PDA

View Full Version : Transportation from Fontana to Damascus

jimmyjam
09-08-2016, 13:52
A friend and I will be hiking SOBO in October from Damascus thru the Smokys and are looking for options on how to get back to Damascus.

TNhiker
09-08-2016, 14:29
maybe hike inn will do that distance....

maybe a walk in the woods..............

thats a good distance to go, so it could, lets say, get interesting......

Gambit McCrae
09-08-2016, 15:46
What are your dates? Might be able to help myself..

jimmyjam
09-08-2016, 17:36
What are your dates? Might be able to help myself..

We should arrive at Fontana around Oct 21 -23. I was thinking along the lines of a shuttle to a rental car. Drive to Damascus if there is a return rental there or drive to nearest town with same rental company and then shuttle to our car in Damascus

TNhiker
09-08-2016, 22:58
Ya know---that might not be as bad as it sounds....

with a quick google search---found there's a rental company in Abington...

sooooo......with va creeper trail right having a terminus in Abington---might be able to get one of the many shuttle services outta Damascus to take ya over there........

or just hike the creeper trail right from the at.....

i would tend to figure during those dates that Damascus would be full of people doing the creeper....

Gambit McCrae
09-09-2016, 08:24
Drive owned car, and rental (picked up in closest town to Fontana), to Fontana dam.
Get in rental and drive to Abington return car.
Could get a shuttle service like sundog in Damascus to come get you its about a 30 min drive I believe.
Start hike in Damascus walk to Fontana.

tflaris
09-10-2016, 22:37
A Walk in the Woods will do that shuttle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-K
09-11-2016, 08:08
That's a $350 shuttle and will take the better part of a day for the driver. I'd pay it because the hassle factor of the rental car plus the cost of the rental car wouldn't be worth $350 to me. If you've got time to kill and want a bit of an adventure, rent the car but if you want to do it the most efficient way hire a shuttle driver. You just have to place a value on your time and how much money you want to spend.

(In 2 weeks I am going to pay someone $195 to take me from Fontana Dam to Springer - my time is worth it. I could get someone to do it for $125 but the extra $70 I'm willing to pay because I'm 99.9999% sure they'll show up on time.)

Not to shill for my own service but the shortest route between Fontana and Damascus runs through Erwin on I26 - I can do it.

la.lindsey
09-11-2016, 10:30
Not to shill for my own service but the shortest route between Fontana and Damascus runs through Erwin on I26 - I can do it.

10-K is hands down one of my all-time favorite shuttle drivers, and encouraged me to hike better than I ever have in my life (turned a 3 day trip into a two day trip and did a 25 then a 30 mile day thanks to a shuttle ride with him).

I even arrived 30 minutes early, and he arrived 29 minutes early, and had the most encyclopedic knowledge of the trail I've ever encountered.

A billion thumbs up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-K
09-11-2016, 10:38
Thank you!