PDA

View Full Version : funny comment by my wife ...

Elaikases
09-05-2016, 17:34
She was reviewing equipment lists and noticed that no one packs nail clippers.

As I was responding she told me that it is obvious that with the way people hike on the trail, they probably need a pedicure at least once a month so they do that instead.

;)

Sarcasm the elf
09-05-2016, 17:47
Pedicure? Sounds like some type of childrens over the counter medication.

Elaikases
09-05-2016, 17:58
Pedicure? Sounds like some type of childrens over the counter medication.

:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedicure

Elaikases
09-05-2016, 18:08
Though I expect that through hikers have some way of dealing with their toe nails. I just realized that I've never read anyone who wrote about that part (other than those whose nails fell off). What do people really do to handle their toe nails when they need clipped?

Sandy of PA
09-05-2016, 18:18
The little bittie scissors on my tiny Swiss Knife trim toe nails, finger nails, and dental floss. I do carry a short emery board for finish work on the nails. Never had a pedicure in my life!

Malto
09-05-2016, 18:45
The little bittie scissors on my tiny Swiss Knife trim toe nails, finger nails, and dental floss. I do carry a short emery board for finish work on the nails. Never had a pedicure in my life!
Ditto on the little sissors.

Puddlefish
09-05-2016, 19:01
I splurged on the weight and brought dedicated toenail clippers. Feet are important when hiking, not going to mess around with painful toenail injuries.

gbolt
09-05-2016, 19:04
I have seen lost of gear lists that include nail clippers and tick tools in the first aid kit and or personal hygiene kit. I have also read some journals where a hiker hits a trail town and purchases a $1 pair of clippers for one time use and disposal. Nails should not drop off unless over hiking or improper shoe fit. Feet swelling and shoe size changing is a reason that toes take a beating.

rmitchell
09-05-2016, 19:07
+2 On little Swiss Army knife. Never leave home without it.

Odd Man Out
09-05-2016, 19:19
You a tell her that I always carry nail clippers. The little scissors on my SAK is very usefull, but for toe nauls, regular clippers are necessary. It's not about a pedicure. I've always been prone to infected toenails. Has prompted many trips to the Dr. Over the years. If I don't keep them perfectly it can be end a hike very quickly.

LIhikers
09-05-2016, 19:54
I carry a pretty heavy duty nail clipper.
The nails on my big toes are too thick for a small pair of scissors as found on a pocket knife.

AfterParty
09-05-2016, 20:23
I have a set in my first aid kit.

OkeefenokeeJoe
09-05-2016, 20:36
She was reviewing equipment lists and noticed that no one packs nail clippers.

As I was responding she told me that it is obvious that with the way people hike on the trail, they probably need a pedicure at least once a month so they do that instead.

;)

Sorry, but I'm not getting it. Where is the funny part that I'm missing?

Is it ... "they probably need a pedicure at least once a month" .... or is it .... "so they do that instead."

Instead of what? I'm confused.

I was looking for a good laugh but, not only does the humor evade me, I just don't get the entire post.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Sarcasm the elf
09-05-2016, 20:57
:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedicure

You should have told her that we all just bite our finger and toenails when they get long.

That or we just let the mice nibble on them at night.:eek:

nsherry61
09-05-2016, 21:13
+1 for carrying clippers.

I find they work better than my SAK scissors.

Careful nail maintenance is important to me. Clippers also allow me to cut things flush like a skin cut/flap that is catching things can be cut flush to the skin around it with clippers in a way I cannot with my SAK scissors or do well with a sharp blade.

DuneElliot
09-06-2016, 10:47
I also carry a small pair of nail clippers, but I've never put up a gear list anywhere. Even when I'm out for a weekend I still take them.

danil411
09-06-2016, 21:48
I kept them in my bounce box. Judging by the oohs and aahs and requests to borrow the clippers in Neels Gap, I wuld say most people forgot them altogether.
~Dimples

Fireplug
09-06-2016, 23:03
Keep your toe nails as short as possible. I carry a small set of nail clippers.

evyck da fleet
09-06-2016, 23:07
I carry a small 99 cent pair of clippers. On my thru I even bought a small pack of q-tips in Gatlinburg but I don't list the entire contents of my first aid kit separately.

Elaikases
09-09-2016, 18:19
Sorry, but I'm not getting it. Where is the funny part that I'm missing?

Is it ... "they probably need a pedicure at least once a month" .... or is it .... "so they do that instead."

Instead of what? I'm confused.

I was looking for a good laugh but, not only does the humor evade me, I just don't get the entire post.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Ok, the funny part was the idea of hikers going into towns once a month for pedicures instead of using toenail clippers. The image of hikers in a nail salon getting their toenails cut and painted was funny to me.

Sorry it wasn't to you.

Otherwise, the posts here have convinced me that I just did not look at enough gear lists with her.

garlic08
09-09-2016, 18:58
My list has a 4-oz "personal hygiene kit" item that includes dental care, a few OTC meds, and nail clippers. I didn't think anyone needed the details, and it's a very personalized item anyway. Other people will need different meds than I, or none at all.

Sarcasm the elf
09-09-2016, 19:06
Ok, the funny part was the idea of hikers going into towns once a month for pedicures instead of using toenail clippers. The image of hikers in a nail salon getting their toenails cut and painted was funny to me.

Sorry it wasn't to you.

Otherwise, the posts here have convinced me that I just did not look at enough gear lists with her.

I for one found it quite funny, especially because I imagined the look of terror on the poor girl's face if a hiker walked in and asked her to work on trail feet. :eek: