PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in TN/VA in November?

Bob Coleman
09-09-2016, 13:03
I missed my yearly AT hike this summer! But I have to be near Front Royal the Monday after Veteran's Day (11/11), so I thought I would get out for the weekend beforehand.

My plan is to drive from Atlanta on Friday morning, stop somewhere in Virginia (possibly northern Tennessee), get an hour or two on the trail, Hike Saturday and Sunday, then finish the drive Sunday afternoon/evening.

So, where should I go?

Picturesque would be nice, although I'll be a few weeks behind the fall color. Looking for 25-30 total miles. And ideally a reliable shuttle so I don't have to do a loop.

Thanks!

illabelle
09-09-2016, 13:53
You can't go wrong in the Roan Mtn area. Always beautiful.
Use www.atdist.com to narrow down the specific start/stop points.
Find a shuttle from the list below:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%206-7-11.pdf

CalebJ
09-09-2016, 14:20
Anything in the Smokies or Mount Rogers region is excellent. Hard to go wrong going across Wilburn Ridge, heading up to Mt. Sterling, etc.

MuddyWaters
09-09-2016, 14:38
Mt Rogers/ Grayson Highlands.

ernie84
09-09-2016, 14:47
+1 for Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands. Unique in the Southern Appalachians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Roper
09-09-2016, 14:55
If cold or rainy weather turns out to be a problem, one lower altitude option would be to hike Iron Mountain for the final stretch into Damascus. The last 20-30 miles leading is mostly in Tenn. (with about 3 miles in Virginia) and is mostly at about 3,500 to 4,000 feet, or about 1,000 to 1,500 feet lower than the Grayson Highlands/Mount Rogers stretch.

It also gives you the option of ending or beginning at Damascus, where shuttle arrangements will be easy. There are two highways that cross Iron Mountian - a Tennessee highway that's about 30 miles south of Damascus and a US highway that's roughly 15-20 miles to the south.

It sounds like you are an experienced backpacker, so I won't go into weather possibilities. But if you happent to be unfamiliar with that area in November, post a follow-up question. Suffice to say it can range from nice to very ugly.

Theosus
09-10-2016, 08:35
It also gives you the option of ending or beginning at Damascus, where shuttle arrangements will be easy. There are two highways that cross Iron Mountian - a Tennessee highway that's about 30 miles south of Damascus and a US highway that's roughly 15-20 miles to the south.

It sounds like you are an experienced backpacker, so I won't go into weather possibilities. But if you happent to be unfamiliar with that area in November, post a follow-up question. Suffice to say it can range from nice to very ugly.

I'll second the Iron Mountain to Damascus section! Ive done parts of it - (starting at the south end and walking north -)

Iron Mountain to Carver's gap is decent, but you're going to walk up a LOT. Nice overnight.
Carvers to the 19E crossing is supposed to be one of the most beautiful sections in the area, 5 balds in about 10 miles with great views (I'm doing that section in two weeks), plus there's the big converted barn at Overmountain Shelter. Another decent overnight.
19E to US 321 is a solid 3 days but you need to start early if you don't want to walk at night. But there's a hell of an up and down at the end (up 1800 feet over 3 miles, and right back down to Watauga Lake).
The next section is going to be pretty, also - Wautaga Lake across the dam is pretty awesome, then its up up up for a while. Vandeventer Shelter is a nice place to stop if it's not busy, its on a little ridge by itself with a great view. But if it's busy there's nowhere else to go but about 3 miles down the trail where there are two BIG tent sites with a spring not 100 yards away. Its just an overnight if you stop at TN91.
We did the last section as an overnight in February - TN91 (Shady Valley) to Damascus. It snowed on our group as we set up camp, close to half an inch in spots. But most of it melted by morning.
The nice thing about off season hikes is how deserted the trail is. On the Damascus stretch, we were it. 8 of us, didn't see another soul going either way for 2 days. Our last hike was into Erwin a couple weeks ago. Our group ran into one NOBO LASH, and right as we got to erwin we passed a day hiker going the other way. But that was it. No crowds, no competition for tent sites. You can even go on into Virginia up around Greyson Highlands or McAfee Knob, both good sections. My friends did the Blue Ridge Parkway to Daleville over 3 days and loved it. Fulhardt Knob shelter is right above Daleville and has a great layout, lots of open space, a privy and a cistern for water, and right at the top of the hill.

HooKooDooKu
09-10-2016, 11:31
Anything in the Smokies...
I've done several hikes in GSMNP over the Veterans Day weekend. Low elevation hikes can be great that time of year because the weather usually isn't too cold yet, and there can be a beautiful carpet of leaves on the forest floor. Trails on the far side of Cades Cove can be ideal that time of year.

wishbone
09-10-2016, 21:54
Roan MT Highlands got my vote

Patrickjd9
09-11-2016, 11:44
One of the keys to late-season or winter hiking is to have an alternative plan for bad weather. You might plan to go to Roan Highlands or Mt. Rogers, but have an alternative at lower elevation if there's snow high up.

Also, watch hunting seasons in the fall. Think about buying a cheap blaze orange hat or vest. Mt. Rogers might be good because of the open country and the state park with no hunting. This makes the Smokies National Park an obvious choice.

Bob Coleman
09-12-2016, 12:22
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
My brother-in-law and I did Iron Mountain Gap to 19E a couple summers ago. It rained off and on, but we got a ton of those awesome scenes of clouds around the balds. 19E to 321 is next summer's plan. I've really only got two full days since I won't get on the trail until after noon on Friday. I also generally think hiking in the dark on a leaf carpet is unwise.
The Daleville stretch is intriguing as well, but I think a little far north for my timeline. Next fall maybe . . . ?
I still need to pull out my maps, but I think the Grayson highlands will work well with the lower area around Damascus as a backup. And if the weather looks too ugly I may chicken out. Cold and snow I can handle. Cold and heavy rain is the worst.
Thanks Patrick, for the reminder about hunting!

Dogwood
09-12-2016, 17:41
Iron Mt Loop

Rogers Mt loop

Grayson Highlands Loop

Loop or pt to pt in S NP that includes a segment of the AT but isn't restricted to the AT. IMO, the best of S NP is not restricted to the AT. There is another world by only using some of the AT and going further east incorporating elements of the Old Rag Circuit, White Oak Canyon, Jones Run, etc. Could even do a loop where the car is left at Skylands Area.

I second Dan Roper's advice.

Bob Coleman
09-22-2016, 14:03
All right, I finally made a plan!
I'll put in at Elk Garden and out at Dickey Gap. That makes a pretty short first day, 12 or so middle day, and what looks like a mostly downhill 9 mile third day. And gets me Mt Rogers and Grayson State Park the middle day when I'm not worried about a campsite before dark or getting off the trail early enough.
Is there anything I shouldn't miss a couple of miles on either end? If I can up there early enough I wouldn't mind a few more miles on the first day, and could certainly do a little farther the other days.
How is campsite availability? Is opportunity camping feasible or do I need to aim for shelters?
I'm far too excited about a trip 7 weeks out, I may need help.

carouselambra
09-22-2016, 14:11
Where do you currently plan on camping on your two nights?

Bob Coleman
09-22-2016, 19:47
First night 4-5 miles north of Elk Garden, wherever I can find a spot. Second night either Old Orchard Shelter or somewhere north of VA 603, wherever I end up.

carouselambra
09-22-2016, 20:18
First night 4-5 miles north of Elk Garden, wherever I can find a spot. Second night either Old Orchard Shelter or somewhere north of VA 603, wherever I end up.
If I recall correctly, there is not a lot of level ground between Old Orchard and VA 603/Fox Creek so that would be a good stopping point. There are a lot of camping spots behind the parking area at VA 603/Fox Creek. Elk Garden to Thomas Knob is 4.3 so that is a good stopping point as well. There are some campsites in the area behind the privy and some very nice campsites in the 1/2 mile north of the shelter. I remember ten years or so I was in one of those campsites the weekend before Thanksgiving and we had temps in the 20s and a nice snow. Walked out the next morning to Elk Garden and out of the clouds and you would have never known it was snowing up on the ridge. Be prepared. That elevation has its own ecosystem.

Bob Coleman
09-23-2016, 19:25
If I make good enough time (I like to eat a cold breakfast and get going early, somehow this sailor doesn't drink coffee!) I might aim for Hurricane mountain for night two. That would be a 14ish mile day though. Easily doable in June, November though . . . It looks like there ought to be campsites up there.

Bob Coleman
09-23-2016, 19:28
Be prepared. That elevation has its own ecosystem.

Tell me about it. I'm going to Rocky Mtn NP this weekend. It might snow.