PDA

View Full Version : Teahorse Hostel Harpers Ferry

Praha4
09-10-2016, 09:33
I've heard rumors the Teahorse Hostel had been sold and no longer a hiker hostel. I just tried calling them and the number is no longer in service.

anyone have news on if they have closed?

Praha4
09-10-2016, 20:14
I was able to get thru on the phone to Teahorse Hostel today in Harpers Ferry. They have not been sold, and are open for business. Just wanted to clear that up.

Engine
09-11-2016, 05:01
Have you actually stayed there? I've heard conflicting reports regarding Harpers Ferry being a good spot to spend the night and we are trying to figure out whether we should plan a maildrop there or not...

Furlough
09-11-2016, 06:45
Have you actually stayed there? I've heard conflicting reports regarding Harpers Ferry being a good spot to spend the night and we are trying to figure out whether we should plan a maildrop there or not...

I have stayed there twice for AT section Hikes. Both times Laurel shuttled me. Once from HF down to Rte 522 (where the AT crosses 522 outside of Front Royal), and from PENMAR park back to HF. Both times the stays were pleasant, the waffle breakfast appreciated, and the location convenient. I would recommend a stay here.

Furlough

rafe
09-11-2016, 07:22

Spent a night there back in May of this year while cycling the GAP. It's a bit of a walk from the trail proper but no big deal for any hiker or cyclist. Harpers Ferry is definitely worth a zero or nearo. The hostel gets both hikers and cyclists so it's an interesting mix.

map man
09-11-2016, 09:28
I stayed there for five nights in the fall of 2014 when I was doing a week of volunteer work at ATC HQ. Laurel is indeed wonderful and runs a terrific business (it is the cleanest AT hostel I have stayed at). I really liked the vibe there with both hikers and cyclists to chat with each evening. It's less than a half mile from the trail and from ATC HQ.

Halfblind
09-11-2016, 12:29
I have stayed at the Tea Horse in 2015 and again in June of 2016. As others have said this is one of the CLEANEST hostels I have every stayed at on any trail. This year Laurel's son was running the place. The price has not gone up in the two years that I have stayed there about $ 33 with breakfast. I will stay there again in 2017.

twilightzone
09-11-2016, 12:58
Engine - My stay at Tea Horse last year was awesome, especially the waffle breakfast!

In general I loved hanging out in Harper's Ferry for a day ... so much history! Try to do the ghost tour at night - it was pretty hilarious/informative!

Cheyou
09-11-2016, 14:12

Stayed one night . Left rested with clean clothes enjoyed town food very clean . I guess if your a jet setter just spend more money for a fancy place.

Thom

Coffee
09-11-2016, 14:16
I agree that Teahorse is one of the cleanest hostels anywhere. I've stayed there before and glad to know that they are still open. I might need HF accommodations this fall and good to have them available.

coach lou
09-12-2016, 07:36
I also stayed after a walk from from Pa. Laurel was wonderful, clean place, she kept the riff Raff out (sorryRafe), shuttled me. I wish I could have bought the place myself. I hope the new owner/operator kepts the same standards. I will now look to stay there any time in HP. Not to forget 'The Anvil', 3/4 doors down the street. Yueng Ling on tap! Excellent menu!

coach lou
09-12-2016, 07:37
Does anyone know the status of the small cottage she owned 'in town'?

The Kisco Kid
09-12-2016, 11:18
Tea Horse is nice. I disagree that "it's a bit of a walk from the trail" Come on we're hikers! It can't be more than a five minute sidewalk stroll from the ATC headquarters and it's right on the main drag so easy to get to.

Other option is the Hostel across the river which is also recommended. It's two miles outside of town, so I wouldn't stay there if you're planning to use town facilities (though a taxi is available)