PDA

View Full Version : Costco Socks

Moosling
09-06-2016, 21:46
Just found a deal on some decent Merino wool socks at Costco. 4 pairs I think they were on sale for around $9.00 I got the women's socks they were a little thinner and I though they'd work Better for me. I work on my feet all day in a warehouse and put a lot of miles on them both at work and hiking/playing hockey. I've been using them for the last 2 months and they've held up really well very comfortable.....Maybe I've just needed to buy womens socks all along.

Anyway just though I'd share this little budget saver.

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2016, 22:02
I've been buying them for a couple years now and they're awesome.

Ktaadn
09-07-2016, 10:12
One of my favorite things about this forum is going to Costco, seeing something there (a puffy, socks, etc), and remembering that someone mentioned it here first, it went through a peer-review, and I am an informed shopper.

Old Grouse
09-07-2016, 11:26
I wore them for years but then just got sick of looking at them. Call me fickle, I guess. Darn Toughs are just more fun, as well as lasting longer, etc.

ggreaves
09-07-2016, 11:37
Agreed. Oh, wait. I misread the title.

bob7
09-08-2016, 06:45
Agreed. Oh, wait. I misread the title.

hahaha me too

garlic08
09-08-2016, 14:43
I tried one package of the Costco socks and found they did not last as long as Smartwools, the obvious knock-off target. One more excuse to stay away from Costco, 'cause I think it kinda socks, too.

Sarcasm the elf
09-08-2016, 14:49
I tried one package of the Costco socks and found they did not last as long as Smartwools, the obvious knock-off target. One more excuse to stay away from Costco, 'cause I think it kinda socks, too.

On the other hand, the last pair of smartwool I bought cost $16. That's 6-7 times the cost of the costco socks and smartwool certainly doesn't last 6-7 times as long.
:-?

Full disclosure, I wear the costco socks to work, so I'm not as hard on them as a backpacker.

Secondmouse
09-08-2016, 17:56

what did you do to thos socks? I still have several pairs that I bought 5 years ago and worn daily through 3 seasons. I thought them uncommonly durable...

garlic08
09-08-2016, 18:34
what did you do to thos socks? I still have several pairs that I bought 5 years ago and worn daily through 3 seasons. I thought them uncommonly durable...

One of the seasons I hiked a few thousand miles, I tried Costco and they didn't hold up, only 3-400 miles or so per pair. The Smartwools last me about twice that. If I resupplied often enough, the economics would make sense, but I don't like needing resupplies that often. The wool seemed inferior, too, pilling more than Smartwool. Last year I tried a pair of very expensive Darn Toughs and I like them, I think they're worth the money.

rocketsocks
09-08-2016, 20:33
I don't think Costco socks, they're pretty good actually.

MisterQ
09-08-2016, 21:11
Costco is a magical palace of awesomeness.

Secondmouse
09-08-2016, 23:19
One of the seasons I hiked a few thousand miles, I tried Costco and they didn't hold up, only 3-400 miles or so per pair. The Smartwools last me about twice that. If I resupplied often enough, the economics would make sense, but I don't like needing resupplies that often. The wool seemed inferior, too, pilling more than Smartwool. Last year I tried a pair of very expensive Darn Toughs and I like them, I think they're worth the money.

thanks, that's a good answer. fwiw, I have about 9 pairs so they get rotated out constantly. to be honest, I couldn't tell you how much wear any single pair has had...

Sailing_Faith
09-09-2016, 02:05
FWIW, I went to Costco and looked at them today. I have a few pair I bought there in the past and use them for short hikes (Darn Tough for longer hikes)...

The price of $9 someone posted above is not what I saw today. They were $12, which is still pretty good... I checked the womens socks too (not that I could get my 13EE's into women socks anyway) and they are $12 too.

Longboysfan
09-09-2016, 11:58
I got the pack.
I use them under my Darn Tough socks.

As my larger boot size needs two pair.

Feral Bill
09-18-2016, 13:39
I wear them almost every day. They may not hold up to hard hiking, though. I'll know better when I wash my new ones I wore for the trip I just finished.

FatMan
09-18-2016, 13:41
I wear them. For the price they cannot be beat.

volleypc
09-19-2016, 13:32
I have been wearing these for about 8 or 9 years now and they are great. Anyone that says they do not last as long as smartwool socks is dead wrong. I also used these on my thru hike. If you are in Tennessee you can also get these at the Sock Shop in Sweetwater TN (just off interstate 75 south of Knoxville).

bikebum1975
09-19-2016, 17:14
Been using them myself for a few years now. They hold up pretty well for the money.