PDA

View Full Version : Survived first family overnight!

JC13
09-05-2016, 17:33
Just got back from a 5 mile out and back on Section 10. Left from Pine Glen Campground and hiked to Laural Shelter. RW sources were flowing but the trail needs some love, the drop off at the start of the section needs some attention and there were multiple blow downs. Shelter was in pretty good shape and no mice.

dhagan
09-08-2016, 13:33
Im planning on section 9 and 10 soon. Can you be a little more specific on "needs some love"? Thanks!

JC13
09-08-2016, 14:24
The start of section 10 goes through 15 feet of brambles. The first 5 miles of section 10 had probably 15 blow downs across the trail, several areas had grown in to where the trail is almost indistinguishable and the grass/weeds were up to my head(6'1"). I wish I had brought a saw as I would have worked on some of the smaller ones while we went.

swisscross
09-08-2016, 15:03
Awesome. Took my 9year old daughter on her first overnight on the same section.

Went through section 10 this past spring just after what appeared to a control burn.
Still smoldering.
You should have tried to find a shuttle and hiked onto Coleman Lake passing the Shoals church. Nice resting place and has a port-o-let (nice for first family trip).

Next time hike south to Lower Shoals Shelter. My favorite Pinhoti shelter.
Better yet, hike to it going north.

If it matters to you there is no cell coverage at LSS or Laurel shelter.
No mice at either.

JC13
09-08-2016, 15:25
The kids wanted to go to Coleman Lake to swim but they didn't want to walk back 10 miles! Shoals Church would have been cool since it was Labor Day and the Harp singing should have been going on. Originally I was going to do 2-3 sections with a buddy but my wife got mad when she found out I wasn't inviting her and the kids! You could still tell that they had burned, charred pine cones were everywhere. Do you happen to know anyone who shuttles in that area?

swisscross
09-08-2016, 15:45
I have never needed a shuttle as my family lives close and have always driven me.
i have read that there a few but you will have to dig around to find them.
My BIL would more than likely shuttle if asked.

Forgot all about the Harp singers on Labor Day.