PDA

View Full Version : Section difficulty ratings?

Stubby2
09-07-2016, 15:17
Hi everyone. Been away for a while, but back. I went for a section hike this past weekend in NC, from Devil Fork Gap to Spivey Gap (NB). Spent the night about 1/2 mile north of Sams Gap.

The maps and signs said 13.3 to 13.6 miles from Sams Gap to Spivey Gap, depending on the source.

I could tell there had been some re-routing, the old trail was visible going along the tops of the ridge, and to the points, that the current trail bypasses by a little (shout out to the trail keepers there for eco-improvements), so I can see where there could be some (very) minor variations in distances given.

But it felt a LOT longer from Sams Gap to Spivey Gap. My Fitbit called it 15.4 miles. Ok, I know, a Fitbit is not accurate on distance, just going off number of steps, and the length of my steps calculated from my height. But still, that is a big discrepancy. And it FELT longer. I've hiked pretty much all the sections south of there, except for the Smokies, and have hiked 17 and 18 miles in a day on two different trips. This one felt quite a bit longer than either of those.

There was a lot more "up" than expected - the Fitbit counted it as 367 floors, which followed the 379 floors the day before. (Fitbits only count going up - no credit for going down.) And I could feel the air thin out above 5000 feet.

Any ideas on why this section seemed harder than it looks on paper? Is it longer now? Was it the altitude? Am I just getting old?

Is there a guide that gives a difficulty rating for different sections? I'd like to be better able to gauge how many miles to bite off on my next sections.

Thanks!

Hikingjim
09-07-2016, 15:28
I can hardly tell a difference between 13.6 and 15.4. Not that sizeable and the elevation/terrain can make such a big difference
Maybe using a fitbit makes it seem longer. Time flies when I'm just walkin' and not looking at a gadget. When I look too closely at mileage, time drags

I haven't come across any good difficulty ratings for smaller sections. But you can get an idea, based on location and doing some reading, if it's going to be dirt path or rocky, etc. And if you know it's somewhat smooth, then a good look at elevation profiles and steepness is about the best I usually do for myself

Then compare profiles to where you've already hiked recently, etc

Gambit McCrae
09-07-2016, 16:11
I am actively pursuing a AT completion by sectioning, and planning my trips has kinda fallen to the wayside. I have a bad habit of using the green profile maps that at one time were attached to this site, and unfortunately I have found them to be of little help other then seeing waypoints in order. the elevation changes are not a continual flight path so the curves and lines they form do not accurately show the climb for what it is. In fact, I most often think that a climb is going to be difficult, when in fact it is not, and vice versa. Now the 2014 Thru hiker companion has profile maps in it that I believe to be pretty darn helpful, as well as the guthooks app. As far as gauging it section by section, what I have formed to doing is simply park my car where I left off the last time, hike until I run out of time or effort, and text/ call my shuttle to arrange the exact pickup time and location say the morning of my last day, or perhaps once you get to camp the night before. This allows me to take each trip as it comes, eliminates the need to get a bail out shuttle during trips and does not force me to walk any further then I want to. The down side of this tactic is it doesn't hold me accountable to complete a certain amount of the trail. If I park my car 40 miles away, I am much more apt to walk to my car than if I walk 30 miles and decide im over it. Hope this helps

MuddyWaters
09-07-2016, 17:15
I recall nothing out of ordinary thru there, except signs with conflicting mileage.

So you were probably just having a hard day.

Sarcasm the elf
09-07-2016, 17:30
In my experience, pedometers will substantially overestimate distances on trail because a person's average stride is shorter when traversing uneven terrain.

(I use this to my advantage when I get suckered into those corporate walking challenges at work.)

egilbe
09-07-2016, 20:19
My fitbit was at least 25% off on my last two week hike. 15 miles was 20 fitbit miles. If you know that starting out, its not a bd tool to estimate distances.

rafe
09-07-2016, 20:23
Any ideas on why this section seemed harder than it looks on paper? Is it longer now? Was it the altitude? Am I just getting old?

It's not the altitude, it's the attitude. Seriously.

Lone Wolf
09-07-2016, 20:30
wth is a fit bit?

egilbe
09-07-2016, 20:44
wth is a fit bit?

Exercise tracking gadget. Try the googles.

MuddyWaters
09-07-2016, 20:53
wth is a fit bit?

another useless thing my wife bought , has never, and will never, use.

Stubby2
09-08-2016, 08:30
In my experience, pedometers will substantially overestimate distances on trail because a person's average stride is shorter when traversing uneven terrain.

(I use this to my advantage when I get suckered into those corporate walking challenges at work.)

Thanks, that helps to know.

I think another contributing factor may have been trying to keep up with my 20 year old son, who set what was for me a scorching pace.

Stubby2
09-08-2016, 08:32
My fitbit was at least 25% off on my last two week hike. 15 miles was 20 fitbit miles. If you know that starting out, its not a bd tool to estimate distances.

Thanks, that's how I was using it, but without the adjustment. That probably added to the perceived longer distance.

Backpkrmn
09-08-2016, 09:04
I have adjusted my stride length for different terrain. If I know I'm hiking a section that's relatively flat, I'll leave it what I do for normal walking, but if there is a significant amount of climbing, I'll shorten the length of the stride manually, that seems to help some.

saltysack
09-08-2016, 09:38
another useless thing my wife bought , has never, and will never, use.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleRock
09-12-2016, 08:57
2016 AT guide lists the distance as 13.5 mi, so the signage isn't that far off. I'd definitely trust the signs over a FitBit :-)

I remember having that same feeling when I went there a few years ago. I hiked 8 mi from Sam's Gap to Bald Mtn Shelter the first day, then 16 mi to Erwin the second day. The hike up Big Bald was gentle and well graded, until the end. The last 1/2 mile or so was really steep. It was only about a mile from there to the shelter, but it felt much longer after that tough climb with a full pack.

The trail down to Spivey Gap the next day wasn't difficult, but I remember it took me a lot longer than it should have. Especially the last 2 mi - it was just switchback after switchback and it felt more like 4. I started early and didn't get to Spivey Gap until noon. Luckily, the rest of the trail to Erwin was really easy - I ended up knocking out the 5 miles to the next shelter in 2 hours, then making it into Erwin just before 6 PM.

I calculate my own difficulty ratings for each day of each section hike, so I don't overdo it. The formula is:

DIFF_RATING = DIST_MI * (5 + AVG_GRADE) + NET_ELEV/100

where DIST_MI is the distance hiked in miles, AVG_GRADE is the average grade of the trail as a percent, and NET_ELEV is the ending elevation minus the starting elevation, in feet. Basically, it gives a rating of 100 to a 20 mi walk on flat ground, then factors in elevation. It's crude, but it works for me. I usually try to start a section with ratings around 100 or so, then work my way up to 150-200 after a week.

FlyPaper
09-12-2016, 09:31
Using GPS Centerline Data it is possible to estimate this length. Using trigonometry on the whole AT centerline data calculates a total of 2121.4 miles. This is not a perfect measurement because it measures coordinate to coordinate as if a direct route was taken. It also does not account for elevation change. The official distance of the AT is 2189.1 miles. So a good heuristic ratio is 2189.1/2121.4 meaning that a GPS list of points will slightly underestimate the officially measured distance.

Applied to the specific section, the GPS coordinates come up to 13.2 miles. Multiplying by the ratio gets an approximate distance of 13.6. The official distance according to the ATC is 13.4 miles. Based on this, I would conclude that the official distance is well within the typical accuracy of the rest of the trail.

PAHiker
09-12-2016, 11:29
wth is a fit bit?

Must some kind of drill bit that fits a certain size hole. I don't know why you would want to take one on a hike.