PDA

View Full Version : daypack with decent hipbelt

Zig-Zag
09-04-2016, 20:58
I've been on a quest to find a daypack that has a decent hipbelt.

For day trips I rarely carry much weight, but need to keep the weight on my hips due to a bunch of shoulder problems (and surgeries, etc...) . Aside from water, it is usually lunch, a basic first-aid setup, emergency bivvy and some odds and ends. Typically it only weighs about 5 lbs.

I've been suing an Osprey Stratos 24 but it doesn't fit me very well. I tried a Talon 22 but found it to not have enough padding on the shoulders (even without the wight is rubbed) and like the way the Gregory Zulu 30 feels, but the hip belt is too high and it seems big...but was comfy. That is the level of padding I'd love to find.

I don't have a shop within an hour so I typically end up having to order online and then return/exchange as necessary. I'd love to hear a few suggestions about daypacks that might work.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have that I can check out. I appreciate it!

Traveler
09-05-2016, 05:09
Check out the Daylite day pack, by Osprey.

Zig-Zag
09-05-2016, 09:13
That is sort of the opposite of what I was looking for. It only has the 1" wide strip of webbing for a hip belt. I'd like to find a bag around that size, but with a reasonably substantial hib belt (for comfort).

I've been striking out so far though in the quest.

One Half
09-05-2016, 09:23
Is it possible to put a good hip belt from one pack on another pack?

Zig-Zag
09-05-2016, 09:25
It seems with packs that small, unless you are a champ with a sewing machine (I'm not), probably not.

Traveler
09-05-2016, 14:49
Packs that aren't designed for heavier loads will likely all have the more narrow belts. I didn't know it was the width that was at issue, were it the fit, that pack has some decent adjustment ability to get the belt where you want it on most builds.

Getting a replacement belt of a greater width with some padding would likely be the best (or only) option. Getting someone to sew it together would be phase II.

One Half
09-05-2016, 14:56
It seems with packs that small, unless you are a champ with a sewing machine (I'm not), probably not.

see if there is a local makerspace and if someone there would be willing to do it for you.

blue indian
09-05-2016, 15:07
My favorite day pack ever was from Golite Rush 14. It is literally the perfect day pack in my eyes (it has a nice wide hipbelt, even has little pockets on it). MyTrail Co is the renamed Golite company but their product line is pretty small still...

Keep checking their website and hope they put the pack back on the market. Mine has seen better days and I want to replace it!

daddytwosticks
09-05-2016, 16:17
I recently got an REI Traverse 28. It has a trampoline type back (like some of the Ospreys) and a really good hip belt. I'm six foot with a long torso and it fits me really well. Also, it's a very comfortable day pack for summer hikes. :)

Cheyou
09-05-2016, 16:55
http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/backpacks.html

SWODaddy
09-05-2016, 17:01
Mystery Ranch sells something they market as a daypack (I'm sure the ultralight folks will laugh at a 38L pack being called a daypack). It has a very beefy yoke (the same ones they put on their huge packs) which is fully adjustable and a decently padded waist belt. It has a frame sheet but not a rigid frame per se.

Mens:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/scree-pack

Womens:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/cairn-womens-pack

Zig-Zag
09-05-2016, 18:37
Packs that aren't designed for heavier loads will likely all have the more narrow belts. I didn't know it was the width that was at issue, were it the fit, that pack has some decent adjustment ability to get the belt where you want it on most builds.

It isn't specifically the width, but it seems a wider width then the single 1" wide pc of fabric leads to greater comfort and more load transfer to the hips instead of it just being there for stability, etc....

It is more of a function thing then a width thing if that makes sense?

Turk6177
09-05-2016, 18:50
Is there any reason you can't carry a lightweight regular sized backpack that has a hip belt? Some of the smaller packs from ULA are lighter than a lot of day packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zig-Zag
09-05-2016, 19:16
Is there any reason you can't carry a lightweight regular sized backpack that has a hip belt? Some of the smaller packs from ULA are lighter than a lot of day packs.

Nope, other then feeling silly using it at about 5% capacity. Maybe that I might not have enough inside to secure it, but I doubt that is a big deal.

If it is comfy and has a decent belt/harness, it would work. It might be that I have to look at the bigger capacity packs to get the right thing.

DuneElliot
09-06-2016, 09:42
I'd also +1 on Zimmerbuilt. Contact them and have them make you a day pack to your specs...problem solved :D

Comet Omega
09-08-2016, 00:08
Gossamer Gear has a few that fit your description.

MikekiM
11-13-2016, 20:04
Another vote for Zimmerbuilt.

My primary pack is a ULA Ohm. I love the simplicity of the layout. However, it's a bit large for day hikes and overnighters.

When I saw the MLD Burn I fell for that one as it's a mini Ohm of sorts. It falls short in the hip belt area though (just webbing and wings, no padding and way too short).

So when I had a chance I picked up a Zimmerbuilt version of the Burn with a bunch of enhancements including a better hip belt. Generous padding that wraps around past my hip bones and bigger angled side pockets.

Since the layout is the same as my Ohm it's really intuitive to use and pack. Totally comfortable for a base weight of up to 15lbs though for day hikes I am typically around 5-6.

I was using an Osprey Stratos. First a 24 (or was it a 22) then a 34. I was never really happy with either. They were comfortable but the side and hip pockets were totally useless.

egilbe
11-13-2016, 20:50
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs/F50-CU.html?redirected=1

Makes for a big day pack, but it works.

MikekiM
11-13-2016, 22:55
For reference... Simmer built ZB2

Hip belt is far superior to the MLD Burn, IMHO..

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161114/98431019ef1d834d04ab7618a3344057.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikekiM
11-13-2016, 22:56
Darn auto correct... Zimmerbuilt ZB2..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mouser999
11-14-2016, 10:40
Look at the Osprey SKARAB32. I like the belt with pockets. Comes with a 2.5 liter bladder

Time Zone
11-14-2016, 11:34
It might be that I have to look at the bigger capacity packs to get the right thing.

I definitely think this is the case, based on a quick look at daypacks from online retailers. All the ones I noticed that had belts beyond the simple unpadded strap were in the 30-40 liter range, so they're going to be a little heavier due to being larger (more material, maybe tougher material too) and more well padded (ditto).

I wouldn't worry about what other people think - and I doubt they'd be able to tell your pack is hardly full at all. It's easy to tell one that is stuffed to the gills, but not always easy to tell whether one is 5% full or 50% full. Seems to me like the important thing is that nearly all the weight be on your hips. Sounds like you'd do better with 7 lbs on your hips than 5 lbs on your shoulders.

MikekiM
11-14-2016, 13:27
...All the ones I noticed that had belts beyond the simple unpadded strap were in the 30-40 liter range...

Well... not ALL of them. My Zimmerbuilt isn't that large and has an awesome padded belt.

Just sayin...

Time Zone
11-14-2016, 17:36
Well... not ALL of them. My Zimmerbuilt isn't that large and has an awesome padded belt.

Just sayin...

My claim was limited to the ones that I looked up and noticed.

Another Kevin
11-14-2016, 18:49
I have the same issues with needing a hip belt and being long in the torso. Tough Traveler is local to me, and I found, after a lot of time spent in their showroom, that the Super Cay (http://www.toughtraveler.com/lug/back.asp#supercay) (Tall) fit me well and was extremely comfortable. I don't recall whether the owner didn't have it in stock when I first tried things on, or whether she decided to make it for me and then added it to the product line. I know that I had to wait while they made one - and it felt bespoke, the owner really tried hard for my business. It was horribly expensive, and it's definitely on the heavy side, but I've had mine for nearly twenty years, in daily use as my work backpack as well as my trail pack for day trips. I've not treated it kindly. It's bombproof..

It has two zippered compartments, while, knowing what I know now, I'd have preferred a Bloody Great Sack (hat-tip to Colin Fletcher). On the other hand, I've gotten used to packing one with Gear That Might Be Wet (my Camelbak, my rainsuit, my tarp ...) and the other with Gear That Must Stay Dry (clothing, first-aid kit, toilet paper, ...), so I've adapted to what I have.

The Regular is 25 litres, the Tall is 28, which sounds like the size you want. The hip belt is amply padded. I carry heavy in it - intentionally - on my daily walk to/from work. It helps keep my body used to carrying a heavy pack on the trail. I think I carry more weight on my commute than I do for a weekend in the woods: a really heavy laptop computer and brick-like power supply, a few books, a couple of bottles of water, and foul weather gear.

Alex Blain-Laider
11-14-2016, 19:07
I really like my Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack (w/ and w/o strapettes).

Kaptainkriz
11-14-2016, 19:41
I'm using the Sierra Designs Discovery 30 and it is a great small pack. :)

-Rush-
11-14-2016, 21:45
I have an Osprey Manta 28 I use for day hikes and biking. The hip belt is comfy and has pockets. Reminds me of a tiny Osprey Atmos.

Secondmouse
11-14-2016, 23:03

I came here to recommend that. I have both the MS Day pack and the Tour (smaller). both have a great waistbelt and only need a shoulder strap to stabilize the load. the Tour is a little smaller and can get by without the strap but the Day, being taller needs the strapettes, IMO...

LittleTim
11-15-2016, 00:07
I came here to recommend that. I have both the MS Day pack and the Tour (smaller). both have a great waistbelt and only need a shoulder strap to stabilize the load. the Tour is a little smaller and can get by without the strap but the Day, being taller needs the strapettes, IMO...

After a long time lurking on this forum, this is the thread that pushed me to register and contribute to, only by the time I got approved, two other people gave the same recommendation.

Day pack is built tough, fits perfectly, and well worth getting the strapettes if you plan on carrying more than 5# ever.
If you couldn't tell, I'm a fan.

Venchka
11-16-2016, 11:18

Mega Dittos! I've used it to carry a Zone VI field camera and all the gizmos required to support the camera. I also used it for 2 round trips on Grandfather Mountain. Fantastic pack!
Wayne

Maineiac64
11-17-2016, 12:56
I had same challenge, went with gregory wander 38, big for day trips but not too bad, also great for weekends too. I like this pack.

Uncle Joe
11-17-2016, 13:21
I got an Osprey Talon 22 for the same reason.

dervari
11-20-2016, 22:40
I have an Osprey Manta 28 I use for day hikes and biking. The hip belt is comfy and has pockets. Reminds me of a tiny Osprey Atmos.
I just ordered the 36 today with my 20%. Has a Stratos 24 but didn't like the way the bladder took up space in the main compartment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

StillMoving
12-18-2016, 16:23

I've had years of outstanding service from MtnSmith...I have the Tourpack. Looking at their site they've changed designs, and mine is like the Tour Classic.

I also have this one that's about 20 yrs old but has only been in service about 6 yrs: http://mountainsmith.com/products/all-backpacks/world-cup-backpack.html This has a 1.5" non-padded waist belt.

Mine has mesh pockets on the side rather than solid.