PDA

View Full Version : 4 night gear list for Smokies in November

stilllife
09-11-2016, 12:44
I am trying to reduce my base weight and it seems I can't get it under 15 lbs. I admit I'm not a gram weenie and like some comfort. I've attached a link to Gear Grams for my list. It's not complete but close. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Also, If I were to attempt an AT thru starting mid February at Springer, what additional winter clothing would you suggest. Thanks
Roy

https://www.geargrams.com/library

TNhiker
09-11-2016, 12:48
I would like to look at list---but that link takes me to some login screen...

10-K
09-11-2016, 13:40
Well.. in general...

You don't need anything to hike other than the clothes you're wearing and some trekking poles... and you don't need anything to sleep but a pad, shelter and bag. Then you probably want to have a headlamp, So.. now you can walk, sleep, and see at night.

That's 95% of your day right there and you need very little for it. The rest of the stuff is for the other 5% of your day.

You'll need to eat so you need food and something to carry it in plus a stove, pot, spoon, and fuel unless you don't cook and some water and something to carry it in.

There's hygiene - a bit of toilet paper, toothbrush, some toothpaste and 2 baggies for that. A dozen ibuprofen, a few bandaids, a single edge razor blade and a baggie for that.

Cell phone is nice... maps and/or pages out of the guidebook and a baggie for that if you've never hiked this section before.

It might rain so some rain gear. 2 extra pair of socks. It's November so maybe a puffy jacket and a beanie so add a stuff sack.

That would get me through a 4 day hike. It's not much different for a 4 month hike - you'd just need to tweak it a little.

Method #2 is to start packing and as soon as you say, "Well I might need this." ... Stop right there. :)

10-K
09-11-2016, 14:10
Also, If I were to attempt an AT thru starting mid February at Springer, what additional winter clothing would you suggest.

BTW, I'd suggest you not start in mid February. Consider the 1st week of May.

stilllife
09-11-2016, 14:18
I emailed the link to me and it opened. Not sure why it's not here.

stilllife
09-11-2016, 14:19
when I click on the link it opens to my gear page.

stilllife
09-11-2016, 14:21
Well.. in general...

You don't need anything to hike other than the clothes you're wearing and some trekking poles... and you don't need anything to sleep but a pad, shelter and bag. Then you probably want to have a headlamp, So.. now you can walk, sleep, and see at night.

That's 95% of your day right there and you need very little for it. The rest of the stuff is for the other 5% of your day.

You'll need to eat so you need food and something to carry it in plus a stove, pot, spoon, and fuel unless you don't cook and some water and something to carry it in.

There's hygiene - a bit of toilet paper, toothbrush, some toothpaste and 2 baggies for that. A dozen ibuprofen, a few bandaids, a single edge razor blade and a baggie for that.

Cell phone is nice... maps and/or pages out of the guidebook and a baggie for that if you've never hiked this section before.

It might rain so some rain gear. 2 extra pair of socks. It's November so maybe a puffy jacket and a beanie so add a stuff sack.

That would get me through a 4 day hike. It's not much different for a 4 month hike - you'd just need to tweak it a little.

Method #2 is to start packing and as soon as you say, "Well I might need this." ... Stop right there. :)

That pretty much sums it up!

stilllife
09-11-2016, 14:24
BTW, I'd suggest you not start in mid February. Consider the 1st week of May.

I was thinking I might avoid most of the summer heat and bugs by starting early

TNhiker
09-11-2016, 15:37
when I click on the link it opens to my gear page.

i think that's because you bought/installed the app....

10-K
09-11-2016, 16:25
I was thinking I might avoid most of the summer heat and bugs by starting early

Keep in mind everything I'm saying is my opinion.

First, to avoid the summer heat and bugs you have to stay on the trail that long. Leaving in February means at the very least you're going to be carrying winter gear 400 miles which means a heavy pack. Days are short, nights are butt cold and if past is prologue you'll be driven off the trail by snow a few times and wind up spending a bunch of money staying in town. Psychologically you'll be seeing a lot of demoralized hikers because of how tough winter hiking is and that takes it toll on you too. Then, just when the snow leaves you walk in the spring rain the last few weeks of March and all of April.

If you leave the first week of May you miss all the winter weather, and start after the "April showers". May in the southern Appalachians is like heaven. Another bonus of leaving in May is that your pack never need weigh 20 lbs unless it's by choice - you can forget the winter stuff. But, if something comes up you're in a town at least every 40 miles all the way to Hot Springs so if you need anything you won't have to wait long to get it. You'd start catching hikers who left in April, then in March, and before long you'd be right in there with the herd.

stilllife
09-11-2016, 17:11

First, to avoid the summer heat and bugs you have to stay on the trail that long. Leaving in February means at the very least you're going to be carrying winter gear 400 miles which means a heavy pack. Days are short, nights are butt cold and if past is prologue you'll be driven off the trail by snow a few times and wind up spending a bunch of money staying in town. Psychologically you'll be seeing a lot of demoralized hikers because of how tough winter hiking is and that takes it toll on you too. Then, just when the snow leaves you walk in the spring rain the last few weeks of March and all of April.

If you leave the first week of May you miss all the winter weather, and start after the "April showers". May in the southern Appalachians is like heaven. Another bonus of leaving in May is that your pack never need weigh 20 lbs unless it's by choice - you can forget the winter stuff. But, if something comes up you're in a town at least every 40 miles all the way to Hot Springs so if you need anything you won't have to wait long to get it. You'd start catching hikers who left in April, then in March, and before long you'd be right in there with the herd.

Thanks 10-K. Great info.

stilllife
09-11-2016, 17:22
I think this should work... I hope

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=35668

rhjanes
09-11-2016, 17:28
You list a Golite umbrella. I'd forget that. A Tilly hat perhaps?

stilllife
09-11-2016, 17:40

One thing that worries me leaving that late is I'm 55 and I don't plan on hitting the trail hiking 15-20 mile days right away. I want to give my self two -three weeks to get my legs in shape. After that I don't plan on "rushing" and and hopefully having a nice stroll. So with that In mind I don't know if I would finish in time. Thoughts?

jjozgrunt
09-11-2016, 19:41
Mate - can I just say your gear list is very confusing as some items are listed in grams and some in ozs. Plus some of the weights are ??? 12 stakes are listed as a total of 11grams (world's lightest stakes). I haven't used that program but surely there is a way to change the whole thing to one or the other and get rid of all the things you aren't taking to make it more readable.

LIhikers
09-11-2016, 20:47
Let me suggest you do without the wind shirt and wind pants.
If it gets windy enough to make you cold use your rain gear to block the wind.

stilllife
09-11-2016, 21:43
Mate - can I just say your gear list is very confusing as some items are listed in grams and some in ozs. Plus some of the weights are ??? 12 stakes are listed as a total of 11grams (world's lightest stakes). I haven't used that program but surely there is a way to change the whole thing to one or the other and get rid of all the things you aren't taking to make it more readable.

I will work on that for sure. Thanks

stilllife
09-11-2016, 21:44
Let me suggest you do without the wind shirt and wind pants.
If it gets windy enough to make you cold use your rain gear to block the wind.

What if my rain gear is wet and I need a layer over my down?

saltysack
09-11-2016, 23:15
What if my rain gear is wet and I need a layer over my down?

WHAT IF'S.......will have your pack staying heavy! Wouldn't hike in down anyway....you will get wet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
09-11-2016, 23:41
Why do you have 7 pounds of water listed?

Down gear is for when you are in camp. If its raining and you are in camp, you are in your tent or shelter. Keep a dry set of baselayers to sleep in. Hike in minimal clothing. Even in subzero weather, I'm not hiking in down. In November, long sleeve baselayer, maybe a 100 wt fleece and a windshell. Normal hiking pants, it's not that cold, if you're moving.

Hikingjim
09-12-2016, 08:09
regarding start time, at the north end of the trail, august/september are fabulous months. You don't need to avoid those.
June/July are much worse to hike in for states like vt/maine, so no need to start early if your purpose is bugs/heat avoidance

There could be other reasons to start early though (solitude, your schedule, etc)

10-K
09-12-2016, 11:38
I just had a look at your gear list. You've got a lot of stuff.

But...it's not the end of the world. If you're really interested in going lighter/ultra light as you gain experience you'll find out what you use and don't use. It's hard to go from #35 lbs to #18 without the requisite experience required to get there. People will say "you don't need this" but it's a lot better when you are able to say "I don't need this.". For example - you have concerns about your rain gear being wet if you're also using it as a wind jacket. That's quasi-reasonable so go for it and if you keep hiking you'll learn that maybe you don't need an extra wind jacket after all. It means a lot more if you come to the conclusion yourself.

My wife says I have enough gear to take me and 4 people I don't like hiking. :)

sadlowskiadam
09-12-2016, 12:00

AGREED. I started my thru hike on April 28th at Springer, and I was able to miss most of the bad weather. By the time I got to Virginia, I had caught up with the hiker bubble. The heat in the mid-Atlantic states was difficult, but not as bad as winter conditions and freezing rain. Much easier to cool down in summer by drinking cold spring water than trying to heat up avoid hypothermia in winter. If I ever thru hike again, I would start anytime between April 20 - May 7. You will have plenty of time to finish Maine by Oct. 15th. Just my 2 cents.

Deacon
09-12-2016, 12:01
I noticed your dirty water bag is listed as 4.6 lbs. carrying the bag is one thing, but I hope your not planning on carrying it full of water. In general, water is plentiful in the south.

stilllife
09-12-2016, 12:20
I just had a look at your gear list. You've got a lot of stuff.

But...it's not the end of the world. If you're really interested in going lighter/ultra light as you gain experience you'll find out what you use and don't use. It's hard to go from #35 lbs to #18 without the requisite experience required to get there. People will say "you don't need this" but it's a lot better when you are able to say "I don't need this.". For example - you have concerns about your rain gear being wet if you're also using it as a wind jacket. That's quasi-reasonable so go for it and if you keep hiking you'll learn that maybe you don't need an extra wind jacket after all. It means a lot more if you come to the conclusion yourself.

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna clean up my list and repost it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
09-12-2016, 12:53

I had the same realization when I went hiking with some friends who didn't have much gear. "don't worry guys, I have all of you covered!"

I think I ended up carrying all the old crap stuff though!

stilllife
09-12-2016, 16:15
AGREED. I started my thru hike on April 28th at Springer, and I was able to miss most of the bad weather. By the time I got to Virginia, I had caught up with the hiker bubble. The heat in the mid-Atlantic states was difficult, but not as bad as winter conditions and freezing rain. Much easier to cool down in summer by drinking cold spring water than trying to heat up avoid hypothermia in winter. If I ever thru hike again, I would start anytime between April 20 - May 7. You will have plenty of time to finish Maine by Oct. 15th. Just my 2 cents.

How many miles a day did you average?

stilllife
09-12-2016, 16:17
I noticed your dirty water bag is listed as 4.6 lbs. carrying the bag is one thing, but I hope your not planning on carrying it full of water. In general, water is plentiful in the south.

Ha! Actually that was a typo and a good one because I dropped 4 lbs by changing that!