PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic along Skyline Drive

franklin73
09-13-2016, 05:14
My wife and I will be on Skyline Drive from Sept. 24-25.
We'll have gallon jugs of water, Little Debbie snacks, and a few BEERS.
We're wanting to spread some "Trail Magic" for any AT hikers we find.
So, if you see a black Jeep Grand Cherokee with Georgia plates flag us down.
We'll be keeping an eye out for any hikers at overlooks and trail crossings.
We'll also be at Loft Mountain Campground on the night of the 24th.
If anyone knows that they plan to be in this area during those days, please let me know if you have any needs.
God Bless You all hiking the AT.
HYOH! Yoosh!

greenpete
09-13-2016, 12:04
Very nice of you. I just hiked Shenandoah last year. At Brown's Gap, about a half mile north on the AT, there's a tent site on the left side of the trail. A bear lives there. He woke me up at 4 a.m., snorting outside my tent, then I saw him later that morning just after leaving camp. He might appreciate some berries or nuts or something!

Grunt
09-13-2016, 18:18
Very nice of you. I just hiked Shenandoah last year. At Brown's Gap, about a half mile north on the AT, there's a tent site on the left side of the trail. A bear lives there. He woke me up at 4 a.m., snorting outside my tent, then I saw him later that morning just after leaving camp. He might appreciate some berries or nuts or something!

Was there any water there? Be there is about 5 weeks

greenpete
09-14-2016, 12:14
The closest water was a pump at a picnic area (Dundo Picnic Grounds) just north of Blackrock Mtn., and about a mile south of Brown's Gap. The tent site has a cool "designer" bear bag beam that someone constructed, and it should've been a warning. But I think the brute was more spooked than me. After I yelled out, he sounded like a freight train plowing through the undergrowth.