PDA

View Full Version : Rain Kilt and Wind Chill

Turk6177
09-12-2016, 21:23
For those of you who have switched to a rain kilt, do you find a big loss in warmth from the wind protection of rain pants? I recall last year using my rain pants as a wind pants when it was windy and in the 40's while in camp. I was wondering if I would get some protection from the wind chill by wearing the kilt around camp.

My mother made me a silnylon rain kilt and I wanted to use it this fall during my GSMNP section hike.

As always, thanks in advance for your comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
09-12-2016, 22:50
I really like the rain kilt. We had a similar discussion on this recently....since I hike in shorts, I'm giving Mags dance pants a try....ill be bringing them with the rain kilt next week to Co........$18...ill try em....my wife did bust my balls as they came from a belly dance supplier.....damn Amazon...

Any UL wind/rain pants besides Driducks that aren't $$$$.

Dancing ripstop warm up pants

http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_701.html?camp=Froogle_701&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=701&utm_campaign=Pro

They are wind pants by any other name (not rain pants).

They are unisex. A large is about a 34"-36" waist and weighs 3.5 oz.

$21 with S&H

Reviews:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64702

Pirouetting optional.

I've been using the same pair for about 4 years now. I like the DriDucks/Frogg Togg jackets. I keep the pants in the car kit.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewhiteblaze%2Enet% 2Fforum%2Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D2089107&share_tid=120589&share_fid=24664&share_type=t&share_pid=2089107

bigcranky
09-13-2016, 06:57
My wife made my rain kilt years ago, and I love it. While hiking, it keeps my shorts from getting soaked, and also cuts the wind around my thighs and waist.

I don't wear it around camp, but I don't think it would add much warmth or cut much wind sitting around. I usually bring a pair of lightweight wind pants for that, or some zip off hiking pants.

Traillium
09-13-2016, 07:51
My wife made my rain kilt years ago, and I love it. While hiking, it keeps my shorts from getting soaked, and also cuts the wind around my thighs and waist.

I don't wear it around camp, but I don't think it would add much warmth or cut much wind sitting around. I usually bring a pair of lightweight wind pants for that, or some zip off hiking pants.

Ditto.

My wife cut up a silnylon tarp and out Velcro waist fasteners in (that I don't use). The kilt is great for hiking in!

I also carry a very flimsy pair of wind pants.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160913/17527679e2d6d50c81102a8abca1576d.jpg

Bruce Traillium, brucetraillium.wordpress.com

Starchild
09-13-2016, 08:30
I have not used it for wind, just rain. I would consider other clothes for warmth and perhaps in that case leave the kilt at home.

Just Bill
09-13-2016, 09:20
If you've got a long one like Bruce- it does work well for wind. I wear a plain calf length skirt (my winter skirt) and it's somewhere between shorts and pants for warmth.
If you wear it with tall socks or compression sleeves... it's superior to pants in my opinion.

The bigger thing is what else you have to see if it makes sense.

Works fine around camp with long undies- which you may have to sleep in anyway.

But if you are already bringing a rain pant- and it's cool enough to hike in that- not much point in a separate rain kilt.

If it is really chilly at camp- I just put my quilt on my legs while I'm sitting around.

So for me; skirt (regular not rain), long undies, and tall socks/.sleeves is a good combo into the 30's.

That said- a wind pant is about the lightest and least bulky thing to "add" if you're unsure and looking to supplement the kit. The rain skirt will add warmth either way if it's long.

nsherry61
09-13-2016, 09:25
I may be blowing hot air out my backside, but I think you guys are underestimating how warm a windproof skirt can be.

There is no way a kilt is as warm as a pair of pants, but I remember riding bicycles years ago with what we called rain capes (http://practicalpedal.com/fall2007/gear.php), essentially a pyramid-shaped shaped poncho, kinda like a mini Gatewood cape that created a tent from our necks down between our buts and our hands. Then, when riding in the rain, in shorts, it was surprising how much warmer it was at the top of the pedal stroke (inside the cape) that it was as we extended our knees out from under the cape at the bottom of the stroke.

If you want a little extra warmth, yes, I think a kilt would probably actually provide that. If you want more, you better put on some pants or get a longer kilt.

Just Bill
09-13-2016, 09:32
You are blowing hot air out yer backside- course we all are... which is the point of a skirt in the first place really.

I agree- I am a warm hiker but I don't personally own or use a rain skirt (versus a plain wind skirt) because they are too hot to walk in. Come true winter I may use one- but still prefer just a longer skirt.

But only way to say for sure is try it yerself.

Yar a true skirt (above the knee) is a bit drafty sitting around- but if it's long enough to hit mid calf- it's long enough to sit quite ladylike and prim around camp and cover your knees/block the wind.

Turk6177
09-13-2016, 09:35
Thanks for the insight. I don't think I am going to add the wind pants, mainly because half of the reason I am switching to a kilt is to cut a few ounces. Adding the pants would put me at the same weight as my rain pants, however, with better function I suppose. I guess if I get too cold walking around camp, I always have the option of getting in my sleeping bag. If I end up freezing in the wind then I will reevaluate and possibly go for the wind pants on a later trip. I am hoping with smart wool long johns under the kilt in camp I will be plenty warm. You guys are the best. Thanks for taking the time to give me your experiences.

saltysack
09-13-2016, 09:53
Thanks for the insight. I don't think I am going to add the wind pants, mainly because half of the reason I am switching to a kilt is to cut a few ounces. Adding the pants would put me at the same weight as my rain pants, however, with better function I suppose. I guess if I get too cold walking around camp, I always have the option of getting in my sleeping bag. If I end up freezing in the wind then I will reevaluate and possibly go for the wind pants on a later trip. I am hoping with smart wool long johns under the kilt in camp I will be plenty warm. You guys are the best. Thanks for taking the time to give me your experiences.

I'll give you my $.02 in a few weeks after I try the dance pants in Co....$18 and 3.5 oz I'm optimistic.....

scottysan
09-13-2016, 11:14
Just did a 12-day trek with my son at Philmont this summer, and it rained everyday, hailed a lot too. We both used long rain kilts and rain gaiters with our coats. I was completely impressed with that setup...warm and dry, but easy to ventilate when it got warm. And I didn't have to drop my pack as often! Genius!

for reference, we bought one set, and MYOG the other

tflaris
09-14-2016, 08:59
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160914/5ef689a536740821fbf2b60a5fa2308d.jpg

Why wear one for just rain? Sport one all the time!

Just Bill
09-14-2016, 09:04

Why limit yourself to the trail?

tflaris
09-14-2016, 09:14
Awesome!