PDA

View Full Version : 6 feet under the AT?

RITBlake
01-10-2006, 05:43
I realize this is random, but I was wondering about this today in class and now I'm just curious...

How many people are buried on the AT? I remember just after upper goose pond cabin (just before for NOBO's) on the there was a headstone of someone who had been buried right there on the trail. (right near an old foundation/chimey) Is this the only one? The AT seemed to come across a lot memorial plaques as we got down in to NC and TENN but I never knew the whole story behind those. I'm talking right on the side of the trail, there would be a random memorial plauqe, 'in memory of bob'
Anybody know?

Something to think about I guess.

MisterSweetie
01-10-2006, 09:36
I remember just after upper goose pond cabin on the there was a headstone of someone who had been buried right there on the trail. The AT seemed to come across a lot memorial plaques as we got down in to NC and TENN but I never knew the whole story behind those. I'm talking right on the side of the trail, there would be a random memorial plauqe, 'in memory of bob'
Anybody know?Aren't most of the markers really old? Old enough that a more appropriate thing would be, instead of saying they were buried on the trail, that the trail was routed over their graves? If the second is the case, it's just a matter or routing that put them on the trail, and nothing mysterious.
Maybe not, I don't know. :)

TJ aka Teej
01-10-2006, 09:46
How many people are buried on the AT?

Not 'buried' but, Governor Baxter's ashes were spread across Baxter Peak.

icemanat95
01-10-2006, 09:47
There is probably a record at the ATC of any known graves that lay within the trail corridor boundaries...probably by law. However, there are probably many more unmarked and unrecorded graves along the corridor, particularly in the passes.

khaynie
01-10-2006, 09:48
23. I counted. BTW, what were you doing up so early...

Grampie
01-10-2006, 09:54
I realize this is random, but I was wondering about this today in class and now I'm just curious...

How many people are buried on the AT? I remember just after upper goose pond cabin (just before for NOBO's) on the there was a headstone of someone who had been buried right there on the trail. (right near an old foundation/chimey) Is this the only one? The AT seemed to come across a lot memorial plaques as we got down in to NC and TENN but I never knew the whole story behind those. I'm talking right on the side of the trail, there would be a random memorial plauqe, 'in memory of bob'
Anybody know?

Something to think about I guess.
The stone is not a grave stone. Years ago a cabin stood at that spot. The cabin belonged to an hunting and fishing club that owned most of the land around Upper Goose Pond. They later gave all that land to the state and is now owned by the NPS. The stone, with a plaque erected to commorate the orginization. Unfortunately someone has stolen the plaque

Almost There
01-10-2006, 10:00
Truth be told I am sure there are far more than 23. Of course, they're not marked, but consider "Slaughter Gap" in Georgia, or Blood Mountain for that matter. The truth is going back in the history of the lands surrounding the AT corridor there is actually a wealth of history and in turn this means a wealth of archaeological remains which then transcends to most likely human remains. It used to be that you could find all sorts of indian artifacts in and around Slaughter Gap. Now of course if we move north along the trail we come across other battlefields, etc. so it is very possible that there are indeed other unmarked graves. The ATC has made an effort not to publicize alot of the historical evidence along the trail due to a desire to limit the impact that would be brought about by those seeking to dig up and recover historical relics. If we don't talk about it then people don't know about it. I have often thought that when I do go for my masters that I may write my thesis on the history of the lands around the AT, in that way I might justify leave from my school district for "educational purposes".

Alligator
01-10-2006, 10:18
Jimmy Hoffa...ssshhh...

Footslogger
01-10-2006, 11:10
...another half hour or so of hypothermia and I might have been !!

'Slogger

RITBlake
01-10-2006, 11:17
23. I counted. BTW, what were you doing up so early...
Couldn't sleep! And yes, I'm still sleeping in my sleeping bag :rolleyes:

...another half hour or so of hypothermia and I might have been !!

me too! The suprise november blizzard in the Smokies almost took me down.

Rain Man
01-10-2006, 13:16
... The AT seemed to come across a lot memorial plaques as we got down in to NC and TENN but I never knew the whole story behind those. I'm talking right on the side of the trail, there would be a random memorial plauqe, 'in memory of bob' Anybody know?...

I'd recommend J. R. Tate's (Model-T) brand new book, "Walkin' With the Ghost Whisperers," which has a lot of histories behind several of those memorials.

Rain:sunMan

RITBlake
01-10-2006, 15:29
I'd recommend J. R. Tate's (Model-T) brand new book, "Walkin' With the Ghost Whisperers," which has a lot of histories behind several of those memorials.

Rain:sunMan

Thanks, I'll have to check out. I certainly enjoyed Model-T's previous book

Peaks
01-10-2006, 17:43
There are several small graveyards or stones along or near the AT.

I suspect that probably the place where the most died was at South Mountain in Maryland just before the Battle of Antietem.

MOWGLI
01-10-2006, 18:04
One of my fondest memories was spending perhaps 15 minutes in an old & overgrown graveyard somewhere along the trail under some tall shade trees. I just walked around reading the headstones. I think it was in the Cumberland Valley in PA, but the memories are starting to fade.

Lugnut
01-10-2006, 20:36
Don't know if it counts as being buried but there are many ashes spread along the trail. Some marked, most not. If you chose this method for yourself please leave instructions for your ashes to be spread at least 200 feet from any water source! :D
I'm claiming Wilburn Ridge for myself now. :bse

Youngblood
01-11-2006, 00:06
I saw this marker in August of 2002 about 10 feet off the peak of Tray Mountain in Georgia. Wasn't there the next time I looked for it and don't recall it being there on previous visits. Anyone know the story?

The Desperado
01-11-2006, 00:24
I am aware of one right at Springer that was only 20 or so years back, but in my home state of N J on SunRise Mt their have been many, many "ash burials" as they used to call them and it was very common in that area to just go up with friends & family "and do it". It is a state park and I am sure their are rules about that stuff, but the folks that are local thereabouts arent real "fond of the state & rules" of that sort......for better or worse.