PDA

View Full Version : Pocket knife of Multi tool for hiking?

Dogginfox
01-10-2006, 18:46
Just wondering what a majority of people take with them when they are hiking

MisterSweetie
01-10-2006, 18:49
Leatherman Micra. But I now have a Leatherman Squirt S4, so I'll be taking that now. It's much more user friendly than the micra.

Mags
01-10-2006, 19:09
The smallest swiss army knife and an old C-rat can opener.

Total cost? Less than $10. total weight: Less than .65 oz.

Shutterbug
01-10-2006, 19:16
I like the small size Swiss Army kife that has one sharp blade, one screw driver, scissors, tweezers and a built-in ball point pen.

Footslogger
01-10-2006, 19:28
I like the small size Swiss Army kife that has one sharp blade, one screw driver, scissors, tweezers and a built-in ball point pen.
=====================================
Mine didn't have the ballpoint pen but otherwise that's what I carried on my thru and it served me well.

'Slogger

Zzzzdyd
01-10-2006, 19:35
Swiss Army knife with a old Army P-38 Can Opener in my diddybag for those cans of peaches, etc. that I will have at the store when I hit the stores for resupplies.

A good sewing needle with some good thread and a few matches can come in real handy too. :-?

Mags
01-10-2006, 19:40
A good sewing needle with some good thread and a few matches can come in real handy too. :-?

I like to put a large needle and dental floss in my bounce box for that reason. Dental floss makes wonderful thread for repairing packs.

Big Dawg
01-10-2006, 19:47
Leatherman Micra. But I now have a Leatherman Squirt S4, so I'll be taking that now........... It's much more user friendly than the micra.
How, why???

C_Brice
01-10-2006, 19:59
This just my 2 cent. I do not mean to offend anyone. I am an avid outdoorsman. Spend many days in the field humping lots of clothes and gear for miles (Carheart overalls and day pack included). I wear "who know's how heavy" Sorel pacboots. The total weight would make an ultra-lighter crap just lookin at it. Also I have never thru hiked the AT (or any of our other great trails) and never will. But....

Any book on the outdoors and survival will tell you the most important item you can carry is your knife. DO NOT SKIMP OUNCES ON YOUR KNIFE! I always carry a full size pocket tool and a full size Kershaw folding knife, everyday, all day. I work on my feet. Up down ladders, etc. I never notice the weight.
When in the field I trade the folder for a 5" blade Kabar. There are plentry of high quality knives that cost less than $10 (the mora for example) and even more that weigh less than 6 oz. Gerber makes a 4" fixed blade knife they sell thru Wal-mart for less than $25 that weighs 4 oz. My Kabar weighs 8 oz. but it will never fail me when I need it.

I relize this goes against the "go lite at all cost" thinkin that many hikers have but....

Well you get the picture.

Enjoy,
Chris

Footslogger
01-10-2006, 20:13
[quote=C_Brice]Any book on the outdoors and survival will tell you the most important item you can carry is your knife. DO NOT SKIMP OUNCES ON YOUR KNIFE!
====================================
I think it's more than skimping on ounces or trying to go light. To me it comes down to whether or not you really feel like you need it or you'll actually use it. But hey ...that's what's so great about hiking. If you're willing to carry it then that's all that matters.

'Slogger

Panzer1
01-10-2006, 20:20
When in the field I trade the folder for a 5" blade Kabar. There are plentry of high quality knives that cost less than $10 (the mora for example) and even more that weigh less than 6 oz. Gerber makes a 4" fixed blade knife they sell thru Wal-mart for less than $25 that weighs 4 oz. My Kabar weighs 8 oz. but it will never fail me when I need it.

The Kabar is/was the official knife of the US Marine corps. It has one main purpose, to kill people. I really don't think you will need to do that while on the AT. What were you thinking of doing with this knife?

Panzer

Animal Man
01-10-2006, 21:07
The Kabar is/was the official knife of the US Marine corps. It has one main purpose, to kill people. I really don't think you will need to do that while on the AT. What were you thinking of doing with this knife?

Panzer

I think the Kbar is more of a life saving tool, than a life taking one, That is why it is issued the the Marines and to Air Force pilot who are most likely to need them for a survial tool.

Animal Man

athiker75
01-10-2006, 21:56
It was one particular long night at an AT shelter that convinced me that I would never carry a 2" pocket knife again. There's nothing more rediculous than the sight of a black bear sniffling around outside the shelter and 4 grown men sitting up in their sleeping bags, shaking, holding their 2 inch pocket knives. I now carry a 5" tactical blade, meant to kill bears if need be. Call me crazy

Valmet
01-10-2006, 22:02
I have a Buck caper that I have had for I think going on 20 years. It is a wonderful knife that they don't make anymore and is quite expensive if you can find one. What I like about it is a handle that fits my hand and the blade is just like a small folding knife. Since some one mentioned a K-bar, I do carry one once in a while. My brother was given one by a Ranger group that he was assigned to and he gave it to me one Christmas, he passed in 1997. We used to hike together, only carry it on short weekend trips.

SteveJ
01-10-2006, 22:25
Just wondering what a majority of people take with them when they are hiking

leatherman squirt S4. 2 ozs, with blade, scissors, tweezers, and screwdrivers....

'course, the tactical folding knife my brother gave me for christmas only weighs 6 ozs or so..... ;^)

Steve

betic4lyf
01-10-2006, 23:13
i usually take a laser.

Why did the girl fall of the swing?

because she didn't have any arms

hikerjohnd
01-10-2006, 23:34
leatherman squirt S4

C_Brice
01-10-2006, 23:39
Panzrer,
You are half right. The original marine Kabar was called a fighting knife. But thats where things go wrong in your assumption.

I will garentee that EVERY soldier that carried one used it for many other things like shelter building, digging, opening cans, etc.

I'll bet MOST soldiers NEVER used it as killing device. A knife is kind of "last ditch" in most combat roles.

Also, the version I have is the 5" blade version. Not the 7 or 8" blade (over 11" overall length) version that was issued durring WW2 and Veitnam. While not the greatest "slicer" in the world it is a great camp knife. It also works real nice to skin deer, clean small game and birds, gut and and remove heads from fish, etc.

Three reasons I replace the Kershaw with the Kabar when in the field is the fixed blade, garenteed durability, and I have lost two folders in the woods when using the pocket clip.

No one has ever denied the durability of the Kabar. Ask anyone who had to use them on a daily basis.

Chris

MisterSweetie
01-10-2006, 23:40
Leatherman Micra. But I now have a Leatherman Squirt S4, so I'll be taking that now. It's much more user friendly than the micra.

How, why???To access any non-scissor apparatus of the Micra, the entire unit had to be opened, exposing the scissors and then the kinfe or can opener or whatever could be reached. It was a useless step. With the Squirt, the only time the unit has to be opened is when one wants to access the scissors. Any other apparatus can be accessed from the outside of the unit.
Also, while still practically useless, the tweezers on the Squirt are much more useable. The micra has attached tweezers, but the Squirt's tweezers are much like Swiss Army tweezers, except that they're metal.

ScottP
01-10-2006, 23:42
If you buy a lightweight multitool, I would recommend buying a scissor model over a pliers model. The pliers on my leatherman squirt were somewhat flimsy and the tool warped over time.

sliderule
01-11-2006, 00:10
I now carry a 5" tactical blade, meant to kill bears if need be. Call me crazy

"Crazy" somehow seems grossly inadequate.

Mouse
01-11-2006, 00:25
I'm another member of the Swiss Army knife plus P-38 club. And no, I'm not knife adverse. When at sea sailing a square-rigged ship I carry a big Myerchin rigging knife with heavy serated blade. There I need it in case I have to cut through a heavy line in a hurry. But on the Trail I am a gram-weenie.

No bears tried to eat me, even with my tiny knife.

Heater
01-11-2006, 06:28

I have a Squirt C4. (C for corkscrew S for Scissors)
Gotta have a corkscrew! :jump

LIhikers
01-11-2006, 08:57

Instead of thread you can use dental floss for making repairs. That way the dental floss becomes a dual purpose item. Just make sure the sewing needle has a large enough eye for the floss.

Mags
01-11-2006, 11:19
[quote=C_Brice]Any book on the outdoors and survival will tell you the most important item you can carry is your knife. DO NOT SKIMP OUNCES ON YOUR KNIFE!
====================================
I think it's more than skimping on ounces or trying to go light. To me it comes down to whether or not you really feel like you need it or you'll actually use it. But hey ...that's what's so great about hiking. If you're willing to carry it then that's all that matters.

'Slogger
Yep, that is why I carry the simple knife. Never had the need for anything else. I have a shelter, my clothing and food. Not sure if I need a knife meant for killing people. :)

FWIW, I wear the Pac-boots in the winter when snowshoeing. Toasty!

Mags
01-11-2006, 11:27
I. I now carry a 5" tactical blade, meant to kill bears if need be. Call me crazy

Not sure how a 5" knife would work againist 300 lbs of muscle, teeth and claw as well! :)

True story: I was cooking dinner in No. Cal. See a large hump in the woods. A face then pokes out. Less than 15 ft away, Mr. Bear looks at me while I am eating dinner. Put me on edge to say the least....

Mags
01-11-2006, 11:30
No bears tried to eat me, even with my tiny knife.

When I was about to do the AT, people were very worried bears eating me. (?)

My stock reply was "I hear bears don't like Italian food. Gives them indigestion". :)

Of course, if people don't know my last name the joke does not make as much sense. ;)

Lost Soul
01-11-2006, 12:07
My leatherman micra as served me well on both thruhikes. You cant beat the scissors on this knife and I have yet to find a better all around knife. I still use it often and it still has a blue ribbon attached to it. I had to add that after it was lost in the bottom of my pack for a week on the PCT and I ordered another one. Are the squirt scissors as good as the micra or are they the cheap spring type model on swiss army knifes?

Mouse
01-11-2006, 12:46
I was surprised at how well the scissors on my tiny swiss army knife worked. They ended up the single most used tool on my knife. They certainly share credit with my boots for my getting through with no lost toenails, as well as cutting moleskin, paper, consumer-proof food packages and you-name-it. And they and the knife kept their edge right through to the end.

[giggle] I wonder if it was because I chose the purple one instead of the more common red variety? Impossible! Still...........

longshank
01-11-2006, 12:52
I carry a gerber nautilus multi tool.

Mags
01-11-2006, 13:24
Since it is the bicentenial of the Lewis and Clark expedition, I'm doing the CDT this year (knock on wood..I'm even growing my beard back. :D), and I'm a history geek, been reading much about the L&C journey. Now there's a journey!

Anyway...there is one part that made me chuckle.

Lewis, being young (31), confident in himself and his men's abilities was not too worried about this bear the natives talked about. Ursus Horriblis - better known as the grizzly bear. The corps had much faith in their Kentucky rifles. Afterall, they were superior to bows and castoff British rifles the natives used, right?

His first journal entry upon hearing about the griz (april 29th, 2005)

"The Indians may well fear this animal equiped as they generally are with their bows and arrows or indifferent fuzees, but in the hands of skillfull riflemen they are by no means as formidable or dangerous as they have been represented."

(They had just shot a smaller griz after firing several shots)

After several encounters (where there shots merely POd the much larger adult grizzes at first, having to swim away from the griz, the men dropping the rifle in fright, etc.)

Lewis had this line to say:

"I find that the curiosity of our party is pretty well satisfied with respect to this animal."

:)
Not sure if they tried knives!

Anyway, just a little history that I found amusing.

Kerosene
01-11-2006, 13:49
Buck Mini-Tool (1 oz) containing:
Pliers
Blade (1.25")
Scissors
Bottle opener
Tweezers
Screwdriver
Nail file
Ruler

Plus a mini can-opener if I think I'll need it (< 1 oz).

icemanat95
01-11-2006, 14:07

Panzer

Not even half right on that one. The Kabar is a combat utility knife. It's intended purpose is utility tasks in a combat environment where other tools may not be available. As a result it is meant as an all around beater knife for opening cans, breaking windows, chopping firewood from limbs, constructing overhead protection for makeshift defensive positions, etc. Fighting is a tertiary purpose and only if things have really gone sideways on you.

As a fighting knife, the Marine KaBar is a pretty poor choice. the big swept point is OK for slashes, but since the blade has so little real mass, it's likely to have difficulty slashing through most standard combat clothing. That same swept point and clipped "bowie" style false edge at the back makes it a pretty poor stabber (which is where knives really excel as fighting tools). An Applegate Fairbairn or Sykes-Fairbairn dagger is a far better choice in this regard, having a nice taper and sharp edges on both sides to slice through.

As a fighting knife, there are many knives I'd choose before a Marine Corps Kabar. It probably wouldn't take too long to count all the Marines who have used their kabars in combat since the knife was introduced. But practically every one could tell you of a dozen different tasks he performed around a camp or defensive position with his trusty Kabar.

That said, it wouldn't be my choice for a hiking trip unless I was bushwhacking or otherwise doing some survival camping, and then I might choose something else altogether.

My hiking choice is a full size swiss army knife with a number of tools in it and a good set of scissors (for moleskin). I also tend to carry my Emerson CQC7A utility folder, simply because it is my daily carry knife and I don't like leaving it behind at the trailhead or whatever...it's a fairly expensive knife.

MisterSweetie
01-11-2006, 14:12
My leatherman micra as served me well on both thruhikes. You cant beat the scissors on this knife and I have yet to find a better all around knife. I still use it often and it still has a blue ribbon attached to it. I had to add that after it was lost in the bottom of my pack for a week on the PCT and I ordered another one. Are the squirt scissors as good as the micra or are they the cheap spring type model on swiss army knifes?I'll agree about the Micra scissors. I've always been satisfied with them. The Squirt is the same design (to my eyes and feel), so if you liked the micra you'll probably like the Squirt. I think the blades on the scissors are slightly shorter.

I came about the Squirt S4 the same way as you... My micra was displaced (slid out of my pocket in my girl's miata and lost for about a year), and I had to replace it. I carried it all the time, but now the Squirt is with me all the time. Either is great, but I promise you you'll love having access to the kinfe et al without having to open the scissors.

KirkMcquest
01-11-2006, 14:27
Not even half right on that one. The Kabar is a combat utility knife. It's intended purpose is utility tasks in a combat environment where other tools may not be available. As a result it is meant as an all around beater knife for opening cans, breaking windows, chopping firewood from limbs, constructing overhead protection for makeshift defensive positions, etc. Fighting is a tertiary purpose and only if things have really gone sideways on you.

As a fighting knife, the Marine KaBar is a pretty poor choice. the big swept point is OK for slashes, but since the blade has so little real mass, it's likely to have difficulty slashing through most standard combat clothing. That same swept point and clipped "bowie" style false edge at the back makes it a pretty poor stabber (which is where knives really excel as fighting tools). An Applegate Fairbairn or Sykes-Fairbairn dagger is a far better choice in this regard, having a nice taper and sharp edges on both sides to slice through.

As a fighting knife, there are many knives I'd choose before a Marine Corps Kabar. It probably wouldn't take too long to count all the Marines who have used their kabars in combat since the knife was introduced. But practically every one could tell you of a dozen different tasks he performed around a camp or defensive position with his trusty Kabar.

Any knife can be a very effective killing tool. A pencil can be used to kill if that is the users intention. Its perfectly reasonable to want some measure of protection on the trail, where attacks ( however rare) can and do happen

Mags
01-11-2006, 14:29
[quote=icemanat95As a result it is meant as an all around beater knife for opening cans, .[/quote]

From a classic Willie and Joe cartoon:

"Hey, didja know that your can opener fits on the end of your rifle?"

(referring to the bayonet)

Alas, I can't find the cartoon online.

A good link to get the flavor of these sardoinc soldiers.
http://ww2.pstripes.osd.mil/02/nov02/mauldin/

Suspsect modern soldiers still grouse about bad food, mud and officers.

Mags
01-11-2006, 14:33
Any knife can be a very effective killing tool. A pencil can be used to kill if that is the users intention. Its perfectly reasonable to want some measure of protection on the trail, where attacks ( however rare) can and do happen

A hiking pole/staff is far a more effective weapon for someone not trained in how to use a knife for fighting.

Most of us have the best protection of all: Your brain. Use it! :)

KirkMcquest
01-11-2006, 14:34
Not sure how a 5" knife would work againist 300 lbs of muscle, teeth and claw

In '04 a 15 year old was attacked by a grizzly bear, who tried to pull him into the nearby woods. The boy began furiously punching the bear and fighting the bear. The bear was successfully repelled. This is without a knife, against a GRIZZLY. Do not underestimate a good blade.

KirkMcquest
01-11-2006, 14:40
A hiking pole/staff is far a more effective weapon for someone not trained in how to use a knife for fighting.

Most of us have the best protection of all: Your brain. Use it! :)

A pole is not a more effective weapon than a knife. It would be very difficult to kill anything with a pole ( especially a light aluminum trekking pole which will bend) No doubt your brain is an excellent weapon because its impervious to damage, most of us don'y have that luxury

Zzzzdyd
01-11-2006, 14:48
I like to put a large needle and dental floss in my bounce box for that reason. Dental floss makes wonderful thread for repairing packs.

Instead of thread you can use dental floss for making repairs. That way the dental floss becomes a dual purpose item. Just make sure the sewing needle has a large enough eye for the floss.

I use a #9 Sewing machine needle and #40 blend heavy duty thread. I don't need nor use "dental floss", but it's a great idea if one does...:o

Back on the topic: My contribution " Wenger Esquire Swiss Army Knife" was really directed toward the AT thru-hiker, which is what I am currently planning and is where my thinking is at. I carried to great satisfaction a Buck Pathfinder during my one year tour in Vietnam, but would personally consider that knife over kill for AT hiking. I also have a micra-tool that I use for week-enders and canoeing, but IMHO it's overkill for the AT. One needs to remember as much as one may feel your really out in the boonies while hiking the AT, in reality except for the infamous 100 mile wilderness in Maine one is rarely more than a days hike from a road, etc, and help. Besides my micra doesn't have anything my Esquire doesn't have that I 'really' need. This being said, if I could only afford either the leatherman micra or the Wenger Esquire I would get the micra and live with the extra 1 1/2 oz's.

nuff said :cool:

Mags
01-11-2006, 14:57
I use a #9 Sewing machine needle and #40 blend heavy duty thread. I don't need nor use "dental floss", but it's a great idea if one does...:o

It's cheap and it works well. Plus I always have it in my house. :)

It is how I just repaired my very worn day pack. Can't get rid of old gear until it is absolutely falling apart..right? ;)

Mags
01-11-2006, 14:59
A pole is not a more effective weapon than a knife. It would be very difficult to kill anything with a pole ( especially a light aluminum trekking pole which will bend) No doubt your brain is an excellent weapon because its impervious to damage, most of us don'y have that luxury

Why get sarcastic? Sheesh.

I was just saying it is better to use your head so you don' get into trouble in the first place. Equipment will never replace knowledge.

Anyone, I said a pole was better for someone who does not know how to use a knife to fight. Not for killing..cripe! Sharp point jabbed into a person will usually get the message across. I sure as heck don't want to get within a few inches of people to swing a knife. ;)

Mags
01-11-2006, 15:05
In '04 a 15 year old was attacked by a grizzly bear, who tried to pull him into the nearby woods. The boy began furiously punching the bear and fighting the bear. The bear was successfully repelled. This is without a knife, against a GRIZZLY. Do not underestimate a good blade.

That's the exception that proved the rule I am afraid.

f people who have far more experience in the backcountry than all of us combined had trouble, I think it is safe to say that a knife, for the most part, would not be effective against a bear

Anyway, are we doing the AT or stalking grizzly's in the bush? :)

I'd very surprised to see a survivial situation where I need a huge knife on the AT. Again, use your head. It is the best piece of hiking equipment.

KirkMcquest
01-11-2006, 15:11
Why get sarcastic? Sheesh.

I was just saying it is better to use your head so you don' get into trouble in the first place. Equipment will never replace knowledge.

Anyone, I said a pole was better for someone who does not know how to use a knife to fight. Not for killing..cripe! Sharp point jabbed into a person will usually get the message across. I sure as heck don't want to get within a few inches of people to swing a knife. ;)

Sorry for the sarcasm, just a knee jerk reaction. I was refering to a situation where people have serious intentions;)

longshank
01-11-2006, 15:31
That's the exception that proved the rule I am afraid.

f people who have far more experience in the backcountry than all of us combined had trouble, I think it is safe to say that a knife, for the most part, would not be effective against a bear

Anyway, are we doing the AT or stalking grizzly's in the bush? :)

I'd very surprised to see a survivial situation where I need a huge knife on the AT. Again, use your head. It is the best piece of hiking equipment.
It's better to have a knife and not need it than to need it and not have it. Besides, I hear southern hillbillys can get mighty ornery, 'specially during the rutt.

Big Dawg
01-11-2006, 18:09
True story: I was cooking dinner in No. Cal. See a large hump in the woods. A face then pokes out. Less than 15 ft away, Mr. Bear looks at me while I am eating dinner. Put me on edge to say the least....
Don't just leave us hanging....... ,,, surely "Mr Bear" didn't just leave,,, & that was it?? :-?

Mags
01-11-2006, 18:19
Don't just leave us hanging....... ,,, surely "Mr Bear" didn't just leave,,, & that was it?? :-?

Well, the bear would not go away. Looked me at like a curioius dog would. Kept on moving its head back and forth. Threw rocks, banged my pot. Etc. So, I just finished eating. He (she?) did not leave until I packed up. The bear just kind of shrugged and walked away. I then continued my hike down the trail. Was going to take a picture, but did not know if the flash would startle the bear. Would have made a great pic, though. :)

Made for an interesting dinner.

Big Dawg
01-11-2006, 18:22
Made for an interesting dinner.

To say the least! :D

Panzer1
01-11-2006, 22:56
As a fighting knife, the Marine KaBar is a pretty poor choice. the big swept point is OK for slashes, but since the blade has so little real mass, it's likely to have difficulty slashing through most standard combat clothing. That same swept point and clipped "bowie" style false edge at the back makes it a pretty poor stabber (which is where knives really excel as fighting tools).
The Ka-Bar knife was produced by the Union Cutlery Company of Olean, New York. Founded in 1898, the company established the Ka-Bar tradmark after a fur trapper wrote in broken English that he had killed a bear, written "k a bar", with one of their knives.

I hope this settels the KA-Bar debate.

Panzer

tiamalle
01-12-2006, 01:33
Just wondering what a majority of people take with them when they are hikingDogginfox Everyone needs to carry a knife
everday.It's a tool you need eveyday.:D

NICKTHEGREEK
01-12-2006, 10:10
Panzrer,
You are half right. The original marine Kabar was called a fighting knife. But thats where things go wrong in your assumption.

I will garentee that EVERY soldier that carried one used it for many other things like shelter building, digging, opening cans, etc.

I'll bet MOST soldiers NEVER used it as killing device. A knife is kind of "last ditch" in most combat roles.

Also, the version I have is the 5" blade version. Not the 7 or 8" blade (over 11" overall length) version that was issued durring WW2 and Veitnam. While not the greatest "slicer" in the world it is a great camp knife. It also works real nice to skin deer, clean small game and birds, gut and and remove heads from fish, etc.

Three reasons I replace the Kershaw with the Kabar when in the field is the fixed blade, garenteed durability, and I have lost two folders in the woods when using the pocket clip.

No one has ever denied the durability of the Kabar. Ask anyone who had to use them on a daily basis.

Chris

I used to carry my old Camillus # 5733 Pilot's survival Knife, used it extensively in 4 military survival schools, and never felt comfortable in the woods without it. There wasn't much you couldn't do with it and in a survival situation it's my first pick. I wouldn't walk a foot from the trail head without it in the wilderness.
Would I carry it on the 90% of the AT? nope, because the AT while many things, largely ain't even close to being the wilderness.

Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I like a mid sized multi-tool like a Juice in my pack, and a smallish folder like a Benchmade 960 in my pocket.

Red
01-12-2006, 10:43
I used to carry my old Camillus # 5733 Pilot's survival Knife, used it extensively in 4 military survival schools, and never felt comfortable in the woods without it. There wasn't much you couldn't do with it and in a survival situation it's my first pick. I wouldn't walk a foot from the trail head without it in the wilderness. i have the same knife and love it.

I usually carry a Leatherman Micra and a small Buck Woodsman 4" straight blade knife & sheath on my outdoor trips.

The Desperado
01-12-2006, 11:17
A nice little swiss army knive, their great...dont warp, clean easy..veery handy!

Animal Man
01-12-2006, 11:24
Leatherman has just came out with a folding knife that looks pretty sturdy. it just has a blade and a screw bit holder. ems wants 110 for it but rie has it for 70 I think I might give this knife a try this summer.

Joe

Red
01-12-2006, 11:36
Leatherman has just came out with a folding knife that looks pretty sturdy. it just has a blade and a screw bit holder. ems wants 110 for it but rie has it for 70 I think I might give this knife a try this summer.

Joe
i just looked it up and it looks pretty cool.

i'll have to check that one out...

Uncle Silly
01-12-2006, 11:38

Well, hiking poles don't come to mind when I think of stuff with potential weapon applications (unless you count those mock lightsaber duels at the shelters), but hiking staves do, and I daresay they are as effective a weapon as a knife. (As a general weapon -- certainly both will have strong suits, eg, a staff doesn't slit throats well, and knives aren't the best for bashing in skulls.)

A solid staff is a great defensive weapon. Imagine being attacked by someone weilding a knife. All you've got is your trusty hiking staff. Anyone can swing it like a club or bat, and the reach means you have the advantage. If you have any martial arts skill, you'll be able to disarm the knife-weilder (smack the hand weilding the knife, and the knife will drop).

As to the original question, I carry the leatherman Squirt P4 (I need the pliers for the wire cutters -- for changing mandolin strings -- and I've always found that I'd rather use a blade than those silly teensy scissors on other models) and a nice serrated Spyderco lockblade. And a 5' wooden staff for walking and emergency defensive weapon. Even though the Squirt is more flexible, I'd give it up before the Spyderco. I'm a believer in always having a knife Just In Case. (And for an offensive weapon, the Spyderco duct-taped to the staff would make a handy spear in a way the Squirt just wouldn't....)

KirkMcquest
01-12-2006, 11:55
Well, hiking poles don't come to mind when I think of stuff with potential weapon applications (unless you count those mock lightsaber duels at the shelters), but hiking staves do, and I daresay they are as effective a weapon as a knife. (As a general weapon -- certainly both will have strong suits, eg, a staff doesn't slit throats well, and knives aren't the best for bashing in skulls

A solid staff is a great defensive weapon. Imagine being attacked by someone weilding a knife. All you've got is your trusty hiking staff. Anyone can swing it like a club or bat, and the reach means you have the advantage. If you have any martial arts skill, you'll be able to disarm the knife-weilder (smack the hand weilding the knife, and the knife will drop).
So true, it might even keep you from having to explain why there are a couple of carved up hillbilly psycho carcases near your tent

UCONNMike
01-12-2006, 11:59
Leatherman Micra...that's all you will need, trust me. Anything else is overkill

johnny quest
01-12-2006, 14:25
i carried the u.s.m.c. kabar almost every day when i was in. it makes a great hammer, shovel and prybar. it has no moving parts to become gunked up with dirt or rusted. it will open a can when you cant find your john wayne (p-38) and even has made a fairly satisfying throwing hook on the end of a line. i still have my original issue one as well as two engraved ones on my love-me wall. it is a fine fine tool.

for killing folks however you cant beat the south korean bayonet. it is like the one we used before they got that rediculous wire cutting piece of crap, but much longer. it was made for handling mobs.

if i was hiking the p.c.t. or in a real wilderness i would consider my kabar. again, its a wonderful tool. but on the a. t. i imagine i will carry some sort of small multitool. i prefer wenger swiss army over victorinox swiss army... their scissors are better. the leatherman micra is ok, but not a real improvement over the small swiss. havent tried the squirt.

at work i have my super leatherman. its a badass.

Mags
01-12-2006, 15:05
if i was hiking the p.c.t. or in a real wilderness i would consider my kabar.

FWIW, done the PCT and the Colorado Trail with the swiss classic + p38. Hope to do the CDT with the same setup.

Then again, perhaps I am taking chances..or just plain lazy..or both. :)

johnny quest
01-12-2006, 15:22
well, i dont want to be negative...but my experience in hiking the west is that pot growers like to plant in national and state parks....and dont like when you stumble across their stuff. and a big knife or stick can make the difference (visually at least) is a stand off on the trail. my kabar...or maybe it was how i smelled...convinced two 17 year old ne'er do wells to just walk the f*** away.

Vi+
01-12-2006, 19:27
The problem seems to me, in comparing a knife with a multi-tool, you are comparing something which is designed simply to cut with another thing which is designed to do several things.

I have looked at, and fondled, many of the popular multi-tools. I own a few, including one - Laguiole Multi-Tool - I didn’t realize they made and haven’t seen elsewhere. (I don’t think their multi-tool is suitable for hiking.)

The multi-tools I have seen are lightweight (not all) and small (not all), and handy to do a lot of things. Ask yourself, am I likely to actually need to do those things? Fact: The multi-tool isn’t going to perform as well as a “real” single-function tool. If you’re home or at work, poor tool performance isn’t that much of a problem; you just put down your multi-tool and get the real thing. If you’re deep in the woods when your multi-tool fails and actually NEED to accomplish something, and it needs to be done RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT NOW, you will wish you carried the real thing.

Except for a few models - two, at last check - Leatherman multi-tools are completely made from soft steel. Two of their four knife models have 154 CM stainless steel blades as do very few multi-tools.

The Leatherman squirt “P” model has interesting small pliers, but they don’t appear to be very strong. Alternatively, a small Channel Lock plier weighs an ounce, while a larger and heavier-duty Snap-On Tools plier weighs two ounces.

The Leatherman Micra has an impressive scissor - but that’s about it. The scissor is built to do tougher things than I’ll ever use it for. A heavy-duty toenail scissor weighs four-tenths of an ounce.

The combined weight of an aluminum bottle opener and large P-38 can opener is half an ounce.

I own more than a few knives. I have paid from a few dollars to several hundred dollars for knives.

There is a trade-off in knives. A folding blade (“pocket”) knife is not as strong as a fixed blade (or, “sheath”) knife. The pocket knife is smaller and often more convenient to carry. Solidly made folding knives weigh more than a fixed blade knife with a blade of the same length. A small enough fixed blade knife can also be carried in a pocket, using a pocket sheath.

If you’re fastidious about your appearance - must keep your nails clean and hate loose threads hanging off your clothing - and the only other thing you can think of using a knife for is cut the string / tape on your mail drops, by all means carry the Swiss Army Knife “Classic” model.

I consider a knife which can be useful for living in the woods - hiking / backpacking - a “woods knife.” If you believe you may actually NEED a knife, get a knife; a real one.

A Camillus Arclite “Cuda” fixed 3 1/8" blade knife weighs 2.8 ounces (3.3 ounces with the pocket sheath). This model is, or at least was, available in both a stainless steel and D-2 Steel, a very hard and terrific-cutting non-stainless knife steel.

Pare away all the weight you can. After paring away the weight, go back and restore the “real” things you might desperately need.

Panzer1
01-14-2006, 21:17
As a fighting knife, the Marine KaBar is a pretty poor choice. the big swept point is OK for slashes, but since the blade has so little real mass, it's likely to have difficulty slashing through most standard combat clothing.

I would like to challenge you on this icemanat95. How can you expect to tell me that a sharp pointed knife will have difficulty going thru combat clothing? What is your source of this information? Aren't you exaggerating here some?

Panzer

Rainman
01-14-2006, 21:37
This is what I carry. 0.7 oz. http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/198/237

weary
01-14-2006, 22:29
It was one particular long night at an AT shelter that convinced me that I would never carry a 2" pocket knife again. There's nothing more rediculous than the sight of a black bear sniffling around outside the shelter and 4 grown men sitting up in their sleeping bags, shaking, holding their 2 inch pocket knives. I now carry a 5" tactical blade, meant to kill bears if need be. Call me crazy
Carry whatever you like, but in 75 years of AT history, I don't recall of anyone needing a special knife to kill an attacking bear. In fact, I don't recall any bears killing AT hikers, whether or not they had a knife.

Weary

Panzer1
01-15-2006, 00:49
Carry whatever you like, but in 75 years of AT history, I don't recall of anyone needing a special knife to kill an attacking bear. In fact, I don't recall any bears killing AT hikers, whether or not they had a knife.
Weary

I think it is really more of a macho thing, or a desire to make themselves feel more secure by making those around them feel more insecure.

Panzer

Panzer1
01-15-2006, 01:20
I think the Kbar is more of a life saving tool, than a life taking one, That is why it is issued the the Marines and to Air Force pilot who are most likely to need them for a survial tool.
Animal Man

In the WWII movie "Heaven Knows, Mr Allison" (1957) with Robert Mitchum, he plays a US Marine stranded alone on an Pacific island with a nun. He kills a Japnese soldier with his Kabar knife, his only weapon, and then holds off the rest of the Japnese army. If it is a survival tool that he survived by killing his enemy with it.

Panzer

smokymtnsteve
01-15-2006, 01:23
didn't mr allison also crave a comb for the nun?

Panzer1
01-15-2006, 01:30
didn't mr allison also crave a comb for the nun?

Yes, he had a "thing" for her.

Panzer

MrToad
02-16-2006, 12:58
Leatherman Micra 1.75 oz(it has replaced tweezers, and other items)
P-38 (old habit, can't quit)

and a Swedish Mora From Ragnar's. 4" of blade, red painted birch handle
The blade is about 11/16" wide and .105 thick. The weight with the plastic sheath is about 2.50 ounces.
No wet leather, and very durable. They are about $14 bucks.
These are the basic knife over there, and it is wonderful.

Could I kill a bear with it, sure, if I whittle a cross bow, twisting my dental floss for the draw string, taking my duct tape to assemble, mounting the knife to a bolt, and asking the bear to hold a profile for a second <g> With the lightness of the knife, I can also run quicker than the average day hiker.

I do carry it for whittling on my hiking staff (with rubber crutch tip) or just playing around.
I carry a small wood burning stove, so a nice little fixed knife is nice to have. and badgers, one must always beware of the angry badgers...

When it comes to knives, it is such a personal thing, it all comes down to what makes you happy.

tsali
02-16-2006, 13:16

I don't think you are crazy at all. if in the rare case one had to fight off a bear or big cat or a mouse, a blade that does not lock will cause extreme pain to the fingers when the blade folds up on them. I carry the gerber river type knife. it is always there for me mainly for misc. things, but i don't want to be eaten by anything so i am going to keep carrying it.

sparky2000
02-16-2006, 15:30
Why not a box knife?

The Cheat
02-16-2006, 17:21
Since it is the bicentenial of the Lewis and Clark expedition, I'm doing the CDT this year (knock on wood..I'm even growing my beard back. :D), and I'm a history geek, been reading much about the L&C journey. Now there's a journey!

Anyway...there is one part that made me chuckle.

Lewis, being young (31), confident in himself and his men's abilities was not too worried about this bear the natives talked about. Ursus Horriblis - better known as the grizzly bear. The corps had much faith in their Kentucky rifles. Afterall, they were superior to bows and castoff British rifles the natives used, right?

His first journal entry upon hearing about the griz (april 29th, 2005)

"The Indians may well fear this animal equiped as they generally are with their bows and arrows or indifferent fuzees, but in the hands of skillfull riflemen they are by no means as formidable or dangerous as they have been represented."

(They had just shot a smaller griz after firing several shots)

After several encounters (where there shots merely POd the much larger adult grizzes at first, having to swim away from the griz, the men dropping the rifle in fright, etc.)

Lewis had this line to say:

"I find that the curiosity of our party is pretty well satisfied with respect to this animal."

:)
Not sure if they tried knives!

Anyway, just a little history that I found amusing.

Perfect. If a bear ever tries to eat me, my last words will be: "I find my curiosity is pretty well satisfied with respect to this animal."

Turbo Joe
02-16-2006, 23:09
I brought a leatherman thinking id use it all the time but it does make a good roach clip

C_Brice
02-17-2006, 01:00
Been awhile since I've checked back with this post. Sure was lots of response to my original post in this thread. Sorry if it kinda got hijacked Dogginfox. Let me see if I can summerize responces to my "carry a real knife" post.

1) The AT is not wilderness nor anywhere close to it. Seems like I can be out in my back yard and be closer to the wilderness. As a matter of fact my back yard must be wilderness because I used my KABAR in it. According to some of you, wilderness is the only place I need a real knife.

2) Some here think a real knife is only a killing tool. Not worth touching on.

3) Some think that a knife is a good tool in a fight with a bear. I would prefer to run faster than my hiking/hunting partners or use my .45. But feel free to try the knife.

4) As for defensive weapons, I'll take a guy with a staff over a guy with a knife anyday. But good luck opening a can, building shelter, hammering, cleaning fish, cutting kindling, etc. with the staff.

5) 99.9% of us will never be in a situation that REQUIRES a "real" knife. Therefor some think they don't need to bother with the knife. I never use anything more than a band-aid or asprin outta my first aid kit but I still take a first-aid kit, not just band-aids and asprin. Just for the record, if we ever meet on the trail and you need a knife or first-aid kit but didn't bother to pack one in.......DO NOT ASK TO USE MINE!

6) Panzer1 feels insecure around someone with a bigger tool than his. "Insecure" was his word not mine.

7) Mags is generaly "knife adverse" and thinks a 5" blade is a "big knife" but he was right on one thing. Your mind is your most important tool. My mind say's "better safe than sorry". I'll carry a good knife.

Nothing was said in my first post about a knife being a weapon or using it to fend off bears. Although I'll take a knife over my bare hands anyday shall the need arise. And others have pointed out that, that while rare, a bad encounter with "two" and "four" legged animales can happen a can. I carry a small KABAR because it's as durable as they come. I also mentioned lighter weight alternatives like the Mora and the Gerber. Others also recommended the Mora, the Pilots Survuval Knife and other "good" knives. The knife is a tool. EXPERTS agree that a knife can be one of the most important tools in the outdoors or in an emergency situation. Knives and pocket tools also come in dang handy while camping! I'll believe the experts and will gladly take their advice. I hope others will too.

Disagreements aside, I have found this whole post very useful and insightful. Lots of good freindly ideas and banter.

Good Hiking!
Chris

P.S The guy with the "roach clip" comment gets my "idiot post" award. It wasn't even a close race, he wins hands down. I can't believe someone would be dumb enough to take time to even post that.

Mags
02-17-2006, 11:51
Perfect. If a bear ever tries to eat me, my last words will be: "I find my curiosity is pretty well satisfied with respect to this animal."

I'd think your last words would be "Arggh! Arggh! .....bleh.. "

;)

Mags
02-17-2006, 11:57
7) Mags is generaly "knife adverse" and thinks a 5" blade is a "big knife" but he was right on one thing. Your mind is your most important tool. My mind say's "better safe than sorry". I'll carry a good knife.

Nope not knife adverse. Just we are talking about the Appalachian Trail. A 5" knife *is* a big knife for the AT! (And for the PCT and the CDT and any *trail*).

If you are a backpacker, you have all you need with you. If somerthing happens, you improvise.

If I was in true wilderness (which is debatable ato find in the lower 48), maybe I'd take a larger knife.

I have a fairly good outdoor background at this point. Yet to find a a point when I needed a large knife. Why? Because I use the other tools to make do.

Now if we are talking about a knife for base camping and in daily life, that's another ball of wax. I'll stand by original thought: If you are backpacking on the AT, you don't need a big (yes 5" is big for the AT) knife.

But, whatever works. We all have our own idea of what is good for a trek in the backcountry. And we are all right...if it works for you.

The Cheat
02-17-2006, 16:44
I'd think your last words would be "Arggh! Arggh! .....bleh.. "

;)

LOL. Okay, I should have said last understandable words.

How about: "All in all, I'd rather be in Poughkeepsie." :-?

vipahman
02-17-2006, 19:43
Being a follower of the ultralight philosophy, I now leave my Micra behind for AT hiking. Anyway it was dead weight. So what do people use their knife for anyway. The food I carry is dehydrated food and/or energy bars and doesn't require a knife. Just curious, not flaming those who carry it.

C_Brice
02-18-2006, 01:32
" I'd think your last words would be "Arggh! Arggh! .....bleh.. "

Have to admit, thats dang funny.

As far as what I use a knife for:

In a bad storm, tornados on the ground 10 miles away, hail, 70 mph winds, etc. Had to cut some stakes for extra guyouts on my Eureka.

Use it for shaving kindling and fuel for my nomad stoves in damp weather.

I use it everyday for something. I'll give you an update for all the things I use my knife for next time I go out.

I even use it fend of muskrats and raccoons here in Iowa. Does a raccoon count as a bear? lol

Chris

P.S. Almost forgot, I use it to make others around me feel "insecure". :p

Panzer1
02-18-2006, 02:13
Just for the record, if we ever meet on the trail and you need a knife or first-aid kit but didn't bother to pack one in.......DO NOT ASK TO USE MINE!

Yea, I guess that must be one of your big fantasies. Waiting for the day when we'll need to borrow your big knife. Wow..

And for the record, if I ever met someone on the trail who needed first-aid, I would always help that person, even if they didn't bother to pack one in.

Panzer

xXIndyXx
02-18-2006, 02:32
I carry a Benchmade 9050 AFO. It was issued to me in the Air Force. I do not think that it can be purchased by a civillian because it's an automatic opening knife. I love it and will never own any other knife than a Benchmade.

Oh yeah, I also carry an old school Gerber multi-tool (it was free too).

I'll take "FREE" over "lightweight" most of the time.

tlbj6142
02-20-2006, 12:26
Right now I carry a small (free) single blade Gerber knife and separate nail clippers. But, I recently saw that Gerber makes this Deluxe Utility Clippers (http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=7166#). Nail clippers, small blade and scissors in one package. Might be the perfect tool for hikers.

Probably make my Xmas list.

icemanat95
02-20-2006, 14:14

A stout hiking staff would be a very effective weapon if push came to shove. It's a long level, usually 5 feet long or so and made of dense hardwood. It's also a good blunt spear and if used correctly is entirely sufficient to shatter bone and rupture organs. The art of the jo staff was developed in Japan to give local police officers and others a tool with greater reach than the conventional sword, to subdue rogue swordsmen. The great Miyamoto Musashi was only ever defeated in one duel and that was in a duel with a Jo weilder. A moderately competent jo fighter could easily dismantle your average knife weilder. The simple ability to strike before your opponent can come to striking distance with you is a MAJOR advantage in a fight. Even a lightweight aluminum trekking pole offers an advantage in this regard, and properly aimed can take out an eye, rip out a cheek, deliver a nasty stabbing blow, etc. It would be a hideous striking weapon, but a thrust could be quite effective if delivered properly and with commitment.

Also, the cardinal rule of knife fighting is simple (everyone gets cut). Usually both people will go to the hospital and one or both might go to the morgue. So avoiding coming to knife range is highly desireable.

Mags
02-20-2006, 14:32
A moderately competent jo fighter could easily dismantle your average knife weilder. The simple ability to strike before your opponent can come to striking distance with you is a MAJOR advantage in a fight. Even a

Reminds me of why I originally posted what I did (about a pole being more effective than a knife).

My Dad has been doing Tai Chi actively for almost a decade now. He does the form of Tai Chi called "Family style". Which involves weapons training. Anyway, a few years back he went through the staff manuvers for me.

Tai Chi looks yoga like. Speed it up (esp. with a staff!) and egads, would not want to try taking the person on. Of course, Dad can probably kick my butt anyway without the staff. :) (I work on a computer; he's been doing a trade for 30+ yrs!)

Tinker
02-20-2006, 15:35
I like my Leatherman Micra because I can use the scissors to trim my nails, but the blade isn't big enough for anything. I guess if I had to carry something a long way (I'm a section hiker, so it doesn't really apply), I might carry nail clippers and a single bladed (long and wide, for spreading peanut butter, jelly, etc.) folding knife with locking blade. Come to think of it, the nail clippers could go in a bounce box. I can't see using screwdrivers (except for glasses - a dime can be used for most gear repairs [I only once had to reattach the stay on my Gregory Shasta, and I used a dime for a screwdriver]). I guess a P-38 can opener would work, but I like the way the Victorinox can opener works. The P-38 (and the Wenger one) seems to work backwards.
Basically, anything I can't fix with a needle and thread or duct tape will have to wait until I get to a town.
Time to look at knives again? :-?

The Solemates
02-20-2006, 16:56
never carried any kind of knife, and never have needed one.

never carried rope, hikin poles, sporks, whistle, waterproof matches, emergency blanket, and all the other little dinky stuff people consider so necessary.

vipahman
02-20-2006, 18:46
BTW, I said I never carry my Micra anymore but I do carry an emergency kit which includes a grandpa style razor blade for my emergency cutting needs. So I'll not ask for help on the trail but I'm still willing to help you.

icemanat95
02-21-2006, 00:10
Reminds me of why I originally posted what I did (about a pole being more effective than a knife).

My Dad has been doing Tai Chi actively for almost a decade now. He does the form of Tai Chi called "Family style". Which involves weapons training. Anyway, a few years back he went through the staff manuvers for me.

Tai Chi looks yoga like. Speed it up (esp. with a staff!) and egads, would not want to try taking the person on. Of course, Dad can probably kick my butt anyway without the staff. :) (I work on a computer; he's been doing a trade for 30+ yrs!)

I study Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu, which is a sword art, but a companion art we also study is called Shindo Muso Ryu jo-jutsu developed by Muso Gonnosuke, the swordsman who defeated Musashi by becoming a staff fighter. I'm barely beginning jo, but iaijutsu informs jo-jutsu and vice-versa. A skilled jo fighter can wreak all sorts of mayhem on an attacker with only minimal effort. Authentic "jutsu" fighting styles are remarkably spare and efficient. Timing and distance, footwork and precision do the work, Muscle isn't particularly required, and the movements of a master, while undeniably powerful, look light and effortless (until you get hit). I spend an awful lot of time on this stuff these days, and most of my social interactions revolve around martial arts. It's actually settling me down rather well compared to my more fiery youth.

Mags
02-21-2006, 12:34
ITiming and distance, footwork and precision do the work, Muscle isn't particularly required, and the movements of a master, while undeniably powerful, look light and effortless (until you get hit). I spend an awful lot of time on this stuff these days, and most of my social interactions revolve around martial arts. It's actually settling me down rather well compared to my more fiery youth.

Mind you I am only saying this second hand from Dad (who actually practices the art), but that is theory behind what he does as well. Slow, deliberate controlled movements in practice means it is almost instinct when you need it for fighting. It is more about control and focus than strength apparently.

I remember Dad having a fiery temper growing up (luckily, I did not get that passed on to me. Phew! My youngest brother though! :) . Think the tai chi helped settle him down as well.

neo
02-21-2006, 12:51
this here is all ya really need:cool: neo

http://www.thebladeshop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=689

Diomede
02-22-2006, 02:07
Hmmm... alright I'll take a KaBar and one of you who believes a 'hiking staff would serve you better' can square up with me and we'll see who comes out on top ;) . Also, if you take a "moderately competent" jo fighter and put them against a moderately competent knife fighter- i think you would have a pretty fair fight, but against some one with no training, a trained jo fighter would probably have the upper hand- so that is not a good comparison to make.
Either way here's my blade of choice- http://www.coldsteel.com/88wgs.html it can do all the stuff a knife can plus serve as a hiking staff, a bear punisher, and you can even use it to pitch your shelter- at a scant 109 ounces!!

freefall
02-22-2006, 02:25
Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

But he still carried a blade.
Probably wouldn't need matches though.:D

irritable_badger
03-03-2006, 20:23
A stout hiking staff would be a very effective weapon if push came to shove. It's a long level, usually 5 feet long or so and made of dense hardwood. It's also a good blunt spear and if used correctly is entirely sufficient to shatter bone and rupture organs. The art of the jo staff was developed in Japan to give local police officers and others a tool with greater reach than the conventional sword, to subdue rogue swordsmen. The great Miyamoto Musashi was only ever defeated in one duel and that was in a duel with a Jo weilder. A moderately competent jo fighter could easily dismantle your average knife weilder. The simple ability to strike before your opponent can come to striking distance with you is a MAJOR advantage in a fight. Even a lightweight aluminum trekking pole offers an advantage in this regard, and properly aimed can take out an eye, rip out a cheek, deliver a nasty stabbing blow, etc. It would be a hideous striking weapon, but a thrust could be quite effective if delivered properly and with commitment.

Also, the cardinal rule of knife fighting is simple (everyone gets cut). Usually both people will go to the hospital and one or both might go to the morgue. So avoiding coming to knife range is highly desireable.
While a real staff would be better than nothing in a knife fight an aluminum hiking pole is not much of a weapon. As a test/bet I hit my buddy with one of my Super Makalu's while he was wearing his flack vest, he barely blinked. I hit him so hard the pole sections seperated on impact and the little rubber tension adjustment assembly inside shot across the room at the speed of sound. The pole was absolutely destroyed. If you ever have to use one in a fight make sure you stab with it, don't hit.

My test makes also me believe that using a trekking pole as a defense against bears and such is a waste of time. I guess it's better than just standing there if a bear is attacking you but it ain't going to do much good.

P.S. Leki will not replace poles in the event they are damaged while assualting someone :)

SGTdirtman
03-03-2006, 21:13
I never understood carrying a "multi tool" on the trail... I mean really most of them are like 3 screw drivers, a file, a fish scaler, a ruler, a serated blade, a straight blade, a tiny blade, lil itty bitty sizzors, and pliars...

Well I dont need screw drivers hiking, Really cant see the need for a file, I dont intend to scale any fish, I dont need to measure anything, those 3 knife blades can be combined onto one single knife, pliars seem handy but I've never needed them, and Ive got sizzors in my first aid kit...

I carry benchmade automatic I got from the army, and a Ka-bar I should have got from the army. 2 best knives I've ever owned. Ka-bar never leaves my hip and the benchmade never leaves the shoulder strap of my pack. Only "tools" I ever bring hiking... I wouldnt trust a hiking pole as a weapon unless your trying to fend off squirrels or something

irritable_badger
03-03-2006, 22:12
I carry benchmade automatic I got from the army, and a Ka-bar I should have got from the army. 2 best knives I've ever owned. Ka-bar never leaves my hip and the benchmade never leaves the shoulder strap of my pack. Only "tools" I ever bring hiking... I wouldnt trust a hiking pole as a weapon unless your trying to fend off squirrels or something
I'm guess I'm not prepared for the New Jersey section of my hike. I thought my little pocket knife would be plenty of cutlery...

SGTdirtman
03-03-2006, 22:22
Haha... be lucky your just walking through the woods, Try walking around Trenton :D

jasonklass
03-03-2006, 23:36
I used to think about getting "protection" from a knife (especially because I mostly solo hike) so I carried a CRKT M-16 Z (until it got stolen in Costa Rica). It was a great knife but overkill. Now, I carry a Micra and for protection carry pepper spray (to me that would be more effective on an animal or weirdo than a knife). For less weight, the Micra just does more things. I must admit though that I sometimes carry my Swiss Champ just because it's so cool!

uncas
03-03-2006, 23:58
Hello,

Sorry, my old friend, Slogger, but Swiss Army does not make a "sharp" knife, just cute ones. There was a thing that we used to do in college with the ubiquitous plastic tooth pick and the micro tweezer, what was that...?

The Leathermen are much better blades but they cost money. Look for a micro size off brand at the Home Depot as an alternative.

For me, I will be carrying a Boker Cerro Titan composite blade. You can shave with it.

Ourfeetarestained

irritable_badger
03-04-2006, 00:25
I carry a Kershaw Speed-Safe knife with a 3.5" blade. It weighs 3.5 ozs and has the best blade I have ever used in a factory produced general purpose knife. It has replaced my Benchmade as my daily carry knife and the assisted opening feature is really cool too.

I've never really seen the point of a multi-tool in the woods. I have yet to encounter a situation which the duct-tape, zip-ties, and knife I always carry could not resolve (sometimes I will use a big rock though). Plus the things are so expensive I would hate to try and keep track of it in the woods.

Dogginfox
03-07-2006, 10:32
OK all you squirt users, if i was going to buy one should i go for the S4 or the P4? any reason in particular?

snowhoe
03-07-2006, 13:02
I bought a multi tool from the ATC store it is pretty cool.

OutbackHack
03-07-2006, 20:28
I've been pretty happy with my Leatherman S2 for the last couple years. Sure it's a couple more ounces than a Squirt model, but you get both a pretty usable pair of pliers and scissors.

Also just picked up a Leatherman e301 a few weeks ago to replace my old swiss army locking blade which weighed about twice as much as the leatherman. Haven't put it to the test yet, but it feels like one of the most solid locking blades I've handled plus it's got a cool little carabiner built into it, I never trust the stardard belt clip to keep me from losing my knife.

I think the two of them will be a good combo for my hikes, I like to have a readily available general utility knife but also be able to dig out a multitool if I need to make repairs in the field.

Amigi'sLastStand
05-23-2006, 03:31
Agreed. Life saver, not taker.

Paul Bunyan
06-14-2006, 19:57
I personally carry a full hunting sheath knife and small swiss army. Weight................? Who knows.

berninbush
06-15-2006, 00:58
The Ka-Bar knife was produced by the Union Cutlery Company of Olean, New York. Founded in 1898, the company established the Ka-Bar tradmark after a fur trapper wrote in broken English that he had killed a bear, written "k a bar", with one of their knives.

Wow.... that location (Olean, New York) really intrigues me. I used to sell Cutco Cutlery for two summers when I was in college. They make top-quality kitchen and hunting knives. (Those things are SHARP! I have the entry wound on the palm of my hand and the exit wound on the back to prove it.) Cutco is located in Olean. I wonder if they are an outgrowth of Union Cutlery, or if Olean is just a Mecca of knife companies!

Uncle Silly
07-20-2006, 00:51
OK all you squirt users, if i was going to buy one should i go for the S4 or the P4? any reason in particular?

Which do you need more, scissors (S4) or pliers (P4)? I had the Leatherman Micra (a scissors model) but bought and carried a Squirt P4 for my hike. I needed the wirecutters on the pliers for changing strings on my mandolin, and I could do without the scissors since I also carried a Spyderco lockblade.

Unless you have a particular reason for needing pliers, though, I'd expect the scissors to be more generally useful (think gear repairs or modifications). Especially if this multitool will be your only knife.

jazilla
07-20-2006, 08:42
Some say why the kbar. I carry a spec ops, similar to the kbar. Why do you ask. I ask why do you carry a trowel to dig a hole I have my knife. Say a bad storm hits (like the tropical depression heading for NY and Maine) what happens if a tree limb falls. Will the 2" blade get that limb off your gear. Can you make a speer with a 2" blade. Well you actually can, but that's not the point. And what if, as stated by some one I know who brought his pistol into the smokies( which I already know is not allowed thank you) cause what if you meet naked guy with a banjo. But for me I think I will take the best of both worlds. I am bringing my lightsabar next time I hike. Just in case I run into trouble on the trail.

Time To Fly 97
07-20-2006, 11:37
I always go with the little Swiss Victorianox..like so many others...and large sewing needle of course.

Just my opinion...a kabar is just for getting attention on the AT. It is extra weight and I honestly can't think of a single situation on my entire thru-hike where I would have needed one.

Food utensil: lexan spoon
Cutting: victorianox
Heavy foliage: trails are maintained
Survival: if you need a kabar to survive with all that gear in your pack...nuff said
Bear attack: rocks or a big stick - most bears run away from people anyway and if they get your food - walk away.
People attack: THIS is it. fear of people. That's why you carry a kabar. Makes sense if you are in the military, but not very much sense at all on the AT.

My opinion again: I've never met nicer people, with true happiness and caring for others in their hearts, than hikers. Nothing to fear, but rather, thousands of kindred spirits who would share their victorianox if you sent that kabar home.

TTF

jazilla
07-20-2006, 15:42
Hikers are very nice(in most cases) but I don't know any breaking into cars at trailheads. I also don't know any dragging a cast of beer up the trail and trowing a party and leaving there trash everywhere. Don't forget, not everyone on the trail belongs on the trail. There is a thread here about two lady hikers that where killed 2 miles from a trail head. Crazies are every where.

johnny quest
07-20-2006, 17:10
i love multi tools and carry one a leatherman supertool on my belt to work. but i carry a simple wenger swiss army knife...the smallest one, on most hiking trips. ive found the leatherman micra scissors to suck....my hand cant seem to work them as well as the wenger scissors. and i do use my scissors more than i would have thought.

Uncle Silly
07-21-2006, 01:39
Can you make a speer with a 2" blade. Well you actually can, but that's not the point. And what if, as stated by some one I know who brought his pistol into the smokies (which I already know is not allowed thank you) cause what if you meet naked guy with a banjo. But for me I think I will take the best of both worlds.

why would you make a hammock on the trail?

oh. you meant spear. i get it....

And what if, as stated by some one I know who brought his pistol into the smokies (which I already know is not allowed thank you) cause what if you meet naked guy with a banjo.

just so you know, that wasn't me. i don't play banjo naked. i mean, what if a string broke? owwwww....

jazilla
07-21-2006, 08:18
Thanks Silly. It was an early morning for me this morning and a good laugh is much appreciated.

PS. I did mean a spear but I had hammocks on the ridgeli....I mean brain.

Shrkbit143
07-21-2006, 09:20
I carry a small snap-off utility knife. It has replacable blade and weights in at .2 oz. If the tip gets dull I snap off a section and have a sharp blade. If I need a longer cut I push out more of the 4 in blade. Most of the time, it is onlyused to open food packets. I only use the 1/4 in. tip section. Go to Wal-mart and check out the plastic utility knife. Get the small one for a dollar. Remember you can get replacement blades to put into your bounce box.

Here is what I carry.
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=SNAP%2DOFF+BLADE&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=10-131P&SDesc=9mm+Retractable+Cutter

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-21-2006, 09:45
I carry a tiny little thing that looks like a fat credit card (http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Product.htm?category=swisscard&product=53321&). It has everything I need personally except pliers. The male dino is an old-school kind of guy. He carries a largish multi-tool (http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=1517)in a leather shealth attached to his belt. It can handle the heavy jobs, has a 5" knife and has big and little pliers.

Johnny Swank
07-21-2006, 10:20
I carried a Spyderco Ladybug on my thruhike and separate tweezers in the first aid kit until I left the darn thing on a log. Loved that thing. I've tried using (and still use on occasion) my little Victorinox, but the little blade on it is a little annoying with cutting heavier materials (hard blocks of cheese for example)

I carried a Gerber with 2" blade on the river and enjoyed using it much more. Fit my hand much better and I didn't feel like the blade was going to snap when I used it. Weighs less than 1 oz. I'd be tempted by the Squirt through - good design and feels solid, and great sissors.

//V\\èå†b壣
07-22-2006, 05:48
I carry two of these.... the ultimate multi tool..... http://www.swordsdirect.com/sword_canes.html

vaporjourney
07-24-2006, 21:17
Is the blade any good on those Leatherman Micras? If it's not, then I'd probably just get a solid swiss army knife with a bigger blade and their tiny scissors.

Spastic
07-25-2006, 01:52
Funny, I was reading this thread yesterday, specifically the arguments about fending off a bear, and today I read this article:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/23072006/3/canada-canoeist-stabs-bear-death-ontario.html

A man stabbed a black bear to death with a 15-cm hunting knife, saying he knew he would otherwise become "lunch" after it attacked him and his dog on a canoeing portage in northern Ontario.if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['VtD0Btj8Ymk-']='&U=139a5fbgh%2fN%3dVtD0Btj8Ymk-%2fC%3d526444.8661426.9739172.1559897%2fD%3dLREC%2 fB%3d3850162';http://row.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=c406MESOww0avxY6RMQ1zCLxRWtBHUTFsBwABVtS&T=13vf2dba6%2fX%3d1153806364%2fE%3d97340570%2fR%3d ca_news%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3dHR%2fY%3dCA%2fF%3d 3416145864%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d01C38E44&U=139a5fbgh%2fN%3dVtD0Btj8Ymk-%2fC%3d526444.8661426.9739172.1559897%2fD%3dLREC%2 fB%3d3850162
Tom Tilley, a 55-year-old from Waterloo, Ont., said his American Staffordshire dog growled a warning, then rushed to his defence as the bear came at them on a trail north of Wawa on Friday.

As the dog battled with the nearly 90-kilogram bear, Tilley jumped on its back and stabbed it with his knife.

"Love is a very powerful emotion and my thought right away was: 'You're not going to kill my dog,'" Tilley told the Waterloo Region Record.

"I really consider my dog a hero. Without that first warning, I would have had the bear clamping down on my neck."

An avid outdoorsman, Tilley was four days into a 12-day canoe trip. He said he heard his dog growl and noticed the bear closing in on him. He waved his arms and slowly backed away. But the bear came closer, cutting off his escape route.

"That's when I knew I had a serious problem.... I was lunch," he said. "The bear took a few steps down the trail and clamped its mouth on the back of my dog. It gave me the quick opportunity I needed to run around to the back of the bear, get on its back and with my knife start stabbing it."

After making sure the animal was dead, Tilley realized that both he and dog had been bitten. ''That's when I knew I had a serious problem.... I was lunch.'-Tom Tilley, a 55-year-old from Waterloo, Ont.'

He dragged his canoe across a short portage and paddled for about an hour before he came across a pair of Americans who had a satellite phone. They called for help and two hours later, a cargo plane arrived to take Tilley to Wawa for medical attention. He was released from hospital shortly after.

Bears rarely attack humans, but there have been several killings and serious maulings in Canada in recent years, including:

- In late April, a grizzly attacked and killed Jean-Francois Pagé, a 28-year-old man from Whitehorse who was working in the bush about 30 kilometres east of the Yukon community.

- Jacqueline Perry, 30, was killed by a black bear that attacked her and her husband at a campsite in Missinaibi Lake Provincial Park in northern Ontario in September 2005.

- Isabelle Dube, a 26-year-old mother of one, died in June 2005 after being mauled by a grizzly bear while she and friends were running on a hiking trail near Canmore, Alta

Think I'll keep carrying my knife.

DonQuixote
08-01-2006, 11:41
First post!

I recently bought a $5 knife for hiking. Straight blade, 3.5" and sharp. The really interesting thing is that instead of the normal scales one see son a knife (metal, plastic, wood, etc.) it has a length of small rope wound tightly around the tang. light, durable, and I can think of a million uses for the rope alone.

Just this noob's two cents.

hopefulhiker
08-01-2006, 13:18
little swiss army knife with light and pen built in, P 38 can opener in wallet

nutlub
12-26-2006, 22:26
Call me crazy, but I traded my scimitar knife (http://www.wholesaleknives.co.uk/images/hunting_and_fishing_knives/scimitar_bowie_knife.jpg)for a way more practical leatherman squirt (http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/2e/b1/pr-Shop_Tools-Leatherman_Squirt_S4_Plier_Tool-resized200.jpg)

Seriously though, I only carry a small knife. However, back when I was scared to sleep in a tent while ,car camping, I used to sleep with an axe in the tent. Hey I'm a city slicker.... :p