PDA

View Full Version : Section hike in GA last week in Sept. Weather? Water?

Lmurf
09-04-2016, 17:22
I am going to hike Springer to Deep Gap beginning Sept. 23rdnd I'm wondering how hot is gets during the day and how cool at night. Also, I'm reading a bit about a shortage of water. Any current info is appreciated.

Lmurf
09-04-2016, 17:24
I'm also looking for ideas on how to return to Atlanta at the end of my hike.

FatMan
09-05-2016, 08:00
Late Sept / early Oct is my favorite time to hike up here. Temps usually in the 60s and 70s for highs and 50s and upper 40s for lows. Usually pretty dry as the rains don't usually begin until later in Oct. But with that enticing forecast comes the traditional warning that it can also freeze or be really hot. You will definitely want to check the weather forecasts before you depart.

Due to last Winter and Spring being very dry many of our water sources have gone dry. Cooler temperatures and hopefully rain may bring some back by the end of the month, but at this time you need to plan to carry more water than normal.

Here is a link to the current water conditions posted here for Amicalola to Unicoi Gap.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/120633-GA-Water-Report-for-Labor-Day-Hikers-Amicalola-to-Unicoi-Gap

One more thing...it will be bow season so it never hurts to wear some blaze orange. Firearms season does not begin this year until Oct 22.

See you on the trail. Enjoy your hike!

Praha4
09-05-2016, 09:16
my favorite time to hike north GA mountains is mid Oct to early November, that's peak fall color season in north GA

Lmurf
09-05-2016, 10:41
Sounds like we picked a good time to go!

generoll
09-12-2016, 10:53
from hikers I have shuttled recently: Hawk Mtn dry. Blue Mtn dry. other sources are greatly reduced. camel up at every opportunity.

Runsalone
09-12-2016, 19:46
I did Unicoi Gap to Tray and back today. The stream the trail parrallels for a second going up rocky is running a little. Dribbley but gettable. The creek down the gravel road from Indian grave is doing fine, but about a quarter mile extra. The culvert sticking out at the stairs to tray road was workable, didnt check the piped spring or cheese factory site.

Today I think it got about mid 70,s up high. Was 78* at 5pm back at unicoi. Was really nice actually.

Things are definitely dry but workable, Id carry a little extra and try to plan around low elevation sources/creeks.

Have a great hike!!!

Turk6177
09-12-2016, 21:25
Wunderground.com is a good place to start for weather and precipitation trends. I hiked late Sept in 2013 and was fine in my 40 degree bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmurf
09-13-2016, 16:26
Thanks! I can't wait!