PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to sleep while camping

jgillam
09-04-2016, 12:55
Does anyone else struggle to sleep while camping? I have been a tent camper for the better part of 25 years and have always struggled to sleep in a tent, even with a does of a sleep aid.

My inability to sleep isn't related to anxiety...I grew up in the woods and am quite comfortable outdoors. I also find myself generally quite comfortable in a tent though I don't like hot humid nights but, who does?

I have been through a few sleeping pads now and find them all comfortable. I am still working out a pillow system but may have that figured out now as well. I've been using my shoes under the head end of the pad to keep my head propped up and to help keep my pillow in place.

Also important to note, I have been using a CPAP the last 5 years and not having that anytime I try to sleep, especially while camping, causes some issues - mostly because I've grown very comfortable with it. I can get by without it for a few nights without feeling like I'm going to die - a dry mouth is the worst side-effect I deal with.

Maybe after 40 years, I've gotten too dependent on my big comfy bed. I would love to find a way to sleep comfortably while camping so that I can enjoy longer trips with my kiddos.

Any advise would be appreciated.

nsherry61
09-04-2016, 14:12
Personally, I find that I often don't sleep well for the first two or three nights sleeping outside. Then, I either get used to it or get so tired that sleeping isn't too much of a problem. I also use a CPAP at home with little trouble not using it sleeping outside for at least a few days.

JohnHuth
09-04-2016, 14:33
When I younger, I had this problem, but after a few days, I slept soundly. Nowadays, I just conk right out, or if not, read a book with my headlamp and thank god I'm out in the woods.

Sister
09-04-2016, 15:43
You answered your own question. It's the lack of your CPAP machine. Sleep apnea causes insomnia. I wonder if the medical supply store carries a machine that is portable. I hope so!

jgillam
09-04-2016, 15:43
Thank you gentlemen. I forgot to mention it earlier but, I'm even considering trying a hammock as I've seen a number of people rave about their comfort. I couldn't sleep any worse[emoji848]

Just Tom
09-04-2016, 15:48
I find it is the noises of nature that lead to my poor sleep out in the woods. I just sleep too lightly, ever critter and hoot owl wakes me up. Tried ear plugs and I have never slept better.

jgillam
09-04-2016, 16:49
I am actually used to having my iPhone basting a sound machine app while I sleep inside, I can't deal with the silence. I find the woods, even when camped near an active frog pond, to be too quiet. I have used the same app in the woods but, it runs my phone down. I may try it tonight since I'm camping with the kids again tonight.

Toolumpy
09-04-2016, 21:49
I never sleep good in my hammock, too quiet except for EVERY LITTLE noise I hear.

MuddyWaters
09-04-2016, 21:54
Ear plugs.
Every little noise stimulates brain, like having a conversation going on next to you. Your brain automatically sorts noises into routine, and dangerous, whether you want it to or not.

Zig-Zag
09-04-2016, 21:58
I am a pretty poor sleeper regardless of where I am trying to sleep. I take a paperback and use my headlamp and just accept that I'm not going to instantly pass out. If this cycle goes on for enough days, sleep gets easier :-)

Puddlefish
09-04-2016, 22:15
I can't sleep in hotel rooms. It's all mental in my case. At some point in life I just convinced myself I couldn't sleep in hotel rooms. I find Bigelow Sleepy Time tea to be a lifesaver. Placebo or not, the ritual of making it and just inhaling the steam from it is enough to convince myself I can sleep.

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2016, 23:54
Well imagine for a moment that the base in most sleep aids is Benadryl, an allergy medicine that can be taken 1 hour before sleep will work. Warm milk combined with that medicine will enhance the drowsiness. Think Nido and warm water.

Those foam earplugs kind of suck when the guy next you in the shelter is sucking tornado like winds... Now there is a Silicone form-able piece that cuts a lot of noise better than the regular stuff.

As for the C-pap, well we have that in common. I have played with battery operated ones, I have used deep cycle batteries and inverters...etc, I have had several operations, nasal cartilage , uvula removal, and nasal plate removal. - forget it ... the biggest thing is to loose the weight...Get help in this area... thirty pounds makes a huge difference.

-Rush-
09-05-2016, 00:18
The best thing I did was get my sleeping system dialed in. It took several tries with different gear, but now I have no issues passing out and sleeping well.

johnnybgood
09-05-2016, 00:44
I sleep better in a hammock...and that's all I have to say about that :)

MisterQ
09-05-2016, 07:20
For me it was all about the pillow. First was a stuff sack filled with clothes. Then I tried an inflatable pillow. Didn't sleep well with either setup. When I finally conceded to carry a small feather camping pillow, I had no problems. It takes up pack space but it's well worth it to get good sleep.

English Stu
09-05-2016, 07:23
My first night is usually fitful but soon fine. A relaxation mantra could help- to stop your mind skipping around to different subjects. A repeated slow count to four can help if you concentrate on it; again it focusses the mind away from everyday thoughts; similarly go up the body from the toes saying slowly and methodically to yourself; relax toes, relax feet and so on. Repeat- I never get past two or three times.

4shot
09-05-2016, 08:59
I sleep better in a hammock...and that's all I have to say about that :)

like the OP, I tried hammocks because people seemed so enthusiastic about them. Like the OP, i don't really sleep all that well when camping/hiking. The hammock didn't cure that, it's about a draw for me between sleeping in a tent (so I've kept the gear and use it sometimes). To the OP: the best piece of gear to invest in is a comfortable sleeping pad. Exped and NEMO make the best (imo). When I am hiking, whether it's 2100 miles or 100 miles, i just don't expect to sleep as well as I do at home.

Bronk
09-05-2016, 10:49
You're not tired enough. Next time get up two hours earlier and walk two hours later into the evening.

OldGringo
09-05-2016, 11:07
Earplugs and Benadryl.... Just enough to push me over the edge. I also use a white noise application at home on my iPhone. I have it with me when I hike, but it will run your battery down. You could always carry one of the external battery packs to top it off while you hike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
09-05-2016, 12:08
Does anyone else struggle to sleep while camping? I have been a tent camper for the better part of 25 years and have always struggled to sleep in a tent, even with a does of a sleep aid.

Maybe after 40 years, I've gotten too dependent on my big comfy bed. I would love to find a way to sleep comfortably while camping so that I can enjoy longer trips with my kiddos.

Maybe those 40 years should've been spent outside in the backyard sleeping on a variety of Thermarests or other sleeping pads and NOT a comfy bed. I recommend when at home to always or as much as possible sleep in the yard or on the deck or a porch and get REALLY used to sleeping outside on a pad---in the heat or the cold whatever. A "big comfy bed" is the price of the indoor life, and as I always say---Life is too short to be spent indoors.

And I agree with Bronk---You're just not wiped out enough backpacking some butt tough trails. Have a tough day and you'll set up camp and pass out with righteous exhaustion. Also: Sleep when you're tired, when you can't keep your eyes open anymore. Curl up somewhere and have at it.

Dogwood
09-05-2016, 21:52
I knew Tipi would get something right. I've been having a heck of time in big comfy expensive beds and bed linens to sleep indoors in the unnatural AC in unnatural shaped boxes. Went outside with a 40* quilt and fell asleep cowboy camping last night in the yard. Sprayed on some bug juice though. I was sleeping soundly on the beach(when protected from wind driven sand) and on the PCT recently. One thing about the PCT endless LNT potential sleeping spots. So miss that PCT tread and dust. I got another one in me. And, away we go. So in tune with the stirring before sunrise, hearing birds awaken, cowboy camping, getting that before sunrise walking start, seeing the forest/desert/mountain worship the sun's first rays, getting a long day in experiencing my soul awakened, hiking until after sunset, laying out pinching myself how fortunate, and zzzzzzzzz. Birds chirping again.

MuddyWaters
09-05-2016, 22:00
I also use a white noise application at home on my iPhone.

Theres 8-10 hr long "rain on tent" sounds on youtube.
I play occassionallt to drown out other household noises when wife still up

Sound muted though, like heavy tent
I want one of a cuben tarp in thunderstorm.

Dogwood
09-05-2016, 22:36
Theres 8-10 hr long "rain on tent" sounds on youtube.
I play occassionallt to drown out other household noises when wife still up

Sound muted though, like heavy tent
I want one of a cuben tarp in thunderstorm.

Serious? LOL.

Wife should quietly dump some water on your arse or put your fingers in tepid water. Tell the wife "can you make the sounds of wind now to add to the rain sounds."

For the really old timers is there a rain on canvas tent sound?

MuddyWaters
09-05-2016, 22:41

Google rain on canvas tent you tube

OldGringo
09-05-2016, 22:49
Serious? LOL.

The "sounds of breaking Wind" sound, kinda drowns it out....

MtDoraDave
09-06-2016, 07:10
I do sleep better on my Prolite Plus than I did on ccf pads, but still don't sleep well. Not sure if it's the lack of having the big comfy bed or that I'm not as relaxed as I am at home. At home, I know I'm safe; no critters are going to "get me" or my food/backpack while I'm sleeping, so I sleep soundly. Out in the woods, I'm constantly listening for critters, on some level worried about them, and therefor not as relaxed... or that's my theory anyway.

Hikingjim
09-06-2016, 07:53
After doing some canoe trips with proper pillows, I have identified that the pillows are my sleeping issue when hiking. With the exact same mat and tent I sleep 10x better if I have a real pillow.

have tried a few things, but no solution that works. As someone mentioned above, by the time I'm damn tired a couple days in (hard hiking, lack of sleep the first night), I'm ready to sleep anywhere.

Greenlight
09-06-2016, 08:15
Talk to your doctor about getting fitted for an oral device. They can be as effective as a CPAP or BIPAP for a lot of people. They only weigh a few ounces. And They don't need batteries.

You answered your own question. It's the lack of your CPAP machine. Sleep apnea causes insomnia. I wonder if the medical supply store carries a machine that is portable. I hope so!

LittleRock
09-06-2016, 08:50
My advice is if you can't fall asleep at night, you didn't walk enough during the day.

DuneElliot
09-06-2016, 10:18
I am the same as others...first couple of nights out I find it harder to sleep, but after that I'm generally good. I generally have a harder time because I go to bed too early, before it gets dark, but it's too cold to stay outside after the sun has gone down at 10,000 ft. I'm usually pretty exhausted by the time I reach camp, but I also stop early because I can't do more than about 12 miles a day (especially on half-existent trails) but it doesn't take me that long to walk that far and I get bored in camp too.

GoLight
09-06-2016, 22:34
I was on a cpap machine for years. On one memorable canoe trip I actually carried a car battery so I could use the cpap for camping. Then one day I got really sick of my lifestyle and I set out to lose weight until I achieved my proper BMI. Within 18 months I had lost 68 pounds, gave up the cpap for good, eliminated the need for all the meds for blood pressure and testosterone, overcame erectile dysfunction and returned to a normal, happy libido, and so forth.
The sleep apnea does cause insomnia, primarily because subconsciously I was afraid of asphyxiation when my throat closed and I couldn´t breath. The sleep lab that prescribed the cpap said I stopped breathing 19 times in a row.
Now, after losing 68 pounds and adopting an outdoor lifestyle I sleep like a baby, anywhere from 6 to 8 hours every night whether indoors or out. The key is to lose the weight. The hammock helped me do that. For the 18 months I was in training I had a ENO double nest in my bedroom and liked it much, much better than my $800 space foam queen mattress. Definitely go with the hammock in my opinion.

GoLight
09-06-2016, 22:36
Another option that works for some of us, is marijuana, medical of course. It knocks me out like no pill or booze I´ve ever had. Sleep so sound I wake up not remembering a thing, and its great for easing aches and pains and injuries.

plodalong
09-09-2016, 16:46
hope ya don't mind if I piggy back on this thread but it seems in the same vein. Does anyone have troubles sticking to their Neoair??? Spring, fall, winter I sleep pretty well since I am wearing clothing but in summer I either have to keep dressed and sweat or spend the night flailing around like a horsefly on a fly strip! I took a king pillow case and fashioned a sleeve out of it but its runnin 5-6 ounces...anyone try a different type pad or one of the commercial made sheets perhaps?

jgillam
09-09-2016, 19:06
Lots of good information here - thanks everyone.

When I started the thread, I left out one important fact. I forgot to mention that I categorically don't sleep for *****...ever, camping only makes it worse.

I can literally count the number of good nights of sleep that I've had in the last decade, on a single hand. Three of those night were in a row after I started taking BP medicine. Before the medication, my BP was 198/111 and I remember nearly crying in the mornings because I was exhausted.

I am going to look at an oral device.

I'd love to try medical marijuana but isn't a legal option in Indiana.

Lastly, I'm feeling more motivated to lose some weight, that probably wouldn't hurt me a bit.

capehiker
09-09-2016, 19:51
Lastly, I'm feeling more motivated to lose some weight, that probably wouldn't hurt me a bit.

I truly promise I'm not trying to be a dick, but you're looking for answers when it's clear you have several risk factors affecting your sleep that have nothing to do with camping. Weight loss is the best improvement to your backcountry sleep than any sleeping pad can have.

Maineiac64
09-09-2016, 20:04
hope ya don't mind if I piggy back on this thread but it seems in the same vein. Does anyone have troubles sticking to their Neoair??? Spring, fall, winter I sleep pretty well since I am wearing clothing but in summer I either have to keep dressed and sweat or spend the night flailing around like a horsefly on a fly strip! I took a king pillow case and fashioned a sleeve out of it but its runnin 5-6 ounces...anyone try a different type pad or one of the commercial made sheets perhaps?
I bought a thermarest fitted sheet, works awesomely well, very comfy when sleeping on pad in hot weather.

saltysack
09-09-2016, 21:10
Lots of good information here - thanks everyone.

When I started the thread, I left out one important fact. I forgot to mention that I categorically don't sleep for *****...ever, camping only makes it worse.

I can literally count the number of good nights of sleep that I've had in the last decade, on a single hand. Three of those night were in a row after I started taking BP medicine. Before the medication, my BP was 198/111 and I remember nearly crying in the mornings because I was exhausted.

I am going to look at an oral device.

I'd love to try medical marijuana but isn't a legal option in Indiana.

Another reason to move to Co![emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgillam
09-09-2016, 21:31
I truly promise I'm not trying to be a dick, but you're looking for answers when it's clear you have several risk factors affecting your sleep that have nothing to do with camping. Weight loss is the best improvement to your backcountry sleep than any sleeping pad can have.

No offense taken. It's the Internet, you are likely not a doctor and no one actually knows my full medical history. I am a big guy but, am still in decent shape, I just don't sleep well. Even when I was a thin teenager I struggled to sleep. I've come to live with it at home to the point of it being my normal. I do notice it more when I camp. I have always loved the woods and as my children have grown, I'm seeing more opportunities to be outside with them and want to enjoy it.

I think that between the suggested weight loss, the use of marijuana, walking to exhaustion and Benadryl, I am fully prepared[emoji3]

Rolls Kanardly
09-10-2016, 02:15
My sleep apnea has ramped up so bad it is going to stop me from even attempting one night on the a hike. When I start to fall asleep with out the mask I wake up startled with an anxiety/panic attack. I wish I could have the few nights with out a mask you are getting. I think you are lucky. I would give anything to be able to follow my dream and hike the AT but unless someone comes up with a 2lb 12v gas generator I will never get to overnight hike again.
Rolls

nsherry61
09-10-2016, 05:27
. . . I would give anything to be able to follow my dream and hike the AT but unless someone comes up with a 2lb 12v gas generator I will never get to overnight hike again.
Rolls
Google the term "ultralight CPAP". And never let this reason stop you again.

GoLight
09-10-2016, 10:05
Good post nsherry...this looks very interesting, I wish it had been available for me when I needed cpap a few years ago.....
http://www.cpap.com/productpage/transcend-travel-cpap-machine-somnetics.html $499

The multi-night battery is extra $275 and looks like you can get two nights out of it before recharging,

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/Transcend-Multi-Night-Battery.html

and you can order optional solar charger for $225 and weighs under a pound.

So, for a total of $1000 you can get freedom from being tethered to a wall outlet.
For some people, a cpap is going to be a forever thing. For others, myself included, all it took was to stop being obese and take up yoga and hiking. Everybody´s situation is different, so don´t be quick to judge someone if they need a cpap, its their hike, let them hike it their way.

GoLight
09-10-2016, 10:06
oops, here´s the link for the solar charger http://www.cpap.com/productpage/somnetics-transcend-solar-charger.html

Rolls Kanardly
09-11-2016, 00:38
Google the term "ultralight CPAP". And never let this reason stop you again.

I did check out portables a while back but an 8 hour charge for one unit would put me in and out of town every other night.
Another brand has a five pound battery plus the weight of the equipment for approximately three nights.
Maybe someone younger could handle the extra weight and the added town trips but for me as an individual this would not work.

Thanks for the thought. Maybe something new has come along and I will look again but I do not have much hope there is a unit that would let me hike the 2180 miles in six to seven months.

Rolls

nsherry61
09-11-2016, 08:41
. . . but I do not have much hope there is a unit that would let me hike the 2180 miles in six to seven months.
I drive my wife crazy at times because I always want to fix things (normally her problems, whatever they are) and I don't like accepting "It can't be done", or "It's not worth the trouble" as an answer.

Along those lines, I also sleep with a CPAP when an outlet is available at home or traveling. I have "moderate" sleep apnea which means (in practical terms) I can sorta sleep okay some of the time if I am on my side, but I can't sleep on my back without the CPAP.

Lately, I have been experimenting with a mandibular advancement device (MAD). MAD's are supposed to be effective alternatives for people with sleep apnea that cannot tolerate CPAP machines. You can get some dentists to custom make a MAD for a about $2000, or you can buy simple alternatives on the internet for $100-$200 that you mold at home and manage your adjustments without the help of a professional.

Being the arrogant, cavalier, cheap-scape that I am, I opted for a cheap internet alternative. And, after experimenting and altering my MAD over a few trials, I have found that I can sleep reasonably well (i.e. well enough) by using my MAD and forcing myself to stay sleeping on my side (I alternate left and right throughout the night). Yes, that means a nice inflatable sleeping pad and a good pillow is a must, but the cost of comfort is a small price to pay for the added freedom.

Good luck and have fun.

GoLight
09-11-2016, 09:54
I found some relief by sleeping in a ENO Double nest. I could scoot my feet to the left and my torso to the right and lay on my left side then put a double pillow to raise my head almost uncomfortably high and I could sleep very well without the CPAP, and I got used to the high pillow after a few nights. I also found that saline nasal spray helped keep my nasal passages open for better breathing. Laying on left side is supposed to be better for your digestion because laying on your right side the gases from your stomach can leak back to your throat which exacerbates the sleep apnea.

jgillam
09-11-2016, 10:47
I am going to order a MAD this week. A friend sent me the link to the kind he likes. I'll see how that goes.

To followup with what I mentioned earlier, regarding my elevated BP a few years back, that was caused by a frozen diaphragm (layman's term). It took over a year to identify the problem because it isn't common. Regardless, it appears to have been caused by a flu-like virus and has since resolved itself. That was causing me to take in around 23% of the oxygen I should have been, which as you can imagine, causes havoc on the human body. In retrospect, even though I don't generally sleep well, things are markedly better than they were years ago.

Patrickjd9
09-11-2016, 12:02
You're not tired enough. Next time get up two hours earlier and walk two hours later into the evening.

I'm not a great outdoor sleeper, and also make an effort not to go to bed too early.

Fredt4
09-13-2016, 00:10
If you Hike enough miles this isn't a problem. Enjoy.

saltysack
09-13-2016, 09:50

Not necessarily....even after 12+ hour days and 25+ Miles I still tend to toss and turn a lot....tried Benadryl but makes me feel woozy in the morning....part of my problem is I can't seem to get my pillow set up dialed in...I've tried many inflatables with no luck....was going to try the goose feet gear down pillow but can't bring myself to spend the $$$. The 2l evernew bag inside the buff should be an improvement from the 2l sawyer bag pillow....

nsherry61
09-13-2016, 10:05
...part of my problem is I can't seem to get my pillow set up dialed in...I've tried many inflatables with no luck...
A couple of years ago I did some serious pillow shopping. I experimented with every pillow REI had at the time. Not one inflatable pillow worked well because they either wouldn't stay put under my head (too light and slippery) or the shape just didn't work. Even the highly acclaimed Exped pillows failed for me. All the foam filled TermaRest and similar pillows failed. I ended up buying REI's cheapest little travel pillow that had regular pillow filling in it, not unlike the disposable mini-pillows that hospitals use and throw away (except the REI pillow has a cotton face fabric). That little REI pillow worked pretty well, although, now that I found an inflatable I like even better for sleeping on the ground, the REI pillow has been relegated to being used every night in bed as my secondary pillow. Yes, it is a fantastic nightly-use second pillow to fine-tune my head angle.

The inflatable I found that works significantly better than any others, for me, because it's shape works for me, it doesn't slide out from under my head, and its air volume is easily adjustable, is the Sea-to-Summit Aeros pillow (http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Aeros+Pillow+Premium&o1=0&o2=0&o3=572-30) (I use the regular, many people seem to prefer the large). It came out about a month after my big REI pillow shopping marathon.

Good luck and sweet dreams.

saltysack
09-13-2016, 10:18
A couple of years ago I did some serious pillow shopping. I experimented with every pillow REI had at the time. Not one inflatable pillow worked well because they either wouldn't stay put under my head (too light and slippery) or the shape just didn't work. Even the highly acclaimed Exped pillows failed for me. All the foam filled TermaRest and similar pillows failed. I ended up buying REI's cheapest little travel pillow that had regular pillow filling in it, not unlike the disposable mini-pillows that hospitals use and throw away (except the REI pillow has a cotton face fabric). That little REI pillow worked pretty well, although, now that I found an inflatable I like even better for sleeping on the ground, the REI pillow has been relegated to being used every night in bed as my secondary pillow. Yes, it is a fantastic nightly-use second pillow to fine-tune my head angle.

The inflatable I found that works significantly better than any others, for me, because it's shape works for me, it doesn't slide out from under my head, and its air volume is easily adjustable, is the Sea-to-Summit Aeros pillow (http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Aeros+Pillow+Premium&o1=0&o2=0&o3=572-30) (I use the regular, many people seem to prefer the large). It came out about a month after my big REI pillow shopping marathon.

Thx...that's about the only one I haven't tried. Off to REI....

Secondmouse
09-13-2016, 14:02

ditto on the Sea to Summit. also tried the Klymit Pillow X and it seems to work in the hammock but a little too narrow on a mattress...

4shot
09-13-2016, 18:55

Not exactly true or accurate for all hikers. May be a function of age. When i was in my teen's and 20's, I could fall asleep on the interstate. now sleeping 7 hours in a row uninterrupted, even in my own bed, is a rare thing indeed. Doing long miles doesn't change things for me. Of course, ymmv as they say.

tflaris
09-14-2016, 08:58
Ear plugs and staying warm seem to be the key for me hammock or tent or shelter.

Best of luck

jefff
09-16-2016, 08:48
I've had the same struggle making the transition from CPCP at home to NOTHING while camping. I would wake up in the tent gasping for air and struggle with not being able to sleep on my back. I got desperate enough to try a relatively inexpensive ($90) mouthguard called the Zippah (https://www.zyppah.com). I found it really easy to adjust to and it works! My wife has an $1800 version that doesn't work as well as my Zippah. I like it because it has a rubber band that holds my tongue back from choking position. My wife says I still snore a little but not like before. Now we can go hiking hut to hut and sleep in dorms even. As I have sleep apnea, I still use my CPAP when at home (or traveling in hotels) but when I am camping I sleep like a champ with my Zippah.

GoLight
09-16-2016, 09:19
My dentist told me he could custom make a mouthguard for $400, or, I could go next door to the pharmacy for $3. I did the pharmacy thing and it solved my problem. Mouth guards that you boil and bite are available in drugstores for like $3. They do the same thing as the very costly ones shown in big ads and web pages. Amazon has hundreds of choices too.

Turk6177
09-16-2016, 09:32
I also usually am somewhat restless at night for the first couple days of a trip. I always say my 3rd day is my worst day mostly because I am tired and my tolerance for the less than good things we sometimes experience is very short. Sometime after that I usually get a good nights sleep and the world then seems cheery again. One thing you may try is to use your sleeping bag unzipped as a quilt. I find that helps me stay comfortable. Going from a bed where you are completely sprawled out to the confines of a mummy bag tend to make me a little less prone to getting a good nights sleep. I am also going to try a hammock soon and we will see how I fare. Good luck.

nsherry61
09-16-2016, 12:10
. . . Mouth guards that you boil and bite are available in drugstores for like $3. They do the same thing as the very costly ones shown in big ads and web pages. Amazon has hundreds of choices too.
Actually, most boil and bite mouth guards to NOT provide the mandibular advancement needed to control snoring and some sleep apnea although they can help with grinding teeth.

plodalong
09-23-2016, 14:49
I bought a thermarest fitted sheet, works awesomely well, very comfy when sleeping on pad in hot weather. thanks for the suggestion, I had seen them but was hesitant. Ordered and received it and works great.

jsrbeatles
10-03-2016, 16:30
If you have sleep apnea but don't want to or can't lug around a cpap and battery kit there are some helpful, ultra-lightweight alternatives that you could ask your doctor about:

Provent (https://singularsleep.com/products/provent)

ApneaRx for Sleep Apnea (https://singularsleep.com/products/apnearx-oral-appliance-for-sleep-apnea-snore-snoring-retainer-mouthpiece-mandibular-advancement-device)

If you think you have sleep apnea but haven't been formally diagnosed you'll have to have a sleep apnea test (https://singularsleep.com/pages/home-sleep-apnea-test) before you can get an rx for either of these (or cpap).

My inability to sleep isn't related to anxiety...I grew up in the woods and am quite comfortable outdoors. I also find myself generally quite comfortable in a tent though I don't like hot humid nights but, who does?

I have been through a few sleeping pads now and find them all comfortable. I am still working out a pillow system but may have that figured out now as well. I've been using my shoes under the head end of the pad to keep my head propped up and to help keep my pillow in place.

Also important to note, I have been using a CPAP the last 5 years and not having that anytime I try to sleep, especially while camping, causes some issues - mostly because I've grown very comfortable with it. I can get by without it for a few nights without feeling like I'm going to die - a dry mouth is the worst side-effect I deal with.

pickNgrin
10-03-2016, 17:13
All hammocks are not created equal. The key for most people getting a good nights sleep in a hammock is achieving a "diagonal lay". This is made easier by having a long hammock. Many hammock campers use an 11' long hammock. Some even use 12' or more.

You want this:

Not this:

There is a wealth of information on http://hammockforums.net, Shugemerys youtube channel, and http://theultimatehang.com, to name a few.

allmebloominlife
10-05-2016, 08:18

The biggest problem for me, as well, is figuring out this pillow situation. I've tried foam, inflatable, stuff sack with down jacket. I've got a large neo x lite and at 5'9" and 170lbs is quite palatial for me. Considering switching to hammocks as well.

dad love mom
10-10-2016, 12:18
I think sleeping outdoors is a struggle because of the neck support issues associated with blow-up pillows and the like. I've tried numerous approaches. I'm a side sleeper, which means I need good neck support to feel comfortable. I just purchased the Fillo pillow. If it helps me, I'll post back with some thoughts.

Good luck, OP! You're not alone!

dudeijuststarted
10-10-2016, 12:37
i would give anything to sleep in the woods right now.

jonathanp
10-15-2016, 09:30
As everyone else has said, ear plugs are heaven sent. I find that it blocks a lot of the noise that my neoair makes in particular, along with everything/everyone else. Dialing in body temperature seems to have a huge impact on my sleep quality too.

Wise Old Owl
10-15-2016, 09:57
IMO - these really do not work....but growing up I used to listen to the sounds of crickets and frogs or spring peepers along the Brandywine creek. Love the owl sounds at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH-kj6rkQWc

Wise Old Owl
10-15-2016, 10:13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubbvbje8UEA

Walessp
10-15-2016, 15:16
I'll probably get some push-back on this, but I found a small metal or plastic flask filled with bourbon can works wonders. Of course being a section hiker, resupply was normally not a problem.

Outlaw
(walessp)

Hosh
10-15-2016, 22:45
Another reason to move to Co![emoji16]

A folk rock hero's latest capitalist adventure.... from the Denver Post http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/08/09/willie-nelson-strain-reviews-willies-reserve/60418/

Venchka
10-15-2016, 23:29
I drove through Fort Garland a month ago.
The only functioning business I saw in town was the pot shop.
Wayne

plodalong
10-21-2016, 09:47
took your advice...guess I will pay the weight penalty because it worked great. Cool and cool nights were no problem since I wore clothes but hot sticky nights were nasty! Bought the sheet...worked..thanks