PDA

View Full Version : Decided I want to hang!

AfterParty
09-11-2016, 23:30
I have been toyiing with the idea for a few weeks and reading and shopping. I decided to go with the Hennessey explorer ul 7ft version. And the camo tarp. Also went with the EE revolt 40 long. I am gaining a biit of weight in the switch but I'll know for sure 5-7 weeks from now. At least I'll learn the pitch before my UQ arrives. I'm pretty excited about this change.

Wise Old Owl
09-12-2016, 00:00
Awesome glad to hear... Try a few You Tubes on Woopies and knots.

DuneElliot
09-12-2016, 09:00
After this weekend, and sleeping terribly on the ground even with an air pad, as I often do, I am also going to trying hanging. I have a Dutchware netless on the way, which you can't beat for weight and cost. I'm going to try it out at home (have a wooden cross log/beam in my house to hang from) to try it first before splurging for the Revolt, just to make sure I like it. I can't sleep any worse in it than I do on the ground. The tarp will have to wait until next spring since I really want a HG Winter Palace in CF. Switching will actually save me some weight compared to my tent set-up by a couple of ozs.

AfterParty
09-12-2016, 09:33
It can be pretty overwhelming. Still have to figure out my preference in hanging and learn all the terminology. I have been using my neo air for a couple months and fighting back pains in the night. Plus I have always loved my old eno. I will rig this up in my basement as soon as I get it.

cneill13
09-12-2016, 11:22
There is a bit of a learning curve with a hammock but once you start hanging you will never want to sleep on the ground again.

My Warbonnet Blackbird XLC is actually more comfortable than my bed at home.

I hung last weekend on the edge of a cliff overlooking a 250 foot waterfall. I slept like a baby and didn't wake up until 8:30 am.

Try that with a tent.

Carl

cneill13
09-12-2016, 11:26
Make sure to check out

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

A great site for hammock camping.

Carl

DuneElliot
09-12-2016, 12:21
HF is great...love how welcoming they are, and how much they really want to get new people involved...it's almost like a super-friendly cult!!!

T.S.Kobzol
09-12-2016, 15:09
I have never slept deeper than in a hammock. Also napping, the sleep is so intense that when I wake up I have this drowsy, sweet sensation ... it is an amazing feeling.

AfterParty
09-12-2016, 15:39
I had a single nest for awhile. Slept in it for a year in Iraq, but I plan on some backpacking trips and needed everything but the hammock! That is why I went with the HH I got a complete kit for 200 on sale currently. I'm not sure if I will want a bigger tarp at some point. I did order some rings and caribiners as that looks like a great way to hang the HH. I do like the snake skin looks very user friendly.

cneill13
09-12-2016, 18:12
I also have a Hennessey U L Explorer like you ordered and use the rings and carabiner system. You are going to really enjoy the extra size and comfort of a larger hammock. It's a great setup. I checked out the camo tarp on line. I haven't seen that before. It looks pretty cool.

Please post some pics when you get it setup.

Carl

rafe
09-12-2016, 20:13
The thread title brought to mind this little ditty by Dorothy Parker...

“Résumé

Razors pain you,
Rivers are damp,
Acids stain you,
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful,
Nooses give,
Gas smells awful.
You might as well live.”

AfterParty
09-12-2016, 20:37
O really lol! Hanging the tarp separate allows for a more hunkered down pitch?

Greenlight
09-12-2016, 23:05
I think you'll love hanging. When you get to your site and set up, if it's raining, you just get your tarp up, and take it from there. You can instantly get dry clothes on, hang the hammock, cook and eat to warm up some more, then pull into your toasty nest and read or sleep. The asymmetric hammocks have you laying almost flat. The biggest surprise factor for me was just how much heat you lose without padding. It isn't a "down side" of hanging, it's just a reality. Your second purchase of significance will be an underquilt. But once that is on, the nest doesn't need much more. If it is in the 60's, you'll chill. There are some low cost newbie hacks for seasonal hanging, like using a military poncho liner and zip ties to rig up a cheap underquilt...you'll learn fast. Welcome to your place in the trees.

It can be pretty overwhelming. Still have to figure out my preference in hanging and learn all the terminology. I have been using my neo air for a couple months and fighting back pains in the night. Plus I have always loved my old eno. I will rig this up in my basement as soon as I get it.

jjozgrunt
09-13-2016, 00:46
I'm the opposite just giving up hanging as I can't get comfortable as a side sleeper. If you're after a CF tarp I just listed a 12' Hammock Gear one, with doors, tie backs, CF sleeve and Dutch Ware continuous ridge line, on the FS page. Used 9 times as new.

jeff_in_MD
09-14-2016, 00:45
I'm the opposite just giving up hanging as I can't get comfortable as a side sleeper. If you're after a CF tarp I just listed a 12' Hammock Gear one, with doors, tie backs, CF sleeve and Dutch Ware continuous ridge line, on the FS page. Used 9 times as new.
Never thought of that. I'm also looking into becoming a hanger but I'm a side sleeper. Has anybody been able to make it work?

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

T.Bates
09-14-2016, 08:03
You can absolutely sleep on your side in a hammock. I do it on every trip. You just need a long hammock in order to get a diagonal lay and then you can sleep on your side. I usually fall asleep on my side and then wake up on my back but I dont seem to notice because I wake up fully rested.

SouthMark
09-14-2016, 09:02
I have always slept on my side in my hammock. About 10 years now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just Bill
09-14-2016, 09:12

Try a bridge... Don't think I'm going to declare myself full time in either camp- but I find myself in the air more often than not since getting into bridge hammocks.
I generally disliked gathered ends... but the recent XL fabrics help with that. I have a working parallelogram hammock and a 60* that are helpful too. I can do an XL gathered end for a long weekend- but after that I miss a bridge.

While I am getting closer... haven't quite matched the weight of a ground setup but I am coming closer to a usable 2lb complete shelter (hammock, insulation, bugs, tarp, straps, etc)
The weight penalty was an initial turnoff- plus the all the new terminology and choices.

The bigger bridge shown- you can belly sleep in- so side sleeping is no issue.

Greenlight
09-14-2016, 10:03
If you're in an asymmetric hammock, there shouldn't be any problems being a side-sleeper. If you are a stomach sleeper, I could understand, but with the hammock properly hung, side sleeping is a piece of cake. Something I've noticed, though, is that even though I'm a "flopper" going from position to position when in a bed, I'm different in a hammock. I'm so comfortable in the default (back) position, I don't flop much. There is very little stress on the body when you're in a properly hung asym hammock.

Never thought of that. I'm also looking into becoming a hanger but I'm a side sleeper. Has anybody been able to make it work?

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

AfterParty
09-14-2016, 10:36
O I'm a flopper too! I can't wait till it gets here!!! Got my basement rigged up this morning so I will be able to hang my HH as soon as it gets here should get it this week!!!

DuneElliot
09-14-2016, 11:49
I'd be interested in how the Revolt performs and how you like it. Tim doesn't have as much of a presence on HF as some of the other UQ makers, but I have a TQ by EE and love it. I like the Karo baffles on the Revolt, just like I prefer the vertical baffles of the Convert/Revelation compared to all other TQs.

I had to send my Dutchware hammock back...they sent the wrong color and I forgot to add the knotty mod, so it will likely be another week or ten days before I get to try it out. Stuck in my shorter and narrower GT for now.

AfterParty
09-14-2016, 12:27
As soon as I get it I'll let you know. I am 100% happy with my TQ so I went back with EE, well besides waiting!

blue indian
09-14-2016, 19:13

Try a bridge... Don't think I'm going to declare myself full time in either camp- but I find myself in the air more often than not since getting into bridge hammocks.
I generally disliked gathered ends... but the recent XL fabrics help with that. I have a working parallelogram hammock and a 60* that are helpful too. I can do an XL gathered end for a long weekend- but after that I miss a bridge.

While I am getting closer... haven't quite matched the weight of a ground setup but I am coming closer to a usable 2lb complete shelter (hammock, insulation, bugs, tarp, straps, etc)
The weight penalty was an initial turnoff- plus the all the new terminology and choices.

The bigger bridge shown- you can belly sleep in- so side sleeping is no issue.

Wait, what kind of hammocks are those??

gbolt
09-14-2016, 21:06
I start on a diagonal, flat back, and figure four my left leg. If cold, I actually turn just a little more to that figure 4 side, push my butt against the side of the hammock and curl to get more captured heat. So I lay part way on my side. I actually am uncomfortable if I sleep fully on my side; like at home. May sound crazy but if I want to side sleep, I switch the pillow from an S2S Aeros to a down pillow for the side of my face and more softness. It's like my subconscious knows, S2S I am on my back figure 4, HG Down Pillow and I will curl a little more onto my side.

AfterParty
09-16-2016, 15:04
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/3/6/3/3/img_20160916_110129_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62002)

Once my dutch order arrives the tarp will be hung seperate.

Just Bill
09-16-2016, 15:38
Wait, what kind of hammocks are those??

Those are called bridge hammocks... I made the ones shown.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/ridgerunner-hammock/

This one and the Jack's R better bear mountain bridge are the only real commercial ones available at this time.

Theosus
09-17-2016, 05:23
I love hammock camping. Its the only way to go, for me. I've slept in temps from high 70s down to mid 20s, and been fine. The best thing about it is the fact you can set up a tarp in the rain and then go about setting up everything else. Ive had supper under my tarp before setting up the hammock, and breakfast after taking down the hammock, while my tenting friends were trying to eat in the rain. We've even had a group breakfast all under my HH Hex tarp. That thing is huge.
I've switched to the Hennessy ASYM silnylon tarp. It's lighter and a bit smaller, but still gives good coverage. I added a GrizzBeak that I can put on either end for blowing wind or rain, its worth the expense.

The Hennessy hammock is a decent hammock, I spent 2 years with it. But here are my thoughts:
Switch to whoopies. The stock ropes are big, bulky and heavy. I use whoopies I made with little Dutch Hooks on them, so I don't have to use carabiners or toggles. That little titanium hook is the only metal in the system. All my hammocks use the same system of tree strap to whoopie to continuous loop on the hammock, so everything is modular.

Get a winter hammock. Once you have the Hennessy tarp and straps and make your whoopie conversion, why mess with the mosquito net in the winter. I used an eno for a season before making my own hammock. It's nice just to be able to climb in and cover up, without the net or anything else. in the way. And the Winter hammock will be cheap if you have everything else. You can grab an ENO on sale for about what you could make it yourself, although it's much more fun to make them.

If you stick with Hammock camping, you might eventually move on from the hennessy. I bought one from Hammeck right before they went out of business (they quit because the family was busy doing non-hammock stuff like medical school, not because their stuff wasn't good). It's longer, lighter, has a better fabric feel, and it's made with fabric I custom tie-dyed and mailed to them. My only issue with Hennessy was really the fact it was too short. I bought the regular one and I should have bought the long one.

DuneElliot
09-17-2016, 10:07
I love hammock camping. Its the only way to go, for me. I've slept in temps from high 70s down to mid 20s, and been fine. The best thing about it is the fact you can set up a tarp in the rain and then go about setting up everything else. Ive had supper under my tarp before setting up the hammock, and breakfast after taking down the hammock, while my tenting friends were trying to eat in the rain. We've even had a group breakfast all under my HH Hex tarp. That thing is huge.
I've switched to the Hennessy ASYM silnylon tarp. It's lighter and a bit smaller, but still gives good coverage. I added a GrizzBeak that I can put on either end for blowing wind or rain, its worth the expense.

The Hennessy hammock is a decent hammock, I spent 2 years with it. But here are my thoughts:
Switch to whoopies. The stock ropes are big, bulky and heavy. I use whoopies I made with little Dutch Hooks on them, so I don't have to use carabiners or toggles. That little titanium hook is the only metal in the system. All my hammocks use the same system of tree strap to whoopie to continuous loop on the hammock, so everything is modular.

Get a winter hammock. Once you have the Hennessy tarp and straps and make your whoopie conversion, why mess with the mosquito net in the winter. I used an eno for a season before making my own hammock. It's nice just to be able to climb in and cover up, without the net or anything else. in the way. And the Winter hammock will be cheap if you have everything else. You can grab an ENO on sale for about what you could make it yourself, although it's much more fun to make them.

If you stick with Hammock camping, you might eventually move on from the hennessy. I bought one from Hammeck right before they went out of business (they quit because the family was busy doing non-hammock stuff like medical school, not because their stuff wasn't good). It's longer, lighter, has a better fabric feel, and it's made with fabric I custom tie-dyed and mailed to them. My only issue with Hennessy was really the fact it was too short. I bought the regular one and I should have bought the long one.

Other than sleeping terribly on the ground THIS ^^^ is the reason I got interested in hammocking and tarps. I was looking for a modular tent (like the Stratospire 1) but in cuben, which led me to the HG Winter Palace which led me to looking into hammocks in more than just a yard-hang prospect.

chknfngrs
09-19-2016, 06:04
I am a side sleeper at home, but have found that after hiking all day, once my hammock is in place nothing really matters. I don't worry if I'm on my side or not, I fall asleep comfortably every time!