PDA

View Full Version : New hiker friendly B&B near New England Trail

1azarus
09-02-2016, 16:19
Just thought i'd wake up this forum since I've become more interested in the NET lately. It actually runs through my littlish town of Wallingford CT, with the nearest trailhead 5 miles from my house. (drum roll) My wife and I just opened the Bell Tower B&B, find us on facebook or on airbnb. We'd like to encourage NET hiking, which is difficult because there are almost no allowed camping sites. We are trying to organize B&B's to shuttle and support the trail. ...so, hit me up if you want the special treatment deal with shuttles!!! Forgive me for the shameless self promotion.

jeffmeh
09-02-2016, 17:00
Best of luck with it!

TJ aka Teej
09-02-2016, 17:51
Good luck, 1azarus!

gsingjane
09-02-2016, 19:30
Hey, WELL done! Let's connect, we live right ON the NET in Guilford, and only about 1/3 of a mile from the Shoreline East station. I have offered before to shuttle folks to the terminus, or up the trail, so maybe we can get a little trail support thingie happening!

Jane

1azarus
09-02-2016, 20:05
Gsingjane you just got yourself an invitation to dinner!

coach lou
09-02-2016, 21:09
Is this the Mattabesett? I will google it!

Hi Laz & Jane!!!

LIhikers
09-03-2016, 21:50
Wow, Laz, Jane, and Lou in one thread, all people I've met in real life :)

coach lou
09-04-2016, 06:49
We hike to get out of here!!!!

Just Tom
09-04-2016, 15:52
I just picked up the NET trail map, a very timely posting! Good luck on the B&B!

gsingjane
09-04-2016, 17:38
Tom, I think you should be involved with this "NET tourism" effort too! You'd be great!

Jane

Teacher & Snacktime
09-04-2016, 23:00
Wow Laz, this is great news! I keep trying to plan hikes on the NET, but the lack of shelter or camping is a real obstacle. You'll be hearing from me next year! Congrats and good luck!

1azarus
09-05-2016, 11:50
great to see interest in the trail... I think I'm going to schedule a weekend "day hike the Wallingford NET section" with a barbecue at the Bell Tower B&B afterward to give our CT whiteblazers a chance to get together and talk about supporting the NET trail. will keep you all posted.

Teacher & Snacktime
09-05-2016, 12:13
That sounds really great, and I can assume it won't be during an ice storm so I should be able to make it :)

1azarus
09-05-2016, 14:30
Promote the New England Trail bbq

date set: October 15th (saturday), with a rain date of October 16th (sunday)

Meet at noon, and walk from the southernmost Wallingford trailhead at Howd Road, to a short side trail which comes out on Cliffside Drive -- the farthest north access point in Wallingford. Total distance around 7 miles. Nice views -- twice.

Then a late afternoon barbeque and brainstorming about the New England Trail at the Bell Tower B&B!!!

I will reach out to the Connecticut Forest & Park Association (they maintain the trail) and see if an authority figure from the Association wants to attend.

Please let me know/RSVP if you are interested. And anyone I know in Connecticut is strongly encouraged to come!

Teacher & Snacktime
09-05-2016, 15:13
Promote the New England Trail bbq

date set: October 15th (saturday), with a rain date of October 16th (sunday)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I'll be at Grayson Highlands on the 14th, and not back in New England until the 17th! :(

1azarus
09-06-2016, 10:00
just heard that the Connecticut Forest & Park Association Trails Stewardship Director will attend!

gsingjane
09-06-2016, 13:48
We will be there! Can't wait!

Jane

p.s. in the meantime... if you are walking the NET from the southern terminus and need assistance, or need a shuttle from the train station, PM me. Always glad to help!

1azarus
09-06-2016, 15:37
...Jane, you are right -- your train station is literally on the trail. perfect. and glad you and your son will make it.

Just Bill
09-07-2016, 14:00
:clap
Congrats! I hope it goes well for you and the missus.

Sarcasm the elf
09-07-2016, 14:14
Hey Laz, I remember you talking about this back in January, glad to hear that the project is complete!

Sarcasm the elf
09-07-2016, 14:15
:clap
Congrats! I hope it goes well for you and the missus.

Am I seeing things, or did Just Bill really post a one line response? :D

1azarus
09-07-2016, 15:01
nothing wrong with your vision. notice that he did use "missus." that colloquialism counts for at least two full paragraphs.

you, dear sir, better be attending the bbq.

Sarcasm the elf
09-07-2016, 15:28
nothing wrong with your vision. notice that he did use "missus." that colloquialism counts for at least two full paragraphs.

you, dear sir, better be attending the bbq.

I am unfortunately booked for the entire weekend, otherwise I'd be there.

(I assume you are talking about the fall work weekend bbq on Oct 15th, correct?)

Just Bill
09-08-2016, 09:52
Am I seeing things, or did Just Bill really post a one line response? :D

Man that's weird... I typed up a good couple paragraphs filled with rambling nonsense and at least one half decent joke.

Guess when I post in my editor's thread it is automatically edited down to an appropriate length post.

Even got one of them $10 conneticut yankee words like colloquialism tossed in thar fer good measure. Not sure what that means exactly but seems like something I'd like to try with a yoga instructor if'n my back would hold out fer the duration.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-29-2016, 10:11
So how did the hike and BBQ go?

tiptoe
10-29-2016, 10:36
Wow, sorry I missed the gathering. I was hiking the AT in southern Maine most of September and didn't see this thread. The NET is definitely on my "explore soon" list.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-29-2016, 16:32
Wow, sorry I missed the gathering. I was hiking the AT in southern Maine most of September and didn't see this thread. The NET is definitely on my "explore soon" list.

Let me know when, Tiptoe!

imscotty
11-18-2019, 08:37
Congratulations to WB friend LAZ whose 'Bell Tower B&B' in Wallingford, CT. got a nice write up in this month's edition of 'Yankee Magazine' as one of "New England's Coziest B&B's".

Congratulations LAZ, if I ever find time to do the NET I will definitely spend a night.