PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy

ChuckT
09-06-2016, 08:52
Backpacker Magazine has published an article (I have _no_ connection, don't even have a subscription (thank God)) about coping with Poison Ivy sensitivity by eating the stuff!
Good lord how irresponsible can you get?
Can somebody please tell those pin - heads to put a cork in it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

FreeGoldRush
09-06-2016, 09:15
Backpacker Magazine has published an article (I have _no_ connection, don't even have a subscription (thank God)) about coping with Poison Ivy sensitivity by eating the stuff!
Good lord how irresponsible can you get?
Can somebody please tell those pin - heads to put a cork in it!

I read the short blurb in Backpacker and it says the exact opposite. They are NOT recommending that you eat it.

ChuckT
09-06-2016, 09:28
Thank god for that.
Still irresponsible.

FreeGoldRush
09-06-2016, 09:45
Thank god for that.
Still irresponsible.

They claim there has been a myth about this and a scientific study to refute it. Why is pointing that out irresponsible?

By the way, I'm kinda new to backpacking and long distance hiking. Is Backpacker magazine not highly thought of?

nsherry61
09-06-2016, 10:10
. . . By the way, I'm kinda new to backpacking and long distance hiking. Is Backpacker magazine not highly thought of?
Backpacker is your typical mainstream market driven hobby magazine.

I find most of the content pretty uninspired or oriented toward people with little or no experience in backpacking. So, I very rarely read it. Once in a while I notice some interesting articles, so I'll pick up a copy and read. I'm normally disappointed, but not always.

For people that don't have a lot of back-country experience, I think reading through a year's worth of content until you start noticing that a huge portion of content is repeated over time, is a worthwhile exercise. I enjoy reading about different areas to hike in even if my taste isn't exactly the same as their's, they have opened my eyes to some trails that I wouldn't have otherwise thought about.

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2016, 10:27
Backpacker is your typical mainstream market driven hobby magazine.

I find most of the content pretty uninspired or oriented toward people with little or no experience in backpacking. So, I very rarely read it. Once in a while I notice some interesting articles, so I'll pick up a copy and read. I'm normally disappointed, but not always.

For people that don't have a lot of back-country experience, I think reading through a year's worth of content until you start noticing that a huge portion of content is repeated over time, is a worthwhile exercise. I enjoy reading about different areas to hike in even if my taste isn't exactly the same as their's, they have opened my eyes to some trails that I wouldn't have otherwise thought about.

+1 There's nothing wrong with the magazine itself, it's just that there is only so much that you can write about backpacking and most people lose interest in gear reviews after they have their own gear dialed in. If you're new you'll probably enjoy it and learn some stuff by reading it for a while, I know I did.

ChuckT
09-06-2016, 11:19
Irresponsible in my own honest opinion because they are using a misleading headline to suggest that eating the plant will make you immune. That crosses the line from reportage to suggestive.
BP was an outstanding magazine at first and I kept my copies of year 1 and 2 for a long time before discarding them. Sadly after that the magazine became repetitive.

Puddlefish
09-06-2016, 12:21
Irresponsible in my own honest opinion because they are using a misleading headline to suggest that eating the plant will make you immune. That crosses the line from reportage to suggestive.
BP was an outstanding magazine at first and I kept my copies of year 1 and 2 for a long time before discarding them. Sadly after that the magazine became repetitive.

I often send Snopes.com links to my mother in law when she's dead wrong about something. Half the time, she'll just skim the headline, and blurt out, "See, even Snopes says I'm right"... completely ignoring the giant red FALSE! banner and resulting explanation. Some people will always read what they want to read.

gsingjane
09-06-2016, 13:43
If someone is reading this because they have an interest in or concern about poison ivy, I did want to recommend a product that actually works, even some time post-exposure. Many of us in the northeast who spend time outdoors eventually run into this nasty stuff, and even a small exposure can ruin a trip. My daughter got a horrible case all over her stomach and chest last summer, and when steroidal cream did not work, and anti-histamines did not work, and she was just about loco with it, we finally broke down and bought the TecNu scrub and spray. It's super-pricey, but it was the only thing that gave her any relief and seemed to jump-start the healing process. My other daughter, who worked on a trail crew last summer, said it was in their first aid kit also, and worked well for them. Just in case you need it which I hope you never do!

Jane

jeffmeh
09-07-2016, 04:17
https://www.meangreen.us/site/products/details/5-Hand+Cleaners/6-Mean+Green+Hand+Scrub

This stuff really works well to remove the urushiol, and is a much better value than products specifically marketed for poison ivy.

jjozgrunt
09-07-2016, 05:12
For a good magazine about mainly the trails I like http://www.trailgroove.com/ . Not much chance I will walk very many of those tracks but love the pics and stories.

Slosteppin
09-07-2016, 19:25
I took Backpacker for several years just for the gear reviews. Then I started to see there were NO negative reviews. About the same time I realized they only reviewed gear that was advertised in the magazine. I decided there must be some connection. So I quit taking the magazine.
Just my opinion.
They do have good pictures and some good articles.

AfterParty
09-07-2016, 19:35
How much poison ivy is along the at?

gsingjane
09-08-2016, 08:59
It really depends on where you are and the time of year. I have seen lots of it on occasion and have gotten it on myself a couple of times. The best thing to do is familiarize yourself with how it looks so you can avoid it. This test http://www.poison-ivy.org/poison-ivy-quiz is a really neat way to practice!

Guyler
09-08-2016, 09:10
Here's my motto when it comes to poison ivy.

ChuckT
09-08-2016, 16:17
TechNu didn't work for me😯

Dogwood
09-08-2016, 16:56
ALWAYS find something interesting or to learn in Backpacker magazine. Perhaps, others know it all?

Thank goodness at least they don't rehash, regurgitate, and are so narrowly focus on one trail or one region to hike.

rmitchell
09-08-2016, 21:27
How much poison ivy is along the at?

Usually don't see it above 4,000 ft elevation. At least in the south.

MuddyWaters
09-08-2016, 21:44
By the way, I'm kinda new to backpacking and long distance hiking. Is Backpacker magazine not highly thought of?

Vast majority of magazines exist by , and to, sell advertising, not prove unbiased content.

There are magazines OWNED by companies just to promote their own products under the guise of appearing as a legitimate mag.

Traveler
09-09-2016, 08:38
ALWAYS find something interesting or to learn in Backpacker magazine. Perhaps, others know it all?

Thank goodness at least they don't rehash, regurgitate, and are so narrowly focus on one trail or one region to hike.

Backpacker may not be for everyone, but I like it because it highlights trails in areas of the US and Canada that I may not necessarily be looking at. While I may not take the trails that are discussed (sometimes do), I can do more trail research in that area and have come up with some wonderful journeys. Their gear evaluation I tend to agree is a little light and never seems to pan any gear, which makes me wonder how much never makes the cut for publication due to it being poorly made. That said, the review has kept me aware of trends or changes in gear that I may be interested in, at least from a distance. I would think its a good resource for people getting into this activity.

Its casual reading certainly. For those who are K-2 bound or doing free hand cliff climbing, its probably not going to hold much interest. But to those who are able to move around the US for work or pleasure, it does provide some areas of potential interest.

Just my $0.02.