PDA

View Full Version : What are your future hiking plans?

10-K
09-11-2016, 13:46
For me...

2016 - Superior Hiking Trail (done)
2017 - Colorado Trail
2018 - CDT (what I have left of Montana/Wyoming)
2019 - CDT (New Mexico)
2020 - Open (probably a big AT section since it's local)
2021 - PCT again for 60th birthday.

Coffee
09-11-2016, 14:14
I haven't attached specific years to most of these but this is my overall bucket list, not in any particular order, but with ones I"m more likely to do within a few years listed first. My next hike is a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim in mid October.

Arizona Trail
John Muir Trail thru hike in seven days or less (hiked 2 1/2 times previously)
Tour du Mont Blanc (organized ultra or independent fastpack - hiked once before)
Colorado Trail thru hike (hiked once before)
GR10 (Pyrnees - Atlantic to Mediterranean)
Long Trail
Tuscarora Trail
AT Thru Hike
PCT Thru Hike (already done southern third up to Tuolumne)
CDT Thru Hike
Via Alpina
Te Araroa
Camino Del Norte
Pacific Northwest Trail

Yeah, so I pretty much want to do it all but I'm turning 43 this month so I still have time.

Dogwood
09-11-2016, 15:28
These are just the names of what folks will recognized in the U.S. The majority of my Top 10 hikes aren't completing named trails/routes or thru-hiking as most define it or most would know the hikes - unnamed hikes

Unitas Highline Tr/Route
Centennial Trail in Idaho
Medicine Bow Wyoming 100 mile hike
Big Foot Tr although also like Sage Clegg's Japhy Ryder Route too that takes in a lot of segments from different trails/routes http://sageclegg.com/expeditions/japhy-ryder-route/ I'd be throwing in Cali's Lost CoasT tr onto it though
Finishing the PNT
Finishing the Cali Coastal Tr.
Another PCT thru(love the PCT!)
Pictured Rocks Nat. Seashore
Another Mauna Loa to Mauna Kea hike
Maah Daah Hey Tr
Denali NP
Wrangell - St Elias NP
More hikes in Yellowstone NP

Praha4
09-11-2016, 15:48
leaving next week:
AT NoBo section hike: Thornton Gap, VA to Deleware Water Gap, PA

decided to get my a*s back on the AT and get it finished, I keep getting detoured to the LT in Vermont in Aug-Sept
surgery for torn achilles tendon in Aug-15 now appears to have been a total success, hiking without heel pain now

Christoph
09-11-2016, 15:53
Most current (next weekend!! Woohoo!!) is my 2nd section with my brother from the Audie Murphy memorial, Dragons tooth, McAfee, Tinker, Hay Rock, and then into Daleville.
After that, I'm not too sure, but I would like to try my hand at a short winter section.
2017 planning another thru attempt. Not picking up where I left off last time (Blackhorse Gap on Skyline Drive in Va), but starting completely over.

TNhiker
09-11-2016, 16:00
After a year and a half of non backpacking nor many outdoor activities----I'll just be happy to get out and do anything....

Malto
09-11-2016, 16:09
In a couple of week I leave for a 380 mile stroll through the Winds, Gros Ventre Wilderness, Tetons and Yellowstone. Beyond that, hmmm.

MuddyWaters
09-11-2016, 16:11
near term....spend 1.5 weeks watching leaves turn somewhere in October, maybe Shenandoah.

my month trip this yr was preempted by work project schedule changes.:(

Roper route (SHR)
Torres del Paine (my employer has a site in Chile I want to wrangle an assignment to)
CDT thru Weminuche
Wonderland
Various in Glacier NP
Maybe a full PCT thru in about 5 yr, maybe not.

JohnHuth
09-11-2016, 16:55
Patagonia in late November
There's a trail in the Italian Alps - the Glorious Return - I've hiked all of it in the Italian section, but want to finish off a stretch from Geneva to Val d'Isere in France
GTA trail in the Alps (overlaps with the Glorious Return trail in sections)

rafe
09-11-2016, 16:56
Slo's got me thinking about a trek of the Colorado Trail. Heck, we'd talked about doing it together next summer and then I went and got a job. Silly me, what was I thinking? Would love to do the JMT but the registration process just seems like a huge PITA.

Short term -- starting in about a week and a half -- some strenuous day hikes in the vicinity of Florence, Cinque Terre, Venice and Prague.

Long term, most likely revisiting favorite sections of the southern AT. Haven't hiked anywhere south of Pearisburg in eons.

Bronk
09-11-2016, 17:06
In August, on a whim, looking at my fat self in the mirror, I decided to set a goal of hiking 500 miles over the next year. The last few years I've only been doing 4 or 5 twenty mile trips a year, though I did do a 40 mile trip last year. I've already done about 30 miles on day hikes. In a couple weeks I'll be doing a 70+ mile hike on the Ozark Trail. This fall I have 4 short overnight trips planned on local loop trails that will log another 52 miles. In the spring I want to do a thruhike of the Katy Trail which will add another 237 miles. That will put me close to 400 miles. There are also quite a few short 1 to 3 mile day hikes in the area that I can do several times as they are right on my way to work. Hoping to drop 25 pounds and keep my blood pressure under control.

Decibel
09-11-2016, 17:22
The Cohos Trail in NH

ernie84
09-11-2016, 19:34
Planning to do a short, 42 mile, section hike from VA 42 near Ceres to VA 611 over Columbus Day weekend.

garlic08
09-11-2016, 19:41
2017 I'll turn 60 and would like to re-hike the CT, since the TH is practically in my back yard.

Sometime after our aging dog is gone, my wife and I want to hike in Italy. We're calling it Year One AD (After Daisy).

Bronk
09-11-2016, 20:49
2017 I'll turn 60 and would like to re-hike the CT, since the TH is practically in my back yard.

Sometime after our aging dog is gone, my wife and I want to hike in Italy. We're calling it Year One AD (After Daisy).This is actually something I worry about...my dog is 10 years old and is of a breed that normally lives to 15 or 16...so in the next few years I'm going to likely have a harder time doing the backpacking thing depending upon how much longer he can continue to hike with me. He did 40 miles last year but the last day every time we stopped he laid down and literally instantly fell asleep. When it was time to go he was up and running...never balked about having to get back on the trail. But it makes me wonder what his limit is. For my upcoming 70 mile trip we have a backup plan for someone to pick him up if we find he can't make it the whole way.

chknfngrs
09-11-2016, 21:21
To hike as much as I can. Period. Next weekend taking my 7 year old from Snickers Gap to Harper's Ferry. From there, hike the AT when and where I am able

map man
09-11-2016, 21:21
2017: AT Damascus to Bland
2018: AT Bland to Daleville
2019: Hopefully retirement and an AT SOBO thru-hike attempt

Other hikes I want to tackle after retirement:

PCT SOBO thru-hike
YoYo hikes of the Colorado Trail, Long Trail and Superior Hiking Trail
And then in 2030 be the first guy to do a YoYo hike of the AT while in his 70s -- well, a guy can dream.

Just don't tell my wife:rolleyes:

Heliotrope
09-11-2016, 21:35
The HMW again- next week. It's the closest AT section to me. ;)

The whole state of Maine in one shot.

AZ trail

Grand enchantment

Hayduke

PCT

The northern half of AT SOBO

To name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JumpMaster Blaster
09-11-2016, 22:25
For me...

2017 - Colorado Trail
2019 - CDT (New Mexico)

I had to double check your age to make sure I was seeing things right. Dude, you look GREAT for your age. I would have thought you to be in your 40s, easy.

imscotty
09-11-2016, 22:32
Slo's got me thinking about a trek of the Colorado Trail. Heck, we'd talked about doing it together next summer and then I went and got a job. Silly me, what was I thinking? Would love to do the JMT but the registration process just seems like a huge PITA.

Short term -- starting in about a week and a half -- some strenuous day hikes in the vicinity of Florence, Cinque Terre, Venice and Prague.

Long term, most likely revisiting favorite sections of the southern AT. Haven't hiked anywhere south of Pearisburg in eons.

Rafe, I can give you some tips for obtaining a JMT permit that worked for me. Definitely worth the effort.

I walked the Cinque Terre 30 years ago, the five towns are beautiful. Do you have reservations along the way? I can testify to the fact that the locals do not appreciate 'stealth campers' in their olive groves. Yikes! Fall should be a very nice time to do this. The food is great, the local white wine is great, the people are passionate.

I plan on doing the Bedford section of the BCT sometime in the next month. Perhaps you can join me for a little walk.

JumpMaster Blaster
09-11-2016, 22:34
Not too grand, but for the short term, finishing the missing link from US 321 to McQueens Gap. That will (finally) complete my Fontana- Fox Creek/Grayson Highlands section. I'm also going to revisit a few places this year to catch some fall foliage.

For nest year, my grand plans include hitting Dick's Creek Gap-Fontana, the Old Mitchell Trail out & back up and down Mount Mitchell, NC (highest point east of the Mississippi), and mainly to catch the TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE in August somewhere on the AT.

Aside from that, my hope and dream for 2017 is to hike The Narrows in Zion Nat'l Park, and to hike Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon, and Arches National Parks.

rafe
09-11-2016, 22:46
Rafe, I can give you some tips for obtaining a JMT permit that worked for me. Definitely worth the effort.

I walked the Cinque Terre 30 years ago, the five towns are beautiful. Do you have reservations along the way? I can testify to the fact that the locals do not appreciate 'stealth campers' in their olive groves. Yikes! Fall should be a very nice time to do this. The food is great, the local white wine is great, the people are passionate.

I plan on doing the Bedford section of the BCT sometime in the next month. Perhaps you can join me for a little walk.

I'll PM you when we're back from our expedition, early October. We won't be camping or backpacking in Europe this time around, in fact we've lined up pretty nice digs. But hopefully lots of walking. Walk, eat, drink. Rinse and repeat.

saltysack
09-11-2016, 23:12
Collegiate loop and Elbert starting next Monday Sept 19. At 41 years old married with two kids...16 and 10.....my extended trips only happen once per year and other than that I do 3-4 day sections mostly on the AT from Va south...last year it was (12.5 days)JMT, (3.5)FHT and few 3-4 day AT sections.....can't wait till I can retire! Hoping for retirement before 55. Too many trails to list! Hopefully the next 5-7 years will consist of the CT, LT, WRR and another JMT thru with my son. After retirement the PCT and CDT appeal to me more than the AT. If I ever thru hike the AT it would be a sobo Sept start.

AfterParty
09-11-2016, 23:35
Colligate loop
CT CDT Colorado hybrid
Hayduke
AT
For starters over the next few years

Maydog
09-12-2016, 04:56
Late October 2016: About 30 miles on the Foothills Trail (all I have time for)
November or December 2016: The Jesus Trail thru-hike (Nazareth to Capernaum)
January thru May 2017: Several TBD sections of the Israel National Trail
June 2017: 30 days on the AT and/or BMT. Details TBD.

Deacon
09-12-2016, 05:31
Sounds like some of you have some really big plans. Well here I am 71 years old today, so I don't have many years left, most likely. Next year, Lord willing, I'll finish the AT from Rutland to Katahdin.

I would love to do a PCT thru hike in the next couple years, but need to attend to my wife as her health is not the best. We'll see.

Tipi Walter
09-12-2016, 08:56
I have no grand plans and no long trail plans. My only plan is to keep getting out into the mountains around my home and within a four or five hour drive of my home. I may head to Mt Rogers for 3 weeks or visit Snowbird Creek or pull the AT south of Fontana or check out Big Frog/Cohutta or reenter the Citico/Slickrock or return to the Bald River/Upper Bald wilderness or pull some time in Pisgah NF.

Anyplace I can get dropped off at which is close to home. I just don't see the point in arranging a grand logistical Event with plane flights and motel overnights and baggage claims and shipping gear all just to live like a Neanderthal for a month.

10-K
09-12-2016, 09:13
I try to have 1 hike planned each year that requires actual planning - travel, resupply logistics, and navigational issues that are new to me.

I default to at least 500 AT miles every year (at least for the past several years). I try to hike Springer/Damascus annually and between Davenport Gap-Erwin and Erwin-Damascus a few times. I've hiked these sections so often that I can be ready to go in 15 minutes.

LittleRock
09-12-2016, 09:18
Finishing the Virginia section of the AT. My trip next month will put me over halfway, but with only 2 weeks/year for hiking, it's going to take a couple more years.

garlic08
09-12-2016, 09:42
This is actually something I worry about...my dog is 10 years old and is of a breed that normally lives to 15 or 16...so in the next few years I'm going to likely have a harder time doing the backpacking thing depending upon how much longer he can continue to hike with me. He did 40 miles last year but the last day every time we stopped he laid down and literally instantly fell asleep. When it was time to go he was up and running...never balked about having to get back on the trail. But it makes me wonder what his limit is. For my upcoming 70 mile trip we have a backup plan for someone to pick him up if we find he can't make it the whole way.

Yeah, we got to the point this year where we no longer take the dog on backcountry trips. It was too much off a struggle just to keep up--you could see it in her face and she would even ignore the wildlife. On my PCT hike, a friend whose spouse was supporting him brought their aging dog along on a few sections. It was horrible, but the dog died right after a long day. I've also heard of that happening from a ranger at Saguaro National Park in Arizona. If you can't carry your dog (ours weighs 12 pounds), definitely make plans, and it sounds like you have.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Shutterbug
09-12-2016, 10:35
Back to the Grand Canyon. My wife and I try to hike in the Grand Canyon each spring and fall. We are now in the process of introducing grandchildren to the Canyon. When each Grandchild reaches 13, they get a Grand Canyon hike. This will be my 33rd time to bottom of the Canyon.

Next spring we are going back to Peru to hike the Salkantay Inca Trail. We hiked it a few years ago and enjoyed it so much we are going back and taking a group of friends with us.

The Wonderland Trail is back on my list for later next year. I have hiked it numerous times, but have some friends who want to join me next year. Hopefully, the permit system will be in place for 2017.

zachzz12
09-12-2016, 11:49
Next spring we are going back to Peru to hike the Salkantay Inca Trail. We hiked it a few years ago and enjoyed it so much we are going back and taking a group of friends with us.

This was my first multi day hike. Glamping with outfitter llama path... What an incredible journey. LLAma path takes glamping to a new extreme. I want to return and hike it without a guide.

runt13
09-12-2016, 11:54
Remainder of the year 2016, explore the woods and trails near my new cabin on 10 acres in a very remote part of PA, as well as train for the future.

October 2017, Hike the NJ section of the AT with a few of my buddies.

September / October 2018, Hike the PA section of the AT

Pic a different state every year after that.

At one point fit in a non hiking year to canoe the Allagash wilderness waterway.

RUNT ''13''

SteelCut
09-12-2016, 12:07
In a couple weeks I'm hiking from Rockfish Gap to Harper's Ferry.

soumodeler
09-12-2016, 12:17
September 30-Oct 2: I-40 to Hot Springs

October 7-15: Hot Springs to wherever I end up at.

Somewhat considering a 14 day JMT thru hike next year or the year after. My new job has a 2 consecutive week vacation limit and no LOA so I am trying to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck with trips.

DuneElliot
09-12-2016, 12:20
The CT has always been in my head to do. I originally wanted to do it on horse back, but I sold my horses and now hiking it next year is on the horizons for me. The South Downs Way and part of the North Downs Way (in England) are likely to get done next year on my vacation back home. The SDW is also something my mom wants to do, even though she doesn't backpack.

I would love to thru-hike the PCT, but since I wouldn't have anyone to watch my dogs while gone it will likely be something I do after they are both gone and before I get another one.

The Camino and Te Araroa are both on my to-do list once I am done RVing full time and before I move back to England.

hikernutcasey
09-12-2016, 13:29
Leaving the day after Thanksgiving to knock out my last missing section in Virginia, Craig's Creek south to Pearisburg.

Next year, two sections up north...Lehigh Gap to Greenwood Lake NY and later Greenwood Lake north to somewhere in Connecticut.

Working full time and having a family makes it so hard to get more than a couple hundred miles a year in but I'm grateful for the time I have. I've got about 25 years to go until retirement but I'm already dreaming of the PCT, Colorado Trail and lots of wilderness hiking in the mountains of NC.

coach lou
09-12-2016, 14:27
I was chatting with my wife , Overload, about a short stroll from Davenport Gap to a hot soak NOBO!

coach lou
09-12-2016, 14:30
In a couple of week I leave for a 380 mile stroll through the Winds, Gros Ventre Wilderness, Tetons and Yellowstone. Beyond that, hmmm.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............MLK 5:sun

coach lou
09-12-2016, 14:32

All kidding aside Malto, that sounds like a great walk, I love that country......but you should squeeze a fly rod into your bookbag!

Greenlight
09-12-2016, 14:33
My plans have changed somewhat. Since I'm starting a new job that affords me 39 days off per year (excluding weekends), I'll be section hiking the AT in pretty big chunks over the next few years.

For me...

2017 - Colorado Trail
2019 - CDT (New Mexico)

AO2134
09-12-2016, 21:02
I am jealous 10-K of your resume. My goal was to hike every long distance trail that starts or ends in Georgia. I've hiked the Bartram Trail. I've hiked the Benton MacKaye Trail. I've hiked the Foothills Trail (although not technically in GA).

I will be finishing the Pinhoti Trail in 2-3 more sections.

After that, my goal is to get to "my" northern terminus of the AT. Damascus VA. (For my own mental sanity, I have decided the AT ends at Damascus, VA). The last section on the AT I did left me at Spivey Gap just south of the Erwin TN.

I've done all of this as a weekend warrior. Not a bad resume considering, but I am little sad. I am quickly running out of local long distance trails near me.

I suppose I will be rehiking these trails again very shortly.

Malto
09-12-2016, 21:16
All kidding aside Malto, that sounds like a great walk, I love that country......but you should squeeze a fly rod into your bookbag!

Absolutely no room. I have to cram 8 day food plus microspikes and other cold weather gear in that little Burn. Besides, we will be spending too much time in Brain eating amoeba invested hot springs. MLK5 is on my list.

MuddyWaters
09-12-2016, 21:27
I just don't see the point in arranging a grand logistical Event with plane flights and motel overnights and baggage claims and shipping gear all just to live like a Neanderthal for a month.

Seriously, you want to die without having been to places such as:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ87vozCj4QG594QWc7BvLYOeUQDRWtI sicoJM1FxvECLoc-7D7qg

?

I love the southern appalachians. Its my default for getting out as well because its close and logistically simple. I can take off for a week with little prep or notice, especially on AT. Repeating sections of trail in different seasons makes for different experiences.

But theres a big ol world out there besides the appalachians. Ill never get to see but a fraction, but Ill see what I can. Even if means saving years for certain trips.

Theres hiking long distsnce for hikings sake
Theres hiking to camp and spend time outdoors
Then theres also hiking to see certain stuff.

saltysack
09-12-2016, 22:41

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ87vozCj4QG594QWc7BvLYOeUQDRWtI sicoJM1FxvECLoc-7D7qg

?

I love the southern appalachians. Its my default for getting out as well because its close and logistically simple. I can take off for a week with little prep or notice, especially on AT. Repeating sections of trail in different seasons makes for different experiences.

But theres a big ol world out there besides the appalachians. Ill never get to see but a fraction, but Ill see what I can. Even if means saving years for certain trips.

Theres hiking long distsnce for hikings sake
Theres hiking to camp and spend time outdoors
Then theres also hiking to see certain stuff.

+1...where's that pic from? Damn list just got longer!

Tipi Walter
09-12-2016, 23:02

?

We here in the Southeast mountains have our special places, too. To me it's a mental thing, to appreciate nature's beauty wherever you can find it, unqualified. When I was a kid I used to backpack behind our house in some trees in a town in Oklahoma. It had a creek and some pollywogs and to me it was Yellowstone NP.

Miss Nature is Miss Nature wherever you go---a simple toad in the backyard is exactly the same as Wrangell-St Elias---it just requires a shift of attitude. I spent many years stealth camping around Boone NC back in 1980 etc and found wonderful delight hidden under a pine tree in a town cemetery or in the woods behind a grocery store. And we have our moments here in the mountains too---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/Citico-Wilderness-2002/i-CqqtgL2/0/L/trip%201.2-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2009/Trip-89-Backpacking/i-QfKPfmP/0/L/Trip%2089%20046-L.jpg

Leo L.
09-13-2016, 01:57
For the near future I intend to do more local hikes starting right out of the front door.
The bigger goal is to finally do what I call the "Backbone Austria", all the length over the Alps.
In late autumn hopefully I will be in the Middle East desert, attempting the Seven Summits of Sinai.

fiddlehead
09-13-2016, 01:59
Heading over to the Balkans to hike that Via Dinarica trail next summer.
Haven't done a thru since 2004, so, already started training for it and switched from my morning jog to my morning walk (up and down hills here in Phuket)
Picture above is from the Albania portion.

Here's one from the Montenegro part: 36198

MuddyWaters
09-13-2016, 02:36
+1...where's that pic from? Damn list just got longer!

Torres del paine national park
Patagonia, chile

Slo-go'en
09-13-2016, 10:24
Now that I cut my CT hike short (I'll explain in another thread) I'd like to sample the PCT (Washington) and the Winds sound nice. But long term I guess I'll stay close to home as traveling is both expensive and a pain.

10-K
09-13-2016, 11:10
I am jealous 10-K of your resume. My goal was to hike every long distance trail that starts or ends in Georgia. I've hiked the Bartram Trail. I've hiked the Benton MacKaye Trail. I've hiked the Foothills Trail (although not technically in GA).

I will be finishing the Pinhoti Trail in 2-3 more sections.

After that, my goal is to get to "my" northern terminus of the AT. Damascus VA. (For my own mental sanity, I have decided the AT ends at Damascus, VA). The last section on the AT I did left me at Spivey Gap just south of the Erwin TN.

I've done all of this as a weekend warrior. Not a bad resume considering, but I am little sad. I am quickly running out of local long distance trails near me.

I suppose I will be rehiking these trails again very shortly.

Consider adding the Sheltowee Trace Trail to your list. It's in Kentucky and ends in Big South Fork Recreation Area in middle Tennessee. It's an interesting 320ish mile trail - quite unlike any other I've hiked. It's sorta-kinda-a little like the Georgia Pinhoti.

greenpete
09-13-2016, 11:53
For me...

When/where will you hike CDT in 2018? I will be doing the Centennial Range along Montana/Idaho in early August, 2018. Probably several days to a week there.

grizzlyadam
09-13-2016, 13:38
Locally, I'm hoping to squeeze in the 170-mile High Country Loop sometime this fall.

There's always the Damascus Shuffle if I need to get out for a few days.

My wife and I have talked about starting to knock out sections of the AT when she isn't working (she's a teacher) in the summers.

I want to hike the Mountains to Sea Trail again to see how much it has changed since I first did it in 2005. Would also like another go at the CT. I'm always up for another trip to the Sierras. And, I wouldn't mind picking up where I ended my PCT section in 2011 at Tuolumne Meadows at some point.

Cadenza
09-13-2016, 14:09
https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2009/Trip-89-Backpacking/i-QfKPfmP/0/L/Trip%2089%20046-L.jpg

For sure, Bob Stratton "liked his neighbors distant and his weather brisk."

10-K
09-13-2016, 14:14
When/where will you hike CDT in 2018? I will be doing the Centennial Range along Montana/Idaho in early August, 2018. Probably several days to a week there.

Rawlins to Darby is the plan. Probably start in Rawlins and hike north as soon as the snow is clear. I'll make my way to Butte when I get to Darby and fly home from there.

illabelle
09-13-2016, 14:57
Consider adding the Sheltowee Trace Trail to your list. It's in Kentucky and ends in Big South Fork Recreation Area in middle Tennessee. It's an interesting 320ish mile trail - quite unlike any other I've hiked. It's sorta-kinda-a little like the Georgia Pinhoti.

And while you're there, be sure to do the 5.5 mile Honey Creek Loop (not sure if it's entirely coincident with the Sheltowee Trace) - or at least the western half of it. Well worth it.

illabelle
09-13-2016, 15:05
2016 - did the Whites in July; did Katahdin and the 70-mile-wilderness a couple weeks ago (yeah, we got out at Katahdin Ironworks Road); doing a quick little weekend section on the Old Settlers Trail in the Smokies mid-October. Should be lots of stuff to see there.
2017 - AT: mid-May, Great Barrington Mass thru Connecticut to Pawling New York; Sept, another week in Maine, between Caratunk and KI Road.
2018 - AT: Port Clinton to DWG; Wallingford Rd VT to Hanover NH.
2019 - AT: Franconia Notch to Hanover; clean up miscellaneous pieces NH/ME except Mahoosucs.
2020 - AT: New York from Bellvale to Pawling; Mahoosucs - finishing the AT at Grafton Notch.
after that? I don't know, the PCT is calling, but we won't do all of it. Too many other places to see.

Tipi Walter
09-13-2016, 20:59
For sure, Bob Stratton "liked his neighbors distant and his weather brisk."

Good eye and for sure as you've spent probably as much time atop the Bob as me.

Cadenza
09-13-2016, 22:05
Good eye and for sure as you've spent probably as much time atop the Bob as me.

No, I don't think so. But,....I have a plan. I'm looking to relocate to somewhere between Tellico Plains and Chattanooga in the near future. I'm going to get serious about catching up.

Mike Steger
09-15-2016, 06:57
Going to do a night hike mid october in pennsylvania with a full moon
2017 to 202? finish the AT in sections....400 miles of AT done so far

colorado_rob
09-15-2016, 07:37
Nice to see so many folks excited about hiking all over our beautiful country (and world) !

My wife is retiring in December, so we're fixin' to go kinda crazy, starting with a PCT attempt next spring. then maybe an AT attempt right after (for my wife, a repeat for me). Probably a multi-year schedule though, as we like to mix it up too much to mentally handle full 2200+ mile thrus.

And for something a little different, we're just about finished with our USA state highpoint quest (highpoint meaning literally the highest spot in all 50 states). After 6 years of a trip or two a year (mostly road trips, a few flights, like of course Alaska and Hawaii...), we've climbed (a few times merely driven...) to the high point of 44 states, just 6 to go! All easy ones, KY, OH, IN, NY, MO and KS, and we will finish next year on "top" of Kansas (no one on record has completed the 50 on Kansas, and it's close, so why not!).

This has been a terrific way to see the entire country. We try to do at least one other thing is all the states we visit, for example, we just returned from an upper Midwest state highpoint trip (IA, IL, WI, MI and MN) where we included a nice 5 day backpack on the Isle Royale national park island, and a 2-day canoe trip in the boundary waters. We also try to have at least one pint of local brew in every state.

Get out there and see our wonderful country!

Next list: complete a visit to all 60 national parks (we're up to about 30).

DixieMick
10-09-2016, 20:34
Lost Coast Trail NW Cali
any PCT in Cali after hiking parts of Oregon PCT
more Cali Coastal Trail--amazing views 1000 ft above Pacific
finish GA AT
More AT in Whites

Dogwood
10-09-2016, 21:05
And while you're there, be sure to do the 5.5 mile Honey Creek Loop (not sure if it's entirely coincident with the Sheltowee Trace) - or at least the western half of it. Well worth it.

It can be part of a Sheltowee Trace hike/thru-hike. ;) There are now two acceptable southern terminus ST endings; one can take in the Honey Creek Loop or at least part of it. The Sheltowee Trace is another worthy trail in need of greater support and people willing to consider thru-hiking it.

Sarcasm the elf
10-09-2016, 21:26
My plans involve putting one foot in front of the other and watching as my base weight increases. :sun

Edit: If I hit edit will the photo render correctly?

Edit: Nope...

Feral Bill
10-09-2016, 23:47
Next year, start NOBO on AT from Arden NY. Stop wherever around mid October. Take it it nice and slow.

HogFan
10-12-2016, 16:25
My goal for 2017 -

SOBO - Damascus to Hot Springs NC

NOBO - Springer Mtn to Hot Springs NC

Thru-hike the Foothills Trail

Hike as much of the Ozark Highlands Trail in Arkansas as I can starting at Lake Ft Smith.

left52side
10-12-2016, 17:16
Well as it stands right now although I tend to live by the day type of fella:p
My plans are
2016/2017

SHT (completed)
Sections of FT I have to complete.
Possibly pinhoti trail.

1)Nobo AT
2)Nobo CDT fastpack Sobo AT
3) If fiances are not available for 1 or 2 then A thru hike of the CT and long trail or another trail same distance.
4) possible SHT thru hike nobo the second time.

1)PCT nobo
2)Pacific north west trail thru
3)Benton Mackaye trail thru
4) Great western trail

All things change daily though.
As it stands at the current moment I am either planning A nobo thru of the AT.
Or of the CDT in march of 2017.
Winter of 2016 will be my next long miles hike of the FT where I am planning on roughly 600 miles of it. starting in January.

lyagooshka
10-12-2016, 18:14
Heading out from Pen Mar SOBO to Harpers Ferry October 17th -20th.
Hope to do NJ or CT in spring.
If all is well, hope to get the Hundred Mile Wilderness done next September(ish).

Venchka
10-12-2016, 20:35
2017:
Connect the dots:
Amarillo
Little Bighorn Battlefield N. M.
Hole In The Wall
Floe Lake
Berg Lake
Thorofare Cabin
Death Canyon Shelf
Cirque of the Towers
Somewhere in Colorado - RMNP maybe
Amarillo
Obviously a vehicle will be used for the big chunks of real estate.
Wayne