PDA

View Full Version : Flip-Floppers

goldielocks
09-11-2016, 16:23
Is anyone planning to flip flop starting in Shenandoah (Shenandoah > Katahdin, Shenandoah > Springer Mountain) or familiar with this plan?
What are your thoughts/opinions?

claybonnyman
09-22-2016, 12:38
I think that could work. My one key recommendation after just finishing (GA>VT<ME flip) is avoid the mid-Atlantic states in the heat of high summer. I suppose it will be the same or worse down south, but man, the PA-CT heat and humidity was just killer in July.

And beware Lyme disease in the mid-Atlantic states, especially. I got it and met several other hikers who were afflicted. It is not fun!

Enjoy your hike - it's quite a trail.

Pony

Slo-go'en
09-22-2016, 21:21
Starting in SNP is a viable option. If you wait until all the park services are open (campgrounds and way stations) you can buy food on the fly and stay well feed (but at a price), which can cut down on the amount of food weight you need to carry for that first week.

Otherwise you'd just as well off starting at Harpers Ferry, which has the advantage of being easier to get to via public transportation. The disadvantage is there isn't a decent grocery or even a convenience store in town, so be sure to bring all the food you'll need for the first 3-4 days. (which is generally a good idea no matter where you start).