PDA

View Full Version : Canada's National Bird?

emerald
09-04-2016, 16:00
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/09/03/canadians-pick-common-loon-as-their-favourite-to-become-national-bird.html

Traillium
09-04-2016, 16:26
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/09/03/canadians-pick-common-loon-as-their-favourite-to-become-national-bird.html

Wonderful choice!

As a long-time wilderness paddler, I fully agree with this choice. I was somewhat worried that thruhiking the Bruce Trail this Spring, I might not get to hear this favourite bird. But I did get to hear it several times, inland as we passed by small lakes, and then again from atop the Georgian Bay cliffs. What a stirring sound as it yodels its 'storm-approaching-let's-get-together' wailing song!

My second choice was the Gray Jay, with its mothlike flight and mischievous personality. However, few people other than those who have experienced the Canadian wilderness know of this species.

Bruce Traillium, brucetraillium.wordpress.com

emerald
10-13-2016, 09:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8-_6G58BRo

rocketsocks
10-13-2016, 10:32
Anything but the Shyte bird Canadian Goose...we should build a wall.....
and get Mexico to pay for it! :D

burger
10-13-2016, 12:30
My second choice was the Gray Jay, with its mothlike flight and mischievous personality. However, few people other than those who have experienced the Canadian wilderness know of this species.

Not true! I saw them on the PCT, CDT, and the AT. They aren't common on the AT, but they're definitely around in New Hampshire and Maine. And in some places where they live along trails, they are very tame, probably because people feed them (don't feed the wildlife, people). I remember standing on top of West Peak in the Bigelows in Maine taking pictures, and when I turned around to put my phone back in my pack, there was a gray jay sitting on the summit sign, not 5 feet away from me. He had silently flown up behind me--unfortunately he took off before I could get a pic.

Anyway, I'm sure that Canada has more gray jays than the US does, but you can't claim them all!

Dogwood
10-13-2016, 14:10
Beautiful bird, the loon, with and equally beautiful call.

I've seen them on the AT and CDT as migratory waterfowl usually near the Can/U.S. border. Never saw them on the PCT. On various segments of the North Country Tr they are common.

Dogwood
10-13-2016, 14:16
Mexican jays are real friendly too. I had at least twenty pecking out of my hand in Big Bend NP. In New Hampshire the Gray jays will lead on your head looking for food and also land on your hand. Both birds can make a mess out of unattended unprotected food at a campsite. Yet bears get the majority of the bad press concerning eating people's food.

peakbagger
10-13-2016, 14:59
Surprised they didn't pick Gray Jays that they also call Canada Jays in my area (AKA whiskey jacks), they are native to the boreal forests that cover much of Canada, are year round residents (unlike the loon who migrate over the winter) and are quite gregarious( to the point where they an become a nuisance). I think the folks in Ontario's "cabin country" are stacking the decks for loons.

Traillium
10-13-2016, 15:07
Agreed that Gray Jays are widespread. But they are not common, even in Ontario's cottage country. Few Canadians have ever seen one. Many have seen loons, including everyone who has handled the iconic Cdn$1 “Loo i.e.,” coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traillium
10-13-2016, 15:08
"Loo i.e.,” = 'loonie'. … Thanks autocorrect …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk