way giving a 90 degree angle )
2) the low end, particularly when a pole/strut is there, works best in the wind.
3) wind direction but you can compromise a bit with the DR
4) did some with the Rainbow but they are part of the design now.

Bugman88
09-02-2016, 11:05
Thanks for the advice Franco! I think I've seen your replies on a variety of other DR forum posts around the internet, so thank you for chiming in on mine.

I have no history whatsoever with tying guylines onto a tent. All I've ever done is go exactly by the book using the hardware that comes with the shelter I've used. So, in looking at how to tie a guyline to a tent, I came across a video by Andrew Skurka, linked below. Would the 6' you suggest give enough length to do a trucker's hitch, or do you typically just tie a tautline hitch and tighten as much as possible? When you stake out the guyline, do you usually place it in the same spot every time or do you have other considerations (like porch height, the rockiness of the ground, etc) in mind when choosing a place to plant the stake? Thanks again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slOhlEmBwwY

Franco
09-02-2016, 18:48
Hi
Excellent video, I see that Andrew is also a fan of the long guyline.
The tautline hitch works for me on non slippery cordage like the type we use at TT but those two knots that Andrew Skurka shows in his clip can be used with any cordage and offer the advantage of increased tension.
Anyone that has used the trucker's hitch will know how effective that is.
I was not aware of the other version, must practice that today...
No I don't have the stake down in the exact position all the time. There is an ideal angle but you need to work with the ground you have . Better a "wrong" angle with a firm grip than a stake in the ideal spot but on loose soil.
Remember, when a stake pops out, don't blame the shelter.
Anyway, as for length, just practice with a piece of cheap cordage and see how it works for you.
Thanks for the link to that video, nice stuff.

MtDoraDave
09-03-2016, 14:29
Glad I watched the video. I needed to learn most of those knots. The slippery half hitch I already use - though I didn't know its name. :)

JumpMaster Blaster
09-03-2016, 22:55
I have a DR and here are my $0.02

How long of a guyline do you cut for the porch? Don't know, I just brought soem extra paracord, used my poles to raise it, and tied it off to a stake. Very little thought invoved.

When setting it up in the wind, do you want the side or the end of the tent facing into it? I want my feet facing into the wind to minimize the area of fabric exposed to the wind. However, if the gound is slightly sloped, I want my head elevated at all costs.
What's the more important factor when setting up the tent, the slope of the ground or the direction of the wind? Slope. Unless you plan on hiking in a tropical storm, you should be fine. I sopent two nights in gusty winds that felled trees nearby and my DR was fine for the most part.
Have you done any customization to your tent? I added some paracord to the inside to have a sort of "clothesline" for my wet stuff. I also painted some strips of silicone on the floor to keep me from slip, slidin' all over the tent (hasn't really worked).

Franco
09-03-2016, 23:45
I also painted some strips of silicone on the floor to keep me from slip, slidin' all over the tent (hasn't really worked).

Works better if you also (lightly) stripe your mat (crossway from the ones on the floor)