PDA

View Full Version : Best remedy for chafing?

g8trh8tr
01-10-2006, 13:24
Anyone have any good remedies for chafing? I wear spandex and it helps for a while but I still chafe eventually. It gets very sore/raw and I am looking for ideas on how to eliminate or at least quickly treat it. I know there has to be some good remedies because I know I can't be the lone victim here.

Speer Carrier
01-10-2006, 13:42
There is a product called, I believe "Body Glide" that looks like a roll on deoderant. I bought some at REI. It worked well for me.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2006, 13:44
www.bodyglide.com

Footslogger
01-10-2006, 13:47
Whatever you decide to use ...use it BEFORE the chafe gets to the "raging" stage. Dern near had to come off the trail in Gatlinburg to let things cool off a tad.

'Slogger

the goat
01-10-2006, 14:50
A+D ointment, grease it up early and often.

WARNING: do not put triple-strength gold bond on your chafed area, it will produce the most pain-intensive event of your natural life.

Almost There
01-10-2006, 14:52
Body Glide, put it on each morning before you start hiking, it should hold up each day. I used to have serious problems with chafing, since I started using this religiously it's been all good!

neo
01-10-2006, 14:54
prevention,dont wear cotton underwear:cool: neo

minnesotasmith
01-10-2006, 15:13
My thighs rub together (did so even when my weight was low, long ago). I hike wearing underwear and shorts that BOTH come to mid-thigh, and are both 100% synthetic. I'd also suggest bringing some first-aid adhesive pads that are at least 4" x 4", with some white medical tape to hold them in place.

orangebug
01-10-2006, 15:17
Once it starts, some sort of lubricating lotion - Body Glide, Bag Balm, diaper creme, etc. all work. Prevention - it seems many prefer either the Spandex or going without skivies. Enjoy your personal research into this eternal problem

D'Artagnan
01-10-2006, 15:19
Body Glide is worth more than its weight in gold. An ounce of prevention.....

Footslogger
01-10-2006, 15:36
I found the most important thing to be keeping the area dry and well ventillated. Sometimes ointments cause the skin to thicken and actually become more "sticky" against clothing or other body parts.

Didn't mention this in my earlier thread ...but the cure for me was switching to a kilt (for a couple months) and regular use of premoistened aloe towlets to prevent the salt in my perspiration to dry and crystalize on the skin surface.

'Slogger

halibut15
01-10-2006, 15:39
A+D ointment, grease it up early and often.

WARNING: do not put triple-strength gold bond on your chafed area, it will produce the most pain-intensive event of your natural life.

Amen, Goat. I speak from personal experience.

general
01-10-2006, 15:52
gold bond triple medicated powder. every morning before chafing starts. keeps you cool and dry. burns a little when you dust your drawers, but goes away in a matter of seconds.

RITBlake
01-10-2006, 16:00
Body Glide!

Thanks Auggie, it saved me a bit farther down the line

Mouse
01-10-2006, 16:15
I found a shower followed by a night in a well air-conditioned motel room seemed the best cure. Pricey, but effective.

Smile
01-10-2006, 16:41
Another Gold Bond story learned by a hiker friend of mine a few years ago (who is just now getting his voice back after the incident) - there IS a difference between the GOLD container and the GREEN container of Gold Bond.

DO NOT use the green bottle, even if it's the last powder in the store. Menthol.

QHShowoman
01-10-2006, 16:42
The problem I have with Body Glide is that is just makes my skin feel hot and in a way, almost as uncomfortable as chafing does. It is a silicone-based product so it is probably clogging up my pores and inhibiting my sweating or something.

I find the best way to reduce chafing is to wear a snug-fitting pair of spandex shorts.

clamotte
01-10-2006, 17:36
You can also use body glide on pack rub. Not only did it help in my nether regions, it sure made carrying a pack in hot Virginia a WHOLE LOT more bearable.

Chef2000
01-10-2006, 18:58
I use neosporin pain cream as soon I feel it getting hot. It greases it up and heals the rash.

I wear wicking underwear .

The Will
01-10-2006, 19:06
Under Armour compression shorts have relieved this problem for me when running or hiking. There is a diaper rash topical cream called Desitin that promotes quick recovery reddened areas such as hotspots on feet and the beginnings of thigh chaffing.

jackiebolen
01-10-2006, 20:12
Not sure about the guys, but if you're a woman, don't wear underwear under your shorts or pants. Get some air circulation going and most of your problems will hopefully be prevented.

Footslogger
01-10-2006, 20:14
Not sure about the guys, but if you're a woman, don't wear underwear under your shorts or pants. Get some air circulation going and most of your problems will hopefully be prevented.
================================================
Works for men too Jackie. That was the other half of my cure in 2003.

'Slogger

ScottP
01-10-2006, 21:48
How many miles/day are people with these cures walking? It might be possible, for example, that for under 15 miles/day compression shorts work well, but over that body glide is needed...

Also, how long does a container of body-glide last? How long does a container of the travel size last?

Blue Jay
01-10-2006, 21:54
Didn't mention this in my earlier thread ...but the cure for me was switching to a kilt (for a couple months) and regular use of premoistened aloe towlets to prevent the salt in my perspiration to dry and crystalize on the skin surface.

'Slogger

Once again the best advise so far. This is the only solution if the rain keeps up for more than five days. There are other methods to keep your skin clean in areas that rub, but this is one of the best. There is no reason for fabric that turns into a wet diaper between your legs. Yet again it is important to find out what Minnisota does and avoid it.

Toolshed
01-10-2006, 21:58
I used to get the chafing or on long hot summer trips, buttrash, which is also very painful.
I used to use GoldBond but after our first baby I found the miracle of A+D or J&J Diaper cream daiper rash ointment- The stuff that smells like fish. It works wonders. I used it for about 5 years and love it. I keep a tiny tube of it in my TP ziplock - always handy.
I bought some Body Glide at REI last year and that also works wonders - but put it on before you take your first step, whereas diaper rash ointment is for when the pain starts.

Valmet
01-10-2006, 22:21
I found that it was the type of clothing I wear. I now wear the moisture wicking type of cloth with NO underware. Lose fitting so the breeze can assist is keeping me happy. I found the underware was one of the biggiest problems for me.

Skidsteer
01-10-2006, 22:28

That works for at least one guy I know personally.:D

Cosmo
01-10-2006, 23:01
I find vasaline to be pretty good at providing a waterproof lubricating surface. A cleaning at the end of the day to remove salt is helpful. Pay attention to good cleaning habits when visiting the privy. Pre moistened wipes are handy (non-alchohol!). Please don't leave them in the privy.

Cosmo

Pressure Treated
01-10-2006, 23:10
baby powder works for me.

minnesotasmith
01-11-2006, 07:57
Yet again it is important to find out what Minnisota [sic]does and avoid it.

I hike on the Appalachian Trail, and normally tell other people it is a great idea. If you have a personality at all similiar to BJ's, please do follow his advice, and don't hike on the AT (especially this spring and early summer, when I'll be thru-hiking).:rolleyes:

Newb
01-11-2006, 08:53
I chafe right in my butt crack as my cheeks rub together. What would help that?

Lone Wolf
01-11-2006, 08:55
anal eze most likely.

Doctari
01-11-2006, 12:12
prevention,dont wear cotton underwear:cool: neo

That's my hint. I would leave out the word "cotton" tho, don't wear undies at all.

Doctari. :dance

Doctari
01-11-2006, 12:59
Oh, and I also wear a kilt while hiking, much greater ventilation :jump

Doctari.

KirkMcquest
01-11-2006, 13:15
Try ky or vaseline for smooth sliding

longshank
01-11-2006, 13:17
I chafe right in my butt crack as my cheeks rub together. What would help that?
Try a pre-lubricated condom next time.

Newb
01-11-2006, 14:17

Just don't be so rough on me.

Alligator
01-11-2006, 14:32
Try ky or vaseline for smooth sliding

Words of wisdom from two professional ass whores.

KirkMcquest
01-11-2006, 14:57
Words of wisdom from two professional ass whores.

Not really, just learned alot from Mrs. Alligator:banana

Alligator
01-11-2006, 15:02
Not really, just learned alot from Mrs. Alligator:banana
Yeah, she said you boys really enjoyed the strap-on and needed a lot of instruction.

KirkMcquest
01-11-2006, 15:06
Yeah, she said you boys really enjoyed the strap-on and needed a lot of instruction.

I'm surprised your mom talks about her sex life to you.

Alligator
01-11-2006, 15:08
I'm surprised your mom talks about her sex life to you.
You and your mom don't have to talk since you're both in the same bed.

KirkMcquest
01-11-2006, 15:15
You and your mom don't have to talk since you're both in the same bed.

geez, thats really below the belt;)

longshank
01-11-2006, 15:16
geez, thats really below the belt;)
Like Mrs. Gator's forehaed

Alligator
01-11-2006, 15:20
Yeah, we should stop here, I'm guessing that Attroll is debating how to shut this one down.

Alligator
01-11-2006, 15:21
Like Mrs. Gator's forehaed
She's way above the belt on me, you guys must be short.

longshank
01-11-2006, 15:26
lol...taller, you mean

lobster
01-12-2006, 14:07
Lose some weight and those fat thighs won't chafe so much! Also, throw the underwear in the garbage.

QHShowoman
01-12-2006, 14:46
Lose some weight and those fat thighs won't chafe so much!

That's a ridiculous comment ... if in fact you meant it seriously. Some folks' thighs touch regardless of weight ... you could be 98 lbs soaking weight and have your thighs rub together if that's the way you are built.

longshank
01-12-2006, 15:14
That's a ridiculous comment ... if in fact you meant it seriously. Some folks' thighs touch regardless of weight ... you could be 98 lbs soaking weight and have your thighs rub together if that's the way you are built.
sounds like the rhetoric of the grossly overweight....

QHShowoman
01-12-2006, 15:17
sounds like the rhetoric of the grossly overweight....

Sounds like the rhetoric of the grossy idiotic.

QHShowoman
01-12-2006, 15:18
Grossly, too. :)

lobster
01-12-2006, 15:31
My thighs rubbed when I began, but when I lost weight and toned, this wasn't an issue!

Smooth
01-12-2006, 22:15
Chief2000 and I must carry the same first aid kit.

longshank
01-13-2006, 14:26
nothing wrong with a little thigh-rubbin'...

jimmyjob
01-13-2006, 14:51
Anyone have any good remedies for chafing? I wear spandex and it helps for a while but I still chafe eventually. It gets very sore/raw and I am looking for ideas on how to eliminate or at least quickly treat it. I know there has to be some good remedies because I know I can't be the lone victim here.

if you can't get your hands on the body glide stuff....diaper rash cream works great...and don't bother wearing underwear...cotton or synthetic...:sun

jimmyjob

nyushka42
01-13-2006, 16:11
no underwear... good, just lighted my pack, thanks!

TACKLE
01-13-2006, 16:54
For relief at the end of the day,try sleeping with a dry towel between your legs so your thighs and private parts don't touch.You'll be shocked how much better it is in the morning,then put put Body Glide on.Also cleaning the spandex shorts every day will greatly reduce the chaffing problem.

bullseye
01-14-2006, 23:08
I found a product that works great for chafing called Sport Slick. It's used by marathon runners and not only does it lubricate, but it has some healing properties also. On top of that it doesn't come off until you wash it off. I put it on my feet and as long as I've been using it I haven't gotten blisters, even on 20+ mile days in the heat. I also use it in the other areas I was chafing in and I must say it works great. Going sans underwear also has helped with chafing.

g8trh8tr
01-15-2006, 23:25
I bought the bodyglide today. I did notice though that it has the exact same active ingredient as diaper rash cream so next time I will probably just buy the diaper rash cream since it is cheaper and can be carried in smaller amounts. Thanks for all the input.

sparky2000
01-15-2006, 23:31
No doubt directly related to sweat. How to keep dry is the question. The Roman soldier who walked many many miles just kept it all aired. Therefore, no undies and keep the zipper down.

oruoja
01-16-2006, 09:19
To heal up chafe or any other skin irritation "Penatin Creme" works the best. It's made in Germany, but now also linked with Johnson&Johnson and can be ordered over the net or found in some drug stores or import specialty and european deli stores.

mweinstone
01-18-2006, 20:13
human skin does not chafe when you eat and drink right.we're talking about the need to minimize skin damage due to fricktion or ,..lubricants.the only reason we chafe is we dont hydrate our largest organ the skin, or we dont eat oils in our diet.people need more water,more fish ,more dark green veggies.people dont need treatments for conditions.no chafeing was ever caused by a lack of ointment.no headach was ever caused by a lack of asprin..but ointments do work so heres what i think is cool about chafeing.did you know that licking your lips actually digests them and thats what cures chaped lips,...not licking them.not putting chapstick on alone but trying not to lick them is really the trick.any way when your skin is chafed the best cure is rejuvelac. its just wheat berries soaked in water and the resulting liquid is called rejuvelac.its the # 1 homeopathic cure for womans yeast infection and a million other supercool things.look it up .its good to know.i belive when we are super unhealthy our skin falls apart unprovoked and when were healthy or skin turnes into armor and handles abuse with ease.

QHShowoman
01-18-2006, 20:32
human skin does not chafe when you eat and drink right.

I beg to differ. The type of chafing we are discussing is largely due to friction. This can be caused by ill-fitting clothing, dried sweat/dirt/debris build up, heat and moisture, body type, etc. While proper nutrition and hydration will of course benefit your body in a million ways, it will do little to prevent the chafing that occurs when your crotch has been sweating for a week in the same dirty shorts that seem to grow looser with each step. It is to curb/relieve this type of chafing that folks use body glide or other types of powder/lubricants.

Jack Tarlin
01-18-2006, 20:44
One idea:

Zinc Oxide creme (the primary ingredient in most commercial diaper rash ointments) works well. Apply it at night to dry CLEAN skin, and then again coat affected areas in the morning BEFORE you start hiking. You may need to re-apply it several times during the day. No need to buy "name brand" stuff like Desitin; as long as the key ingredient is zinc oxide, it's pretty much al the same stuff. House brands, like whatever they have at Food Lion or Kroger will do just fine. Look for it in the "baby" aisle.

Dances with Mice
01-19-2006, 00:31
...any way when your skin is chafed the best cure is rejuvelac. its just wheat berries soaked in water and the resulting liquid is called rejuvelac....look it up ...I did. All I can say is that if rejuvelac is supposed to be good, based on its ingredients, then Jim Bean and Jack Daniels must be GREAT!

khaynie
01-19-2006, 22:39
First, apply a liberal layer of Gold Bond. Then coat affected areas with Greasy V. When applying Greasy V, use what's known as the "dollop system" invented by Don King and myself.

1 finger dollop - not too bad
2 finger dollop - could be worse
3 finger dollop - Oooh
4 finger dollop - Anybody wanna zero?
*NOTE* The 4 finger dollop requires that you dig and go deep - in the container of Greasy V that is...

Problem solved.

wyclif
01-19-2006, 22:52
First, apply a liberal layer of Gold Bond. Then coat affected areas with Greasy V.

That sounds messy. What happens when the Gold Bond mixes with the V?

What I'm wondering is how to avoid chafing altogether. No doubt the 2000 Milers reading this are laughing right now! :jumpI suppose chafing is as inevitable as sweating, but what can you wear to reduce this?

Does wearing pants instead of shorts prevent chafing on a long haul?

wyclif
01-19-2006, 22:54
...the "dollop system" invented by Don King and myself.
1 finger dollop - not too bad
2 finger dollop - could be worse
3 finger dollop - Oooh
4 finger dollop - Anybody wanna zero?
*NOTE* The 4 finger dollop requires that you dig and go deep - in the container of Greasy V that is...Funniest thing I've read here today!:banana

khaynie
01-19-2006, 23:39
That sounds messy. What happens when the Gold Bond mixes with the V?

What I'm wondering is how to avoid chafing altogether. No doubt the 2000 Milers reading this are laughing right now! :jumpI suppose chafing is as inevitable as sweating, but what can you wear to reduce this?

Does wearing pants instead of shorts prevent chafing on a long haul?

Gold bond goes on the affected areas generally the night before. However, as soon as you start to feel "gauted", apply Greasy V using the aformentioned Dollop System. Pants vs. shorts had no bearing in my case.

RITBlake
01-21-2006, 20:07
don't wear underwear, no chafing or gauting during my entire thru

justinwp
01-21-2006, 23:07
I'll have to try body glide although I really don't have many problems with chafing.