PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin pic

John B
09-06-2016, 14:42
I hate heights. This pic looks really dangerous. Is it really like this?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43749&c=574

Is there another trail to the top that's less precarious and more sympathetic to those of us who don't like heights?

Don H
09-06-2016, 14:49
That's Knifes Edge, the trail that leads north form the Northern Terminus of the AT, Katahdin. It is not part of the AT. The Hunt Trail is the AT trail leading to the summit. It is not as bad as Knifes Edge but has parts that might make someone who doesn't like heights uncomfortable.

chknfngrs
09-06-2016, 14:50
Those look like blue blazes.

hikernutcasey
09-06-2016, 14:50
I hate heights. This pic looks really dangerous. Is it really like this?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43749&c=574

Is there another trail to the top that's less precarious and more sympathetic to those of us who don't like heights?That's Knife's Edge which is not on the A.T. if I'm not mistaken.

peakbagger
09-06-2016, 15:30
Yes the Saddle trail is lot less visually threatening as its in a ravine with visual clues on each side. I never thought the AT (Hunt trail) was bad for folks with height issues but I took someone who freaked out on it a few years ago. Nowhere near the exposure of Knife Edge.

John B
09-06-2016, 17:46
Does the Visitor's Center or whatever it's called at Katahdin post warnings, pics of precarious sections, or similar notices about these trails? If not, I'd guess there is a definite percentage of hikers who start up the trail, see the cliffs, drop offs, etc., and turn around at that point. If sections of the trails are similar to the picture, then I'll never make it to the top. That's just the way it is. I didn't do Dragon's Tooth, either.

Rain Man
09-06-2016, 18:21
I didn't do Dragon's Tooth, either.

Nor did I. The Dragon's Tooth isn't part of the AT. Just as the Knife's Edge isn't part of the AT.

TJ aka Teej
09-06-2016, 18:54
If sections of the trails are similar to the picture, then I'll never make it to the top. That's just the way it is.
The AT follows the Hunt Trail up Katahdin. I first went up at 6, and have climbed it via that trail 2-3 times a year ever since. My kids all have been up the Hunt several times, starting up age eight. It's a safe trail, up a great mountain.
But that's us, not you. Go ahead and climb up, and when you get past tree line, make the decision that's best for you.

Hangfire
09-06-2016, 19:31
I remember the morning I headed up to summit Katahdin, there were lots of thru hikers finishing that day and lots of family members wishing to join them for their finish. One of the first of these family groups I encountered I watched the dad fall backwards down a big rock and land on his back, and this was still below tree line. As a thru hiker, injured or not you become kind of a machine and can pretty much scamper up anything to continue on, but I realized in seeing this man fall down that if in fact you weren't into scrambling, you probably shouldn't be heading up there. I'm not sure I would rate it the most difficult climb on the AT but no cake walk for sure.

rafe
09-06-2016, 20:58
I climbed the Knife Edge on Katahdin twice, back in the 1980s. I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to do it again. The AT up Katahdin is much more sedate, though still a workout.