PDA

View Full Version : HIking, camping around Jacksonville, Florida

Pressure Treated
01-10-2006, 22:46
I am in Ponte Vedra Beach for the week. It is about 30 minutes south of Jacksonville. Can anyone give me any ideas where to go hiking/backpacking within 1 hour. Thanks

hikerjohnd
01-10-2006, 23:20
There are several trails in the area - but they are short hikes (6-10 miles one way). The ones I am most familiar with are:

1) O'Leno State Park - West of Jax on I-10 near Lake City (about an hour trip) and the whole loop is 13 mi (4-5 to the campsite then a loop for the rest of the trail) Campsite is at Sweetwater Lake - good water supply. Interesting trail - the river goes underground where you start the trail and the loop goes to where it comes up again - very interesting to see...

2) Rodman Dam - South of Jax (take US 17 south to FL 19 South - cross over the Cross Florida Barge Canal (very tall bridge - you will know when you are on it) then take the first Right - follow the road to the Dam and then the Florida Trail goes from the dam to the south for about 10 miles to a campground - nice place to eat and get water, then turn around and head back about a mile and camp along the trail (for free).

3) St Johns Water District - Take US 1 south just past St. Augustine to FL 206 and turn left. Go about 1-2 miles and the parking is on the left (be sure to go to the 2nd parking area on the left - better hike from there) It is about 6 miles one way to a nice campground (picnic tables) on a salt marsh. THERE IS NO WATER ON THIS TRAIL - there is a pump at the campsite, but it comes from the marsh and is salt water. Still a nice hike - lots of wildlife and birds. There is one stretch of powerline hiking through sand and a water crossing (about 10 yards wide a few weeks ago) but it is well marked. We saw panther (perhaps large bobcat) tracks on our way out - would have been nice to see a cat that size in the wild...

Happy hiking where ever you end up!

k4kam
01-10-2006, 23:47
1 - Guana River State Park - Near South PonteVedra Beach. 9-mile circuit.

2 - Contact:

BLACK CREEK OUTFITTER
10051 SKINNER LAKE DRIVE
JACKSONVILLE, FL
904-272-9449

A full hiking and kyaking store. They can give you lots of suggestions.

3 - Find a copy of "50 Hikes in North Florida," Sandra Friend, ISBN 0-88150-530-7.

Go for it!
John "K4KAM"

totempole99
01-11-2006, 01:01
North of Jacksonville on Amelia Island there are some trails I know of. Fort Clinch has I think 6+ miles of trails along some pretty marsh. Across the street from the Fort and behind the recreation center there is a pathway called Egan's Creek Greenway, which goes for a couple of miles along some more marsh (recently made that way). If you do go for Egan's Creek Greenway and park behind the rec center, make sure once at the far side of the greenway, to hang a right at the road crossing for 100 yards or so, as there is more greenway back there.