PDA

View Full Version : 1. How much of a problem are parasites? 2. Tent condensation?

MisterSweetie
01-10-2006, 14:21
1. I'm thinking of fleas, but others are included if there are others (excluding things like no-see-ums, black flies and mosquitoes, which are commonly talked about problems). How big a problem are they? If a sleeping bag got fleas, I can think that would make for VERY miserable nights. Is this common, and are there ways to prevent this?

2. If a tent gets condensation, and you put it up wet, common sense would dictate that while it's bagged, the water will permeate the whole thing. This would leave you with a wet tent, and looks like everything you have would eventually get wet even without rain because of your tents condensation. That's a gross simplification, of course. Regardless, how does one prevent this eventuality?

Thanks!

Footslogger
01-10-2006, 14:31
It's the human parasites I watch out for ...

'Slogger

Almost There
01-10-2006, 14:33
Can't really speak on the parasites, but as for your tent, the idea is to let your things air dry whenever given the chance to do so, but yes, you are right, there is a good chance that you could go days with totally damp gear. This is a reason why many do town days, etc. Damp Gear sucks, but it is part of life on the AT, or even eastern seaboard hiking.

orangebug
01-10-2006, 15:22
1. I'm thinking of fleas, but others are included if there are others (excluding things like no-see-ums, black flies and mosquitoes, which are commonly talked about problems). How big a problem are they? If a sleeping bag got fleas, I can think that would make for VERY miserable nights. Is this common, and are there ways to prevent this? Fleas have been getting along with humans for centuries. I only worry when they carry Bubonic Plague. I think the easiest way to avoid fleas is to avoid dogs and their owners.

The parasite to be very concerned with are Ticks. There are a variety of ways to prevent them, as well as some suggestion that a sponge bath at least everyother day should prevent most of the nasty diseases they can transmit.

general
01-10-2006, 16:01
being a dog owner, i've never had fleas. neither does the dog. however, my experience with fleas is this; given the choice between a human and a dog, the flea definantly perfers the dog. therefore, if your bag got fleas, lead a unsuspecting dog near your bag and they will all jump right on leaving your bag flea free.

try to keep your wet rain fly on the outside of your pack if at all possible, and with any luck with weather it will be dry in no time at all.

RITBlake
01-10-2006, 18:40
do your laundry and shower once in a while, treat/filter your water, you'll be fine

don't touch or play w/ trail dogs, no matter how clean the owner tells you they are.

use antibacterial hand gel after reading the register or using the privy or shaking hands

smokymtnsteve
01-10-2006, 20:03
NO fleas here in AK :banana

digger51
01-10-2006, 20:06
Just show the parasites where the hiker boxes are, and dont encourage them by paying their way.

jackiebolen
01-10-2006, 20:10
If you're really worried about parasites, get a silk sleeping bag liner and wash it every time you do laundry. But I don't really think anyone had problems with it when I was hiking.

Panzer1
01-10-2006, 20:46
The way I handle condensation is:
1) pack up the tent in the morning while it is still wet.
2) stop at lunch time and string up the clothes line.
3) hang the tent until it dries, usually about half hour. You eat lunch while it is drying.
4) pack the thing up again for a second time in the same day.

Is this a hassle? yes, but when you get to camp it will be dry, warm and cozy.

Panzer

Blue Jay
01-10-2006, 21:45
1)Never had a flea on me on the AT, but I stay away from dogs.
2)Keep wet tents on the outside of your pack. Pack everything else inside the tent, then put the tent in a mesh bag.

MOWGLI
01-10-2006, 21:57
How to avoid parasites? Tell 'em to buy their own friggin' maps. :D

Never had a problem with fleas. Ticks are another story. Chiggers can be a problem in the SE in the summer, especially in tall grass. But I guess I don't need to tell someone from Mississippi about that. :rolleyes:

Up north chiggers are not an issue. In the NE, ticks hang out in the tall grass. Watch yourself closely in NJ, NY, CT & MA. But lyme disease carrying deer ticks can be a problem in VA too. So... check yourself nightly.

minnesotasmith
01-11-2006, 08:10
Easily avoided with a Henry Shires tarptent (with floor and extended beak). The mesh allows for air circulation, while keeping out bugs and rainsplash. It's thin enough to dry out pronto, not to mention doesn't get that heavy while it is wet. I have one and I love it.

stupe
01-11-2006, 23:12
I've worked with dogs for over fifteen years, and I can promise you that there isn't much chance of getting fleas from petting them, even if they have fleas.
People usually get flea bites when they go into flea infested areas, but it's got to be a really bad infestation for the fleas to target humans. They just prefer furry animals better, I think.

minnesotasmith
01-12-2006, 10:04
The way I handle condensation is:
1) pack up the tent in the morning while it is still wet.
2) stop at lunch time and string up the clothes line.
3) hang the tent until it dries, usually about half hour. You eat lunch while it is drying.
4) pack the thing up again for a second time in the same day.

Is this a hassle? yes, but when you get to camp it will be dry, warm and cozy.

Panzer

What general sort of tent do you carry? A tarptent, or something that is more enclosed and heavier/thicker?

khaynie
01-12-2006, 11:03
Fleas? The only place we ran into fleas was in hotel rooms or hostels that allowed dogs. I actually wound up getting chiggers in the Shendoahs. They drove me crazy. If you get them, wash your sleeping bag, clothes, and take a HOT shower. That supposedly kills the exterior ones. Then you just have to wait on the few that are in your skin to die. All in all, it wasn't too bad.