PDA

View Full Version : What's a feasable distance to cover in an average day?

franklin73
09-13-2016, 05:18
I'm planning on doing some Georgia sections of the AT. What's an expected distance to cover in one day? I'm REALLY new to learning about the AT and I'm not sure how far between camping spots that allow a fire or shelter locations. Any help is appreciated.

rocketsocks
09-13-2016, 06:21
Generally speaking shelters are anywhere from 10-15 miles apart...not set in stone. Topography is prolly the biggest factor, and personal condition. But again generally speaking, 12-15 miles for a hiker isn't that hard.

rocketsocks
09-13-2016, 06:23
...and just so ya know, some folks (not many) are pretty super human and can cover a distance of 40-60 miles in a day.

franklin73
09-13-2016, 06:46
I'm 43, have lost 80 pounds this year and still around 100 to go. However, I am hiking 5-8 miles on Sunday mornings right now, to build my stamina and train somewhat. I'm not in to going fast in the woods. I'd rather take my time and enjoy the scenery. Are there camping locations available where a fire can be built say every 8 miles or so?

bigcranky
09-13-2016, 06:54
You are in luck. In Georgia, the first part of the trail breaks up pretty nicely into four or five 8-mile days.

Amicalola Falls to Springer on the Approach Trail, moderately difficult
Springer to Hawk Mountain, fairly moderate
Hawk to Gooch Mountain, several tough climbs early on
Gooch to Lance Creek tent sites, not too bad
Lance Creek to Neels Gap, tough climb over Blood Mountain

If you start at Springer, you get a four day >30 mile hike. Starting at the bottom at the state park adds a day.

Get one of the hiker guidebooks (Thru-Hiker's Companion or AT Guide); they have all the info you need on mileage, elevation profiles, and what you'll find where on the Trail.

franklin73
09-13-2016, 07:09
Thanks. I'm kinda waiting til the new AT book comes out next year. Unless I can find a used one to buy.

JC13
09-13-2016, 08:06
Thanks. I'm kinda waiting til the new AT book comes out next year. Unless I can find a used one to buy.
The .pdf version of AWOL is ~$8 from his site.

Dan Roper
09-13-2016, 08:14
How you fare on the Georgia section will vary tremendously depending on your condition and the weather. The eight-mile hike from the state park to Springer summit on a hot and humid summer day while out of shape, inexperienced, and toting an overly heavy pack is an entirely different experience than it is for a young, fit, experienced hiker doing it on a lovely, crisp autumn day. They are so different that they are not even comparable experiences.

Shooting for eight mile days in the autumn months is definitely reasonable for a newcomer who's been working to get into shape. And if you start at the forest service road a mile from the summit of Springer, a good bit of the first day will be downhill through lovely terrain that includes a pretty waterfall. It's a fine way to begin a section hike.

Good luck!

Odd Man Out
09-13-2016, 09:31

You will certainly want a guide for hiking, but for planning, there are lots of web sites that show shelter mileages, such as this one.
http://tnlandforms.us/at/

Just Bill
09-13-2016, 09:47
First time backpacker- in unfamiliar terrain- with a hair's worth of elevation and tricky trail... plan 5-8 miles per day.
Better to finish up rearing to go than have your first trip feel like a death march. And in reality, until you get the hang of it... 1 mile per hour tends to work out about right by the time the day is done. Yes you may actually walk faster, but some how after to break camp, gawk at views, fill water, check your shoes, adjust yer pack, set up camp and clean up for dinner the day tends to get away from you and you don't get as far as your pace might indicate.

Average AT hiker tends to be around 10-11 MPD to start anyway- so you're not too far off.
I want to say the average hiker (whole trail) hits about 15 MPD... a 20 is still considered a big day for most.

What matters most though is hours per day- don't plan on more than 6-8 hours moving to start. Hence the roughly 5-10 MPD target.

nsherry61
09-13-2016, 09:49
One point on mileage that is easy to overlook is the length of your hiking day.

If you wake up at 9 AM, eat breakfast, break camp, and hit the trail by 11 AM, then take an hour lunch break at 2 PM, then hike until 5 PM to stop in time to make dinner and camp before dark, you would be getting in a 5 hour hiking day and trying to get 10 miles would be a pretty steady push. Alternatively, if you wake up with the sun at 5:30 AM, grab a breakfast bar to eat while breaking camp and hit the trail by 6 AM, then hike semi-continuously until an hour before sunset at, say 9 PM (depending on the time of year), then your hiking day is is more than twice as long, allowing you to hike 14 miles while averaging only 1 mph on the trail vs. the shorter day where hiking twice as fast would only get you 10 miles down the trail.

So, although strength and fitness can play big roles in hiking miles, choices and behavior on the trail is probably even more important in determining mileage than strength and fitness.

Have fun out there and congratulations on getting active and fit!!

Runsalone
09-13-2016, 10:48
I would recommend doing shakedown hikes with full gear and enough weight added to simulate the food load you expect to carry on your section. Roughly 2lbs a day. Dont forget water is around 2lbs a liter. Since your in Woodstock, Amicalola is a great place to do this. The approach trail is pretty difficult and a good simulator for a large majority of the trail in Ga. The Hike Inn trail is significantly less difficult if your looking for a less strenuous test of the waters.

Dogwood
09-13-2016, 10:51
First time backpacker- in unfamiliar terrain- with a hair's worth of elevation and tricky trail... plan 5-8 miles per day.
Better to finish up rearing to go than have your first trip feel like a death march. And in reality, until you get the hang of it... 1 mile per hour tends to work out about right by the time the day is done. Yes you may actually walk faster, but some how after to break camp, gawk at views, fill water, check your shoes, adjust yer pack, set up camp and clean up for dinner the day tends to get away from you and you don't get as far as your pace might indicate.

Average AT hiker tends to be around 10-11 MPD to start anyway- so you're not too far off.
I want to say the average hiker (whole trail) hits about 15 MPD... a 20 is still considered a big day for most.

What matters most though is hours per day- don't plan on more than 6-8 hours moving to start. Hence the roughly 5-10 MPD target.

For the reasons given by JustBill in his post and what you intend you should strongly consider, and I'd strongly advise, NOT planning your section hikes in stone from AT shelter to AT shelter. You do NOT NEED to hike from shelter to shelter IF you carry your own shelter. Have the flexibility in your hike - in your daily mileage, which very well could be different from day to day - to NOT HAVE TO HIKE to the next shelter which may be further than 8 miles. PLENTY of campsites that break up mileage between shelters both on the Approach Tr and the AT proper.

If you do start at Amicalola Falls know there is a shelter at the park for hikers and the Black Gap Shelter is 6.2 miles from a start at the Amicalola Falls/Approach Tr TH.

+100 "Get one of the hiker guidebooks (Thru-Hiker's Companion or AT Guide); they have all the info you need on mileage, elevation profiles, and what you'll find where on the Trail."

Another Kevin
09-13-2016, 10:55
One point on mileage that is easy to overlook is the length of your hiking day.

If you wake up at 9 AM, eat breakfast, break camp, and hit the trail by 11 AM, then take an hour lunch break at 2 PM, then hike until 5 PM to stop in time to make dinner and camp before dark, you would be getting in a 5 hour hiking day and trying to get 10 miles would be a pretty steady push. Alternatively, if you wake up with the sun at 5:30 AM, grab a breakfast bar to eat while breaking camp and hit the trail by 6 AM, then hike semi-continuously until an hour before sunset at, say 9 PM (depending on the time of year), then your hiking day is is more than twice as long, allowing you to hike 14 miles while averaging only 1 mph on the trail vs. the shorter day where hiking twice as fast would only get you 10 miles down the trail.

So, although strength and fitness can play big roles in hiking miles, choices and behavior on the trail is probably even more important in determining mileage than strength and fitness.

Have fun out there and congratulations on getting active and fit!!

Yes!

For the first day or two of any outing, I'm always starting off exhausted from trying to juggle trip planning, packing, and putting things in order at work. The late start is just a given because I'll have been catching up on sleep. On the other hand, I don't mind making camp by headlamp. As long as I have enough twiliight to see to heave a bearbag line, I'm good. So the first day, with a late start, is likely to be 8 miles or less, and the second, 8-10. Thereafter, I can swing 10-12 in moderate terrain. That's right off the couch - except that the 'couch' for me involves carrying a heavy backpack at least 2-3 miles every single day, and I've enough backpacking experience that I don't blow a ton of time on messing about with unfamiliar gear and the like.

That's another thing for a beginner to watch out for - messing around with unfamiliar gear is going to cost you time that might otherwise have been spent walking. Just Bill's estimate of 5-8 miles for a total beginner in average terrain is pretty close. The point of the first couple of trips should be to have fun, learn your gear, get used to putting in a few miles loaded, and decide whether a longer trip is for you. (Backpacking isn't for everyone, and a lot of people give it up abruptly when their romantic expectations are dashed against the rocks of reality.)

I'm never on trail long enough really to find my trail legs. On one section hike (which was interrupted for a few days by an illness - so I'm calling it two long weekends and still claiming 'clueless weekender' status), I found myself doing a couple of 14-15's on days 6-7, not because I was in a hurry, but just because I wasn't ready to stop at three in the afternoon. I can imagine that if I'd been doing it for a month, the 14-15's would get to be fairly routine.

On some of the other major trails, you HAVE to make big miles sometimes if you're going to make it to your next water source with the load you're able to carry. On the A-T, which is well watered and almost always near a town, you can be darned near as lazy as you please.

Dogwood
09-13-2016, 11:05
There's an assumption that one must make the miles from water source to water source each day. This is not a given if water logistical tactics bare more widely considered or camping AT A WATER SOURCE is NOT required. A good article was written by Drew Smith concerning this: http://www.trailgroove.com/issue29.html?autoflip=107

nsherry61
09-13-2016, 11:34
. . . camping AT A WATER SOURCE is NOT required. A good article was written by Drew Smith concerning this: http://www.trailgroove.com/issue29.html?autoflip=107
Good article. Thanks for the link.

Along these lines, and surprisingly not addressed in the above article, is another point that can play a role in the length of your hiking day, at least during our long summer days. Eat dinner early, at or near a water source (maybe your last water source of the day), and then hike until sunset or whatever. That way, you don't have to carry nearly as much water in the evening to your dry camp because dinner and lots of drinking was done at the water source. Doing this also keeps food smells to a minimum at your campsite which can be a benefit if vermin (large or small) are a concern.

Dogwood
09-13-2016, 12:10
Stop acting as if a human's behavior has any consequences that cause situations Nsherry. Let's talk about problem bears and problem mice and problem snakes as IF these "problems" fell out of the sky. Let's talk about guns and bear sprays and and killing these vermin not human behavior. ;)

10-K
09-13-2016, 12:26
Good article. Thanks for the link.

Along these lines, and surprisingly not addressed in the above article, is another point that can play a role in the length of your hiking day, at least during our long summer days. Eat dinner early, at or near a water source (maybe your last water source of the day), and then hike until sunset or whatever. That way, you don't have to carry nearly as much water in the evening to your dry camp because dinner and lots of drinking was done at the water source. Doing this also keeps food smells to a minimum at your campsite which can be a benefit if vermin (large or small) are a concern.

This is exactly what I do. In addition to what you've listed the break also gives me a chance to rest up for a minute and almost always lets me add 5-8 or so more miles to my day during summer hours.

FreeGoldRush
09-13-2016, 12:43
I'm planning on doing some Georgia sections of the AT. What's an expected distance to cover in one day? I'm REALLY new to learning about the AT and I'm not sure how far between camping spots that allow a fire or shelter locations. Any help is appreciated.

My hiking experience has shown that hours on my feet is more significant than miles walked. I'm 46 and sit at every opportunity while preferring to walk at 3.3 mph. While hiking we have met and talked to a number of long distance hikers who are comfortable resting and socializing while standing. So I can do 12 to 13 miles but not if I'm standing around talking. :)

Puddlefish
09-13-2016, 12:47
I hit the trail slightly out of shape, and managed 7-8 miles a day without pain. I woke early, ate well, and didn't rush. I stopped for an hour each day at lunch time and aired out my feet. I treated hot spots immediately before they turned into blisters. I just took it easy, and ended catching up to a lot of people who started fast and had to take multiple zero days for blisters.

Initially I was dragging by three PM and would start looking for water and a flat place to stop. After hiking one afternoon without water, I started paying more attention to water sources as places to eat and load up with water before reaching the final campsite. There were some campsites/shelters with the "nearby" water sources at the bottom of cliffs.

dudeijuststarted
09-13-2016, 13:04

If you're new to hiking (especially the AT,) consider 8-10 mile days and enjoy being out there in nature. Being concerned with distance covered can be the "wrong foot to start off on," for myriad reasons.

hobbs
09-13-2016, 13:22
I agree with alot of people..8 to 10 is good and if your making good time you can increase your mileage..This month and next are great times to hike it..Have fun

rafe
09-13-2016, 17:29

My take is, if you have to ask, be conservative. Fortunately, the GA part of the AT is fairly open to camping opportunities -- but forget the idea of making a fire wherever you camp.

If you've never hiked any part of the AT (or similar mountainous terrain) then best to figure five to eight miles per day, maybe even less.

Lnj
09-14-2016, 15:27
I just recently hiked Amicalola, the Approach trail at something even less than a snail's pace. I hiked with my daughter and it was her first time out overnight, so I wanted to make it as stress-free and fun as possible. We averaged 3 miles/day but we had a blast! I am anti-shelter, so that was never a concern for me, but I will say that the approach trail has campsites about every mile or so. You can stop pretty much just whenever you feel like it. Just be sure you have a good shelter and you'll be set. Certainly take the first few days very deliberately slow, to allow your body to begin to acclimate to the environment and the hike. Pain does not equal fun. Five to 8 miles per day is a good rule of thumb for a start.

Turk6177
09-14-2016, 15:34
I would tend to agree with the variables, most being physical condition and pack weight. The good thing about GA, however is there are so many camp sites in addition to the shelters that you can pretty much start looking or deciding where you want to stay at the end of your day. You will almost always be within an hour of the next spot. While this doesn't help you plan where to park your car or schedule your shuttle, it certainly makes worrying about a camp spot not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dervari
09-14-2016, 18:09
If you do start at Amicalola Falls know there is a shelter at the park for hikers and the Black Gap Shelter is 6.2 miles from a start at the Amicalola Falls/Approach Tr TH.

It's actually 7.3 miles from the trailhead located behind the visitors center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
09-14-2016, 18:46
While I generally agree with the 8-12mpd advice, keep in mind that if a person is not used to hiking with a pack multiple days then day two or three is often harder than day one because of how tired you can get. A lot of times if a person does 10 or 12 miles on day one, they may only do 6-7 on day three. It does get better though.

Another Kevin
09-14-2016, 19:00
While I generally agree with the 8-12mpd advice, keep in mind that if a person is not used to hiking with a pack multiple days then day two or three is often harder than day one because of how tired you can get. A lot of times if a person does 10 or 12 miles on day one, they may only do 6-7 on day three. It does get better though.

You have a point, there. The delayed-onset muscle soreness is a killer. I tend to forget that since 2-3 miles with a pack every day seems to be enough to keep most of that at bay.

rafe
09-14-2016, 19:06

Excellent point. I frequently "surprise" myself with big miles on the first day of a section hike... then pay for it on day two.

Kerosene
09-14-2016, 19:37
I concur with the 5-8 mpd recommendation for a new backpacker on the unfamiliar Georgia AT. You can always hike a bit further if you'd like, but there's no reason to turn it into a death march.

Walking 8 miles a day is a lot different than carrying a 30-lb pack over 8 miles of somewhat rugged trail. Start with low expectations and build up from there...if you get done a day or two early you can either keep hiking or camp for a night! Note that a lot of backpackers new to the AT describe Georgia as "hard". I had done at least a thousand miles in the middle states before I got down to Georgia in April 2004 as a 47-year old; Georgia was a lot easier than I anticipated, but I still started out with three consecutive 12-mile days (we were walking with an aspiring thru-hiker) before kicking it up to three 18-mile days (started at Amicalola Lodge and ended at Standing Indian).

Over the years I've learned that most people -- and especially those from "flat" states -- really don't know what it entails to hike up and then down all day. Having grown up in the Northeast and played soccer most of my life (read, over-developed quads and great cardio endurance), it never bothered me to exert myself for miles at a time (okay, it bothered me in that I was working hard, but I never thought of it as an insurmountable or desperately uncomfortable task). Your 5-8 mile daily walks certainly help, but they're not the same thing as backpacking. Do a few overnighter and weekend hikes before you start out so you are familiar with your equipment and can get some practice in with inclement weather.

Don't let any of the advice provided herein keep you from getting out there and trying it! I'm amazed at what people can accomplish if they have prepared to some extent and are can deal with the inevitable discomfort.

Hikingjim
09-14-2016, 19:56
for someone with a heavy pack and inadequate fitness for sustained climbing.... 5-7 miles
good fitness, decent pack weight, 10 miles+

Dogwood
09-14-2016, 20:27
It's actually 7.3 miles from the trailhead located behind the visitors center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thx, for the correction. I simply shot that out without looking it up.

skater
09-14-2016, 20:30
Given your conditioning, training and attitude (which is excellent), you need to plan on 5-8 miles/day. You might be able to do more, but hiking over Justus or Sassafras is NOT like anything you'll encounter in Woodstock. Shelters tend to be about every 8 miles in GA. There are few places where you can go more than 5 miles here without encountering at least a fire ring though. Shelters are way over-rated. I'm not saying to avoid them but don't be afraid to camp in between. There are some great trailside spots.
If you go out this year, pay very close attention to water reports, especially Gooch Gap to Neel Gap.
Feel free to PM me if you want more specific advice on a particular section in GA.

BonBon
09-15-2016, 06:04
You are in luck. In Georgia, the first part of the trail breaks up pretty nicely into four or five 8-mile days.

Amicalola Falls to Springer on the Approach Trail, moderately difficult
Springer to Hawk Mountain, fairly moderate
Hawk to Gooch Mountain, several tough climbs early on
Gooch to Lance Creek tent sites, not too bad
Lance Creek to Neels Gap, tough climb over Blood Mountain

If you start at Springer, you get a four day >30 mile hike. Starting at the bottom at the state park adds a day.

Get one of the hiker guidebooks (Thru-Hiker's Companion or AT Guide); they have all the info you need on mileage, elevation profiles, and what you'll find where on the Trail.

What he said:)

Maineiac64
09-15-2016, 11:28
From Woodstock there are some really good training opportunities close by, pine mountain in cartersville, kennesaw to little kennesaw and around loop is about 7 miles, and pine log mountain outside waleska is a nice 5 mile loop with a good hill. These are very similar to what you will find on AT.

I was off a foot surgery and out of shape and was able to do 9 miles in 5 hours on day hike from Springer lot, up to Springer and then down to 3 forks and back, with a fairly light day pack and it was HOT. I did a few of these and then did 8-10 miles with a full pack camping out as I got into better shape. My advice is similar to above, take it easy, don't rush and worry about distance, take breaks, enjoy the trail as it is incredible. Get up early and ahike until 3 or 4 and enjoy the evening in the woods, then do it again.

Uncle Joe
09-19-2016, 17:37
I did the Approach recently after doing all of the GA section of the AT. I'm glad I didn't do the Approach first. I was asked by someone on the trail about "the rest of the AT." I told them the hike from Springer to Hawk Mtn Shelter will not prepare you for what follows after. The Approach does. The Approach, however, is a bit of baptism by fire. It's a tough day of climbing and if you're new to hiking and are concerned about what you can handle, I'd suggest starting at Springer. You get about 8mi of hiking(technically 9mi because you have to hike .9 mi back to Springer from the parking lot then turn around and head back north) before hitting the Hightower-to-Gooch section where you get a lot more climbing. In that 8 miles you'll pass Springer Mtn Shelter (mile .1 if that), Stover Creek Shelter (mile 2.8) and Hawk Mtn Shelter (mile 8.1). After that the shelters space out considerably more. Of course there are campsites along the way as well.

evyck da fleet
09-19-2016, 21:41
Kennesaw Mtn is a great place to start. From the visitor center to Burnt Hickory is about 3 miles and there are water fountains at both locations. You can hike over both Kennesaw and Little Kennesaw and then come back over them or go around them on a flat trail. You're other option is to drive to Amicalola and hike 3 or 4 miles out and then return to your car, parking at either the top of the falls or the bottom depending on your conditioning.

Rope Mill and Red Top Mtn may be closer if you are a real newb and need to build up stamina miles and figure out your pack weight before driving up to the AT

-Rush-
09-20-2016, 22:31
Just remember this.. distance is all about hours hiked and not speed. So, get up early and throw down camp late. You should be able to easily cover 10-15 miles. I'd say most hikers just starting out on the AT from Amicalola Falls fall anywhere from 6-14 miles per day fro the average hikers. 10-20 for the experienced hiker.

-Rush-
09-20-2016, 22:33
Kennesaw Mtn is a great place to start. From the visitor center to Burnt Hickory is about 3 miles and there are water fountains at both locations. You can hike over both Kennesaw and Little Kennesaw and then come back over them or go around them on a flat trail. You're other option is to drive to Amicalola and hike 3 or 4 miles out and then return to your car, parking at either the top of the falls or the bottom depending on your conditioning.

Rope Mill and Red Top Mtn may be closer if you are a real newb and need to build up stamina miles and figure out your pack weight before driving up to the AT

A good 8-mile loop at Kennesaw Mountain is starting at Pigeon Hill Trail, hiking to the summit, down to the visitors center, and looping around past Camp Brumby back to Pigeon Hill Trailhead. It's about 7-8 miles. Pretty easy hike.

Another Kevin
09-20-2016, 23:08
Just remember this.. distance is all about hours hiked and not speed. So, get up early and throw down camp late. You should be able to easily cover 10-15 miles. I'd say most hikers just starting out on the AT from Amicalola Falls fall anywhere from 6-14 miles per day fro the average hikers. 10-20 for the experienced hiker.

Hiking more hours is easier said than done for the newbie. The experienced guys tend to forget how long the camp chores take when you're not used to them, and the newbies - or even someone like me who never goes long enough at a crack to find the "trail legs" - can't keep up the walking for all that many hours, particularly if there's any significant elevation gain.

rocketsocks
09-20-2016, 23:17
My duty cycle is about 5 miles before I break it off and have to rest.

-Rush-
09-23-2016, 02:29
Hiking more hours is easier said than done for the newbie. The experienced guys tend to forget how long the camp chores take when you're not used to them, and the newbies - or even someone like me who never goes long enough at a crack to find the "trail legs" - can't keep up the walking for all that many hours, particularly if there's any significant elevation gain.

I hear ya.. but even the most challenged hikers I've met on the trail were able to get to the next shelter (5-10 miles) by 6pm if they started early. IMO, Trail legs don't kick in until 150-250 miles of continual daily hiking, so that's not even a factor for most unless they are LASHing or thru-hiking. It's also very dependent on when you tackle the elevation. ie - If they try to climb out of the NOC after leaving out of Cold Spring Shelter it's going to be a lot harder than if they start that ascent fresh in the morning.

Another Kevin
09-27-2016, 15:30
I hear ya.. but even the most challenged hikers I've met on the trail were able to get to the next shelter (5-10 miles) by 6pm if they started early. IMO, Trail legs don't kick in until 150-250 miles of continual daily hiking, so that's not even a factor for most unless they are LASHing or thru-hiking. It's also very dependent on when you tackle the elevation. ie - If they try to climb out of the NOC after leaving out of Cold Spring Shelter it's going to be a lot harder than if they start that ascent fresh in the morning.

Oh, yeah, no problem making it to the next shelter or campsite. They come frequently on the A-T.

I was more commenting to the people who were saying that "all" you need to do to crank out a 20-mile day is to hike 10 hours a day - a newbie can't do that yet. And the newbie surely can't do it on the second day after trying to do it on the first. They need both to get efficient enough with the camp chores that they can roll for that length of time, and build up the endurance so that they don't kill themselves in the process. That takes a while.

I do agree that if you have a choice, putting the strenuous stuff early in the day is a good idea. I have ample experience with that from weekending and short-sectioning. My usual hiking style is short mileage on trails that are harder than the AT.